Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Genos is a bit of a glass cannon. In terms of pure destructive power he's closer to the top of S I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It's kind of dumb to argue about power levels in this particular Japanese comic book.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's kind of dumb to argue about power levels in this particular Japanese comic book.

Nah, they have a pretty good bit about what the S class is all about and why it is the way it is, and it actually reflects pretty well on the Hero Association as a whole.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
outside of a couple extreme circumstances heroes are generally put in at least the letter rank they deserve.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Regardless of how strong he is, Genos is a good kid.

Even Sneck is a good guy underneath it all, too.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

watchdogman contains the properties of both watch and dog

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Is there some relevance to watchdogman guarding Q-city? Some dumb japanese pun?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
He's a dog that protects his territory?

He's a guard dog.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kild posted:

Sneck is Rank 37... You're saying Genos is as strong as him? No way. Pri Pri is an S-rank that lost to Sea King and Genos was holding his own until he protected the kid.

Oh no, I'm not saying that. I just don't remember how ranks work and thought that A-rank started at 100. I still think Genos is generally overestimated by the Hero Association since he can't reliably be sent out to end fights though. But then again, Tank Top Master's still in so y'know, it's whatever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RareAcumen posted:

Oh no, I'm not saying that. I just don't remember how ranks work and thought that A-rank started at 100. I still think Genos is generally overestimated by the Hero Association since he can't reliably be sent out to end fights though. But then again, Tank Top Master's still in so y'know, it's whatever.

Genos is as reliable as anyone in the S class other than maybe Tornado in ending threats. We're just reading about all the times when he had to Worf Out to build the cred for some new monster before the strongest being in the history of the universe killed it with one hit.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

He's a dog that protects his territory?

He's a guard dog.

I meant Q-city specifically.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's a def ar reference to Hachiko, a famous dog that waited by the station for it's master to return from the hospital for nine years after his master's death. iirc Garou finds Watchdogman by waiting by his famous observation platform in Q- City. Hachiko has a bronze statue of himself up in Shibuya. They're also both good and faithful dogs

Genos is very powerful, he's just 18 and completely ignores any kind of defense. Part of me thinks he probably would've beaten the Sea King if he didn't sacrifice himself. But also Genos is two notches below Watchdogman so the S-Class ranking scale is all kinds of hosed up, but Genos is def S-Class.

really great chapter, I can't believe the watchdogman joke keeps getting better. I was really frustrated with Saitama this chapter, but mostly for just how I've exactly been there, the whole "I'm incredibly unhappy with my life right now, but also doing anything to fix it sounds like an utter chore"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Goddammit, now I'm doing it.

Stupid theory: Watchdog Man went through the same poo poo Saitama did (I am become too powerful, life is boring), and decided that because he couldn't get a good fight, he'd just choose a gimmick at random and throw himself wholeheartedly into it as a means to keep himself occupied.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Why does everyone remember Genos as being younger than he is? I saw someone think he was 16-17, now 18.

He's 19, he mentions this early on. He might be 20 at this point.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that was me both times.

who can say how old a cyborg is. is genos even human anymore? are any of us?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Maybe they're confusing Genos' age with his rank.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I think there is a gif of a Shiba Inu whose master is doing something obnoxious and the doge just puts its paw on their hand firmly to make them stop. That's what the watchdog man fight reminded me of.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I have an akita and she does the paw thing when I'm gonna give her a bath

It's really pathetic and makes me feel bad :qq:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Fellis posted:

I think there is a gif of a Shiba Inu whose master is doing something obnoxious and the doge just puts its paw on their hand firmly to make them stop. That's what the watchdog man fight reminded me of.

I don't know about annoying, but this is a very good dog with a cape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4oQ-0ZBFDM

And More fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 23, 2017

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I love how King pulled the same thing Saitama did to Genos, and basically quoted some manga to sound like they were being very deep and learned.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

RedMagus posted:

I love how King pulled the same thing Saitama did to Genos, and basically quoted some manga to sound like they were being very deep and learned.

Birds of a feather...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You know a series is good when it can have a super strong and good chapter consisting mostly of two knuckleheads shooting the poo poo. Also the dog was extremely good.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Goddammit, now I'm doing it.

Stupid theory: Watchdog Man went through the same poo poo Saitama did (I am become too powerful, life is boring), and decided that because he couldn't get a good fight, he'd just choose a gimmick at random and throw himself wholeheartedly into it as a means to keep himself occupied.

Isn't it fun?!

Now whenever something new comes in you'll enjoy it and think "hmmm how does watchdog man fit into all this?"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

that was me both times.

who can say how old a cyborg is. is genos even human anymore? are any of us?

Don't feel too bad, I read discussions off these boards too and they also get it wrong. But you know, Internet.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Donkringel posted:

Isn't it fun?!

Now whenever something new comes in you'll enjoy it and think "hmmm how does watchdog man fit into all this?"

