Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I don't remember laughing much in Dredmor. Some builds get completely hosed by monster closets while the rest of the game feels too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
So, Concrete Jungle has been my best purchase this sale. It's a city building puzzle game with deck building, which hits all the right spots for me. There's only single player, unfortunately, despite a pretty cut-throat versus mode against the AI. The art is great, the music is great, and it's a nice chill puzzle game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400160/Concrete_Jungle/

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Xaris posted:

Doom 4, Wolfenstein The New Order, Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Shadow Warrior 2, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Prey, Ziggurat, Far Cry Blood Dragon, STALKER

buy them all

Also Titanfall 2, but it's on Origin and isn't on sale right now.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Since I've heard that the original game has been much improved upon what are the best Minecraft-like's for someone who's never played Minecraft?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

check out my sick haul

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Awesome! posted:

check out my sick haul

Isn't PoE hosed by the Paradox price hike?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there was no price hike in the us

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Watch dogs 2, the DLC are not worth it, right?

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran
Only trying to spend $50-65$ this sale, hoping on the lower end.

Dishonored 2 19.99
To The Moon 1.99
Thomas Was Alone 2.49
Rakuen 7.49
Hollow Knight 9.89
Ori And the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition - 9.99

And then maybe Lisa for 4.99 bringing me to 56 and change.

I've heard Lisa is kind of dark, which I don't mind, but are we talking "This will leave you feeling super hosed up" vs "That was awful, but I'll make it"?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This may be a silly question that's been answered before, but are there daily deals this session, or is it only set discounts for the whole two weeks?

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
ugh

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

check out my sick haul

That's a whole lot of gaming hours. I have yet to get through the White March but I started up Tyranny (another 60 hour ordeal I assume) from the sale last week instead because I am a big dummy.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is Deadly Premonition still a crashing mess on pc like the reviews make it out to be?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

SelenicMartian posted:

Isn't PoE hosed by the Paradox price hike?

It was only in weird currency markets and it's been cancelled anyway.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

Uh...so this is what my steam cart looks like right now. Most of it is pretty heavily discounted (~75%), but I still think I could really use some help cutting this down...

One Finger Death Punch
Hero Siege Complete
Street Fighter X Tekken: Complete Pack
Skullgirls 2nd Encore Upgrade
Skullgirls
Rochard
Portal Bundle
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Stardew Valley
ICEY
Rise of Nations: Extended Edition
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves
Disciples II: Gallean's Return
Dust: An Elysian Tail
UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late
Rivals of Aether
Brothers in Arms Pack
Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action!
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Craft The World
Megabyte Punch
Creeper World 3
Bad Company 2 Bundle
Way of the Samurai 3
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 Road to Boruto
Medal of Honor
Dungeon Warfare
Salt and Sanctuary
The Dweller
Broforce
Hollow Knight

Subtotal: $188.18

Halp!

Axe everything off the list if it's more than 3 bucks, except for Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight and Way of the Samurai 3. The cheaper games I can vouch for are Hero Siege, One Finger Death Punch, Portal Bundle, Dust, and The Dweller. Crypt of the NecroDancer and Broforce are fun but I never enjoyed those as much as everyone else seemed to, so probably keep those on there but just fyi. I haven't played the DLC for Hero Siege, but the base game is under a buck and I felt like that was plenty of content for the type of game it is. Dust is another fun one but goons like to poo poo on it to show how much of a furry they are not.

I think I remember you and your purchasing habits from previous sales. Next time slap yourself before you even begin to contemplate spending so much money on vidya you'll never play.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Is Deadly Premonition still a crashing mess on pc like the reviews make it out to be?

DP on PC with the patch that Durante made is the definitive version of the game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Ragequit posted:

That's a whole lot of gaming hours. I have yet to get through the White March but I started up Tyranny (another 60 hour ordeal I assume) from the sale last week instead because I am a big dummy.
It's designed for multiple playthroughs so it's more like 20ish hours per playthrough. I imagine most people don't go through it more than once though.

I'd recommend playing through at least twice and making different choices on what areas you visit and what major faction you join (or don't join if you want to see the anarchy path).

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Got away under $100 CAD this year. Picked up a few I've been meaning to play (DOOM, Witcher 3) and some I learned about from this thread. Thanks all.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

It was only in weird currency markets and it's been cancelled anyway.
I'm in a weird currency market, Paradox games at 50% off cost as much as they did normally this spring, and it won't be cancelled until the sale is over.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

TastyLemonDrops posted:

So, Concrete Jungle has been my best purchase this sale. It's a city building puzzle game with deck building, which hits all the right spots for me. There's only single player, unfortunately, despite a pretty cut-throat versus mode against the AI. The art is great, the music is great, and it's a nice chill puzzle game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400160/Concrete_Jungle/

I'm liking this a lot. Every step of building a full screen clear combo is fun and placing the last piece feels great.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

I'm in a weird currency market, Paradox games at 50% off cost as much as they did normally this spring, and it won't be cancelled until the sale is over.

