Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Niwrad posted:

Durant is a colossal bitch. Jimmy Buckets is not.

Not according to chicago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Like even if Jimmy leaves, Minnesota missed out on overpaying LaVine, having the Finnish Bargnani, and watching Dunn play himself out of the league for a couple more years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ghost Dog posted:

its not that its possible or not, for your position to make any sense, that their window is closing it has to...you know. actually be closing????? so he has to be leaving. you are asserting as fact that you know jimmy butlers mindset 2 years from now about a team no one has seen play together.

and now you know that team is bad??? whats the future like

Ghost Dog posted:

its not that its possible or not, for your position to make any sense, that their window is closing it has to...you know. actually be closing????? so he has to be leaving. you are asserting as fact that you know jimmy butlers mindset 2 years from now about a team no one has seen play together.

and now you know that team is bad??? whats the future like

I never said their window is closing. I fact I think I said their window is open until kat dies in 2032.

I just said they are probably in win now mode because they made their coach the gm and they have as far as any one can tell one guaranteed year with butler unless he commits early to resigning.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I may have said their window is closing please don't quote that post.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Like even if Jimmy leaves, Minnesota missed out on overpaying LaVine, having the Finnish Bargnani, and watching Dunn play himself out of the league for a couple more years.

i'm pretty sure minnesota only drafted dunn as garpax bait

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

I may have said their window is closing please don't quote that post.

yeah im just being super aggressive and roundabout in saying that i think an idea that needs to assume a good player is gonna leave a very well positioned team is probably just wrong. if the twolves see themselves as win now they are very dumb

Niwrad posted:

yeah getting the chance to spend lavines money on jimmy butler is a better option even if at the end of the day they get neither is a decent way to look at it.

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 25, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Tae posted:

So here's a question: Will ANY player get the new supermax? Because it seems like that's scaring teams to suddenly trade their elite players for less than expected.

I think the extension the Rockets are supposedly going to offer to Harden qualifies, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is there any difference between the 10 year vet max and the all nba max?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

So here's a question: Will ANY player get the new supermax? Because it seems like that's scaring teams to suddenly trade their elite players for less than expected.

Didn't the collective we as a thread predict this would be another CBA tactic to limit free agent movement that would end up forcing teams to move players

How many players are worth the supermax, truly, like 6? And then you have to get lucky to get other good players for much less than what a random bad team will pay them. Lebron wants to bilk Dan Gilbert, that's fine, but this is going to result in a 1998 Allan Houston highest paid player sort of NBA

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

*in john madden voice*

for the wolves window to be closing it would in fact have to be open first

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

R.D. Mangles posted:

i like to imagine jimmy goes to minnesota and he's picked up by thibs in a lovely beater car and the whole time he's just screaming at him to ICE and then kind of trails off so he turns on his tape deck and it's a recording of him screaming at carlos boozer to box out and thibs is kind of bopping his head along when he gets to a good part.

I missed your thibs posts. Please be a Minnesota fan this season

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
God dammit gently caress y'all!! :argh:

I just woke up to 160 new posts and thought that PG got traded. Got my hopes up!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

NBA you should always go BPA no matter what you "need" figure it out later.

this ought to be common wisdom it's so god damned inarguable

it keeps him away from basketball and perfectly showcases his talents, a match made in heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=171skzi5BKc

(SPORX)

ALRIGHT

TOMORROW IS THE DAY WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR

WHO IS MAKING THE BIG3 THREAD?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Niwrad posted:

having the Finnish Bargnani

wow, wow, wow

wow

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

the Finnish Bargnani.

Markkanen is certainly the greatest Finnish Bull since Drew Gooden.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
when the gently caress do i get actual cavs conformtion on any of the cats they looking at

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

KAT averaged 25 and 12 on a team with zero spacing. Also I think being a big that can shoot provides a lot of inherent value, while being a wing that can't shoot the 3 particularly well (Jimmy Butler) can be a liability.

