Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Fortunately, For Odin is actually pretty easy to do by itself cause you can just grab a bunch of land from England when making your nation so that they're a pushover in the actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mr. Fowl posted:

Just a tip if anyone wants to try to do this achievement: Colonize Bermuda. Because you can't forge a claim on it, you can't Threaten War for it so you can end up in trouble later on when you're painting the last bits of the Americas.

Agreed 100%, I only managed to snag Bermuda from a super swole Portugal (ate half of Castille) because Aragon (ate the other half) was my ally, had two times Portugal's army and ground access to them while also desiring their provinces - had to wait for the imperialism CB and let my friends loose on them, but that's not something you can count on every game.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Well thats one way for a run to end.. I havent done any of the Prussia achievements so I was playing as Brandenburg and things were going well. Until I get excommunicated which causes Bohemia and Poland to tag team me which would have been a winnable war if it wasnt for the fact that the -200 in relations caused me to get coalitioned by almost all of Germany.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Too Poetic posted:

Well thats one way for a run to end.. I havent done any of the Prussia achievements so I was playing as Brandenburg and things were going well. Until I get excommunicated which causes Bohemia and Poland to tag team me which would have been a winnable war if it wasnt for the fact that the -200 in relations caused me to get coalitioned by almost all of Germany.

You can only get coalitioned if you're over 50 AE. How fast did you expand?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Eej posted:

The first thing Johann put in when he took over was Mare Nostrum so yes, it was the beginning of a decline.

just to clarify some misunderstandings here that several people seemed to talk about none being really correct.(sorry that I quoted just specifically you) First and most important, it''s Johan, not Johann. Secondly he has always been in charge of EU4 Development but as the creative lead(what we call game director) who holds the vision of what the game should be, i.e lead ideas guy. Wiz was Project Lead when he worked on EU4, he then moved to be Stellaris Game Director. Though back then we didn't have dedicated game designers so Wiz was also doing sort of the job that DDRJake does today back then.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 25, 2017

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

You can only get coalitioned if you're over 50 AE. How fast did you expand?
Fast, but you cant get coalitioned if you have 50 relations with other countries. If you're not using that to your advantage in the HRE you arent doing it right. I just didnt expect to get hit with a -200 with every german nation.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

just to clarify some misunderstandings here that several people seemed to talk about none being really correct.(sorry that I quoted just specifically you) First and most important, it''s Johan, not Johann. Secondly he has always been in charge of EU4 Development but as the creative lead(what we call game director) who holds the vision of what the game should be, i.e lead ideas guy. Wiz was Project Lead when he worked on EU4, he then moved to be Stellaris Game Director. Though back then we didn't have dedicated game designers so Wiz was also doing sort of the job that DDRJake does today back then.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

There are multiple layers of leads in software development and I am certain that Wiz and/or Johan said that Johan has always been the EU4 head/lead; Wiz was also a lead of some sort, just at a lower tier/level.
:smug:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Too Poetic posted:

Fast, but you cant get coalitioned if you have 50 relations with other countries. If you're not using that to your advantage in the HRE you arent doing it right.

-The man who forgot to keep positive relations with the pope :v:

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I think you can still get excommunicated if the papal controller switches to someone who hates you, even if the pope doesn't.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Blorange posted:

I think you can still get excommunicated if the papal controller switches to someone who hates you, even if the pope doesn't.

They can only excommunicate countries that have negative relations with the pope.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

AnoHito posted:

-The man who forgot to keep positive relations with the pope :v:
He rivaled me, who sees that one coming?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Too Poetic posted:

He rivaled me, who sees that one coming?

The Pope?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Question: Can the Papal States restore the Roman Empire?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Nope. Most formable nations have a specific exemption for the Papal States (as well as the Holy Roman Empire).

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Holy crap, just noticed that they removed all the free cores Muscovy had in Novgorod. That feels like a huge hit. Does Russia have anything going for it now to face the Commonwealth/Scandinavia on one side and Uber-Ming on the other?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Well, in my last game, it got eaten by Scandinavia and the PLC so...

Maybe a player can take advantage of the Russia DLC stuff? They're reasonably powerful.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sephyr posted:

Holy crap, just noticed that they removed all the free cores Muscovy had in Novgorod. That feels like a huge hit. Does Russia have anything going for it now to face the Commonwealth/Scandinavia on one side and Uber-Ming on the other?

Muscovy never got free cores in Novgorod. They do still get the mission that gives them all the claims, but they tend not to roll it first anymore, I think because they have a Reclaim Core mission. If you're the player, take it, cancel it, and attack in a year.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Nice.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Has anyone else noticed this happening a lot this patch?

