Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Ladies, gents, milestone hit.

I bought 2 new sinks and some painter's tape. I'm officially improving my new house. I couldn't be more pumped despite knowing how annoying this is all going to be.

Welcome to the fold. Swapping out my kitchen sink was the most stressful thing I did because it was the first thing I did when I bought my current and first house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

H110Hawk posted:

For your paint tray buy double the number of plastic liners you think you need, plus one.

This shows my lack of experience. What're these?

Hahaha, nevermind, I guess a "paint pan" in my head has always been the actual liner and not a metal pan. :shobon:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Higgy posted:

Welcome to the fold. Swapping out my kitchen sink was the most stressful thing I did because it was the first thing I did when I bought my current and first house.

There's a shower in the basement for some loving reason and the utility sink next to it both constantly drip water. That's my first thing to tackle in the land of plumbing so we'll see how badly I gently caress it up.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cannon_Fodder posted:

There's a shower in the basement for some loving reason and the utility sink next to it both constantly drip water. That's my first thing to tackle in the land of plumbing so we'll see how badly I gently caress it up.

Head on over to the DIY subforum for some amazing reads and to ask for help if you need it.

In other ownership news, my neighbor who was growing a weed (not the fun kind) garden in his rocky patch where the previous owner had his cars parked finally plucked them all out. Looks a million times better...they were turning into small trees.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

that's a decontamination chamber for working on bioweapons

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Higgy posted:

Head on over to the DIY subforum for some amazing reads and to ask for help if you need it.

In particular, Fix It Fast has your back for "help how do i house" questions. Even if you don't have any questions, it's a good place to hang out and absorb knowledge.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Bozart posted:

that's a decontamination chamber for working on bioweapons

It's my new brewery :3:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

emocrat posted:

Eh, theres some fairly simple stuff that I have found useful and pretty easy. For example, my living room has no switched lighting, we use 4 lamps to illuminate it. I set up an Insteon wall switch that controls a lamp module I put on each lamp and now I can control the lights from the hall. Hell of a lot better than walking a circle around the room turning each lamp individually as you go.

By no switched lighting, does that mean that all of your lights are hooked up to a wifi router?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

BusinessWallet posted:

How can I build a floating wooden deck on top of my fiberglass roof deck? I'd like to do this because it'll look nicer than the coated fiberglass, protect the roof, and most importantly level out the slope of the roof so it's more usable. Right now all the furniture doesn't sit right, like you're being ejected from the seat you're in. And my dog is eventually going to drop a tennis ball into the gutter somehow.

Be really, really, really, really, really careful here, is all I can say. My parents tried to have a deck over a flat roof and it constantly leaked everywhere the membrane was pierced. The third time they tried rebuilding it they finally used "pitch cups," where every support post sat in a literal cup of pitch, trying to keep water out of the holes. That kind of worked for a while.

A slight slope probably will make it work better, but unfortunately roofs do their jobs the best if you don't put holes in them.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Has anyone here ever messed with bat houses? I just moved from the frozen tundra of the upper Midwest to South Carolina and while the trees and lakes around the house are beautiful, the flying insects are shall we say a low point. Oddly enough I did a fair amount of cave camping as a kid and have no such aversion to bats. Does someone want to talk me out of raising an army of furry children of the night to descend upon the mosquitoes and wasps?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Higgy posted:

In other ownership news, my neighbor who was growing a weed (not the fun kind) garden in his rocky patch where the previous owner had his cars parked finally plucked them all out. Looks a million times better...they were turning into small trees.

I am definitely your neighbor. I haven't pulled the weeds out of my mulch bed in a year (and haven't put down new mulch either). I can't tell the difference between my bushes and my weeds at this point, and I honestly don't give a poo poo.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I am definitely your neighbor. I haven't pulled the weeds out of my mulch bed in a year (and haven't put down new mulch either). I can't tell the difference between my bushes and my weeds at this point, and I honestly don't give a poo poo.

I have an area of yard that has rail road ties as a border and mulch. Used to have a kid's playset on it. Took down the playset and the mulch just sat and turned into a weed garden. I've got a stand of those prickly bastards that's at least 6 feet tall and probably 10 feet around. I should probably figure out how to get rid of it, but the whole area is like 25'x40' with really bad fill dirt someone used. It's awful.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Nevermind, answered this very page!

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

Tricky Ed posted:

Be really, really, really, really, really careful here, is all I can say. My parents tried to have a deck over a flat roof and it constantly leaked everywhere the membrane was pierced. The third time they tried rebuilding it they finally used "pitch cups," where every support post sat in a literal cup of pitch, trying to keep water out of the holes. That kind of worked for a while.

A slight slope probably will make it work better, but unfortunately roofs do their jobs the best if you don't put holes in them.

