Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I like occultist a lot so I've been trying to figure out synergies there for my second mastery. I've been running with heavy investment in Dreeg's Evil Eye so far but I don't see many classes that sync well with poison, at least if my intent was to remain a ranged caster. The other alternative is pyro which I see a bit more potential with. Couple questions with that, though - should I focus down on either fire or chaos, or do they play nice together? Second, if I wanted the hellhound for its fire and chaos buff, would you recommend investing much into it besides the bare minimum or does it need lots of TLC to stay alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
If you just want to do a pure caster, you could do worse than Arcanist.

Here's an example of things you could get to pair with Dreeg's:

http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-n2WO3Q

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I play a lot of roguelikes, so I'm used to losing hours of progress to poor planning, inattention and bad luck. It adds a little something to the proceedings for me. Not entirely sure why.

DriveC
Oct 27, 2008

Going to Gamestop at midnight for Halo: ODST. Didn't pre order. The guy on the phone told me I *might* get a copy. Whatever dude.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I play a lot of roguelikes, so I'm used to losing hours of progress to poor planning, inattention and bad luck. It adds a little something to the proceedings for me. Not entirely sure why.

This is pretty much where I'm at. It's good and highly recommended.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I mean, are there any roguelikes that take 20+ hours to beat though?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Deified Data posted:

I like occultist a lot so I've been trying to figure out synergies there for my second mastery. I've been running with heavy investment in Dreeg's Evil Eye so far but I don't see many classes that sync well with poison, at least if my intent was to remain a ranged caster. The other alternative is pyro which I see a bit more potential with. Couple questions with that, though - should I focus down on either fire or chaos, or do they play nice together? Second, if I wanted the hellhound for its fire and chaos buff, would you recommend investing much into it besides the bare minimum or does it need lots of TLC to stay alive?
Poison is insanely powerful, and nightblade gives a buff to poison/acid and a resist reduction aura, plus fun poo poo like blade barrier (keeps you alive while everything around you dies), shadow strike (amazing just for the movement speed), and blade spirit (huge for triggering devotions attached to it). I haven't checked it out but I know there's a DEE Witch Hunter on the official forums that is apparently one of the strongest builds in the game.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

watho posted:

I mean, are there any roguelikes that take 20+ hours to beat though?

I don't know how long a typical TOME 4 completion run is, but it's longish. Some roguelikes have 99 floors to clear and poo poo like that, or an overworld with multiple small dungeons plus a fuckoff huge 100 floor delve etc.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I play Hardcore Veteran because at almost 900 hours in-game, the threat of final death is the only thing that excites me, and quite frankly keeps me playing. At this point I judge the effectiveness of my characters by whether or not the counter on my health potions dips below 99+. I currently have a rotation of three 60+ characters, a couple in their 30s, and two brand new ones that I use to try weird or unconventional builds that usually die before they have a chance to take off. Sometimes those builds work out, sometimes they don't. Either way despite the hours invested, I just don't get sick of the game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Stokes posted:

I play Hardcore Veteran because at almost 900 hours in-game, the threat of final death is the only thing that excites me, and quite frankly keeps me playing. At this point I judge the effectiveness of my characters by whether or not the counter on my health potions dips below 99+. I currently have a rotation of three 60+ characters, a couple in their 30s, and two brand new ones that I use to try weird or unconventional builds that usually die before they have a chance to take off. Sometimes those builds work out, sometimes they don't. Either way despite the hours invested, I just don't get sick of the game.

How do you deal with hikes in difficulty though? I have two character around level 25-30 and even my primal strike conjurer died a few times on veteran once I repaired the bridge and went northwest. Those rear end in a top hat dragon things or whatever it was past all the bandits are just too hard. Maybe I put too many points into the masteries before maxing out skills.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

How do you deal with hikes in difficulty though?

I don't know what you mean by rear end in a top hat dragon things, but I deal with any perceived hikes in difficulty by knowing when they'll come. I know there's a spot by the first cave west of town with the Devotion shrine where 5 rock throwers spawn and will insta-kill you with their synchronized boulder throws. It happens so much I took a pic and have labeled them the Hardcore Gatekeepers.

