Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Jimmy Butler is very much a top 10 player.

At the very least he played like one last year.

Now if you have questions about whether or not how he would react to playing team ball movement basketball rather than having to take his possessions to ISO. It is a valid question.

Also gently caress yeah Lavar Ball on WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Strawberry Panda posted:

Don't think anyone was saying it was.

Certainly not. To tie it to what Niwrad said, I think WS dramatically underrates Draymond and somewhat overrates Curry in terms of who is more vital to GS winning. Both are top 15 players for sure though. There is virtually no metric by which Butler isn't top 10, so I think the burden is on haters to argue otherwise, while Green is not as well supported numerically so you have to get into the less obvious ways he makes that team work.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

DeimosRising posted:

For the 7 guys you consider definitely better I'm guessing Lebron Durant Curry Kawhi Davis Westbrook Harden?

Sounds about right, followed by some combo of Draymond, Paul, Giannis, Gobert, Wall, PG13, and Klay.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I suppose I just don't believe in isolation scorers who can't shoot 3s being the centerpiece of a potential championship team in the era of multiple stars.

So if I had to choose between Jimmy Butler and Paul George to build a potential championship team around, I'd go with Paul George because he can shoot better, so if I managed to acquire another star they would mesh more seamlessly

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

KAT averaged 25 and 12 on a team with zero spacing. Also I think being a big that can shoot provides a lot of inherent value, while being a wing that can't shoot the 3 particularly well (Jimmy Butler) can be a liability.

Also in terms of future trajectory, given the rate at which KAT is improving I would say he's in position to have a better year next season, even if you thought Butler was better in 16-17

KAT definitely can be better than Butler with his skillset. He still needs a lot of work though. He's a complete trainwreck on defense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's going to be president of the USA

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I suppose I just don't believe in isolation scorers who can't shoot 3s being the centerpiece of a potential championship team in the era of multiple stars.

So if I had to choose between Jimmy Butler and Paul George to build a potential championship team around, I'd go with Paul George because he can shoot better, so if I managed to acquire another star they would mesh more seamlessly

Butler is like a 37% 3pt shooter, he's not a sharp shooter by any stretch, but is far from whatever "unable to shoot 3's" is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Sounds about right, followed by some combo of Draymond, Paul, Giannis, Gobert, Wall, PG13, and Klay.

Klay is not a top 25 player, come on

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Dexo posted:

Butler is like a 37% 3pt shooter, he's not a sharp shooter by any stretch, but is far from whatever "unable to shoot 3's" is.

Dwyane Wade I guess? And we all know how lovely and unsuccessful he was.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dexo posted:

Right

The issue is dieng Rubio and Wiggins

Tho I assume Rubio will be banished by October.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dutchy posted:

Dwyane Wade I guess? And we all know how lovely and unsuccessful he was.

yeah what a loving loser wade was

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tho Wiggins is trending in the right direction

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

Right

Wiggins makes 3s at about the same rate as Butler.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lebron James elite 3 point shooter or supreme loser pick your troll

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Djieng shoots it about as well, too. And even better than KAT (at like an eighth of the volume)!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Butler is a respectable 3-point shooter. He can also play off the ball. He does the iso stuff a little too much but I also think that was a factor of who he was playing with. He had arguably the worst supporting cast out of any star in the league.

He's a really versatile player. He can handle the ball and initiate the offense. He can run off screens and spot-up. He's great at making cuts and getting to the rim. Can post up smaller players. Even play the point (his assist ratio is really good). Delve deeper into the stats and you'll see he's not an isolation scorer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kibner posted:

Wiggins makes 3s at about the same rate as Butler.

Right . Exactly . But butler will have the ball a lot so do other teams respect Wiggins beyond the ark? He's under 35% but trending up . I guess he could make a leap to 38-40%

If you are featuring a guy like butler and insisting on dieng AND RUBIO i don't see how Wiggins fits . Tho as I mentioned Rubio should be traded asap but who wants him he can't shoot.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

Right

Wiggins seems capable of knocking down a 3 too. They likely need a solid stretch-4 or PG who can shoot the 3.

If Ryan Anderson is truly on the trade block, he'd be a guy I'd target if I was the Wolves. Rubio/Wiggins/Butler/Anderson/KAT is a really good and balanced starting 5.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Wiggins seems capable of knocking down a 3 too. They likely need a solid stretch-4 or PG who can shoot the 3.

If Ryan Anderson is truly on the trade block, he'd be a guy I'd target if I was the Wolves. Rubio/Wiggins/Butler/Anderson/KAT is a really good and balanced starting 5.

The offense is not the problem. It's never been the problem in the KAT era. They have three really good offensive players and an elite passer, they will score buckets at a good efficiency like always.

Ryan Anderson does not solve the problem that they are literally one of the worst defenses in the league for two years. They need a combo forward that can play the four with range.