Good advice. I was not planning on going through the roof at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tricky Ed posted:

Speaking of holes in the roof, what's the preferred method for fixing up the holes left by removing a satellite dish? I've left the eyesore up because I don't want to deal with leaks but I'm aching to get rid of it.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Take the pole and dish off the shoe that's bolted to your roof. Leave the shoe. That's what I did...you can't really tell it's there.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Tricky Ed posted:

I think he's saying he already has a fiberglass deck with a slope and he just wants to install a floating deck on top. I'm considering the same thing (next year).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheWevel posted:

Take the pole and dish off the shoe that's bolted to your roof. Leave the shoe. That's what I did...you can't really tell it's there.

There were three other empty mounts on the roof :ughh:

Easy enough to take off the dish and toss it in to the yard, though. I also managed to make a dent in the rat's nest of coax the previous owner had set up.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

You guys who don't like grass are silly

click for bigly

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol hope you like mowing all day

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:shrug:

CloFan posted:

Ain't she a beaut

oh god I've become Hank Hill

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lol you live in the hills

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

CloFan posted:

click for bigly

Seeing a yard like this, I see some usable space, and a bunch of "maybe use this giant lawn on occasion if I throw a big party" waste that needs to be mowed all the time. I'd go about planting shrubs and native herbacous plants to get some pollinators and songbirds in there, keeping a smaller lawn for day to day enjoyment.

But yeah, to each his own.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CloFan posted:

click for bigly

I don't mind mowing open areas because it is just a straight line. I loving hate mowing around landscaping/trees/any kind of obstacle. That wouldn't be so bad.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I heard a critter in my crawlspace last night. :argh:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel you. We found a baby mouse in our bathroom last night and now I feel like it's a race to get the rest before they multiple infinitely and I live in Mouse House.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Best option to get rid of the remains of a tree corpse? Neighbor and I took down a big one between our houses and are looking into the cheapest options for getting rid of it. He thinks there is a place that'll take the remains off our hands for free if we chip it first (vs ~$100 per trailer load otherwise) and haul it out there so I'm looking at renting a 6" chipper from a big box store and breaking it down. Had a tree service out to quote haul/dispose and it was $1400.

It is super sappy so I don't think it'll make good firewood.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
If you have the space, maybe use it for a hugelkultur bed?

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

buffbus posted:

Has anyone here ever messed with bat houses? I just moved from the frozen tundra of the upper Midwest to South Carolina and while the trees and lakes around the house are beautiful, the flying insects are shall we say a low point. Oddly enough I did a fair amount of cave camping as a kid and have no such aversion to bats. Does someone want to talk me out of raising an army of furry children of the night to descend upon the mosquitoes and wasps?

This has been on my "someday" list for years. Keeps getting bumped by other projects but would love to hear if anyone does have experience with bat houses.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

The Dave posted:

I feel you. We found a baby mouse in our bathroom last night and now I feel like it's a race to get the rest before they multiple infinitely and I live in Mouse House.

Day one in our new place and we found a few half dead baby mice scattered in a corner of the basement. So nasty. Got some traps down there now to catch their lovely momma but no luck yet. My wife insisted on using humane traps which seems generous considering the mice didn't seem too concerned about their own offspring.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

novamute posted:

Best option to get rid of the remains of a tree corpse? Neighbor and I took down a big one between our houses and are looking into the cheapest options for getting rid of it. He thinks there is a place that'll take the remains off our hands for free if we chip it first (vs ~$100 per trailer load otherwise) and haul it out there so I'm looking at renting a 6" chipper from a big box store and breaking it down. Had a tree service out to quote haul/dispose and it was $1400.

Pile some in your front yard, Craigslist -> "FREE FIREWOOD", see what happens.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Pile some in your front yard, Craigslist -> "FREE FIREWOOD", see what happens.

Had a guy come knocking at my door once, trying to sell me some firewood that he'd taken from the free pile three doors down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Delivery fee, sounds legit.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

novamute posted:

That's the best firewood. Starter logs are made of sappy pine stumps.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Paint tape is up, paint is being selected. While I toiled on getting every goddamn thing taped up, I was interrogated on color speculation. Now I'm being talked into resurfacing the floor and replacing the upstairs carpet.

I'm gonna say "gently caress that" and mop the fucker, and rent a carpet stretcher from the Hoe Despot.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Lysandus posted:

I heard a critter in my crawlspace last night. :argh:

You may be able to get your insurance company to pay for the poop removal and new insulation.

Edit: Nevermind crawlspace is under the house, get a tax abatement for running a nature preserve.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Elephanthead posted:

You may be able to get your insurance company to pay for the poop removal and new insulation.

Edit: Nevermind crawlspace is under the house, get a tax abatement for running a nature preserve.

Better solution: Move to a place where crawlspaces are practically unheard of and nearly every home has a real basement as God intended. :smug:

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

paternity suitor posted:

I think he's saying he already has a fiberglass deck with a slope and he just wants to install a floating deck on top. I'm considering the same thing (next year).

Yep! There are some pedestal systems that exist for this purpose specifically and seem pretty easy to DIY, but they're pretty expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
When we had to call some wild life people out, it felt like we were getting mugged. Quotes ranged from $350 to a little over $7,000. All pretty much the same work. Granted the $7k guy wanted to do a steel reinforced concrete moat around the house. Not kidding.