Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm super high on Butler. Especially because he's been so successful playing for a garbage organization with a poo poo coach. I think he is a top 10 player. He easily could be the 2nd best player on a champion team and could probably get to the conference finals/finals on a team perfectly built for him.
I was debating the other day if he is better than PG. George has more upside I think but Butler has played better so far and seems to be more consistent.
I'm biased tho b/c as a raps fan I've only watched the Bulls in top form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
He's definitely top 15, arguably at the bottom end of the top 10. You could make a case for closer to top 5 using advanced stats.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Dejan Bimble posted:

Now that the subject is broached, how good is Jimmy Butler?
Is he a top ten player? Could he be the second best player on a championship team? Is he the second best two way wing after Kawhi?

Imagining the Celtics actually made a trade for him, what would have been a fair deal for both sides?

Probably the 3 and Crowder? I'm not sure what the Celtics cap situation is so I don't know if they would have to match salaries. Doesn't seem like Minny had to.

We've seen Jimmy lead injured Bulls teams to the Conference Semi Finals

Strawberry Panda fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 25, 2017

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jimmy Butler
Is he a top ten player? Could he be the second best player on a championship team? Is he the second best two way wing after Kawhi?

1) Yes, I think by any measure.
2) Yeah, no doubt.
3) I don't know. I think he and Giannis are about tied.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Butler 100% could be the second best piece of a championship team. If Lebron had jimmy he would've won the first cav vs warriors 100%

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Butler and PG going at it are the best parts of Bulls-Pacers games. Well, were the the best parts. In my mind, PG is better defensively and better shooting off screens. But Butler is no slouch defensively and a bit better creating his own shot. I feel like PG would fit better coming to the Celtics, but if I'm Ainge I probably trade for either since Butler has another year of contract control.

I think Butler is great for Minny, he will make them tougher and he's great at finishing out games.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Imagining the Celtics actually made a trade for him, what would have been a fair deal for both sides?

Yes yes yes and yes, unless Lebron is a wing in this schema (I think he mostly is on the Cavs but he's so weird). Giannis is getting there too but like Lebron somewhat defies the simple wing label

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dexo posted:

What.

If I were rich as gently caress I would do nothing but poo poo talk on Twitter.

you can truly sound the depths of a man's soul based on what he would do about twitter after acquiring millions

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dexo posted:

What.

If I were rich as gently caress I would do nothing but poo poo talk on Twitter.

I'm broke as a joke and I still do it

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

It is better to be feared than loved

- Phil Jackson, The General Manager

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Butler is very good. They might need to move Wiggins for a shooter tho. Interesting fit

Too bad thibs plays dieng. Kat at 5 would super help the spacing .

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
KAT plays more center than Dieng, iirc.

E: they need better interior defense more than shooting, imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well you know what I mean

Two big line ups

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

euphronius posted:

Butler is very good. They might need to move Wiggins for a shooter tho. Interesting fit

I wouldn't move Wiggins. They may not be good immediately but they have Butler for at least two more years (and presumably he's more likely to get along with Thibodeau and want to stay) so there is some runway for KAT/Wiggins to get better, and for them to add some role players who can space the floor, although I'm still not sure I trust GM Thibs even after he fleeced Chicago

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kibner posted:

E: they need better interior defense more than shooting, imo

Well that's true .

Time has interesting issues all around

Butler should help transition and perimeter d big ly

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

#8-#15.
Yes.
Yes.
2017 #3 or 2018 Brooklyn pick, Crowder or Smart, Memphis first rounder, and a handful of 2nd rounders.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think age plus Butler's personal d and leadership/communication will result in a big jump for them next year. I would bet on an average defense overall. Wiggins especially will benefit from having Butler there as an example of a guy with similar skills and body but a way better head for the game. He'll also get #2 wing defenders and lots more space. Hopefully that feeds back and takes some defensive pressure off of Butler, along with all the easy shots Ricky will get him, so he has the energy to try on defense again

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/juliephayer/status/878719398000730112

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Spacebump posted:

Harrison Barnes talking about Dirk.
"Honestly, I've just been trying to work as hard as I can and spend as much time as I can with him in the gym. I remember one day at practice we're standing on the sidelines on the gym and said, 'Oh man, Dirk, you're about to get to 20 years. That's impressive. Do you think I can get to 20 years?' He's like, 'No way man. You need major skill to get to 20 years.'

