Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Bueno Papi posted:

Biggest win for the health insurance industry is the removal of the cap on executive compensation tax deduction. If they can extract millions today, then they're ok with their industry imploding in 10 years.

Never underestimate a corporation's eagerness for short-term gains in exchange for long-term losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yup, expect lots of phantom "missed payments" from really expensive patients. Somehow automated monthly payments will end up getting "lost in the mail" followed by extremely prompt cancellation notices with no warning whatsoever.

Thread: https://twitter.com/AlderFish/status/878638783033430018

This already happens way more often than it should. Can't wait for that envelope to get pushed even further!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-12/america-s-health-care-crisis-is-a-gold-mine-for-crowdfunding

https://utexas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dnJhWGveWKLt433

this doctoral candidate is loving garbage, help me plz

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Like you want us to say the idea is poo poo, or to just finish the survey so there are enough data points?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Both, I guess. I'm not familiar with this thread, are y'all into the Profit Motive and crowdfunding for healthcare?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Is there any chance whatsoever that a Dem comes out in favor of this bill? I know that it's terrible and against everything they allegedly stand for. But I could see some jerk desperately trying to be on the "winning side".

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Is there any chance whatsoever that a Dem comes out in favor of this bill? I know that it's terrible and against everything they allegedly stand for. But I could see some jerk desperately trying to be on the "winning side".

In the Senate? None. House, who knows?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I mean the Democrats are pretty stupid, but I don't think any of them are that stupid.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I don't have time to go through it right now, can you tell me what they're doing?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

No. The bill's provisions are super toxic and dems don't have tribalism or a lie machine to protect them.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's a survey for a thesis that's trying to demonstrate a market for a crowdfunded campaign to start a business to serve as a middleman gathering information about how much it'll cost to pay for a procedure out of pocket from different doctors. Which is simultaneously a legitimately needed service in our nation and a sign of how horribly dysfunctional healthcare is in the US.

Scratch that. It's a survey for a thesis to see how different narratives effect people's desires to donate to crowdfunding campaigns. It just happens to use a business that will serve as a middleman etc. etc. etc.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 25, 2017

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
We should just get rid of Medicaid.

All of those "poors" should just go to church and ask the priest to give proceeds of one of the collections for their medical bills. The ones who are worthy of God's favor and the favor of the community get to live. The ones who are not worthy of Jesus, are sinners, and poorly liked/unknown in the community are given next to nothing clearly deserve to die.

"Person making $20k/year puts $200 in the collection basket because he/she generally feels bad about people suffering including strangers"
($150 of the $200 donated goes to church business such as facility 'maintenance', 'upkeep', (all done via contracts with local business owners of course), and father Mike's upcoming first class vacation to the Vatican to suck the Pontif's ring. Person donating is NOT made aware of this.

"Local construction company owner getting steady work contracts from the church making $250k/year just passes the basket along cause why should I have to give up any of my hard earned money to help one of 'those' people that doesn't come to Church dressed up all nice and only wears ragity rear end clothes. I mean come on this is God's house and if you're not rocking a $1000k dress with $500 shoes to impress Jesus then you clearly are the spawn of Satan and deserve what's coming"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't have time to go through it right now, can you tell me what they're doing?

I can! It's a very coy way of introducing both profit and crowdfunding into healthcare innovation. The video in the survey is a startup that puts cameras in veins. In no way do they ask about costs, cost overruns, accessibility, or perverse incentives. It's not a terribly leading survey, but it's literally the most leading I've had in a PhD program.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's for a PHD program? I thought it was for a business program so I set my standards accordingly.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

exactly

edit look, I've read my friends' dissertations pre-and-post-conference and they look nothing like this. this is some undergrad poo poo, plus being political as gently caress. this person not only does not deserve a PhD but does not understand the purpose of the degree itself and I fear for her future patients because of clear ideological conflicts of interest

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 25, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It looks like a different video per survey. When I went back to share the middleman video with someone in IRC I got a smartphone glucose monitor video instead. I suspect the author is using other people's videos for this. Which would be fair use. But that makes this feel even more like a project for a marketing or business degree than for a medical degree.

