Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

KayTee posted:

So some guy I follow on the Facebook dot com did a meme competition after this collection of alpha males got together:

(One of them is Sargon of Akkad. I dunno who the others are except that they're people happy to hang out with Sargon of Akkad.)

In the spirit of fairness he decided to do another one when he found this pic of another group of wierdos:

I thought I'd share the results:

and my personal fave:

:3

e: goddamnit imgur! gimme a sec...
ee: done! Enjoy! :)
Everyone in all of those pictures deserve a swirly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fabricated posted:

Actually two of those in the bottom picture deserve my Patreon money. :shrug:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I remember reading something by Hbomb I think about how Armoured Skeptic was the least alt-righty of the alt-rightos and that he would like to convert him. Add to this Contra saying the same in another video, I'm down with spreading SJW propaganda to the alt-right.

Do we not destroy fascists when we make them comrades?

There's such a huge gap between the actual humans who make youtube videos and what we see of them in youtube videos. Obviously young people like ones in the photo can make mistakes and change their minds, but because they're youtube personalities people perceive them as characters in a drama extrapolated entirely from what partial parts of them are visible. Twitter has so destroyed the possibility of meaningful discourse that all you can do on it is insult and deride. I can easily believe some of the reactionary population is genuinely misinformed about things like feminism and that they say the things they do because the internet makes discourse so hostile and inhumane.

If those kids had the beginning of a meaningful conversation with some pretty good expositors of nuanced ideas (probably the best, really. Contra has Socrates training), I am all for it. It's probably incredibly easy to feel assailed and victimized by internet discourse if you're white and don't have a great sense of what feminism is or why racism isn't over, in a way that just endlessly intensifies if you respond to a hostile response with greater hostility.

As much as I love it, I think the clever takedowns of obviously lovely arguments by reactos really do drive part of this increasingly significant internet culture war. While some are hopeless or obvious grifters (Sargon), I bet someone with some empathy and training as a psychiatrist could even bring The Golden One back to something like full humanity, as he's obviously trying to compensate for some deep insecurity.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Actually two of those in the bottom picture deserve my Patreon money. :shrug:
are the nudes good

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fabricated posted:

are the nudes good

:raise:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Please don't put entertaining and/or insightful people on a pedestal, it's unhealthy for many reasons.

We're all just people and we're all basically crazy. Nobody has any expectations here except to have a good time. We just live in a weird scary time and nobody knows what's going to happen.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Fabricated posted:

All of humanity deserves a swirly. We are all born in sin.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Puppy Time posted:

All of humanity deserves a swirly. We are all born in sin.

Actually nobody does, that's unhygienic and disgusting. Also most countries don't have the weirdly water-rich American toilet bowls, so it doesn't even make sense.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

business hammocks posted:

There's such a huge gap between the actual humans who make youtube videos and what we see of them in youtube videos. Obviously young people like ones in the photo can make mistakes and change their minds, but because they're youtube personalities people perceive them as characters in a drama extrapolated entirely from what partial parts of them are visible. Twitter has so destroyed the possibility of meaningful discourse that all you can do on it is insult and deride. I can easily believe some of the reactionary population is genuinely misinformed about things like feminism and that they say the things they do because the internet makes discourse so hostile and inhumane.

If those kids had the beginning of a meaningful conversation with some pretty good expositors of nuanced ideas (probably the best, really. Contra has Socrates training), I am all for it. It's probably incredibly easy to feel assailed and victimized by internet discourse if you're white and don't have a great sense of what feminism is or why racism isn't over, in a way that just endlessly intensifies if you respond to a hostile response with greater hostility.

As much as I love it, I think the clever takedowns of obviously lovely arguments by reactos really do drive part of this increasingly significant internet culture war. While some are hopeless or obvious grifters (Sargon), I bet someone with some empathy and training as a psychiatrist could even bring The Golden One back to something like full humanity, as he's obviously trying to compensate for some deep insecurity.