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2017/06/13/harrison-barnes-shines-light-relationship-dirk-nowitzki

I'm going to miss that man

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah especially since butler should just have a brain meld with thibs. It will be a coach on the floor situation which is underestimated probably

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You basically exchange some shooting of Paul George for better ball handling, and being a really good post-player. One of Jimmy's strength has always been a good passer out of post situations, even before he became an all-star.

The Wolves problems aren't the offense. Their defense needs to go from like the 25th worst to at worst 15th next season.

And he's dealt with poor spacing before. Even Paul George had starting line-ups where everyone is at least a credible threat from the perimeter.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

#8-#15.
Yes.
Yes.
2017 #3 or 2018 Brooklyn pick, Crowder or Smart, Memphis first rounder, and a handful of 2nd rounders.

For the 7 guys you consider definitely better I'm guessing Lebron Durant Curry Kawhi Davis Westbrook Harden?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You gotta put Chris Paul in there .

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I wonder if you can get fart flavored cupcakes

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

euphronius posted:

Yeah especially since butler should just have a brain meld with thibs. It will be a coach on the floor situation which is underestimated probably

how is that underestimated when you have freaking LeBron James as an example

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

imo Jimmy Butler is absolutely not a top 10 player.

Lebron, Durant, Kawhi, Curry, Davis, Harden, Westbrook, Giannis, Chris Paul, Demarcus Cousins, Karl Anthony Towns

I'd all say are definitively better than him. I'd also put Paul George and John Wall above him. And I could see arguments for players like Draymond Green.

Its great for Minnesota given what they gave up, but they really need to be working on adding a bunch of 3pt shooters. I hope they get Lowry

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
WS/48 and Winshares paint Butler as more of a top 5 player

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah. And while I think Towns is a surefire hall of famer if he's healthy, better than Butler now is a joke. He's god awful on one end of the court still. Giannis can't shoot at all and still makes regular bonehead plays, Cousins is a mediocre defender and pretty inefficient. Wall and George don't even belong in the conversation.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

They also paint Rudy Gobert as a top 3 player, so I'm inclined to believe thats not the whole story

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

They also paint Rudy Gobert as a top 3 player, so I'm inclined to believe thats not the whole story

Don't think anyone was saying it was.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
What's the best place to look up WS/48 stats per season. I wanna see Mike Conley

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/WrestlingSheet/status/878764720605585409

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

That's not as far-fetched as you would think, imo

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

imo Jimmy Butler is absolutely not a top 10 player.

Lebron, Durant, Kawhi, Curry, Davis, Harden, Westbrook, Giannis, Chris Paul, Demarcus Cousins, Karl Anthony Towns

I'd all say are definitively better than him. I'd also put Paul George and John Wall above him. And I could see arguments for players like Draymond Green.

Its great for Minnesota given what they gave up, but they really need to be working on adding a bunch of 3pt shooters. I hope they get Lowry

KAT, Cousins, and Giannis are not better than Butler right now. Neither are Wall or George. I do think Draymond is better and I don't know why he gets left off these lists.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

You are aware teams have to play defense right? Gobert is playing probably the best defender in the league and only two or three other guys even come close

The last 3 years, Jimmy Butler is 8th in total win shares on a mediocre team. Paul George is 62nd, and if you spot him his average for the year he missed, he leaps all the way to the low 20s. Wall is 31st and Cousins 40th. We aren't talking about razor thin margins here.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Jimmy Butler is really really good.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Defense matters too.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

NickRoweFillea posted:

What's the best place to look up WS/48 stats per season. I wanna see Mike Conley

http://www.basketball-reference.com...er_by=ws_per_48

That's one place to start. You can play around with the settings however you like.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Big Baller BRAAAAAAAAAUN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

KAT averaged 25 and 12 on a team with zero spacing. Also I think being a big that can shoot provides a lot of inherent value, while being a wing that can't shoot the 3 particularly well (Jimmy Butler) can be a liability.

Also in terms of future trajectory, given the rate at which KAT is improving I would say he's in position to have a better year next season, even if you thought Butler was better in 16-17

Cool Buff Man posted:

That's not as far-fetched as you would think, imo

I respect belief in advanced stats

• Locked thread