Edit: I know I've been pretty harsh, but it's like you're trying to solve the wrong problems (how to market health care approaches to individuals) with the wrong mindset (small-scale donors and investors can cover the costs) using the wrong methodology (online survey research that's targeting other people that go to your college and whatever message boards you posted on).

Edit 2: Like, I'm sure you've worked hard and you've read the relevant journals and books and that you spent the equivalent of days going thru different videos, developing ways to categorize and classify them. A quick outline of it would probably look good on a CV. But at best the findings will get ignored because it can't be reliably applied to the broader population. And at worst the findings will be used by scam-artists looking to see what approaches work best.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 25, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avalanche posted:

We should just get rid of Medicaid.

All of those "poors" should just go to church and ask the priest to give proceeds of one of the collections for their medical bills. The ones who are worthy of God's favor and the favor of the community get to live. The ones who are not worthy of Jesus, are sinners, and poorly liked/unknown in the community are given next to nothing clearly deserve to die.

"Person making $20k/year puts $200 in the collection basket because he/she generally feels bad about people suffering including strangers"
($150 of the $200 donated goes to church business such as facility 'maintenance', 'upkeep', (all done via contracts with local business owners of course), and father Mike's upcoming first class vacation to the Vatican to suck the Pontif's ring. Person donating is NOT made aware of this.

"Local construction company owner getting steady work contracts from the church making $250k/year just passes the basket along cause why should I have to give up any of my hard earned money to help one of 'those' people that doesn't come to Church dressed up all nice and only wears ragity rear end clothes. I mean come on this is God's house and if you're not rocking a $1000k dress with $500 shoes to impress Jesus then you clearly are the spawn of Satan and deserve what's coming"

Hey guess what

https://mychristiancare.org/medi-share/

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

What the gently caress?

From what I can sort of understand from that piece of poo poo website is that people pay a monthly fee for the "chance" of having their medical bills covered assuming the entire thing doesn't go tits up from insolvency after 1 massive claim. So it's basically a loophole to get past the individual mandate.

Pulled this from a CNBC article about it from 2013:

quote:

Here's how it works: To join Medi-Share, members must pledge their Christian faith and promise not to drink, take drugs or have sex outside of a traditional marriage. A reference from a minister may also be requested. Certain pre-existing conditions render applicants ineligible, while chronic issues such as obesity sometimes lead to acceptance into the program contingent on undergoing wellness counseling.

Got raped, contracted HIV and/or Hep C? Sorry, claim denied god doesn't like sluts and the gays.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My dad used that. He filed one claim and they didn't pay. People are suckers.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 25, 2017

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I just can't believe this poo poo. None of it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I can. I'm honestly surprised that no Mega Church somewhere has come up with some fraudulent "not-insurance" that they strong arm their parishioners into signing up and "donating" toward yet. Or maybe they have and we don't really know about it?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

found my dad's organization

https://samaritanministries.org/

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Am I reading this right?

$10,000 $126.00 $104.00

From their share calculater page if I pay $10000 a year, I will get only $104-$126 a month to pay for bills.
$10k to only get $1248 back?

Edit: VVVV Ahhhh thanks, you Americans and your American Americanness

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 25, 2017

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

happyhippy posted:

Am I reading this right?

$10,000 $126.00 $104.00

From their share calculater page if I pay $10000 a year, I will get only $104-$126 a month to pay for bills.
$10k to only get $1248 back?

I think the $10,000 is basically a deductible, and the $126 and $104 are potential monthly premiums.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

republicans were furious that Trump called the House bill mean, but at least it was behind closed doors so there wasn't video

fortunately trump can be relied on to not repeat that just because he wants, say, to take credit for obama's statements

quote:

President Donald Trump confirmed in an interview aired Sunday that he called House Republicans’ bill to repeal and replace Obamacare “mean” in a private meeting, and claimed former President Barack Obama copied his one-word phrasing.