What weird currency market if I may ask?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

kender posted:

Dishonored 2 19.99
To The Moon 1.99
Thomas Was Alone 2.49
Rakuen 7.49
Hollow Knight 9.89

I've heard Lisa is kind of dark, which I don't mind, but are we talking "This will leave you feeling super hosed up" vs "That was awful, but I'll make it"?

I genuinely don't like Ori and the Blind Forest, mostly because it doesn't feel like a metroidvania - it feels instead like a collection of very pretty platforming obstacle courses that get more and more difficult as you go along, and not much reward for backtracking. It's just, ergh, it feels like it could be better and isn't.

i can still taste him posted:

Got away under $100 CAD this year. Picked up a few I've been meaning to play (DOOM, Witcher 3) and some I learned about from this thread. Thanks all.

If you like Shadowrun Returns (and I do!) - then when you're done with its relatively short story, get to Dragonfall and Hong Kong! They're much better games!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I made a thing for people looking for cheap games. Most of these are kinda old since I haven't been gung-ho about Steam Sales in a fair bit, but they're games that made an impression on me. Beatbuddy, in particular, is really cool if you want a chill kinda-platformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1npUlxR1kQ

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

What weird currency market if I may ask?
The one RPS used as an example of insanity
"For example, the price of Stellaris in Russia went from 699₽ to 1199₽"

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Unbalanced posted:

I think I remember you and your purchasing habits from previous sales. Next time slap yourself before you even begin to contemplate spending so much money on vidya you'll never play.

Haha, yeah I can't even remember what I spent last year but I think it was a lot. Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I've cut things down a bit more, from where I started.

One Finger Death Punch
Hero Siege
Skullgirls 2nd Encore Upgrade
Skullgirls
Rochard
Portal Bundle
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Stardew Valley
ICEY
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves
Disciples II: Gallean's Return
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Rivals of Aether
Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action!
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Craft The World
Way of the Samurai 3
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 Road to Boruto
Dungeon Warfare
Salt and Sanctuary
The Dweller
Broforce
Hollow Knight

I've noticed some other goons buying habits trending toward buying just a few higher cost games. But as much as I want to play Nier Automata, The Surge, Prey, Resident Evil 7 and Sniper Elite 4 right now, I can't bring myself to pay so much for them, when I know they'll probably be lower during the next sale, or the sale after that, etc. On the other hand it's hard to pass up some of these super cheap ~$3 games. They definitely add up, though, haha.

New subtotal: $118.55

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 25, 2017

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
could use a hand trimming down my cart. It's mostly cheap short games, but givenmy pre-existing backlog (that mostly never gets touched because I keep sinking more time into fighting games) I should trim it down a bit.

Euclidean - $2.49 (mostly based on me really enjoying AAAAAAAA)
Crimzon Clover - $1.99
Noitu Love 2 - $1.99
BLUE REVOLVER - $7.49
VA-11 HALL-A - 10.04
Pathologic Classic HD $2.59 (from what I understand the HD remake is still a difficult to comprehend mess even before you hit the punishing difficulty, but I enjoyed The Void so I figure I'll get my moneys worth at this price)
OneShot $5.99
Dex - $4.99
Hyper Light Drifter - $9.99
Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon - $5.76
Hollow Knight -$9.89
MELTY BLOOD Actress Again Current Code - $6.49
Grey Goo Definitive Edition - $4.79

Games in my to play backlog from previous sales that might be relevant.
- Dark Souls 3
- Legend of grimrock 2
- Transistor
- Pillars of eternity, white march part 2
- la mulana
- LISA (partway through, might drop it, I realize that as much as I like challenge in other genres, I don't really like it in JRPGs, especially without a 'save anywhere' function)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

A Banana posted:

could use a hand trimming down my cart. It's mostly cheap short games, but givenmy pre-existing backlog (that mostly never gets touched because I keep sinking more time into fighting games) I should trim it down a bit.

snip...

Euclidean: had this on my list initially (love Cthulhu stuff) but took it off after reading more reviews saying it's basically a really short falling simulator. You could probably watch it on youtube and get mostly the same experience.
Melty Blood: Had this on my list too, took it off and replaced it with the HD and newer UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late. Which I then took off because I eventually plan to get Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator + Rev 2, and I only need so many of these types of fighters.
Grey Goo: I think this is still $2 on Amazon, don't pay $4.79.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 25, 2017

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

kender posted:

Dishonored 2 19.99
To The Moon 1.99
Thomas Was Alone 2.49
Rakuen 7.49
Hollow Knight 9.89

Mainly the latter since it has a very earthbound-y/SNES style graphics and the whole game is more of a black comedy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So pervy vertical shooting game DEEP SPACE WAIFU added an extra girl for the steam sale...

