Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

I today I discovered a sickening thing you can field as IG that I want to field just for shits and giggles, and because it has to be obnoxious as gently caress.

Biggest limiting factor this edition: how much IG stuff you got? 12 lascannon teams and 6 heavy bolter teams? Golden.

I don't think anyone here has that many heavy weapons, except maybe cupola boy with his heavy bolters. Actually, can you put space marine devastator squads in the back of a stormlord? :getin:

The FAQ forum/website thing GW promised to launch cannot come fast enough if only to cover forge world's rear end at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Sadly no. The transport rules specify "Astra Militarum models".

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Dark Apostle
- 1x apostle w/ combi-melta + power maul
- 95 points

Chaos Cultists
- 40x cultists w/ auto-pistols + combat weapons
- 200 points

Chaos Cultists
- 40x cultists w/ auto-guns
- 200 points

495 points total
81 models total

Apostle marches up the board with the pistol cultists and has them re-roll all failed attacks while the protective meat shield ensures he can use his combi-melta to pop any walkers or the stray tank that somehow ends up at the 500 point level meanwhile the gun cultists get 80 S3 shots in rapid-fire range

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Strobe posted:

I today I discovered a sickening thing you can field as IG that I want to field just for shits and giggles, and because it has to be obnoxious as gently caress.

Stormlord (430) [599]
Heavy Stubber x2 (8)
Autocannon (15)
Twin Heavy Bolter (14)
Vulcan Mega-Bolter (0)
Adamantium Tracks (0)
Lascannon x4 (80)
Twin Heavy Bolter x4 (52)

Heavy Weapons Squad 72
Heavy Weapons Team x3 (12)
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 72
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 72
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 36
Lascannon x3 (60)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenade (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 36
Heavy Bolter x3 (24)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenade (0)

Heavy Weapons Squad 36
Heavy Bolter x3 (24)
Lasgun x3 (0)
Frag Grenade (0)

Company Commander (30)
Laspistol (0)
Chainsword (0)
Frag Grenades (0)

Total: 989

The Stormlord can transport up to 40 models (Heavy Weapon Teams count as 2), and up to 20 models can fire from the back per turn. That means all 12 Lascannons and six Heavy Bolters can be fired every turn from the HWTs, plus the 20 S6 AP-2 D2 shots from the main gun, plus 4 more Lascannon shots from the sponsons, then 30 shots from the Twin Heavy Bolters, and another 6 from the Heavy Stubbers, then 2 from the Autocannons, plus Lasguns if you're close enough. I'm not entirely sure whether the Company Commander can issue orders from the back like that, but rerolling 1s to hit on all that ordnance is... well, it's a lot of wounds.

EDIT: it's the Heavy Support Detachment, plus a Lord of War auxiliary detachment (I forget if there's one that gives you a CP). Totally battleforged. :v:

Not bad, but you need to replace all those Heavy Bolter Sponsons with the max number of Heavy Flamer ones. That way you'll also get the 8d6 S5 AP-1 autohits on any bastard stupid enough to try and charge you.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They can just charge you from 8.01" away, and there's enough bonuses to charge and command rerolls that an 8+ isn't too hard to get.

Xarlaxas posted:

Yeah, I think that it definitely could. For FAQs do we just spam the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page with questions or is there a specific e-mail address or something?

My rule of thumb with ambiguous rules tends to be "read the definition of the rule as whatever is worse for me, personally" so I suspect we're both right that it won't be so easy to get a turn 1, no overwatch, rear charge from deep-striking Warp Talons with Lightning Claws. :(

Spam the Facebook page, from the looks of it.

Also: I've not seen this one yet in here:

Macharius Vulcan: If this model does not move during the Movement phase, in the preceding Shooting phase, change this weapon's Type to Heavy 30 until the end of the turn.

40k's complicated enough without time travel.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They can just charge you from 8.01" away, and there's enough bonuses to charge and command rerolls that an 8+ isn't too hard to get.

Spam the Facebook page, from the looks of it.

Also: I've not seen this one yet in here:

Macharius Vulcan: If this model does not move during the Movement phase, in the preceding Shooting phase, change this weapon's Type to Heavy 30 until the end of the turn.

