Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
It's a combination of T1 if its got 200 people and ships, how long since you've last reset the client, and how much data there is to actually load on the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Oh and yeah it had to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIuK_eVOHzI

forge fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 25, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I seem to be comically bad at getting past the wind wall.

4 16 power engines and 2 wings and I still get pushed to the death altitude

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Raged posted:

Does everyone else get massive lag when moving to a different island? I have a drat good PC and loading in everything should not be causing me to freeze for 60+ seconds.

Does moving it to an SSD help?

honestly it feels so slow it's like the maps graphics are being sent over the net.
Yes.

No.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

This is art.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Raged posted:

Does everyone else get massive lag when moving to a different island? I have a drat good PC and loading in everything should not be causing me to freeze for 60+ seconds.

Does moving it to an SSD help?

honestly it feels so slow it's like the maps graphics are being sent over the net.

It's really, really bad and was enough to make me super motion sick to the point where I had to lay down for a couple of hours. Really killing my desire to play.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I LIEK ANIME!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Pretty sure everyone gets huge lag/freezes when moving to new islands. I'm guessing it's a pretty high priority.

Big islands that have a lot of resources load them all in at once and if there are a lot of rocks already mined, there's a horrible moment when shards of rock spawn all at once and cause a physics nightmare

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
They really need to have some sort of clean up script running. I get double the frames on the West server than the east server. So many broken ship hulls laying around on some islands.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Internet Explorer posted:

It's really, really bad and was enough to make me super motion sick to the point where I had to lay down for a couple of hours. Really killing my desire to play.

Still in the noob area, but really the only time I experience something like that is upon spawning.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Songbearer posted:

Pretty sure everyone gets huge lag/freezes when moving to new islands. I'm guessing it's a pretty high priority.

Big islands that have a lot of resources load them all in at once and if there are a lot of rocks already mined, there's a horrible moment when shards of rock spawn all at once and cause a physics nightmare

been like that even in alpha

you have to just relog

basically I said I wasn't going to pick it up until it was optimized because of that pretty much. I thought about getting a key until i looked at the pricetag and steam summer sale already broke me~

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Swapped the game over to my SSD and it is so much better. Then went through the wind wall and it was even better still. I get maybe a second of load in now.

Should I trash my starter gun and build one myself out of better material? Seems that it take forever to kill anything with it.

Also if you want a fast starter ship take the dingy and add 2 sections to the front. It is fast as hell and with a vertical win on the bottom and 2 side wings it turns super fast on engines.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
guns have the same stats regardless of material used atm

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

thats nerdy as gently caress can you make me one

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

This is sheer beauty

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

It probably wouldn't be very sturdy, but tin ship parts are yellow.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

"u stole his ship design :qq:"

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
How often are there going to be wipes?

Just asking since on a SSD US(West) is playable from Aus and US(East) is a dumpster fire

hint hint move to west on the next wipe

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Raged posted:

How often are there going to be wipes?

Just asking since on a SSD US(West) is playable from Aus and US(East) is a dumpster fire

hint hint move to west on the next wipe

There for sure is going to be one at launch. Don't know beyond that.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Was just watching the video showing the stuff people have made in island creator. Holy poo poo.

From the perspective of someone just starting out, the beginner region is pretty bland compared to the potential islands beyond the walls. Could easily see someone seeing only that and getting tired or turned off early, but would be a pity if those "better" islands were moved into the noob zones.

Is there an actual goon group organized at this point or just sporadic gank crews?

edit: NM, reading the general slam whales thing.

What time zone server are most of you on? Currently on US West, but happy to start over, being beta and all.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 26, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Fog Tripper posted:

Was just watching the video showing the stuff people have made in island creator. Holy poo poo.

From the perspective of someone just starting out, the beginner region is pretty bland compared to the potential islands beyond the walls. Could easily see someone seeing only that and getting tired or turned off early, but would be a pity if those "better" islands were moved into the noob zones.

I've been pretty impressed by the quality of most islands I've explored, but there's definitely some real "Oh god, why would you do this" ones that really, really suck if you start on it and would be a horrible experience for a new player. Any island that's incredibly tiny or steep (or both) is a nightmare when it comes to farming resources and finding a good, stable place to build a craft.

I visited an island that looked super complex and interesting and it turned out to be an incredible bastard to build anything on because it was just so bumpy. Items would just drop out of the manufacturing machine and roll off a hill out of the building bubble. Islands that are one big flat area can also sometimes be complete bastards as they leave you wide open to scavengers and other players bothering you while you're crafting. Generally I stick to smaller areas islands because big islands draw ships like flies to poo poo.

The islands that have had some real effort and thought put into their designs are incredible though and an absolute joy to explore and spend time on. I've come across beautiful cave systems, bridges made out of scenery to run across, statues that you can climb up and ruins that are so well placed it's nice to just have a walk around and admire them. This game has a real palpable sense of wonder sometimes and despite most players being jackasses, there's something kind of special about seeing someone elses' craft quietly passing by an island you're on.

From what I've read, the devs manually check each island to see if they're worth including in the game so at least there's some level of quality control going on. I'd love to sit and make an island but that's time I could be spending actually playing and I think despite my best efforts it just wouldn't be on par vs most other creations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fog Tripper posted:

What time zone server are most of you on? Currently on US West, but happy to start over, being beta and all.
We're currently US East, but should probably run a poll before it wipes on whether to to go with East or West.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 26, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Songbearer posted:

I've been pretty impressed by the quality of most islands I've explored, but there's definitely some real "Oh god, why would you do this" ones that really, really suck if you start on it and would be a horrible experience for a new player. Any island that's incredibly tiny or steep (or both) is a nightmare when it comes to farming resources and finding a good, stable place to build a craft.

My first spawn was on the cluster of small steep ones, which was kind of fun in it's own right as I learned early how to get from one to the other from swinging along the bottom. (I think I gave myself hemorrhoids from being so clenched while attempting jumps) Thankfully there were a couple more level tops in the cluster that I made it to in order to craft a ship.

This looks to have screaming potential, but they need to flesh some things out and fix some weird mechanics Example: Cannot remove damaged parts, which cannot be fixed without the raw material needed, which you cannot get without getting to another island, which you cannot do because your ship is broke. There also needs to be a mechanic to boot someone to another island in the event they spawn, start shooting you when you are busy building, you kill him and he just spawns at the local point and does it over and over. If you have a gun and ammo in your belt there is literally nothing to prevent this. Not a whine mind you. I just think there should be mechanics to combat it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Are all the derelict frames you come across player detritus or are some of them procedurally placed? I've come across a couple of designs that have been very similar to each other but some are obviously player vehicles, but every island seems to have ruined frames on them and I'm sure there aren't enough players to justify that.

There's some really interesting moments where the game tells a story without really doing anything. I came across a sail detached from a boat and salvaged it immediately (Talk about getting wood :haw:), then as I crested a hill I came across another sail. Then a panel, then a cannon, then over the next hill just a gigantic wreckage of a boat that had clearly been shot out the air or crashed into the island. Searching around I even found one of the body loot bags which I can only assume was the pilot.

I also came across this monstrosity at one point:

God knows what they were planning to do with this.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Songbearer posted:

Are all the derelict frames you come across player detritus or are some of them procedurally placed? I've come across a couple of designs that have been very similar to each other but some are obviously player vehicles, but every island seems to have ruined frames on them and I'm sure there aren't enough players to justify that.

I've come across a few. I can see it becoming an issue unless they allow scrapping without going through the effort of making and placing a shipyard, then repairing it, then removing parts. Dismantling discarded trash is such a pain that I can see it getting really bad lag-wise. Is there even a script to have the server clean up trash? Getting flashbacks of Tree of Life.

Question: When docked at a shipyard, is your ship safe from molestation while you explore?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Songbearer posted:

Are all the derelict frames you come across player detritus or are some of them procedurally placed?
They're all player ships.

Songbearer posted:

I also came across this monstrosity at one point:

God knows what they were planning to do with this.
Someone killed Trauma again too soon.

Fog Tripper posted:

I've come across a few. I can see it becoming an issue unless they allow scrapping without going through the effort of making and placing a shipyard, then repairing it, then removing parts. Dismantling discarded trash is such a pain that I can see it getting really bad lag-wise. Is there even a script to have the server clean up trash? Getting flashbacks of Tree of Life.