Specifically Muscovy/Russia getting its loving rear end kicked, leading to the Ottomans taking a bunch of steppe land and consequently getting huge and trashing Europe. Granted there was some weird shenanigans this game with PLC collapsing before the end of the 15th century that didn't help, but the basic pattern of Ottomans eating the Crimea -> Ottomans eating a bunch of Russia -> Ottomans eating anything else they please seems to happen in almost every game this patch. I've been the 2nd great power the entire game as Qing because I have to balance my expansion with spinning off tributaries whereas they can just grow and grow. Seems a bit weird given that they just added a bunch of Russia themed buffs

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I don't know but I started a game as muscovy, attacked novgorod to take Neva (and more provinces of course), 2 years later as rebels spawn and drain what's left of my manpower Denmark declared on me and kicked my rear end with 45k troops. Felt real bad.

Muscovy has all diplo slots occupied by vassals, looks like early game is tough if you're not extremely careful

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

skasion posted:

Specifically Muscovy/Russia getting its loving rear end kicked, leading to the Ottomans taking a bunch of steppe land and consequently getting huge and trashing Europe. Granted there was some weird shenanigans this game with PLC collapsing before the end of the 15th century that didn't help, but the basic pattern of Ottomans eating the Crimea -> Ottomans eating a bunch of Russia -> Ottomans eating anything else they please seems to happen in almost every game this patch. I've been the 2nd great power the entire game as Qing because I have to balance my expansion with spinning off tributaries whereas they can just grow and grow. Seems a bit weird given that they just added a bunch of Russia themed buffs

Mega-Ottomans has always been reasonably likely for me. Sometimes they just go crazy and conquer half of Europe. PLC dying makes this a lot more likely because they're one of the main things keeping the Ottomans in check. With regard to Russia, usually I see the two of them ally early on, but sometimes they just end up at each other's throats for whatever reason.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Muscovy/Russia was hit hard by institutions. My experience with them is that they can be 2 mil techs lower than other western nations by 1500 or so.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Played a Russia game first after buying Third Rome, they're an absolute power house imo. The new religious mechanic is very strong, they can get a half price mil advisor from an estate (only one I know of?), can colonize all of Siberia super quick without needing exploration and still have fantastic expansion options. I quit after getting the Siberian frontier cheevo, was 2nd GP (3rd most dev but ming didn't have all the institutions) and allied with 1 GP Ottomans. Felt too strong too early at that point.

One key thing that happened in my game though is I had a royal marriage with Lithuania and got the PU, had to fight Poland for it but Lithuania joined on my side (not entirely sure how the mechanic works) so I crushed them. After that I just started smashing everyone around me other than Otto who I blocked by making Crimea a large march to my south.

Obv this doesn't account for how the AI manages, but they're definitely super strong to play as.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's the Cossacks estate, Cossacks can only be placed on Steppe terrain and are basically like Nobility for autonomy purposes. The half-priced mil advisor is amazing

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TorakFade posted:

I don't know but I started a game as muscovy, attacked novgorod to take Neva (and more provinces of course), 2 years later as rebels spawn and drain what's left of my manpower Denmark declared on me and kicked my rear end with 45k troops. Felt real bad.

Muscovy has all diplo slots occupied by vassals, looks like early game is tough if you're not extremely careful

It's very easy as the player, just don't do any of the seige work, instead let your vassals handle it. All you have to do is wreck Novgorod's armies, they'll do the rest.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I haven't played this game in over a year after getting sick of it (I don't know if there are any games I have as much playtime in as EU4) and I want to try getting back in. What's fun to do right now? I see I just missed some crazy New World CN gimmick, is there anything else that's crazy and fun or is there an interesting way to do a WC out there right now?

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

That's the Cossacks estate, Cossacks can only be placed on Steppe terrain and are basically like Nobility for autonomy purposes. The half-priced mil advisor is amazing

Sorry I know about the cossacks, I just meant it's the only estate I know of that gives a mil advisor. Are there any others?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think that they're the only one

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

OneTwentySix posted:

is there an interesting way to do a WC out there right now?

WC are a boring grind by nature. That said, Kazan WC is fairly interesting.

I play for achievements to keep the game interesting. There's some pretty cool ones, like Frozen Assets and Venetian Sea.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

skasion posted:

Yeah, I've seen Muscovy basically get poo poo on every game I've done. Except the one where they ended up in a PU under Denmark.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
So that's a naval expansion the adds sailors, an asian expansion that adds the great blob of Ming, and a Russia expansion that ends up with Russia dying constantly.