This one is :nws:, ish, non-detailed boobs: http://i.imgur.com/cmtoWsJ.jpg

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

kender posted:

Dishonored 2 19.99
To The Moon 1.99
Thomas Was Alone 2.49
Rakuen 7.49
Hollow Knight 9.89

Lisa is sort of dark, but it's more of a black comedy.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

-Blackadder- posted:

One Finger Death Punch
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Stardew Valley
Dungeon Warfare
Broforce
Hollow Knight

There, I slashed your cart down to the absolute essentials. It's only like 30-40 bucks now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hi I finished Poi so I'll talk about it since it was gifted to me

http://store.steampowered.com/app/401810/?snr=1_5_9__205

so right now, these are the modern 3D PC Platformers i'm aware of: Yooka Laylee (do not own), FreezeME, Poi, Skylar & Plux (do not own), Woodle Tree, The Last Tinker (SO IT CLAIMS TO BE), Lolly Joe (do not own), A Hat in Time (not out yet), Snake Pass (not sure this one counts, don't own), Grow Home/Up, Unbox (don't own but played a demo). If you want to go back a bit, there's Tiny & Big (sorta) and Papo & Yo (barely).

so if I were to grade what I've played to date, FreezeME is maybe a D+, The Last Tinker is an F because it has AssCreed free-running instead of jumping, Grow Home a C because it's not really a conventional 3D platformer so much as a chill-out ride vines up and up and up game (and it's really good for being that), and now Poi, which I tentatively give a B-.

I say tentatively even though I've gotten over 60 of the 100 total medallions (the game's equivalent to stars), mostly because the game is 0% original in the slightest. It steals Mario's moveset, its enemies are Mario enemy knockoffs, there's nothing, NOTHING it does that is unique. It's also quite low budget, with substandard lighting and relatively plain looking textures that are certainly vibrant but lacking in the kind of beauty-in-simplicity aesthetic that Nintendo rules at. of course, the game doesn't pretend that it's original. You are guided by an old person with a mustache who goes "hoo hoo!" a lot and no they're not the pillsbury doughboy. So maybe because of those factors it should be a C+.

THAT SAID, unlike FreezeME, whose level design was a mess, Poi has fun platforming playgrounds, that aren't necessarily super tough-- they are influenced by Mario 64 rather than Galaxy so they aren't super hazardous-- but will give you a lot of heights to climb and nooks and crannies to explore. The game has four primary worlds with 7 medallions each, but as you collect medallions, a bunch of stuff sprouts up all around you in the hub world, from mini-games to challenge stages (think Mario Sunshine's FLUDD-less levels) to flat out entire optional levels like Snowland (which has 7 medallions of its own). The game rewards exploration, with 100 coin stars, fossils to dig up, golden gears to find (traded 5 at a time for medallions), the ability to go back to the prologue level (which has 4 more medallions to get). Each level has locations to document (basically find the unique areas of the level) and doing that can get you medallions. There's also apparently a new game+ but I dunno what that does.

I think the most important part of Poi was that at no point did I just stop and stare at the level and think "what the gently caress is this garbage" like I did with FreezeME which just threw a bunch of random poo poo everywhere. The majority of Poi's level design MAKES SENSE (from a gameplay standpoint). The medallions are spread out in a way that each medallion usually takes you to a different area of the level (with the exception of the first world Cozy Canyon which is a kind of small level that is a bit too condensed).

All that comes together into a package that I'd say is maybe worth-- okay this is usually a bad tangent but I'll do it anyway-- uhh I guess $10?? Currently it costs $15 -10%, and I dunno. Budget-wise, we're talking about a game that reminds me of early XBLA games in terms of presentation, texturing, lighting, etc. And it's not original in any way. It also has a not-amazing start by having somewhat errand-y medallions in cozy canyon. I dunno why I'm talking y'all out of it because I enjoyed it a lot, but it was also GIFTED to me and I didn't spend my own money on it, while I certainly did spend money on FreezeME and I certainly did find myself disappointed from the experience.

e: I will be going back into Poi to get more medallions but I dunno if I'll 100% it. there's no medallion too excrutiating to get or anything but it's just a matter of, once I get most of the medallions, it'll come down to finding the last few fossils/locations I dunno if I have time to do that with all the other games I wanna play

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 25, 2017

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Trampy Vampy posted:

The Majesty series sounds like it might be fun, but which one should I get? Majesty 1 seems to be universally loved, but would it be too dated for me to get into at this point? Majesty 2 looks great to me, but people aren't as hot on it for some reason. Would its shortcomings be apparent to a newcomer to the series?

Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Ragequit posted:

For anyone that picks up Darkest Dungeon who doesn't like tedium, do what I did and edit some of the config files to make the quest loot and gold 5-10x greater. The combat will still be tough and rewarding but you probably won't want to kill yourself as you build up your town and characters.

"wanting to kill yourself as you involve yourself deeper in eldritch horrors" is one of the core elements of the genre, though

Hopper posted:

422 games in my steam list is already plenty.

:frogout:

Zaphiel posted:

Try Spice Road or Port Royale 2 for trading games.

Spice Road is good. 16bit Trader is not.

Zathril posted:

Any opinions on Particle Fleet: Emergence? I liked Creeper World 3.

I had a fun time with it and I recommend CW3 at any given opportunity

Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal - $4.94 (-67%) - sci-fi TDalike about stopping a relentless mass of blue ooze

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 25, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Trampy Vampy posted:

The Majesty series sounds like it might be fun, but which one should I get? Majesty 1 seems to be universally loved, but would it be too dated for me to get into at this point? Majesty 2 looks great to me, but people aren't as hot on it for some reason. Would its shortcomings be apparent to a newcomer to the series?

Majesty 1 is still fun to this day and I will never tire of playing it. (*Yes I know I don't own it on steam, I own it on a - gasp - CD-ROM, an antiquated device that carries portable games around inside of it.) It has a whole lot of charm, and it's playable! No problems installing it and playing it now~

Don't play Majesty 2 first, please.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bringing back an old effort-post of mine about Roguelikes, my favorite genre!

Roguelikes

a good effortposte, just want to add that the Spike Chunsoft remake of One Way Heroics, Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics on sale at 90% off.

-Blackadder- posted:

Uh...so this is what my steam cart looks like right now. Most of it is pretty heavily discounted (~75%), but I still think I could really use some help cutting this down...

One Finger Death Punch
Portal Bundle
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
Stardew Valley
Creeper World 3
The Dweller

Halp!

these are the stand-out keepers for me (both Portal games are 90% off) You can skip Craft the World this time if you want to trim excess. I liked it but not enough to recommended it over other games when someone is trying to fit within a budget

-Blackadder- posted:

Since I've heard that the original game has been much improved upon what are the best Minecraft-like's for someone who's never played Minecraft?

2D - Terraria
3D - Creativerse

others:

Asteria - $0.99 (-90%) - terraria-alike where each tier of tech is earned through a unique map and boss fight
Darkout - $3.74 (-81%) - a terraria-alike with enemies that are weak to bright lights

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What are some of the better available FPSs of the past 6 or 7 years. I haven't played one in forever.

DooM, Prey, Wolfenstien are the ones that are frequently get the goon thumb of approval, have some others:

Blood and Bacon - $0.79 (-20%) - the best shooting-pigs-till-they-explode game of all time
Heavy Bullets - $2.49 (-75%) - roguelike FPS where you only have six re-useable bullets
Receiver - $1.99 (-60%) - minimalist fps.
Space Beast Terror Fright - $9.74 (-35%) - SPACE. BEAST. TERROR. FRIGHT.
Ziggurat - $3.74 (-75%) - first-person action roguelite

A Banana posted:

- Legend of grimrock 2

Have a look at Heroes of a Broken Land if you like the first-person dungeon crawlers, it even has a demo available

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 25, 2017

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

modern 3D PC Platformers

good post. I've played most of the 3D platformers on steam and its pretty sad that the slightly-above-mediocre Poi is one of the best.

Of the ones you haven''t played/ didn't mention: Unbox and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger are v.good. Lolly Joe is garbage. Scrap Garden is okay but short, I would only recommend it for a price $1 or so (plus it has a free prequel.) and Macbat is more of a tribute/homage than a game, it's very, very short but also quite charming.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I just noticed that Wuppo also has a demo.

Highly recommended - I was kind of turned off by the game trailers, but the demo sold me on the game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Any good metroidvanias in the current sale? This is what I already have, any major titles I'm missing?

quote:

Aquaria
Axiom Verge
Cave Story
Dust the Elysian Tale
Environmental Station Alpha
Guacamelee
La Mulana
Valdis Story Abyssal City
Xeodrifter

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Pierzak posted:

Any good metroidvanias in the current sale? This is what I already have, any major titles I'm missing?

Hollow Knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Hollow Knight! Best purchase of the sale so far for me!

• Locked thread