Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

For anyone that watched Fargo S3.

Ortwin = VM Varga
Croberts = Emmit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I knew there was a reason I still had this thread bookmarked.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Derek they're saying bad things about you

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6ja465/derek_smart_questiondo_his_criticisms_have_any/

Not sure it's related to Star Citizen related subreddit rules though

his nibs fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 24, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So, just for redit people reading, here is a re cap:

CIG took backers money then gave it all to a loan company

lol

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
reddit

http://i.imgur.com/00sOtZB.gifv
goons

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I think they'll try to keep up the charade until the end of the year (complete with holiday stream), then wind it down in a hurry starting in January. Croberts and his merry band of grifters will be gone by end of March, and that will be the end.

Bonus prediction: there won't be a single playable minute of SQ42 released. All that mo-cap and all that money for actors for maybe a 15 minute long clip reel that someone slaps together on their way out the door. I can't wait.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:eyepop:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

I've never ever seen such hilarity as backers trying to explain that getting a loan does NOT mean CIG need money. This truly is something to behold :lol:

My favorite is the speculation that CIG needed the money to buy the Imaginarium to start doing mo-cap for the S42 sequel chapters.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

D_Smart posted:

Yeah it is awkward - and confusing. But make no mistake, they attached everything.

But remember that F42-UK and CIG-UK are both subsidiaries of the parent company in the US. So this loan is a "pass through". Those entities don't "own" anything. The parent company owns all of it. Which is why the charge was also levied on the parent company's UK office.

The UK companies aren't subsidiaries of a US company, the UK group is controlled by Chris Roberts personally. They are related parties though because both groups are under control of the Crob.

There was something in the accounts in 2015 that now makes sense though. In 2015 CIG UK purchased IP property for £1.3m, performed a partial sale of £0.6m while retaining IP worth £1.3m. I suspect that was them transferring the IP to the UK since what other IP could it realistically be? For some reason it wasn't disclosed as a related party transaction, possibly shenanigans.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

best gif

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

So, they effectively sold the project to a bank. They could pretty much take the loan money, cross their 't's and dot their 'i's, pay out bonuses to the execs, and walk away.

Watch the loan be only for something like $15 million.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

how long until CIG announces F42 is the studio that all the motion capture was made through / has ownership of

So when they default on the loan F42 will go tits up, and with it all the Mocap data

welp sorry folks I guess we have to go back and mocap everything again please buy more ships

Also please help fund my new kickstarter for Squadron Chapter 11

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

XK posted:

So, they effectively sold the project to a bank. They could pretty much take the loan money, cross their 't's and dot their 'i's, pay out bonuses to the execs, and walk away.

Watch the loan be only for something like $15 million.

Are they even able to use the game as collateral, since it's probably a tricky relationship issue with Amazon as well?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Golli posted:

For anyone that watched Fargo S3.

Ortwin = VM Varga
Croberts = Emmit

:perfect:

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
I'm just waiting for users like Iwasted10bux and lurkeskywalker to weigh in on this debacle

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Oh boy. Every week it's something new and terrible with CIG isn't it?

I am going to miss it when it's over and done.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I expect Ben will make a massive effort post over the weekend, or they will wheel him out on camera Monday to explain the misunderstanding

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Beet officially not funny :negative:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
I think you guys are missing that this deal is more of a strategic partnership than a desperate last resort. Like Amazon, Coutts & Co now have a vested interest in making sure that Star Citizen is the premier videogame simulator on the market. Think of it like a 5th studio expansion with a new trove of resources and connections to tap into. Can you feel the synergy? I can.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

I think you guys are missing that this deal is more of a strategic partnership than a desperate last resort. Like Amazon, Coutts & Co now have a vested interest in making sure that Star Citizen is the premier videogame simulator on the market. Think of it like a 5th studio expansion with a new trove of resources and connections to tap into. Can you feel the synergy? I can.

cool. everything is good.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

MoooooooMMMAAAAAA... Come out to plaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy...

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

:kiss:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Tippis posted:

We already know what will happen based on those rare days when CIG isn't screwing up. With nothing to share a laugh over, we'll quickly turn on each other, screeching and clawing our eyes out. We'll become eternal enemies, devoting the rest of our bitter, hateful lives to ruining each others' posting experiences all over the nets no matter what topic or what side of an argument we're on.

It, too, will be glorious.

I'll be your posting nemesis if you want

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

peter gabriel posted:

So, just for redit people reading, here is a re cap:

CIG took backers money then gave it all to a loan company

lol

Hey, it's not a loan company! It's the Queen's bank! It's probably at the very least Sir Loan Company, or maybe the Earl of Finance.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Star Citizen: the bankers will never know

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

peter gabriel posted:

I've never ever seen such hilarity as backers trying to explain that getting a loan does NOT mean CIG need money. This truly is something to behold :lol:

Also. If I take a 10,000 loan against my 100,000 house it does NOT mean I'm considered financially healthy. It just means the bank would be quite happy taking my 100k house when I can't repay a 10k loan.

King of Cheeses fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 25, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

King of Cheeses posted:

Yeah. If I take a 10,000 loan against my 100,000 house it does NOT mean I'm considered financially health. It just means the bank would be quite happy taking my 100k house when I can't repay a 10k loan.

This is why I can't wait to find out how much the loan is actually for. There's lots of arguments for a bank not loaning money to a financially unhealthy outfit. However, a bank would loan money to any outfit, no matter how bad its financial health, if it felt the collateral would cover the loan even in a worst case scenario. The negative pledge would go along with this scenario.

I wonder how much exactly they put everything on the line for. If it were something like $15 million, that'd be hilarious, and the bank wouldn't have necessarily made that bad of a decision.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
It'd be extra great if this relatively unlikely loan find news actually sticks and ruins their second half earnings beyond what was projected and accelerates the bank takeover.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

It was a $10k loan so Ben's WingCommander stash wouldn't get repossessed by the recyclers.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Jymmybob posted:

It'd be extra great if this relatively unlikely loan find news actually sticks and ruins their second half earnings beyond what was projected and accelerates the bank takeover.

The Citizen Defense Force on reddit is already trying to put out any fires that are sprouting up in different subforums. It might not take.

I wonder what play CIG has here. My guess is keep quiet and refuse to acknowledge it. Spend extra cash to have sock puppets quash any mention of it on the official forums and on reddit. That charge would be lower than the hit funding would take if people started questioning the loan. The worst thing we could do would be to spread it around even more, make those sock puppets log hours of overtime to bill CIG with.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

:effort:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

It's not CIG loving up, it's every other game company in the entire universe being liars.

It is known.

lurkeskywalker
Jul 12, 2016
(Edit)

Removed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

XK posted:

This is why I can't wait to find out how much the loan is actually for. There's lots of arguments for a bank not loaning money to a financially unhealthy outfit. However, a bank would loan money to any outfit, no matter how bad its financial health, if it felt the collateral would cover the loan even in a worst case scenario. The negative pledge would go along with this scenario.

I wonder how much exactly they put everything on the line for. If it were something like $15 million, that'd be hilarious, and the bank wouldn't have necessarily made that bad of a decision.

The thing is no matter which way it lands, it's bad for F42/CIG.

If the loan is for a large amount it means that their finances are in a seriously bad state and they desperately need a large cash injection to keep going.

If the loan is for a relatively small amount it means that their books are so bad that even for a relatively minor sum Coutts asked them for everything they own as collateral.