What's next, a French expansion that leads to England pulling off the 0/0/0 led HYW on a constant loop?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I personally don't mind russia not forming an untouchable blob every single game so YMMV, but also;

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Hi, person trying to get Odoyev off the ground here, give me your Muscovy AI players please. :sigh:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Gonna snake all over and make tons of border gore until the Ottomans decide I'm not allowed to live any more. :v:

Ask me about my 22% Religious Unity :suicide:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
With that bordergore, I hope the great Sultan makes the right decision.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Nah, I don't need to worry about the Ottomans anymore.

Now Russia on the other hand :suicide:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I've never played England.

Is there a good guide/strategy for the opening and the next few decades?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

alcaras posted:

I've never played England.

Is there a good guide/strategy for the opening and the next few decades?

The first big decision you need to make is whether to fight for your holdings on the continent or surrender them to France. You'll want some big allies if you plan to defend those provinces-- Castile, Aragon, Burgundy (usually rivals England though), Austria. There is an event that triggers very early which will force you to surrender Maine or go to war with France.

You start with a 0/0/0 ruler and no heir, you actually don't want an heir because then you have King Shitlord for decades. The War of the Roses will trigger, it's really not that tough to deal with. Once it ends you'll get a new ruler with good stats.

Take it pretty easy in the early game until you stabilize after War of the Roses. Eat some of Ireland since that's easy, maybe Scotland if you get a chance without France joining. Your manpower is pretty bad, watch it carefully.

You don't really want to take Exploration first imo, take it second if you're going to colonize (I'm assuming so).

edit: oh I forgot to mention the Lollards event, that fires in the first few years and may give you high unrest in a few provinces depending on the option you pick. So in general your early game strategy is to chillax until you deal with War of the Roses and the Lollards.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 26, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The basic strategic decision to make as England is whether you contest the PU with France or not. It's a high risk high reward type thing and you can still get extremely powerful by just giving up your continental holdings right away, consolidating Britain and all-in colonizing as soon as possible, but successfully unioning France makes you just about unfuckwithable and though requires a bit of luck isn't super hard.

Basically merc up till you match France man for man, move the whole army in two stacks one to Normandy and one to Kent, try really hard to roll a siege general, ally as many as possible of Castile, Aragon, and Austria, try and diplovassalize Navarre if you're getting bored waiting for Surrender of Maine to fire, and then go off to war. Hopefully the French will try and attack Normandy with one stack and Gascony with the other, giving you a great chance to ship your other stack across to Normandy and deal them a heavy defeat. Siege down Paris fast and then focus on their other major stack, keeping an eye out to swat new French stacks as they pop up.

Biggest pitfalls of this are

1) you don't stackwipe the French in Normandy either because your generals suck or because they brought both their stacks. Solution is better generals and a bit of luck.
2) takes too long to siege down Paris and the French just build their army back up. Solution is better generals and a bit of luck.
3) Burgundy decides to take advantage of depleted manpower and declares on France. Not a huge problem since you can just conquer/inherit anything they take back anyway in the long run.
4) you beat them and win the war, but didn't stackwipe their army. They have a ton of liberty desire and some clown rear end rival of yours supports their independence. Solution is to prepare for round 2, and this time they'll have help, so make sure you wipe their armies this time so that you don't have to do this a third time.
5) more than one of the nations you should be allied to decided to ally France instead. Solution is probably restart, France + Castille is doable but France + Castille + Aragon is a bridge too far in my experience.
6) Wars of the Roses fires while your entire army is chilling in France. This is not necessarily insurmountable by itself but depending on how good your situation is when it hits, could be.

Anyway if you win the war you'll be in a bad situation for money and manpower so you want to chill out for a while. If you avoided 4), then you will have no natural enemies and a completely free hand in clearing out the rest of the British Isles. The Scandinavians might try to mess with you but that's about it. France is a hell of a guard dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

skasion posted:

4) you beat them and win the war, but didn't stackwipe their army. They have a ton of liberty desire and some clown rear end rival of yours supports their independence. Solution is to prepare for round 2, and this time they'll have help, so make sure you wipe their armies this time so that you don't have to do this a third time.

This is usually what trips me up if I go for the early PU. Do note that you can get a mission to PU France, you don't need to go to war with the Surrender of Maine.

I like to wait a couple decades to ride out War of the Roses and build up alliances and so on, then beat France in a war or two to reduce their size, then take the mission and PU them.

I found it really tough to keep their Liberty Desire down with the early PU.

• Locked thread