Also in terms of future trajectory, given the rate at which KAT is improving I would say he's in position to have a better year next season, even if you thought Butler was better in 16-17

I respect belief in advanced stats

Real talk who would your top 10 be?

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Tae posted:

yeah the all nba/dpoy/mvp extension (or designated player extension) can be between 30-35%, so players with fewer than 10 years of service are eligible for that 35% pay scale.

One would imagine that the guys who will be eligible for it in the next 5 years (Curry, Russ, Harden, Giannis, Davis) will just take the full boat 35%, so in practice that 30-35% variability doesn't matter much to teams with one MVP-caliber guy. The case where it might matter is Golden State, who will have 3 players eligible for the DPE in the next 3 years (Curry now, Klay and Draymond will be extension eligible in the next several years). Because teams can only provide 2 of these mega-extensions, they'll presumably give one to Curry now and then have to decide which of Klay or Draymond gets the other big extension and who will take the normal 30% max deal. The difference between the regular extension and DPE over the life of a five year deal will be over 30 million.

Idiotic all-nba position requirements could really start to gently caress this up in terms of eligibility and bargaining leverage. For example, Blake Griffin, Paul George and Gordon Hayward are currently ineligible for the DPE while DeAndre Jordan is eligible as an all-nba center.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 25, 2017

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The way that the Warriors throttled the Thunder after being down 3-1 gave Kevin Durant shaken baby syndrome.

He has yet to recover.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Dieng is much more of a concern. He always clogs the lane and needs to rework his trebuchet shot to be an effective 4. I can't see Thibs keeping him paired with KAT for extended minutes again this year. In limited spurts I think it is really effective. Dieng starting lineups had positive net ratings. He does tons of glue guy stuff and is a good defender. He can't guard the perimeter. Dieng's contract is also highway robbery, so I think they could move on from him this year or next draft.

I'd like to see a stretch 4 come into play and Dieng as a super-sub off the bench. Play him and KAT when you need a ton of size, otherwise let Dieng run a bench mob. Dieng is NBA-Starter level as a center already so if they need to trade him they can definitely get value back.

Tae posted:

Not in dollar terms, no. The Rose rule lets you treat guys coming off rookie contracts like 7 year players, the supermax let's you treat 7 year guys like 10 year guys.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

Real talk who would your top 10 be?

basketball reference -> all players -> sort by 3pt%

For real, in rough order:

Lebron, Curry, Kawhi, Durant, Harden, Davis, Paul, Westbrook.
Followed by some order of KAT, Cousins.
Followed by some order of Giannis, Paul George, Draymond Green, John Wall and Jimmy Butler.

Normally my 'must shoot 3s' mantra would hurt Giannis a lot but when I imagine him as a small ball 5 I get all hot and bothered

Unrelated, but can someone who knows more about salaries / contracts explain to me what the odds are that Melo / Wade will get bought out? How much money would it save their teams?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Isaiah Thomas getting no love itt

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

a new study bible! posted:

The way that the Warriors throttled the Thunder after being down 3-1 gave Kevin Durant shaken baby syndrome.

He has yet to recover.

Finals MVP says otherwise

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

warcrimes posted:

Does it though?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

warcrimes posted:

Curry got robbed like he did the first time

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

basketball reference -> all players -> sort by 3pt%

For real, in rough order:

Lebron, Curry, Kawhi, Durant, Harden, Davis, Paul, Westbrook.
Followed by some order of KAT, Cousins.
Followed by some order of Giannis, Paul George, Draymond Green, John Wall and Jimmy Butler.

Normally my 'must shoot 3s' mantra would hurt Giannis a lot but when I imagine him as a small ball 5 I get all hot and bothered

Unrelated, but can someone who knows more about salaries / contracts explain to me what the odds are that Melo / Wade will get bought out? How much money would it save their teams?

I would put Butler ahead of KAT and Cousins. Maybe in front of Davis since Dokmo hasn't shown us AD can cover the PnR yet.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Does it though?

https://twitter.com/juliephayer/status/878719398000730112/photo/1

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

so.... no?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

I would put Butler ahead of KAT and Cousins. Maybe in front of Davis since Dokmo hasn't shown us AD can cover the PnR yet.

