Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Chad
Apr 9, 2010

Podcast recording elaborating on two related esoteric, surreal comic selections and providing new details on arkham asylum: a serious house on serious earth and cooker comics volume 2, the indie comic inspired and formatted heavily over it.
https://soundcloud.com/fatmanonbatman/26-grant-morrison-bat-bard
https://soundcloud.com/tswimm-pronounced-like-to-swim/cooker-comics-and-childs-rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Finished reading The Complete Phonogram, and I would have liked to see more of it. Starting with Rue Britannia is rouuugh, since there are really no likeable characters and it starts with a not very gradual introduction to this world, its characters and its rules. I'm still not 100% sure what the hell happened, honestly. But Singles Night was really, really good, and I wish I could have seen all those characters and their relationships blossom into something great. This sentiment is echoed from the B-Sides. The Killers gag was pretty hilarious, even if it is a joke that will get lost in the obscurities of time. Immaterial Girl seems like it would have worked better if Emily Aster got more characterization to make the conclusion of her arc more meaningful.

It sort of reminded me of Carey's Crossing Midnight in that there was this fun setting to do stuff in, but not enough sales to write enough stuff to do in the setting. Alas, such is comics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Be careful of reading Cinema Purgatorio this week! Big splash pages of dicks and tits! You might want to read it at home.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Be careful of reading Cinema Purgatorio this week! Big splash pages of dicks and tits! You might want to read it at home.

Reminds me of when I told my wife to read Saga but she decided to do so on the metro.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

was it the dragon blowjob issue or the baby issue?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shirtless Bear Fighter is dumb as hell and I loved it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Did anybody else try out Kill the Minotaur? I only got it because the comic shop I go to had one of the co-writers doing a signing, and I was really impressed with the first issue. Definitely looking forward to more.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's got a real anachronistic sense of humor and Lukas Ketner is drawing the poo poo out of it. Glad I gave it a shot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

Shirtless Bear Fighter is dumb as hell and I loved it.

I bought it based on the panels in the funny thread. It's the single stupidest comic I've read in a long time. Everyone should buy it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

I bought it based on the panels in the funny thread. It's the single stupidest comic I've read in a long time. Everyone should buy it.

Haha I'm glad you liked it. It's so dumb and great.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Comixology sent me a promo code (I'm sure many of you got one as well), and I'm trying to figure out what $30 worth of indie comics to fill my cart with. I'm trying to go for trades on the cheaper end of the spectrum to try to get as much bang for my buck as possible and sample a good spread of series. So far in my cart I have Volume 1s of Saga, Rat Queens, Pretty Deadly, and Black Science.

Any recommendations? I've mostly read Marvel in the past, my favorites have included Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Grant Morrison's New X-Men, Rick Remender's Uncanny X-force, Warren Ellis' run of Moon Knight, just to name a few that stand out in my memory, but I don't mind trying anything completely different either. I already have Sex Criminals volume 1 sitting on the shelf waiting to be read, so no need to rec that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Scyther posted:

Comixology sent me a promo code (I'm sure many of you got one as well), and I'm trying to figure out what $30 worth of indie comics to fill my cart with. I'm trying to go for trades on the cheaper end of the spectrum to try to get as much bang for my buck as possible and sample a good spread of series. So far in my cart I have Volume 1s of Saga, Rat Queens, Pretty Deadly, and Black Science.

Any recommendations? I've mostly read Marvel in the past, my favorites have included Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Grant Morrison's New X-Men, Rick Remender's Uncanny X-force, Warren Ellis' run of Moon Knight, just to name a few that stand out in my memory, but I don't mind trying anything completely different either. I already have Sex Criminals volume 1 sitting on the shelf waiting to be read, so no need to rec that.

Depending what you like about Uncanny XForce and Moon Knight, you might like the majority of Brubaker's catalog, but particularly Fatale. But honest Fade Out, Velvet, Criminal, whatever. It's all fantastic.

Black Hammer and Invincible are great if you want to do indie superheroes.

Chew has some of the weird of Squirrel Girl but is unquestionably a darker story.

There's a ton of stuff out there in the indie world, for good recommendations you might need to be a bit more specific about what you are looking for.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Depending what you like about Uncanny XForce and Moon Knight, you might like the majority of Brubaker's catalog, but particularly Fatale. But honest Fade Out, Velvet, Criminal, whatever. It's all fantastic.

Black Hammer and Invincible are great if you want to do indie superheroes.

Chew has some of the weird of Squirrel Girl but is unquestionably a darker story.

There's a ton of stuff out there in the indie world, for good recommendations you might need to be a bit more specific about what you are looking for.

I'll take a look at those titles, thanks. I know Brubaker is a really solid writer, but I wasn't really aware of his indie work.

I guess in general I'm really just trying to branch out more from all the superhero stuff. I like stuff that's adventurous and/or humorous. I'm interested in sci-fi (especially crazy stuff), wild west (particularly with supernatural elements), and fantasy (especially humorous), so you can probably guess why I picked out those titles already in my cart (aside from them seeming generally well liked). When I was a kid I was big into the Disney comics that had Scrooge McDuck usually taking his nephews on globetrotting treasure hunts, so if there's anything good along those lines, that might be cool.

I'm looking at The Army of Dr. Moreau and The Mercenary Sea, so any goon opinions on those (or anything with a similar premise) would be appreciated.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Atomic Robo, Real Science Adventures are some recent ones that evoke that funny adventure style of the duck books.

Hellboy is a pretty good adventure book if you haven't read it.

Skullkickers and Conan (the Dark Horse stuff that Busiek worked on in particular is great) will hit your fantasy and adventure buckets too. Usagi Yojimbo isn't funny but it's also fantastic adventure comics.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
headlopper, headlopper, headlopper!!!!1

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Atomic Robo, Real Science Adventures are some recent ones that evoke that funny adventure style of the duck books.

Hellboy is a pretty good adventure book if you haven't read it.

Skullkickers and Conan (the Dark Horse stuff that Busiek worked on in particular is great) will hit your fantasy and adventure buckets too. Usagi Yojimbo isn't funny but it's also fantastic adventure comics.

emdash posted:

headlopper, headlopper, headlopper!!!!1

These all look up my alley, thanks!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Scyther posted:

, wild west (particularly with supernatural elements)

Pretty Deadly is probably the best of this type, but East of West has a great take on fantasy + Wild West + Sci fi as well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Scyther posted:

If you like Warren Ellis' Moon Knight you might enjoy The Goon from Dark Horse.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ryan North's run on Jughead is very similar to his Squirrel Girl stuff, and Erica Henderson did the pencils for Chip Zdarsky's earlier issues. And Giant Days feels very tonally similar to Squirrel Girl, with the university setting and disparate group of slightly cartoonish in personality as well as imagery misfits.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gaz-L posted:

Ryan North's run on Jughead is very similar to his Squirrel Girl stuff, and Erica Henderson did the pencils for Chip Zdarsky's earlier issues. And Giant Days feels very tonally similar to Squirrel Girl, with the university setting and disparate group of slightly cartoonish in personality as well as imagery misfits.

Yeah I totally recommend Giant Days if you're doing the offer, it's good college life comics.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Scyther posted:

I'll take a look at those titles, thanks. I know Brubaker is a really solid writer, but I wasn't really aware of his indie work.

I guess in general I'm really just trying to branch out more from all the superhero stuff. I like stuff that's adventurous and/or humorous. I'm interested in sci-fi (especially crazy stuff), wild west (particularly with supernatural elements), and fantasy (especially humorous), so you can probably guess why I picked out those titles already in my cart (aside from them seeming generally well liked). When I was a kid I was big into the Disney comics that had Scrooge McDuck usually taking his nephews on globetrotting treasure hunts, so if there's anything good along those lines, that might be cool.

I'm looking at The Army of Dr. Moreau and The Mercenary Sea, so any goon opinions on those (or anything with a similar premise) would be appreciated.

I really liked mercenary sea, especially the art.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Copperhead is a fun sci-fi space western.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Prophet is a ridiculous star-spanning space adventure.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If it's on Comixology, the IDW Ghostbusters series is pretty fun.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Thanks for all the suggestions, goons. If anyone's curious, my final order ended up consisting of Saga, Rat Queens, Pretty Deadly, Giant Days, Copperhead, and Atomic Robo, but I'm making a note of a lot of the other suggestions.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Scyther posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, goons. If anyone's curious, my final order ended up consisting of Saga, Rat Queens, Pretty Deadly, Giant Days, Copperhead, and Atomic Robo, but I'm making a note of a lot of the other suggestions.

I saw you liked Remender's Uncanny X-Force. I like all of Remender's Image books, but in particular Low because I adore the art, and the plot is so dark. And Deadly Class, because it's probably his best stuff overall, so many perfectly scripted sequences and perfectly timed moments. Black Science is great, too, and is maybe 2 arcs from completion? Seven to Eternity is still just getting started, but the art is very nice (Opena did a lot of the X-Force run) and the world has potential but I feel like it's still the weakest.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finished reading Green Valley. I loved it. Knights in a time travelling story where they fight dinosaurs. Can't beat that. The art is great too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Double post but I read a stack of my backlog today. Quick thoughts on them:

Briggs Land - I loved this. I know this is being written to pitch a TV project but I don't care. The story feels like it's going somewhere. splitting the first volume into two 3 issue series was a good way to start getting a bit deeper into the characters while also setting up the bigger plot. It's early days though. The true test of this book won't be until he finishes the run.

Mycroft Holmes and the Apocalypse Handbook (or something). I bought this because Kareem Abdul Jabar wrote it. It's a good Sherlock story focused on the brother who is essentially Sherlock with a libido. Not high literature but a fun little adventure story.

Moonshine - I read this before Briggs Land and part of the reason I called out Briggs Land for going somewhere is because this goes nowhere. The place feels interesting but I just did not care about the characters at all. Stuff happened and it was all kind of meaningless. The art is evocative but often poorly executed.

Mayday - I bounced off this in issue 2 when there was a DP scene kind of out of nowhere but I enjoyed this one. By the end it was just a solid spy adventure book and I'm looking forward to the next Felix issues. Just fun dumb Bourne style adventures.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Finished reading Green Valley. I loved it. Knights in a time travelling story where they fight dinosaurs. Can't beat that. The art is great too.

If you liked that try Lake of Fire

Knights vs Aliens

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you liked that try Lake of Fire

Knights vs Aliens

Setting it during the albagensian crusade is what got my attention. It's such a hipster move to pick something relatively obscure that history nerds would appreciate.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
New Über is out and it's so loving cathartic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comixology is a week behind on it for some reason. Even Gillen seemed surprised that it came out yesterday.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I bought the first volume of Pretty Deadly on a whim today. Kinda excited to read that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Pretty Deadly vol 1 left me pretty confused, but vol 2 is deviously good.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Did comixology pull back uber invasion 7? My sub didn't grab it and now it shows July 12

E: nvm I misread the posts above

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BigglesSWE posted:

New Über is out and it's so loving cathartic.

i thought it was delayed until the 25th or something. that's what the release list linked to off of the avatar site says anyway.

also jupiter's legacy wasn't too bad. way too delayed, but the two jupiter's series over all have been the best millar stuff i've read for a good decade or more. take that for what you will, depending on your affinity for millar (and i'm no big fan, though his best stuff is enjoyable enough that i usually will check out one or two issues of whatever he puts out). it was low by millar standards on gratuity, and had some heart-warming core themes about the importance of family and the basic kind of heroism presented in classic comics. though my favourite moment was neither: in jupiter's circle, when j edgar hoover releases evidence of blue bolt being gay to the other heroes, and everyone assumes the '50s conservative Utopian and the rest of the crew are going to flip their lids. blue bolt slinks into a meeting with the rest, shame-faced, waiting for the inevitable, and then the utopian just stares at him and says something like 'do we have something to discuss? i didn't think so. let's get down to work.'

it also made me laugh a bit in the last issue when hutch's solution to walter was to say to his teleport stick 'real walter's head'. it's in character walter wouldn't have thought to be actively scanning hutch, though he could have known easily or insta-gibbed hutch if he wanted to.

starlight wasn't too bad, either. feels like millar might be mellowing on the edgelord poo poo, though he does churn out some pretty forgettable books like 1985 and that one about the speedster drugs.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 7, 2017

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Is there any view of when Uber: Invasion will be released as TPB? Or are we looking at a long, long time?

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Neurosis posted:

also jupiter's legacy wasn't too bad. way too delayed, but the two jupiter's series over all have been the best millar stuff i've read for a good decade or more.

Sweet. I read the first half, and preordered the second trade, I'm glad to hear it was good. Also, when you quote someone you lose spoiler tags :saddowns:, but I was able to delete it before I spoiled meself

edit: Is Circle good?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Shovelmint posted:

Sweet. I read the first half, and preordered the second trade, I'm glad to hear it was good. Also, when you quote someone you lose spoiler tags :saddowns:, but I was able to delete it before I spoiled meself

edit: Is Circle good?

yeah it's alright. has some interesting historical beats. i mean none of it gets as in depth on the world as characters as might be liked, but it's only a 15 issue series (including the forthcoming jupiter's requiem from 2019), and it covers a lot of time, and for those constraints i think it does an okay job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/882947359096832001

He seemed a bit confused by it, like I said.