Question: When docked at a shipyard, is your ship safe from molestation while you explore?
Presumably there's one for once the trash reaches the void at this point.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Kylra posted:

They're all player ships.

Someone killed Trauma again too soon.

Presumably there's one for once the trash reaches the void at this point.

Are you speaking of ships levitating out in space? How would they sink if they have whatchamacallits still installed? What of derelicts laying around on landmasses?

Question #615367135: How do you craft stairs?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 26, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Need to either find the stairs blueprint or have someone load it for you in an assembler.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

If they're out in space they might just be there forever until someone comes along to send them to the void by setting the helm to float downward. If they're on land, they eventually fall through the island to the void.

Also stairs don't work very well. You'd be better off just making sure there's something above where your opening is so you can grapple to that. I rarely am able to successfully use stairs and always end up grapple boosting up them.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Kylra posted:

Also stairs don't work very well. You'd be better off just making sure there's something above where your opening is so you can grapple to that. I rarely am able to successfully use stairs and always end up grapple boosting up them.

But they look so pretty

E: How much effort do people put into parking their boats when exploring an island? I pretty much always park it underneath an island or in a cave if possible. It doesn't make it pirateproof but it does make it a fair bit more difficult - only problem is that a lot of people like to mine under islands and then see my horrible boat sitting there, begging for death

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 26, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I park it at the ceiling and halo jump to every island.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ships parked at shipyards are only safe from people loving with them for as long as the shipyard (which is not indestructible) is active

you get warned if the last shipyard you registered at is taking damage but if you're far enough away youll be too late to do anything about it

right now ship security vs your convenience seems pretty balanced out imo

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

If you were in a high tier area and logged in yesterday to find yourself magically transported to W1 with no way to get back to where you were - file a support ticket.
They will tell you to ping them on Discord and then teleport you back to the high tier area.

They were doing it to some pubbies yesterday and helped me out this morning as well. Note - they will teleport just you. So don't be too attached to your ship and you will want to have enough resources on you to build a new spawner right away even if you just strap it on to a naked frame.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It's easier to break someone's ship into unusability than it is to make a good one right now. And it's really easy to lose an entire player or three of inventory per assaulting player if you aren't literally on your ship while it is happening. Docking your ship for safety is also a trap. It takes like 5-8 salvage pulses to drop the bubble, and then all your stuff is open for taking. In 10-15 seconds from the first attack notice, you could lose almost 2 storage containers of stuff per assaulting person.

The only time your ship is relatively safe is when you're at ceiling height, can outrun the ship you don't outgun, and you're on it with a pistol. At all other times, be prepared for it to not be there/have all your stuff missing when you're done knowledge hunting or whatever.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 26, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Kylra posted:

If they're out in space they might just be there forever until someone comes along to send them to the void by setting the helm to float downward.

I could not get my own to pitch or yaw once the sails were damaged. Only thing I could do once dead in the water is hold down CTRL forever or jump ship. There needs to be a scuttle option.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

If you release the helm while holding shift or ctrl, the atlas will keep moving in that direction

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Have they changed that? I remember being able to hold Ctrl and bail, and it would just keep going down.

e: nvm

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also, if your core is operational, you can always yaw at least a little with A and D, dependent on ship weight. If you're on a sailboard you don't even need rudders. Sails provide power/forward thrust, not turning.

Still not going to get you anywhere without working sails or engines though.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Jackard posted:

If you release the helm while holding shift or ctrl, the atlas will keep moving in that direction

Oh? Didn't try that.

Kylra posted:

Still not going to get you anywhere without working sails or engines though.

Wind should allow you to at least drift with the "tide".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I tried to brave a wind wall with just sails, no wings or engines. It didn't work out too well, but it was kind of awkward. Our sails took damage and disabled themselves, so we repaired and then they instantly were damaged again. We spent like 1000 wood repairing for no real reason. Then our ship got to the point where it was just floating, not taking damage, not crashing, just kind of hanging out. We figured we were stuck and abandoned ship. They should definitely improve that experience somewhat.