There's another hike in difficulty at the boss of the Arkovian Underground City. If you don't have fire and/or vitality resistance his DOT will sap your life in seconds. I'm always extremely careful around Reflect champions and never attack them when their aura is active. I straight up never fight Anasteria because of her Devestation spell. etc., etc.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Stokes posted:

I don't know what you mean by rear end in a top hat dragon things, but I deal with any perceived hikes in difficulty by knowing when they'll come. I know there's a spot by the first cave west of town with the Devotion shrine where 5 rock throwers spawn and will insta-kill you with their synchronized boulder throws. It happens so much I took a pic and have labeled them the Hardcore Gatekeepers.

There's another hike in difficulty at the boss of the Arkovian Underground City. If you don't have fire and/or vitality resistance his DOT will sap your life in seconds. I'm always extremely careful around Reflect champions and never attack them when their aura is active. I straight up never fight Anasteria because of her Devestation spell. etc., etc.

Been a few weeks since I played but I think it was the Wind Raptors, their bosses hosed me up good every time.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Stokes posted:

Those encounters are known as "gear checks," or "is your character pimped out enough to ride this zone," in plain English.

In softcore, exploding to them means you need to work on your resists/hp/dps/whatever to have a smoother ride.

In hardcore, it means get gud.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Pvt.Scott posted:

Those encounters are known as "gear checks," or "is your character pimped out enough to ride this zone," in plain English.

In softcore, exploding to them means you need to work on your resists/hp/dps/whatever to have a smoother ride.

In hardcore, it means get gud.

Some are gear checks yes, but I consider ones like in the pic apm checks aka git gud checks.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Stokes posted:

Some are gear checks yes, but I consider ones like in the pic apm checks aka git gud checks.

Yeah, those are more "learn not to stand in the way of a train," moments. Not necessarily fair.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Just started this solo the other week with 0 knowledge.

I've read the OP, but have a couple of basic questions.

- I'm level 17 or so and have just been pumping my points into leveling Arcanist to unlock new skills.

I've mostly been using the channeled ray skill and passives because I wasn't sure what to invest in and I figured levels and passives were safe.

Any mistakes there or skills I should pick up? Is the beam a viable build? It burns through mana, but seems to be working fine.

- I unlocked my second class, but haven't picked one yet. Thinking that Demo or Shaman complements Arcanist best.

- For my stats, I've been putting it 80/20 into spirit and physique. Do I need any significant amount of cunning as an Arcanist?

- Weapon damage and things like +bleeding and other modifiers have 0 benefit for spells, correct?

- I have a bunch of components that I am just holding onto. Is it safe to use them, should I continue to hoard them, or none of the above?

- Is there any way to highlight interactable objects or make it clearer when things can be activated?

- Is there a way to tell on the map which areas have shrines or other important things that you might have missed?

- Do mobs only reset once you finish the game or is there some way to reset them and farm?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just started this solo the other week with 0 knowledge.

I've read the OP, but have a couple of basic questions.

- I'm level 17 or so and have just been pumping my points into leveling Arcanist to unlock new skills.

I've mostly been using the channeled ray skill and passives because I wasn't sure what to invest in and I figured levels and passives were safe.

Any mistakes there or skills I should pick up? Is the beam a viable build? It burns through mana, but seems to be working fine.
Aether Ray is a fun skill but you do need a shitload of energy regen to make it viable.

quote:

- I unlocked my second class, but haven't picked one yet. Thinking that Demo or Shaman complements Arcanist best.
Demo is great and there's a couple really good AAR Sorcerer builds on the official forums. Occultist is your other best bet, it's good some nice healing and you can get chaos/fire buffs which are doubly helpful if you take the transmuter.

quote:

- For my stats, I've been putting it 80/20 into spirit and physique. Do I need any significant amount of cunning as an Arcanist?
Cunning is useless, and honestly you don't need spirit either as an arcanist. You get plenty from mastery. Go 100% physique if you want to survive getting hit ever.

quote:

- Weapon damage and things like +bleeding and other modifiers have 0 benefit for spells, correct?
Flat damage and anything that has a % chance to happen on hit (e.g. "7% chance of confusion for 2 seconds" as a line item) do nothing for spells, i.e. skills with no % weapon damage component. +% damage and things that say % on attack or on crit (these effects all have a name as far as I know) will affect them.

quote:

- I have a bunch of components that I am just holding onto. Is it safe to use them, should I continue to hoard them, or none of the above?
Pretty much every common component is safe to use whenever. You wanna hold onto ectoplasm and chipped claws, they're a pain in the rear end to get and are materials for a lot of items.

quote:

- Is there any way to highlight interactable objects or make it clearer when things can be activated?
Not that I know of; maybe there's a mod somewhere?

quote:

- Is there a way to tell on the map which areas have shrines or other important things that you might have missed?
Shrines you've found but didn't activate will be on your world map with a red X over them. Shrines you haven't found yet will not be on the map.

quote:

- Do mobs only reset once you finish the game or is there some way to reset them and farm?
When you exit out of the game or go back to the character select screen, all the mobs in the world reset.

Join us in the goon grim dawn discord and chat, people are all legit chill there.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Go look up a Devotion Shrine list, there are several. It will make things a lot more bearable, since you need to get at least like 25 out of the 28 shrines on normal.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Are there any builds comparable to PoE's essence drain and contagion? I like DEE and it can do some nice aoe but I'd like to see my plague spread.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

I have two questions after jumping back into this game after...2 years?

I'm following the arcanist/demo build in the op, and how do you get the devotion build it shows? I can't figure out how to start on the turtle with only getting the top of the compass star. The second question is how should I be equipping myself, especially around weapons? I've been using a gently caress off two-handed, which was fun, but damage isn't scaling with skills.

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013
_r

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

TaintedBalance posted:

I have two questions after jumping back into this game after...2 years?

I'm following the arcanist/demo build in the op, and how do you get the devotion build it shows? I can't figure out how to start on the turtle with only getting the top of the compass star. The second question is how should I be equipping myself, especially around weapons? I've been using a gently caress off two-handed, which was fun, but damage isn't scaling with skills.

I would assume if it's showing you a completed devotion build, you'll need to respec some points. Some devotions are self-sustaining once you complete them, so you fill out another one to get the needed points, then once you don't need that constellation to support others, spec out of it.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Lprsti99 posted:

I would assume if it's showing you a completed devotion build, you'll need to respec some points. Some devotions are self-sustaining once you complete them, so you fill out another one to get the needed points, then once you don't need that constellation to support others, spec out of it.

Oooh, you can respec specific spends. That's really nifty! Thanks for the information.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

idiotmeat posted:

Are there any builds comparable to PoE's essence drain and contagion? I like DEE and it can do some nice aoe but I'd like to see my plague spread.

I have no idea what those things are, but apart from Occultist, which does some of those things, Necromancer is coming in the xpac and will likely also do similar things

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
The closest thing to Essence Drain and Contagion is Bloody Pox, maybe with the Witchfire devotion (in PoE, Essence Drain does a high amount of damage over time to a single target, while Contagion does a low amount of DoT to targets within an AoE, and if a target dies with Contagion on them, it spreads to nearby targets. If the target also had Essence Drain on them, it spreads as well.) I don't know if it does enough damage to stand as a main spell on its own though, it clears trash well (or at least, it does early), but it's got no single target, where you could machinegun Drain into enemies because it does good impact damage and much higher DoT. DEE fills that role, but it also shreds groups, so :shrug:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dammit, I just made the mistake of accepting one of those "hunt for this guy who can spawn literally anywhere in a region you're twenty levels past" bounties.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I'd really like to see changes to defensive stats in the expansion so that the only viable stat allocation for almost all builds is not 90-100% physique. Maybe a low point devotion constellation that gives armor, health, DA or elemental resist that scales off of spirit/cunning... something!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
In honor of patch 1.0.1.0 dropping, here's some updated links for the OP if Dahbadu wants to update it:

http://www.grimtools.com/index.html is the new hotness for both character building and item DB. You can upload your character, and for builds you can hold ctrl+shift to show the build without gear bonuses. The site is built to update when the game does with the game info; Grimcalc is, by comparison, several steps behind because the dude who updates it has to do it by hand and we have to hope he does it correctly.

http://grimdawn.gamepedia.com/ is the new place to go for all your quick general quest etc questions. The wikia page is no longer being updated by anyone because wikia is a catshit-based dumpster fire.

http://grimchecklist.com/ is a devotion list, a one-shot chest list, and a quest list all in one so if you have a boner for 100% full completion this is your thing.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Wrong place, I'm dumb.

Exinos fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 6, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Been building a shooty chaos-based ranged pyro while bored, anyone got any good suggestions for devotions/gear/components/augments? I am real bad at sorting out resists.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Been building a shooty chaos-based ranged pyro while bored, anyone got any good suggestions for devotions/gear/components/augments? I am real bad at sorting out resists.

I don't really understand your build. Are you going to focus on ranged auto-attack damage? If so:

Skills:
Ditch: Sigil+modifier, Searing Light (take it to 1 pt, dont remove completely), Static Strike, Hellhound and mods, Doom Bolt
Max: Fire Strike, Aspect of the Guardian (this fixes your poison resist too), Flame Touched, Explosive Strike

Extra points (I haven't counted) could go into Vindictive Flame or Curse of Frailty/Vulnerability

Items: put a Sanctified Bone in your helmet, a resist component of choice in your belt, Corpse Dusts in your rings, Dread Skulls in Amulet+Medal, Chains of Oleron in chest, Consecrated Wrappings in gloves, Silvercore Bolts in weapon.
Then augment everything based on needed resists (damage in weapon though).

Devotions: Build around Kraken and Abomination
Something like this could work:
http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-Tf3lid

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The basic idea is chaos primary fire strike and WPS from items, with sigil for extra healing and provide some AoE. Really it's just me loving around with a pyromancer build because I have the harbinger set and a bunch of fire/chaos poo poo wasting away in my bank. :v:

Your link doesn't have any skills on it and grimcalc doesn't update anymore, so those empty/old devotions don't tell me a whole lot. That's why I use grimtools; it updates when the game does.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

The basic idea is chaos primary fire strike and WPS from items, with sigil for extra healing and provide some AoE. Really it's just me loving around with a pyromancer build because I have the harbinger set and a bunch of fire/chaos poo poo wasting away in my bank. :v:

Your link doesn't have any skills on it and grimcalc doesn't update anymore, so those empty/old devotions don't tell me a whole lot. That's why I use grimtools; it updates when the game does.

My link has devotions, which is clearly what it was for. Current devotions are 99% like the ones in the link and grimcalc loads faster on my garbage work computer. So in short, you're welcome.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Mash posted:

My link has devotions, which is clearly what it was for. Current devotions are 99% like the ones in the link and grimcalc loads faster on my garbage work computer. So in short, you're welcome.
"I didn't try to figure out the points but do different things" isn't really helpful, fyi but I guess if you're the kind of person who can't wait an extra 3 seconds for a site that actually works to load then you're also the kind of person who thinks that being incredibly salty over not getting a handjob over some vague lovely "advice" is cool and good. So in short, I hope you put more effort into your work than your posting.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Lol. Are you for real? I gave you tons of tips for your scatter-brained build, including a full devotion setup that possibly has slightly different numbers on a couple of devotions. I also gave you advice on augments and components, as well as how to maximize your build itself. I did everything but compose a build for you from scratch.

E: I just tested on grimtools, and it is completely possible to do a 100% identical devotion build on the new patch, so I have literally no reason why you're being a dick to someone giving you the advice you asked for.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 20, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Yawgmoth posted:

"I didn't try to figure out the points but do different things" isn't really helpful, fyi but I guess if you're the kind of person who can't wait an extra 3 seconds for a site that actually works to load then you're also the kind of person who thinks that being incredibly salty over not getting a handjob over some vague lovely "advice" is cool and good. So in short, I hope you put more effort into your work than your posting.

The Mash is the only person in this thread making builds, ya joik

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Here's a whole bunch of compiled info taken from the twitch streams that Crate Entertainment has done concerning the new expansion coming out soon.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MH8e963Syq8TPRrstHELUhSdwd5N9Nx2Ke0kvCIAbJ4/edit?usp=sharing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Stokes posted:

Here's a whole bunch of compiled info taken from the twitch streams that Crate Entertainment has done concerning the new expansion coming out soon.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MH8e963Syq8TPRrstHELUhSdwd5N9Nx2Ke0kvCIAbJ4/edit?usp=sharing

Goddamnit, skeletons are temporary pets. I was hoping after Blizzard utterly hosed the pet Necro in D3 that Grim Dawn might have a decent one.

Well, probably not getting this expansion now.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Necro has a permanent pet in the blight fiend, and skeletons are permanent (by having a lower summon cooldown then their duration).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ssmagus posted:

Necro has a permanent pet in the blight fiend, and skeletons are permanent (by having a lower summon cooldown then their duration).

That is even stupider.

Just make them permanent at that point! Its not like they cost non-renewable resources and if the cooldown is lower than the duration what possible reason is there for having a duration besides giving you a dumb 'upkeep' click button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

personally I think it's neat, alongside an actual permanent pet or two, to have one cheap throwaway pet with a low cooldown you can immediately summon several of inside the middle of a pack as your alpha strike

skeletons are the perfect pet for that