40k's complicated enough without time travel.

Spamming in progress! :v:

Um, wow, that's certainly something that will need an errata: I assume they meant the proceeding Shooting phase. Also, is Heavy 30 a typo? That seems like a lot of *any kind of shot*. :aaaaa:

Also, speaking of Charging from 8.01" away, whenever the deep-striking rules say more than X (usually 9) inches away, I guess that people are measuring 9.01", and not 10"? I guess it doesn't matter, as you'd still need 9 on the dice to pull off a 9.01" or a 10" charge anyway. . . .

EDIT: Just noticed another thing: T'au with the Bonding Knife Ritual automatically pass their Morale tests if they get a 6. It doesn't say "an unmodified 6" like the Designer's Commentary specifies, and the Morale phase says:

Morale Phase posted:

To take a Morale test, roll a dice and add the number of models from the unit that have been slain this turn.

Which appears to be a modifier to the die roll: does that mean that, if an effect lowered the Leadership of a unit with the Bonding Knife Ritual below 6, and then the unit suffered, say, 3 casualties, you roll a 3 on your die, modified up to 6, the ritual means you pass and don't lose any extra models? :confused:

Xarlaxas fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 25, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Perhaps, but the Superheavies have the rule that lets them fire even if within 1" of someone. So maybe they can weasel in the charge...but if they don't blow you up you can still fry them on your next shooting phase.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I find it hilarious that Company Veterans can dual-wield combi-weapons.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Test model for my poxwalkers, he is so happy to see you :D

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I find it hilarious that Company Veterans can dual-wield combi-weapons.

That's amazing. If you fire both of them at the same time with all options I guess you'd get a -2 to hit though? Still, would make for a cool John Woo-style Company Veteran squad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Black_Nexus posted:

Test model for my poxwalkers, he is so happy to see you :D

I wanna give him a hug so bad.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Xarlaxas posted:

That's amazing. If you fire both of them at the same time with all options I guess you'd get a -2 to hit though? Still, would make for a cool John Woo-style Company Veteran squad.

Ah but if they're both Combi-Flamers, who cares about a -2 to hit with the Bolter shots?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Just had a space marine vs. space marine game, 1500pts, the mission was No Mercy. Lost by 1 point in turn 6, which was way closer than it looked.

Thoughts follow:
-Lias Issodon babysitting two laserbacks and a las devastator squad is a frightening sight. His special boltgun is pretty nice too.
-Say what you will about smite, its goddamn brutal when it goes off. My librarian wiped out a combat squad bubblewrapping his gravis captain, and then took down half a vindicator. His burned down most of a scout squad who were engaged in combat.
-The amount of saves you still get is kinda nuts, especially when you wouldn't expect them like against powerfists and such. There were at least two occasions where I hit and wound his vehicles with two lascannons, only for him to roll boxcars :argh:
-Vindicators weren't particularly effective against my entrenched infantry, but whenever they went against a vehicle they absolutely wrecked it. RIP Contemptor.
-Everyone knows about the twin assault cannon razorbacks. Twin las razorbacks are okay. Las-plas razorbacks are a surprise winner now that they get 4 plasma shots at close range.
-Sternguard are still good. That -2AP goes way further than you would expect.
-Vehicle changes are going to take a while to get used to. Me and my opponent are too used to shenanigans based around measuring LOS from the weapons instead of anywhere on the model. Led to things like a character I thought was out of LOS getting picked off by a flyer among other things.
-Sniper Scouts don't seem too great and didn't do much. Got one round of shooting off before they were charged by a combat squad. Giving the sergeant a power sword paid off and might've turned things around for the squad had his librarian not intervened.
-Command Points are a goddamn smart addition to the game and even if you're just using them for rerolls managing them well is going to be one of those skills you gotta learn. Of note was my opponent burning a reroll to attempt to end the game while he was ahead in kill points at the end of turn 5.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Ah but if they're both Combi-Flamers, who cares about a -2 to hit with the Bolter shots?

Best. Squad. Ever.

