Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Boo. Let Dirk get paid.

Realistically who the hell are we gonna sign that would dramatically shift the team's fortunes short or long-term? We already basically have a 12-man roster. I guess we could use a guard if Harris and/or Wes get traded but really, just pay the $25 million apology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Speaking of 3P shooting, do we think Embiid can maintain > .350 with 4-5 attempts/game if he plays ~ 60 games ?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://theundefeated.com/features/big3-league-abdul-rauf-kapernick/

quote:

Abdul-Rauf played nine years in the NBA, the last in 2001, and is one of the greatest free-throw shooters in league history. The former Louisiana State University star is best known for refusing to stand for the national anthem during the 1995-96 NBA season and calling the American flag a symbol of oppression.

​When Abdul-Rauf takes the court with the Three-Headed Monsters in the BIG3 League on Sunday, his controversial story will certainly come back to life.

​“It’s nothing that I regret,” Abdul-Rauf said of his stance against the flag and anthem. “I’m still doing the same things. I’m still speaking out against what I see as injustice, whether it’s on college campuses or conventions. That hasn’t changed and I don’t plan on that changing. So, I still feel the same way."
“I don’t feel like much has changed, if anything at all. Black folks are still being victimized disproportionately in the penal institution. It seems they are definitely disproportionately being shot and killed by policemen. Just overall the position that we are confronted with, and also being a Muslim, look at what Muslims are going through in this nation. I don’t think really anything has changed, by and large.”

Abdul-Rauf talked to The Undefeated about NFL free agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick, playing at his age, the challenge of the four-point shot, and more.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dutchy posted:

Realistically who the hell are we gonna sign that would dramatically shift the team's fortunes short or long-term? We already basically have a 12-man roster. I guess we could use a guard if Harris and/or Wes get traded but really, just pay the $25 million apology.

Does it make it easier to sign Noel to a deal? I don't know their cap situation

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

aBagorn posted:

Speaking of 3P shooting, do we think Embiid can maintain > .350 with 4-5 attempts/game if he plays ~ 60 games ?

He's a slightly above average free throw shooter, seems plausible he's a slightly above average 3P shooter too

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/andyblarsen/status/878978567714988032

MV, Teodosic might be coming to save your team

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Another game for Milos!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/879041619336454144

Rip

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

aBagorn posted:

I think his shots per 100 possessions dips as his offensive role gets defined closer to the basket, especially if Simmons is playing the 4 next to him and spend a lot of time with the ball in his hands on the perimeter. I don't see why his percentage would drop a lot unless his first season was flukey. He might end up fighting fatigue a bit more, but he seems like he has a decent-enough 3pt shot in his arsenal.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Does it make it easier to sign Noel to a deal? I don't know their cap situation

Honestly I'm a cap dumbass so I'm not actually sure. The impression I've gotten is that they could accept Dirk's option and sign Noel to his inevitable max and that declining Dirk's option is more about being able to do other poo poo, but that could be totally wrong.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

who could have predicted this

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS
As someone who thinks the Mavs usually overpay, do you think Nerlens Noel gets the max? His production hasn't even reached 10 & 10 (even in rebounds has he yet to average 10), has had injury issues and it seems like teams are starting to become skittish on signing players to max contracts after least off season. Just judging by counting stats, he doesn't seem like a cornerstone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's a big difference between the Paul George max and the rookie max.

He's likely to get the rookie max or close to it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dutchy posted:

Honestly I'm a cap dumbass so I'm not actually sure. The impression I've gotten is that they could accept Dirk's option and sign Noel to his inevitable max and that declining Dirk's option is more about being able to do other poo poo, but that could be totally wrong.

It's weird to me because I assumed they would let Dirk keep his deal and use that money to resign Curry next year. They are going to need to get rid of a player or two (Powell/Matthews) to keep him next offseason. Not having Curry's bird rights will make that a pain.

Ratzinc posted:

As someone who thinks the Mavs usually overpay, do you think Nerlens Noel gets the max? His production hasn't even reached 10 & 10 (even in rebounds has he yet to average 10), has had injury issues and it seems like teams are starting to become skittish on signing players to max contracts after least off season. Just judging by counting stats, he doesn't seem like a cornerstone.

Before the offseason I had read (in the hoopshype rumors section) multiple teams planned on offering Noel max so I assume the Mavs will have to give him a max deal.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Tae posted:

There's a big difference between the Paul George max and the rookie max.

He's likely to get the rookie max or close to it.

Right, that's what I meant. Some enterprising GM will offer as much as he can and the Mavs will match. For better or worse, this team's future hinges on Harrison Barnes, Nerlens Noel, and Dennis Smith Jr.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/BSO/status/879046291594104832

Mean KD owns

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Haters gonna hate.

KD is still a shook rear end bitch

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

pubic works project posted:

Haters gonna hate.

KD is still a shook rear end bitch

Yeah. Someone should do something about all these haters.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Well, that's a totally different argument. Here's a HUGE list of guys who scored about as much as Rubio (15-19 points per 100 possessions, Rubio scored 17.2 last season), about as efficiently (TS .500-.550, Rubio scored at a .539 rate), in the last 10 seasons. Lots of good players in that list. Rondo's Championship year, Butler's 3rd year, Iggy's All-Star year in Philly, PatBev is on there a couple times, Livingston is on there. And Ricky's latest effort is near the top in total WS.
http://www.basketball-reference.com...1.0&order_by=ws

So there is a fatal flaw in your argument here, Ricky is very good at getting to the Free Throw line and can convert them when he's there. He also has a pretty solid mid-range game. Between the two of those, he can score enough to compare to other players. He is not elite or whatever, but's he's not paid as an elite player either. You're also going to have 3 guys on the team who really should have usages north of 25% next year, and if you slide another high usage scoring PG in there you'll start seeing diminishing returns (Bosh/Love effect, which I think you'll already start seeing). Rubio's shooting will hurt a little, and his finishing at the rim will also hurt, but an affordable contract on a guy who will make it easy to get the ball to all these weapons where it's easy to score + his defense will easily outweigh what he takes off the table.

They would be better off with a better PG, but they probably can't afford one. If they can swing a trade, great, but salary dumping Rubio would be a dumb move and the team can be really good with Rubio. The offense will likely only improve from being a top-10 and few PGs will improve the defense like Rubio does (and that effect is muted, since PG defense is the least impactful).

I can hear an argument for Dieng, but they play as opposite as you can. I also think Dieng is underrated.

That's a bit more narrow, but I think can buy it. His contract is reasonable enough for what he produces. edit: and overall, yeah I'll take "Rondo on the Celtics" as as a model for ball-dominant PG who can't score and helps the team anyways.

I'm hesitant on that list of dudes right there because (aside from Rondo) it's mostly DPOY candidates, larger guys, two-way players, serious glue guys, and as you said yourself PG defense is somewhat negligible.

I guess it'd be easier to accept "Ricky Rubio is really good at basketball" if his best-ever team was better than 40-42. I think T-Wolves fans narrowly edge out Knicks fans in terms of relentless optimism (which I personally enjoy). BUT, with KAT as your KG and Butler as the Truth maybe Rubio can finally look like Celtics Rondo?

I agree that Dieng has a lot more to show. I like that kid plenty.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 25, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

aBagorn posted:

... do we think Embiid can ... play ... ~ 60 games ?

In his entire career, probably. Over a single season, it remains to be seen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/879059899635912704

Rip v2

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
delayed broadcast is killin' me I should be at Barclay's right now but I'm out of the city ahhhh

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's going to be a last man standing contest as these old bodies pretend to be able to handle that type of action again

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm picturing the Sweetney Orb rolling safely to victory, but please no spoilers

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

There is a big 3 thread do not post spoilers to delayed sports viewing please

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
3 on 3 half court basketball with a check after every made basket, is so loving slow, there's a weird 1994 rythym, I've been watching some old matches on youtube and if someone is tearing their achilles playing three on three, they're totally out of shape, totally cooked

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The end of this is retroactively funnier than when it was written due to the DeAngelo trade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZ3DhCLpBc

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Metapod posted:

Lmao gently caress off with that spoilers to real life poo poo like people getting injured. Also didn't know there was a thread but sounds like I'd get lectured about posting poo poo there too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Metapod posted:

Spoiler: Half the league is going to blow out their ACL or achilles

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Timberwolves/status/879073693791526916

:smith:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Why the smith? He's in a better place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZgU0cT_TfI

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

Why the smith? He's in a better place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZgU0cT_TfI

If I can't be happy no one can be.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

KD is more likable now that he's embraced the wicked heel persona, just like I predicted. gently caress KD

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Stagger_Lee posted:

Yeah. Someone should do something about all these haters.

Yeah like play more then 31 games in two years

or even play a NBA game

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

Lmao gently caress off with that spoilers to real life poo poo like people getting injured. Also didn't know there was a thread but sounds like I'd get lectured about posting poo poo there too.

I did :( Injury reports are getting tweeted out by plenty of known sports writers, putting this stuff on tape delay is loving stupid.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Rabid Snake posted:

Yeah like play more then 31 games in two years

or even play a NBA game

Can't believe you could feel the need to hate on a delightful, charming, handsome, and talented man like Joel. I'll pray for you, I hope that you can find inner happiness, my friend.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Jota posted:

Can't believe you could feel the need to hate on a delightful, charming, handsome, and talented man like Joel. I'll pray for you, I hope that you can find inner happiness, my friend.

Joel is a good looking dude but can he stay on the court tho

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Joel Embiid is the best defensive anchor in the NBA already, statistics confirm. He'll be able to cover up the deficiencies of his young teammates and the Sixers will make the playoffs. Kevin Durant is a hater.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Fast Luck posted:

Joel Embiid is the best defensive anchor in the NBA already, statistics confirm. He'll be able to cover up the deficiencies of his young teammates and the Sixers will make the playoffs. Kevin Durant is a hater.

Really doubt the Sixers are going to make the playoffs this year but it'd be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Really doubt the Sixers are going to make the playoffs this year but it'd be cool

This is the magical time of the year when nobody's playoff hopes are dead yet. until the end of the free agency

• Locked thread