Nope, I'm over it now. Wouldn't mind seeing more shake-fu, though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

And More posted:

I don't know about annoying, but this is a very good dog with a cape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4oQ-0ZBFDM

Hey thanks! It wasn't that video but it was that account. I think the specific one I was thinking of was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGoWAM0jhT0

It's basically that fight but instead of punching its kissing

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RedMagus posted:

I have learned all of my life lessons from the infinite wisdom given to me by Japanese Manga.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Moltrey posted:

It's a def ar reference to Hachiko, a famous dog that waited by the station for it's master to return from the hospital for nine years after his master's death. iirc Garou finds Watchdogman by waiting by his famous observation platform in Q- City. Hachiko has a bronze statue of himself up in Shibuya. They're also both good and faithful dogs

Genos is very powerful, he's just 18 and completely ignores any kind of defense. Part of me thinks he probably would've beaten the Sea King if he didn't sacrifice himself. But also Genos is two notches below Watchdogman so the S-Class ranking scale is all kinds of hosed up, but Genos is def S-Class.

really great chapter, I can't believe the watchdogman joke keeps getting better. I was really frustrated with Saitama this chapter, but mostly for just how I've exactly been there, the whole "I'm incredibly unhappy with my life right now, but also doing anything to fix it sounds like an utter chore"

I'm pretty sure ONE confirmed that Genos would have won against Sea King if he hadn't gotten the acid.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This whole argument is bordering on silly because King is an S class hero who should NOT be even a hero. This is because the Hero Association is terrible at properly classifying not only monster threats but hero strengths.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 24, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

This whole argument is boring on silly because King is an S class hero who should NOT be even a hero. This is because the Hero Association is terrible at properly classifying not only monster threats but hero strengths.

You take that back..

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kild posted:

You take that back..

Yeah. Seems pretty crazy to say the guy who took down Vaccine Man isn't S rank material, you know?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They might be really incompetent at picking good heroes from bad ones (Sweet Amai Mask, Blizzard etc) but they still nailed Genos rank in the association. Mainly because other heroes are just that much weaker than him.

The problem is that we're only shown fights he has where Saitama has to clean up for him, so he gives an impression of being, as someone else said here, a glass cannon. When he is really anything but that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think the idea is that the hero association's grading is fairly accurate at least 80% of the time or so. but when you have a really obvious outlier like saitama or king, the system has no way of correcting itself at all or accommodating for individuals who don't perfectly fit their somewhat rigid criteria for heroes (saitama just barely made it into C rank, despite making a records shattering score on the physical exam. his outstanding physical exam wasn't considered as any better than genos' by the grading system, despite the hilarious difference in strength between them). if you're not making perfect scores on half the exam, the system probably works out mostly ok.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
You can't really blame the HA. They cannot be expected to calibrate their tests to accurately measure the power of the Strongest Man on Earth. Say they do that and a bunch of A-C class heroes don't even rank because you're weighted towards "strongest man on earth".

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Plus, I kind of assumed the written test Saitama failed on was stuff like first aid, evacuation procedures, how to find Sea King without stealing Mumen Rider's phone...

Saitama is a good punchman, but as we keep seeing, there's more to being a hero than punches.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

king is stronger than saitama but it was boring so he stopped

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Elfface posted:

Plus, I kind of assumed the written test Saitama failed on was stuff like first aid, evacuation procedures, how to find Sea King without stealing Mumen Rider's phone...

Saitama is a good punchman, but as we keep seeing, there's more to being a hero than punches.

I thought it was stuff like "a villain is holding a hostage at gunpoint. How do you handle this situation?" And saitama's answer was "just punch him before he can shoot." Which rightfully should raise some red flags about any hero that isn't saitama.

I don't remember if there was much info at all about the content about the written exam, other than "saitama definitely doesn't care enough or have thought about this enough to get a good score"

I think generally the issue is less "heroes are often not placed where they should be," and more "when a hero DOES get misplaced, the system just shrugs and says 'eat poo poo nerd'"

"Some dude did great on the physical exam but doesn't know the first thing about being a hero, better stick him in C and see what happens" sounds reasonable until you actually look at saitama, who shattered the gym the exam took place in and still got put in C, and despite being a known part of preventing multiple major disasters (the meteor, sea king, I don't remember if the HA knows that he was there for boros) the general assumption is "oh, this low ranker just happened to be nearby when some S ranks took care of the problem. Give him a couple points for being able to stay alive, I guess." The system just stops functioning correctly when someone is misplaced to that degree.

I guess he's rising slowly, so theoretically he Eventually gets put where he deserves, but who knows how long that could take.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
My crackpot nanomachines theory is that Watchdogman is the brain of a dog placed in the body of a human that has been dressed up in a dog suit. Dogs see human beings as basically gods, so when the dog brain realized it was in a human body, it realized that it was all-powerful, but because it is A Good Dog, it did not become corrupted by that strength. Also he fights by being A Good Dog Who Does Tricks.

Genos is the concept of Japanese guilt about abandoning the younger generation to try to find meaning through flashy but ultimately fragile and insubstantial technological baubles, or he is a lizard.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Genos frequently has limbs removed only to have them grow back later.

The lizard theory checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
My theory is that watchdogman is a guy in a dog suit.