AD has become better at defense once he basically became a Center.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm glad Durant admits he is a cupcake

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

I just said they are probably in win now mode because they made their coach the gm and they have as far as any one can tell one guaranteed year with butler unless he commits early to resigning.
They still have two guaranteed years with Jimmy Butler because he's under contract for two years. But taking your logic where they need to trade him after 1 if they don't get an extension promise it would be amusing to see them get back more than they gave.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I am interested in this as well. So Wade is making $24 million, what do the Bulls pay him in a buyout? Obviously less than 24 otherwise they would just keep him on the roster. Phil would probably pay Melo the full price if things get even worse just to get him out of there.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

euphronius posted:

Tho I assume Rubio will be banished by October.

euphronius posted:

Tho as I mentioned Rubio should be traded asap but who wants him he can't shoot.

euphronius posted:

Combine that with dieng and Rubio ugh. They have to get rid of Rubio.

Dexo posted:

Also the Wolves have cap space(assuming they can get rid of Rubio)

You guys suck and I hate you.

Also I am keen for Vince Carter joining the Spurs to get a ring.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Basically zero. The players have all the leverage so why would they take millions less? Usually buyouts are used for scrub role players to go to playoff teams after the deadline.

Larry Sanders is the only example I can think of that had a larger contract, and he was retiring. I think he got half of his contract.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hand Row posted:

Basically zero. The players have all the leverage so why would they take millions less? Usually buyouts are used for scrub role players to go to playoff teams after the deadline.

Larry Sanders is the only example I can think of that had a larger contract, and he was retiring. I think he got half of his contract.

Joe Johnson got bought out by the Nets and he was making 21 million that year.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Big!
Three!
Big!
Three!
Big!
Three!

Starts today!! I can't find out what time I think it's airing on FoxSports1 and there should be streams available

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Kenyon Martin on The Breakfast Club:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpqzmSqIsw
-JR filled his white-interior range rover with butter popcorn instead of plain, yuck. Martin's payback prank was making JR think he was about to get drug tested lol
-George Karl is a True POS and Martin will say that to his face because why wouldn't you
-Old Mannish complaining about how the game is SOFT now, I guess because some of the worst teams in the league are bad
-Why AI was so god damned good
-Much Much more!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Ricky is young, cheap, and really good at basketball. Have you all noticed that all Rubio trade rumors involve other teams fleecing the Wolves? It's because the rumors originate from non-Wolves sources, and the Wolves actually don't want to trade Rubio. Thibs understands how loving valuable and sexy Ricky is and he isn't trading him unless he gets a ridiculous offer.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

EvanTH posted:

Kenyon Martin on The Breakfast Club:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpqzmSqIsw
-JR filled his white-interior range rover with butter popcorn instead of plain, yuck. Martin's payback prank was making JR think he was about to get drug tested lol
-George Karl is a True POS and Martin will say that to his face because why wouldn't you
-Old Mannish complaining about how the game is SOFT now, I guess because some of the worst teams in the league are bad
-Why AI was so god damned good
-Much Much more!

until i see IT do something this savage, AI will always be the best small dude ever :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Dejan Bimble posted:

Didn't the collective we as a thread predict this would be another CBA tactic to limit free agent movement that would end up forcing teams to move players

How many players are worth the supermax, truly, like 6? And then you have to get lucky to get other good players for much less than what a random bad team will pay them. Lebron wants to bilk Dan Gilbert, that's fine, but this is going to result in a 1998 Allan Houston highest paid player sort of NBA

0 all stars, Conley, is already the highest paid player in the league no?

Cousins, if he had better pr, woulda been supermax. Butler, well the bulls are Sterling clippers, they in this for $$, so they ain't spending poo poo on anything.

When comparing worth vs value, it seems like its always been rare that high paid veteran are worth their salary, because you are comparing them to the younger players that get way less.

• Locked thread