Really the gap between IRL and internet video is best shown by Sargon himself, awkwardly walking into rooms to swivel his gopro around then leave, getting publicly humiliated and then swerving deeper into nazi support and throwing an online tantrum about how his feelings were hurt. From his videos you'd expect some cool and collected intellectual, with quips at the ready, well read on his subjects beforehand etc.

(Well, you'd expect that if you didn't really pay attention and just kind of flipped through some of his less uhh... eccentric videos)

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

SO, here's a video I did on Clive Barker's "Cabal" as well as briefly touching on it's film adaptation "Nightbreed".

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Here's some internet critic/review stuff I've been meaning to share.

A while back, Shamus Young did a big write up for the Mass Effect series, and since then, he's done a couple other write-up for other games. He just finished one up on Batman: Arkham City, and it looks like he's starting one on Diablo 3. He also did one on Final Fantasy X, though I didn't follow it.

SomeCallMeJohnny is starting a look at the Kingdom Hearts games. I stopped playing the games after KH2, and while I've thought about picking up the PS4 collection, it's cool to see that he's doing a retrospective of the series.

Finally, there's Shooting Crap, a series of videos done by Richard Cobbett. lt looks like it's been about a year since he's done a video, but he's looked at a couple of hilariously bad games like Mystery of the Druids and Noctropolis (which I realized while writing this was actually one of the videos he did back when he was writing for PC Gamer)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 25, 2017

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

SunAndSpring posted:

I think this might actually be worse than Foldable, Lindsey, and Hbomb having a collective moment of stupid and acting chummy with alt-lite pieces of poo poo like Armoured Skeptic.

Hey, if you're gonna poo poo on that, at least post the pic of it:

Also, it's a picture at a con. Get over yourself.

The guy on the right is having none of this poo poo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PassTheRemote posted:

The guy on the right is having none of this poo poo.

Folding ideas: What am I doing with my life.

Alternately, https://youtu.be/4zLfCnGVeL4

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 25, 2017

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Also the AS meetup seems to be involved with an Hbomb vid on which he'll criticize his approach and all, so it wasn't as much this weird apologia but more of a "Ok I get the feeling we can work on your issues" ordeal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kunster posted:

Also the AS meetup seems to be involved with an Hbomb vid on which he'll criticize his approach and all, so it wasn't as much this weird apologia but more of a "Ok I get the feeling we can work on your issues" ordeal.

yea unless I'm missing some real deplorable poo poo about him I thought AS' biggest issues were that he's just kinda a dick and an incredibly smug new-atheist type who thinks literally everything bad comes from religion

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

yea unless I'm missing some real deplorable poo poo about him I thought AS' biggest issues were that he's just kinda a dick and an incredibly smug new-atheist type who thinks literally everything bad comes from religion

He's also a sexist dipshit and defended Trump so...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Annointed posted:

welp

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Annointed posted:

That was already covered under "smug nu-atheist."

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The ordeal (from what I can piece together) is that for Hbomb and ShaunJen and so on, he's one of the least bad ones from that group, not that he's innocent from being lovely.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Jim Sterling takes aim at a game music composer who went DMCA crazy to extort money from a game developer

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 25, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Also him and Shoe still pretty happily pal around with the super toxic types like Blair White, Sargon et al.

The problem is while they don't actively take part in the worst parts of the anti-sjw circlejerk, they don't exactly condemn it either and come off enabling/endorsing said shittiness through silence. Natural to see why the rationalisation of 'they're the most reasonable' is a little hard to swallow.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

What does it matter who a bunch of Youtube personalities went to dinner with? It’s not like they’re all suddenly best friends or anything, and even if they were it wouldn’t be anyone else’s business but theirs.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you're in a room with one rear end in a top hat and you're automatically an rear end in a top hat forever.

sorry I DONT MAKE THE RULES

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

you're in a room with one rear end in a top hat and you're automatically an rear end in a top hat forever.

sorry I DONT MAKE THE RULES

It's like Zombies but you only have to be near them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kunster posted:

Hopefully Hbomb will get some tail time with all who were present.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

What does it matter who a bunch of Youtube personalities went to dinner with? It’s not like they’re all suddenly best friends or anything, and even if they were it wouldn’t be anyone else’s business but theirs.