Speaking of flamers, I was working on a (theoretical) Sisters of Battle list:

The Order of Divine Ascension 2000 points posted:

++ Brigade Detachment +9CP (Imperium - Adeptus Ministorum) ++

+ HQ +

Canoness: Bolt pistol, Power Sword

Canoness: Bolt pistol, Power Sword

Canoness: Bolt pistol, Plasma pistol

+ Troops +

Battle Sister Squad
. 8x Battle Sister
. Battle Sister w/ Special or Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
. Sister Superior: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

Battle Sister Squad
. 8x Battle Sister

Battle Sister Squad
. 8x Battle Sister

Battle Sister Squad
. 8x Battle Sister

Battle Sister Squad
. 8x Battle Sister

Battle Sister Squad
. 8x Battle Sister

+ Elites +

Imagifier x8

+ Fast Attack +

Dominion Squad
. Dominion Superior: Bolt pistol, Combi-flamer
. Dominion w/ Special Weapon: Flamer

Dominion Squad
. Dominion Superior: Bolt pistol, Combi-flamer

Seraphim Squad
. 7x Seraphim
. Seraphim Superior: Bolt pistol, Plasma pistol
. Seraphim w/ Special Weapons: 2x Inferno Pistols
. Seraphim w/ Special Weapons: 2x Inferno Pistols

+ Heavy Support +

Retributor Squad
. Retributor Superior: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta

Retributor Squad
. Retributor Superior: Boltgun, Bolt Pistol
. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

Retributor Squad
. Retributor Superior: Boltgun, Bolt Pistol

+ Dedicated Transport +

Immolator: Hunter-killer missile, Immolation Flamer, Storm bolter

Immolator: Hunter-killer missile, Immolation Flamer, Storm bolter

The idea would be to have the Dominion Squads in the Immolators, getting the vanguard move, and getting close to the enemy and burn them nicely, the Heavy Bolter Squads would camp and take out the infantry, while the Multi-Melta squad deals with any nasty looking critters, not sure what to do with the Seraphim, other than have them drop in and pistol stuff to death, while the gun-line of 60 SoBs marches towards the objectives, using the Imagifiers to (hopefully) get some extra Acts of faith.

Not entirely sure what I'm doing with the Canonesses either. :v:

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Master Twig posted:

The stealers started on the table. The warriors and devilgaunts showed up in the Trygon tunnels. The tournament went well! I went 3 - 0, but finished 3rd due to points. (3 people were 3-0 at the end. Too many players.)

First round was against Eldar. 4 wave serpents full of wraiths. 1 thing that was like a wave serpent but shot better. Tabled them turn 4.

Second round was against Thousand Suns. 2 rubric squads. Predator. Helldrake. 10 termies and a termie sorcerer. Tabled them turn 3. Didn't lose a single unit.

Last round was against Matt Root, the #1 ranked player from ITC last season. He had orks. 3 trukks full of boys. 2 full of tankbustas. Big Mek on bike. Warboss. Gorkanaut. Game finished turn 7 and he had one lone boy on the table, on an objective. I had another objective. I had 9 devilgaunts, a half wounded exocrine, and a single warrior left on the table. Both got slay warlord. Neither got linebreaker. I won due to First Blood.

The guy who won the tournament ran 3 stormravens. 2nd place was running Taurox spam.

Whoah, I didn't see that coming. Congratulations! I would've thought the list would have lots of trouble against vehicles, how did you deal with them so fast?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Xarlaxas posted:

Best. Squad. Ever.

Speaking of flamers, I was working on a (theoretical) Sisters of Battle list:

The idea would be to have the Dominion Squads in the Immolators, getting the vanguard move, and getting close to the enemy and burn them nicely, the Heavy Bolter Squads would camp and take out the infantry, while the Multi-Melta squad deals with any nasty looking critters, not sure what to do with the Seraphim, other than have them drop in and pistol stuff to death, while the gun-line of 60 SoBs marches towards the objectives, using the Imagifiers to (hopefully) get some extra Acts of faith.

Not entirely sure what I'm doing with the Canonesses either. :v:

That's a terrifying list.

Although the lack of exorcists would make dealing with big nasties at range an issue. Otherwise it's very, very solid.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Not bad, but you need to replace all those Heavy Bolter Sponsons with the max number of Heavy Flamer ones. That way you'll also get the 8d6 S5 AP-1 autohits on any bastard stupid enough to try and charge you.

All those heavy bolters are twins so they get 6 shots. 5 twin heavy bolters is 30 S5 AP-1 shots. I can't imagine anyone trying to charge a unit within 8 inches that has 8d6 autohits. The heavy bolters are also 16 points cheaper which isn't inconsequential. For comedy purposes you can switch all the lascannons for mortars to get 18d6 S4 hits if you love rolling dice. On average that is 63 shots. With a heavy bolter stormlord and mortars your can reliably throw out 100+ shots on the enemy. Lascannons are probably better though since the stormlord already has a 20 S6 -2 2D primary weapon before you even add on the sponsons and stubbers.

The problem with the Stormlord for me is having to buy all those heavy weapon teams.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeast posted:

Although the lack of exorcists would make dealing with big nasties at range an issue. Otherwise it's very, very solid.

Range doesn't seem to be much of an issue with this edition.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Luebbi posted:

Whoah, I didn't see that coming. Congratulations! I would've thought the list would have lots of trouble against vehicles, how did you deal with them so fast?

The Broodlord, Hive Tyrant and Trygons are all exceptional at assaulting vehicles and putting out lots of damage. The exocrine is also quite excellent at it. And believe it or not, devourer gaunts are very good at vehicles that are only T7 or less. They may only wound on 5s, but with that many shots, you're gonna average 13 wounds (thanks to rerolling 1s to wound).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My primer fuzzed and ruined my Gravis Captain, Ancient and one of my lieutenants :suicide:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Finally finished the Mordian Rough riders I've been working on for like two years now. 8th is really inspiring me to finish a lot of half finished projects.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Arven posted:

Finally finished the Mordian Rough riders I've been working on for like two years now. 8th is really inspiring me to finish a lot of half finished projects.

These look terrific! Can I ask you where you got the lances? I am seriously tempted to do some cold one riding feral world type rough riders.

I have just finished building a converted Chimera (nearly, I need to fill gaps and drill barrels). Hoping to get 2 more. The idea was to make something shaped a bit more like a modern IFV:

I have magnetised the pintle mounted storm bolter and both weapon mounts. The gun there is a heavy stubber barrel glued to the end of the heavy bolter turret weapon - figure it looks alright. I'll play it as a heavy bolter.

I think the best tactical way to play these is now with 2 heavy flamers, but I don't really like the look of the old school style ones which are still produced for IG vehicles. Does anyone know a good source for the newer style heavy flamer muzzles? You get them in IG command squads and sentinels, but I only ever bought a few of those and have already used the bits up.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
I've heard rumor of a Goon Warhammer slack. Can I get that linkage love?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

All those heavy bolters are twins so they get 6 shots. 5 twin heavy bolters is 30 S5 AP-1 shots. I can't imagine anyone trying to charge a unit within 8 inches that has 8d6 autohits. The heavy bolters are also 16 points cheaper which isn't inconsequential. For comedy purposes you can switch all the lascannons for mortars to get 18d6 S4 hits if you love rolling dice. On average that is 63 shots. With a heavy bolter stormlord and mortars your can reliably throw out 100+ shots on the enemy. Lascannons are probably better though since the stormlord already has a 20 S6 -2 2D primary weapon before you even add on the sponsons and stubbers.

The problem with the Stormlord for me is having to buy all those heavy weapon teams.

You're getting all the Heavy Bolter you need from the Heavy Weapon Squads. And you're right, almost no one would try to charge four Twin Heavy Flamers....which is the point. It means you can ignore tank-busting melee units and can focus your fire on anything with ranged anti-tank weapons. It's purely preventative, but eliminating an entire attack vector is no small thing. Occasionally you'll drive within 8" of somebody and then give them a fiery enema, but the point is to make things like Genestealers and Assault Squads either useless or force them to suicide against your wall of flame to try and get at you.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

These look terrific! Can I ask you where you got the lances? I am seriously tempted to do some cold one riding feral world type rough riders.

Thanks! The riders and their equipment are entirely from Victoria Lamb.

I spent about $80 total for 10 rough riders (I managed to get a good deal on the horses on eBay). That sounds crazy expensive until you look around and see that Forgeworld Krieg rough riders or Attilans on eBay all cost $20+ per model.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Genghis Cohen posted:

<FW gently caress-ups>

Are you so mad you'll make a fandex about it? :v: I feel felt your pain.

Bootlickers posted:

grrrr consumers expecting to be able to reliably use the products for which they've paid and into which they've put countless quanta of time and effort to paint and preserve sure are ~*~entitled~*~

lmao

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I just realized the "fix bayonets" order probably includes 6" of pile-in and consolidation moves. Could be useful for bubble-wrapping with conscripts.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Master Twig posted:

The Broodlord, Hive Tyrant and Trygons are all exceptional at assaulting vehicles and putting out lots of damage. The exocrine is also quite excellent at it. And believe it or not, devourer gaunts are very good at vehicles that are only T7 or less. They may only wound on 5s, but with that many shots, you're gonna average 13 wounds (thanks to rerolling 1s to wound).

I have only played two games with my Nids in 8th but it seems like termagants are very good. If I were looking to lose friends I would buy another tervigon and build 20 more devourer termagants and run two tervigons and 3 units of 10 devgants + 20 fleshborers as the base of my army.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I think one of the funniest parts about rules missing for models they made (knarloc, mega dred) is that Tyranid Shrikes (and Sky-slasher swarms) have rules in the regular index, not even the forgeworld one.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Arven posted:

Thanks! The riders and their equipment are entirely from Victoria Lamb.

I spent about $80 total for 10 rough riders (I managed to get a good deal on the horses on eBay). That sounds crazy expensive until you look around and see that Forgeworld Krieg rough riders or Attilans on eBay all cost $20+ per model.

Cheers, I will look into the cost for lances + legs. I agree the FW death riders, while nice, are loving insane. But then again almost all FW stuff is insanely expensive. I mean, I can almost see why they can charge that much for Titans. It's beyond stupid, but if your disposable income includes the price of a used car, then I suppose you can't buy a 2' tall resin model with that much detail anywhere else. But you look at a little tank I can hold in the palm of my hand, and it's £90 . . . sure, the same size thing from GW is £40 and the FW one looks nicer, but god drat. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Are you so mad you'll make a fandex about it?

Well let's not do anything crazy!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

First look at the Primaris Reivers infiltrators, some new starter kits:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/25/new-primaris-space-marines-and-death-guard-announced/

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I like these skull boys

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Same. Captain and Librarian are cool as well. I really want to see the Primaris multipart kits now though.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lol they hosed up. Deathshroud Terminators have scythes, not grenade launchers. They meant Grave Wardens.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Reavers are adorably edgy, Primaris Characters look neat, new Plague Marine and Poxwalker sculpts look cool. Like that they're continuing the the trend AoS started with it's different sized starters, makes starting out fresh way less intimidating.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Those new box sets look a lot like the infinity starter sets.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Reavers are adorably edgy, Primaris Characters look neat, new Plague Marine and Poxwalker sculpts look cool. Like that they're continuing the the trend AoS started with it's different sized starters, makes starting out fresh way less intimidating.

Pretty smart. Makes it easy to have a good number of biglys for cheap if you want a lot of infantry too

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What's the points cost of the two starter armies in the Dark Imperium box?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Doing some quick estimates on the Know No Fear box (using similar existing kits as a reference point):

£20 per character
£30 for Plague Marines
£25 per squad of Intersessors/Hellblasters
£18 for Poxwalkers
£35 for Interceptors
£20 for Blight Drone

=£183.

Thunder and Blood is £50 so if we assume this box is the same that's £153 saving over buying everything separately, plus playmat and rules etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

This bears out the rumours about Dark Imperium not being the "real" starter box - it looks like First Strike/Know No Fear are intended as what young kids will be directed towards, being cheaper and less overwhelming in terms of model count, or you can go all-in with Dark Imperium. Good strategy imo, it's a much better set-up.

Also I guess we found out what that single Primaris marine sprue is for.