If anything, they should get Luol Deng if you want them to get bad salary players. He can play the four.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wiggins has shot at best 35%. There is a huge difference between a guy who teams will close out on and guys who they will never leave. Wiggins is not good enough yet where the other team will never leave him tho they will close out on him. Combine that with dieng and Rubio ugh. They have to get rid of Rubio. Maybe run butler at nominal point guard ?

This is all in imho i watched maybe ten wolves games last year

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also the Wolves have cap space(assuming they can get rid of Rubio) to sign like lets say a Kyle Lowry which means they have 1 sharp shooter 3pt shooter, and 2 perimeter players that are respectable 3pt shooters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Wolves offense improved in efficiency from last year. Like seriously guys, stop suggesting one-way offensive players as the solution to their problems which don't exist

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

The Wolves offense improved in efficiency from last year. Like seriously guys, stop suggesting one-way offensive players as the solution to their problems which don't exist

A Tae post I can agree with.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well yeah by I'm talking about if they want to be a legit team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Meh. KAT, and Wiggins have the tools to be elite defenders. It depends on if they buy in or not.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tae posted:

The offense is not the problem. It's never been the problem in the KAT era. They have three really good offensive players and an elite passer, they will score buckets at a good efficiency like always.

Ryan Anderson does not solve the problem that they are literally one of the worst defenses in the league for two years. They need a combo forward that can play the four with range.

If anything, they should get Luol Deng if you want them to get bad salary players. He can play the four.

I think the solution for fixing the defense is going to come from within. Wiggins and KAT have the skillsets to be great defenders in this league. With a great defensive coach I think they will get much better in the coming years. Remember we're talking about a 21 and 22 year old learning one of the more demanding defensive schemes in the league. Jimmy Butler also immediately helps their defense.

I'd be shocked if they don't end up in the upper half of the league this year defensively.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

Also the Wolves have cap space(assuming they can get rid of Rubio) to sign like lets say a Kyle Lowry which means they have 1 sharp shooter 3pt shooter, and 2 perimeter players that are respectable 3pt shooters.

wait who is the sharpshooter

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The real question should be why did Thibs draft another Center on a team with three already

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

And yeah, you can hide a bad perimeter and a bad post defender if everyone helps and does their job correctly(again besides like against the Warriors).

Rose and Boozer got completely hidden defensively by Brewer/Bogans Noah, and Deng/Butler

You have Butler now, Wiggins has the potential if he lives up to it, and KAT has significantly more tools than Noah did.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Tae posted:

The real question should be why did Thibs draft another Center on a team with three already

didn't thibbydeau play taj gibson at small forward at some point

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I suppose Butler might work, but its important to keep in mind when reading my posts that I'm an idiot who thinks that Mike D'antoni has solved basketball

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Being good at defense is a given of you want to be good. You have to be great at offense tho to do anything in the playoffs. Dont see this team being great at offense with dieng Wiggins and Rubio.

Dont quote me regular season stats. No one cares about the regular season. With a player as good as kat you should be focusing on winning playoff series. Dieng and Rubio aren't payoff players. Maybe Wiggins if he keeps shooting well

This is coming off too strident and dumb I'm sorry. I'm trying to get my 3 year old to go to sleep and I'm mad

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Minnesota should not replace rubio with Lowry because that does not make them better and Lowry does not fit their timeline

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

chunkles posted:

didn't thibbydeau play taj gibson at small forward at some point

He actually played Taj at Center at times which is shocking considering this was back in like 2010 when that was rarely a thing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tae posted:

BPA on his board?

Wants to trade or get rid of one of them.

NBA you should always go BPA no matter what you "need" figure it out later.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

wait who is the sharpshooter

Lowry shot like 41-42% from 3 last year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lowry would be perfect for minne I hope it happens. Other than that's another great east player going west.

Re window: butler is in his prime now and you already have to worry about pleasing kat. Plus the gm is the coach for some dumb reason . This is a win now team .

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Minnesota's window is long as gently caress.

Guess what you have Butler playing with a bunch of young dudes. If they suck, and Butler gets old and bad or whatever. You still have KAT and Wiggins theoretically entering their primes and can build around KAT.

This move also shows KAT,that the ownership is loving serious and willing to spend cash to put together a winning team. Which lowers the chance of him leaving unless he just really wants to play somewhere else.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Metapod posted:

Minnesota should not replace rubio with Lowry because that does not make them better and Lowry does not fit their timeline

Timeline's another thing here, their ceiling is still first round exit. I'd be way more concerned about someone getting a hair up their rear end about playing for the Lakers or something before sweating the 3&D situation of the 17-18 team.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Y'all acting like kat is in his prime or hell on his second contract Minnesota is absolutely not in win now mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3LXmLblTN4

• Locked thread