“He actually used my term, mean. That was my term. Because I want to see, and I speak from the heart, that’s what I want to see. I want to see a bill with heart,” Trump said in an interview on “Fox and Friends” with Pete Hegseth.

oh, i guess he's sundowning again

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

republicans were furious that Trump called the House bill mean, but at least it was behind closed doors so there wasn't video

fortunately trump can be relied on to not repeat that just because he wants, say, to take credit for obama's statements

oh, i guess he's sundowning again

Wasn't Obama intentionally copying his phrasing? Like, it was an obvious reference to what Trump said, not an attempt at plagiarism. God drat he is loving dumb and petty. It is really difficult to even express how unbelievably dumb and petty that is :psyduck:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

Wasn't Obama intentionally copying his phrasing? Like, it was an obvious reference to what Trump said, not an attempt at plagiarism. God drat he is loving dumb and petty. It is really difficult to even express how unbelievably dumb and petty that is :psyduck:

Yeah, it was a really obvious effort to make this a "bipartisan agreement this bill is mean" and Trump is most interested in taking credit for the phrase. I have some hope his complete untrustworthiness on the subject is giving some of the moderates pause and making them worry that they're going to find Trump campaigning against it in 2018 and 2020 and throwing them under the bus if they vote for it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, it was a really obvious effort to make this a "bipartisan agreement this bill is mean" and Trump is most interested in taking credit for the phrase. I have some hope his complete untrustworthiness on the subject is giving some of the moderates pause and making them worry that they're going to find Trump campaigning against it in 2018 and 2020 and throwing them under the bus if they vote for it.

Do ya think..... Do ya think he's intentionally doing all this so he can veto it and in 2020 he'd be like "look, I saw this deal, was a bad deal, I said no you come back with bigly deal for American people" as a way to put a feather in his cap for reelection. So he gets to have a higher chance of election and flips off Paul Ryan.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KildarX posted:

Do ya think..... Do ya think he's intentionally doing all this so he can veto it and in 2020 he'd be like "look, I saw this deal, was a bad deal, I said no you come back with bigly deal for American people" as a way to put a feather in his cap for reelection. So he gets to have a higher chance of election and flips off Paul Ryan.

I don't think Trump plans ahead until tommorow, let alone 2020.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

KildarX posted:

People have been thinking Trump might do an actual sensible thing since forever and he's proven them wrong time and time again. It's pretty clear by now he takes his orders from the GOP leadership who have gotten pretty good at saying the right things to make him back whatever they might want, assuming he doesn't want the same things anyway.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Summit posted:

People have been thinking Trump might do an actual sensible thing since forever and he's proven them wrong time and time again. It's pretty clear by now he takes his orders from the GOP leadership who have gotten pretty good at saying the right things to make him back whatever they might want, assuming he doesn't want the same things anyway.

I think, more accurately, he doesn't actually care about legislation (and barely cares about running the nation) and just wants to be known as the President that did things. You know, like the Pakelds from Star Trek.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/879102878065012736

I'd figured Paul was just posturing, but if this is true, that makes the road to 50 a whole lot tougher.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Is California's single-payer reform covered in this thread? Because what-the-christ is going on there.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

Is California's single-payer reform covered in this thread? Because what-the-christ is going on there.

Industry friendly assemblyman killed it. For the best honestly.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Bueno Papi posted:

Industry friendly assemblyman killed it. For the best honestly.

Doesn't help that the CADNP also elected a Pharma lobbyist as it's chair.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I don't think Trump plans ahead until tommorow, let alone 2020.

Trump doesn't even plan ahead to the end of the sentence.

Edit: Of course, the way he rambles, Trump wouldn't know the end of a sentence if it bit him in the colon.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PerniciousKnid posted:

Trump doesn't even plan ahead to the end of the sentence.

30 years to life is a lot of planning

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

KildarX posted:

Absolutely not. He would have explained his entire secret plan on twitter like 3 weeks ago.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/879091132994662402

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/879364669907099648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I'm guessing this is why they're rushing to pass a terrible bill. The insurance companies have to start pricing future plans and can't wait any longer for the Senate Republicans to get their act together.