Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hold on, are they shopping around for a synth-muscle body, or are they looking for a full transfer of consciousness into a biological brain, too?

Robot's "transfer of consciousness" was just plopping his head onto a new body. As a matter of fact, unless I'm mistaken, Robot is a little cpu that can fit inside a toy mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Potato Salad posted:

Hold on, are they shopping around for a synth-muscle body, or are they looking for a full transfer of consciousness into a biological brain, too?

Robot's "transfer of consciousness" was just plopping his head onto a new body. As a matter of fact, unless I'm mistaken, Robot is a little cpu that can fit inside a toy mouse.

I think that's Kat's next step after the synthetic body.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Also implying that maybe you could transfer a human consciousness into a robot body. Or upload it into a simulation. Or really annoy the gods of death by transferring their pet fire elemental/medium into an immortal robot platform?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My world is crumbling Tom

Potato Salad posted:

I think it's a case of "use what you know". The court does the soul swap thing so they were looking into that. Then Kat started project biobot and oh hey this looks like it'd be way easier, maybe she'll grow us one to order.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think Kat will look at transferring conciousness into a synthetic brain and bypass the CPU entirely. I think that's what's implied when in this panel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXIfaDg_454

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ditocoaf posted:

Wait, did we get an update 24 hours early?

I really got confused for a moment, started thinking the weekend was over and wondering why I wasn't seeing all the other comics that usually update on Sunday night or the first minute of Monday. (It helps that I have a weird and inconsistent work schedule, so weekends are basically meaningless).
https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/879000457330343936

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

he should upload another page tonight as penance for this terrible, horrible, AWFUL mistake :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
And afterwards he should upload another update, as a penance for uploading the wrong one today. etc.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
And then a third so the days line up properly again.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

cant cook creole bream posted:

They will coordinate this kinda badly. Juliet becomes a robot, while her boyfriend turns fleshy. Afterwards he is forced to follow the regulations and mock her.

:psylon: I sold my kidneys to buy you this platinum reactor plating!
:smith: I sold my fissile material to buy you this cheese of the month club subscription!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

cant cook creole bream posted:

They will coordinate this kinda badly. Juliet becomes a robot, while her boyfriend turns fleshy. Afterwards he is forced to follow the regulations and mock her.

This sounds like a weapon story from a Drakengard game

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so, the court specifically wouldn't like where kat's work is going, that's interesting. i wonder what they would do to stop her though? i'm pretty sure elimination's off the table. take away her workshop and notes? cut her funding?

does kat have funding?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tollymain posted:

so, the court specifically wouldn't like where kat's work is going, that's interesting. i wonder what they would do to stop her though? i'm pretty sure elimination's off the table. take away her workshop and notes? cut her funding?

does kat have funding?

She has robot volunteers that gather any junk she needs, I suppose.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Would the Jeanne secret count as leverage? How would the rank and file court inhabitants react to it?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

does kat have funding?

after-school suspension?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

after-school suspension?

'Now write "I will not give robots a soul" 100 timers on the blackboard'.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Tollymain posted:

does kat have funding?

Kat has virtually unlimited funding. She's got a free space to work and whatever incredibly ridiculous high-tech equipment she feels like asking for, either directly or in the sense that she can get materials to make it. That's definitely something the Court could threaten. Not to mention her parents, who live in and work for the Court.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean like obviously her stuff comes from somewhere but like does the court give students money for research or what

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Does the Court *even* use money?

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
The court certainly has money (its mentioned in traveller that Paz's family got lots of money from the court), but I don't remember ever seeing money in the court itself? Went to check the haircut chapter and there was no money seen exchanged for any of the transport or for the haircuts.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

idonotlikepeas posted:

Kat has virtually unlimited funding.

Somewhere a grad student starts salivating and doesn't know why.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The robots live to move and work, why would they want money for hair cutting or anything.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
with a seemingly self growing city of materials and robots that provide willing free labour I am not surprised if they only need money for the really abnormal stuff

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Considering the utility of the court's huge army of unpaid servants that literally live to work it's no surprise that they might take issue with Kat helping them become comparably fragile and exhaustible flesh.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 29, 2017

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

ChairMaster posted:

Considering the utility of the court's huge army of unpaid servants that literally live to work it's no surprise that they might take issue with Kat helping them become comparably fragile and exhaustible flesh.
Also, if Dr. Disaster is any indication, they've probably consumed enough science fiction to know that allowing your robot slave underclass to cross/blur the line between machine and man is a Very Bad Idea.

On the other hand, I'm now imagining Blade Runner/SNATCHER, except set in the Court... Would Robot be Metal Gear, or Random Hajile?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

On the other hand, I'm now imagining Blade Runner/SNATCHER, except set in the Court... Would Robot be Metal Gear, or Random Hajile?
Chin Shu Oh.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Tupperwarez posted:

On the other hand, I'm now imagining Blade Runner/SNATCHER, except set in the Court...

Now I'm wondering who will be Roy Batty.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The "long con" theory is looking less likely by the update.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Trouble in the ranks, perhaps?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Just don't do any wacky plans involving poison and you should be good, guys.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BECOME AS GODS

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
Kat needs to read RUR, this is going to end in tears(and the extinction of humanity)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Lurdiak posted:

The "long con" theory is looking less likely by the update.
They're still just talking. That's how conning the reader works, just talk for so long they forget to doubt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

They're still just talking. That's how conning the reader works, just talk for so long they forget to doubt

Conning "the reader"?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Kat was buying this from the get go, staying with the monolog for long enough is to get doubting readers to reconsider and buy it too

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Or you know, the reader is reconsidering because the supposed lies are becoming increasingly verifiable.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Actually, this is all Robot's secret plan to motivate the Angel to work harder. A heretical kind of day at the Court.

(Post-chapter bonus page is a conversation with Ocelot.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Actually, this is all Robot's secret plan to motivate the Angel to work harder. A heretical kind of day at the Court.

(Post-chapter bonus page is a conversation with Ocelot.)

Yes. The court doesn't suspect a thing... Mr. President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lurdiak posted:

Yes. The court doesn't suspect a thing... Mr. President.

:ocelot: :phoneb: :phoneline: :phone: