Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Nichael posted:

I think it does too, it's just still not "greatest game of all time" material that people make it out to be, and a lot of flaws exist in it that people ignore.

first of all i want to know waht your greatest game of all time is.

we need a baseline here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

I'd go as far to say it is great, but it is by no means transcendental. And yeah, I still like Dragon Age a lot better.

Yeah thought so

You like dumb and bad games

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Schnorkles posted:

i liked new vegas lots and lots

New Vegas was amazing.

Fallout 4 was bad.

Witcher 3 was fantastic.

Inquisition was good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Everyone one knows black people werent invented till after mideaval times or whenever made up era witcher three takes place.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I'm a little ways into Horizon Zero Dawn and I think its setting is the end result of trump?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I'm a little ways into Horizon Zero Dawn and I think its setting is the end result of trump?
no that's LISA

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

fallout 4 was a step down from even fallout 3 in every aspect other than combat and even then the combat wasn't good enough to make up for everything else like encounter design and pacing and overall cohesion being much worse

All the Nick Valentine related quests are better than any 3 quest. The entire game should've been Nick Valentine and friends solving mysteries tbh

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

i also agree with the fact that heller changed the calculus somewhat. He's been a good party soldier up until this point and collins and murkowski being critical while not coming out and saying "we won't vote for this crap" indicated that the internal deliberations were still ongoing and McConnell had his caucus generally on board. Heller felt absolutely required to come out firmly against, and that's changed things.

not believing poo poo until they actually vote no

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Agrajag posted:

we need a baseline here.

Spider-Man 2 for the ps2

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i wish bethesda had obsidian do fallout tactics 2, that kind of thing sounds more their jam at the size of their company

the only bad thing about fallout tactics was that it suffered due to that weird rear end matchmaking platform back in the day.... i totally forget what it was called but it was baaaaaaaaad

gamespy?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Vertical Lime posted:

not believing poo poo until they actually vote no

i think this is also fair, because i think there's plenty of maneuvering to get to yes rn. The question is whether or not you can get 50 votes maneuvered into place

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nichael posted:

All the Nick Valentine related quests are better than any 3 quest. The entire game should've been Nick Valentine and friends solving mysteries tbh
every other character had their own plot line that would have made a more interesting game to base off of than the actual main character

which is a pretty common theme among bethesda games. i understand it for everything but fallout 4, which your character has no actual reason to just go around moleying everything and everywhere

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Agrajag posted:

we need a baseline here.

I don't have one, but I think the games that had the most impact on me were EVE and Command & Conquer.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not liking witcher 3 for dumb reasons like saying "other games have it!!!!!" Without taking the brain power to see wht TW3 does it better or even failing to notice that it does it better makes u a slackjawed mongrel w BADONG opinions

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Nichael posted:

It's a Polish setting that liberally uses mythology from non-Polish sources, but doesn't show non-whites at all because "whoops we forgot they exist"

Witcher 3 has better animations, but Inquisition has better customization.

no it didn't

every single piece of armor was disgustingly designed and also the colors were sooooooooooo glaringly poo poo

like the top tier pieces of crafted armor was this puke white dragon leather armor poo poo that also looked hilariously stupid as heeeeell

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Phi230 posted:

Not liking witcher 3 for dumb reasons like saying "other games have it!!!!!" Without taking the brain power to see wht TW3 does it better or even failing to notice that it does it better makes u a slackjawed mongrel w BADONG opinions

u care a whole lot about bideo games

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dark Souls gets the death, misery, and decay of the world right

I like dead and miserable poo poo in a garbage world

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

MariusLecter posted:

Everyone one knows black people werent invented till after mideaval times or whenever made up era witcher three takes place.

The reason given by the main dev is his claim that there were no black people in Medieval "Bohemia".

Maybe he's right, but it's a game filled with monsters and magic set in a fantasy world not a medieval Poland simulator.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nichael posted:

The politics (and optics!) are a lot different. Global culture is effectively dominated by images of white people, so having yet another all white game is not great.

I think Japan has a bigger influence on global culture than Poland

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

my favorite game of the last few years is dragon's dogma

which makes me a very bad person probably

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Agrajag posted:

the only bad thing about fallout tactics was that it suffered due to that weird rear end matchmaking platform back in the day.... i totally forget what it was called but it was baaaaaaaaad

gamespy?
yep :rip:

fallout tactics is also how a modern "2d" fallout game would be, turn based tactics is pretty much what every tile RPG was leading up to and xcom more or less proved that

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
this all looks bad.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

Lol this photo could have been a hilarious joke in a movie or tv show as recently as a year ago

could have?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I said repeatedly just now that the Witcher 3 is a great game lol

it's not the "greatest game" though which is a fair assessment!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
witcher 3 is an incredibly well made terrible video game

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

11 pages from no we're gonna get to the only sequential three digit number that is also a sentence

"One to three."

:smuggo:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

click on the number of replies

Nichael posted:

click the number of replies in the list of threads

ty lesser posters

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Nichael posted:

I feel like if I post this in the Witcher thread, I'll be run off, and if I post it in the Dragon Age thread... I'll also be run off so I'm posting it in the Trmup Thread.

After finally playing The Witcher 3, and being nearly done with the base game, it's undoubtedly good, but it is no way "the best game ever", and a lot of the flaws it has are the very same flaws that video game nerds complained about with Inquisition (like the fact that the vast majority of W3's open world secondary quests are garbage. also it's funny that they complain about bioware romances being bad when every woman in the witcher is desperate to gently caress Geralt). It also has literally no non-white people, and only like 1.5 gay people, which is kind of hosed up.

Its good and the romances are good because its funny that geralt has terrible taste in women. I really enjoyed watching him make terrible decisions like diving into sewage and swimming 20 feet under water to retrieve 10g worth of alchemy supplies, or giving half his gwent winnings away to someone because they were hot enough that he couldn't say no.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

juche avocado posted:

"One to three."

:smuggo:

to is not a verb

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

at least bernie gives a poo poo

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/878735932282851329

it's in pittsburgh

where are the pittsburgh-obsessed people itt

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
fallout 4 was actually hella good suck it goons :flipoff:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

please make more games where society has proceeded past despair and are content to wallow in their anguish/own feces

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also new vegas is one of the best games ever made and is also a giant pile of poo poo coding-wise

not mutually exclusive

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Agrajag posted:

no it didn't

every single piece of armor was disgustingly designed and also the colors were sooooooooooo glaringly poo poo

like the top tier pieces of crafted armor was this puke white dragon leather armor poo poo that also looked hilariously stupid as heeeeell
I'm not talking about that, I mean the player character is a lot more customizable in terms of other things.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think Japan has a bigger influence on global culture than Poland
except it doesn't take place in Poland, and liberally uses non-Polish mythology in other places

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

to is not a verb

neither is eight

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vertical Lime posted:

at least bernie gives a poo poo

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/878735932282851329

it's in pittsburgh

where are the pittsburgh-obsessed people itt
sentenced to 30 days of salt mining in sports argument stadium

never post in SAS, not even once

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yep :rip:

fallout tactics is also how a modern "2d" fallout game would be, turn based tactics is pretty much what every tile RPG was leading up to and xcom more or less proved that

i really awnt to like xcom but i just could never get into the design and aesthetics choices of that game. i love the fallout design/lore/aesthetics more.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

CUBA SI
CASTRO NO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weeping Wound posted:

please make more games where society has proceeded past despair and are content to wallow in their anguish/own feces

I like the ones where humanity is dying out and everybody's basically ok with is. Like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou or Humanity is Declining

• Locked thread