The issue is more with the photo op which frames it as a "we're all friends here" situation, suggesting both sides are equal and giving the hateful bigots a small amount of legitimacy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
im sorry, guy I randomly meet on a convention, in order to hang out with US, we have to make sure that you don't have an rear end in a top hat first. please give us a doc telling us your entire life history.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

im sorry, guy I randomly meet on a convention, in order to hang out with US, we have to make sure that you don't have an rear end in a top hat first. please give us a doc telling us your entire life history.

No one is saying that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Never ceases to amaze me at how garbage people can be. Regardless if they're in the right, this is not the way to go about things. Good on Jim to keep his cool, you could tell this sort of poo poo gets under his skin something fierce.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Never ceases to amaze me at how garbage people can be. Regardless if they're in the right, this is not the way to go about things. Good on Jim to keep his cool, you could tell this sort of poo poo gets under his skin something fierce.

And it's Starr Mazer: DSP on which the soundtrack itself is one of the best parts of the game.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Looking more into it apparently the composer is having some sort of breakdown and is now trying to sure Time Warner and Turner Broadcasting over music she did for an adult swim game in which case she is hosed.

https://twitter.com/SirTapTap/status/878726813236826112

Also apparently there is a male video game composer named Alex Mauer too and I feel sorry for that guy because people are going to be throwing so much poo poo at him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Genocyber posted:

The issue is more with the photo op which frames it as a "we're all friends here" situation, suggesting both sides are equal and giving the hateful bigots a small amount of legitimacy.

You can be friends with people you disagree with politically.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Red Mundus posted:

Also apparently there is a male video game composer named Alex Mauer too and I feel sorry for that guy because people are going to be throwing so much poo poo at him.

It's the same individual.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

You can be friends with people you disagree with politically.

That's not entirely true. That argument applies to stuff life economics, perception on freedom, drugs and law and order (to some degree) but it goes straight out the window with LGBT and race questions. If your political stance is some variation of 'you are not a human being deserving of basic rights because of what you are' then there really is no middle ground to find. It really is an all or nothing question and you absolutely can not be on friendly terms. Their personal identity is their political stance, the two are the same. Therefore, I can emphasize with why some felt betrayed when they saw this picture.

That said, I still think this is way overblown.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay, for real this time: Mike and Jay review Transformers: The Last Knight.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
God, how pious are you guys to be judgemental over a dumb convention picture?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

That's not entirely true. That argument applies to stuff life economics, perception on freedom, drugs and law and order (to some degree) but it goes straight out the window with LGBT and race questions. If your political stance is some variation of 'you are not a human being deserving of basic rights because of what you are' then there really is no middle ground to find. It really is an all or nothing question and you absolutely can not be on friendly terms. Their personal identity is their political stance, the two are the same. Therefore, I can emphasize with why some felt betrayed when they saw this picture.

That said, I still think this is way overblown.
How is a Libertarian's belief that all poor people should be worked to death in sweat shops any different than a racist's belief that all black people should be worked to death on plantations?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tired Moritz posted:

God, how pious are you guys to be judgemental over a dumb convention picture?

honestly I'm amazed this thread is as highly rated as it is

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

honestly I'm amazed this thread is as highly rated as it is

This thread somehow even survived the period where there were no mods in this section of the forums, I'm surprised it hasn't been shitposted to death yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Terrible Opinions posted:

How is a Libertarian's belief that all poor people should be worked to death in sweat shops any different than a racist's belief that all black people should be worked to death on plantations?

Well I mean in general libertarians are so insufferable you won't stay friends with them for other reasons.

• Locked thread