Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh also there's a quest about his baby in Baldur's gate that you have to do or he'll leave you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Thank you all for the a Coran help! Next question: is it safe to sell this diamond I found very early on? They don't seem to have a use in BG1, correct?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wildtortilla posted:

Thank you all for the a Coran help! Next question: is it safe to sell this diamond I found very early on? They don't seem to have a use in BG1, correct?

Yeah, gems are useless except for resale value in BG1.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The canon party is a bunch of turds imho. Maybe Jaheria is worth keeping, but only maybe.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm sorry, it sounded for a moment like you were suggesting that Minsc was not, in fact, worth keeping.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
They might not be powergame quality but they'll get you through the game just fine. Only Khalid is particularly terrible because he's a huge pussy but I think there's an item or two around the game that provides protection from fear.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Khalid's morale breaks a little more easily but it's hardly ever an issue. Remove fear stops that and you should always use it in tough encounters anyway. Other than that he has 16 dex and 17 con, which make him a decent tank.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Why can my dwarf F/C not wear a right of the princes +1 and chain mail +1 at the same time?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Balance reasons. You can wear one of: magical body armor (except mage robes which don't count) and ring/amulet/cloak of protection. Magical rings/amulets/cloaks that are not "of protection" generally don't count for this and can be stacked.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 25, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Playing Icewind Dale: EE for the first time (not counting an aborted attempt at playing the original game 10+ years ago). Do I go with the starting party suggested by the game (Berserker, Fighter/Thief, Cleric/Ranger, Mage, Undead Hunter, Bard)? They seem to have good stats. Or should I create custom characters for some of the slots?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was thinking about using EEKeeper to redistribute Imoen's thief skills from pick pockets (35 base) into lockpick and detect traps to bring those to 90 and 75, given my current stat distribution. However I don't think I understand how EEKeeper calculates thief skills because after moving my points around and loading my game, Imoen has 115 lock pick.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Playing Icewind Dale: EE for the first time (not counting an aborted attempt at playing the original game 10+ years ago). Do I go with the starting party suggested by the game (Berserker, Fighter/Thief, Cleric/Ranger, Mage, Undead Hunter, Bard)? They seem to have good stats. Or should I create custom characters for some of the slots?

The starting party will get you through no problem. The rest is optimization, which you won't need on normal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wildtortilla posted:

I was thinking about using EEKeeper to redistribute Imoen's thief skills from pick pockets (35 base) into lockpick and detect traps to bring those to 90 and 75, given my current stat distribution. However I don't think I understand how EEKeeper calculates thief skills because after moving my points around and loading my game, Imoen has 115 lock pick.

EEkeeper doesn't factor in the base stats or bonuses from dexterity or race (can't remember if humans get any bonuses though). Just make a note of what her early stats are and add the number of points to make up the difference (IE, if it says she has 50 in game and you want it to be 90, just add 40 to whatever value EEkeeper displays).

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've decided for my next playthrough I'm going to Shadowkeeper a Druid/Wild Mage to rapid-fire swarms of bees at people. Apparently in AD&D druid/mages were a thing, albeit very rare.

Does anyone know of any mods for BG that make the evil/less good outcomes of quests more rewarding? I think I remember reading something like that in this thread a long time ago but maybe I was imagining it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

I've decided for my next playthrough I'm going to Shadowkeeper a Druid/Wild Mage to rapid-fire swarms of bees at people. Apparently in AD&D druid/mages were a thing, albeit very rare.

Does anyone know of any mods for BG that make the evil/less good outcomes of quests more rewarding? I think I remember reading something like that in this thread a long time ago but maybe I was imagining it.

Sadly you can't actually do that, if you know how to write mods for the game it should be pretty simple to create a mage spell that's functionally identical to Insect Swarm.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Sadly you can't actually do that, if you know how to write mods for the game it should be pretty simple to create a mage spell that's functionally identical to Insect Swarm.

Oh yeah I know. What I'm going to do is start off with a Cleric/Mage, add the Wild Mage kit in EE Keeper and add the druid spells in manually to my divine spellbook.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is the black Pits stuff stand alone or does that content interact with BG, SOD, or BG2?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Wildtortilla posted:

Is the black Pits stuff stand alone or does that content interact with BG, SOD, or BG2?

Is it's own separate thing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Totally stand alone with the exception of a non playable character showing up as a playable NPC in the main games.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

I'm sorry, it sounded for a moment like you were suggesting that Minsc was not, in fact, worth keeping.

No, he is annoying and Ranger is such a stupid class for him.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

MODS

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Phlegmish posted:

I would at least replace the Mage with a Sorcerer. Scrolls are in very short supply in IWD. And you won't get more than one of a lot of them - I think this includes Stoneskin, among others.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I'm really getting into BG and I'm thinking of grabbing SOD whilst it's on sale. I can take my F/C through BG > SOD > BG2, correct?

How does transferring between games work? Will I begin SOD with the stats, proficiencies, spells, and items that I ended with in BG?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

So I'm really getting into BG and I'm thinking of grabbing SOD whilst it's on sale. I can take my F/C through BG > SOD > BG2, correct?

How does transferring between games work? Will I begin SOD with the stats, proficiencies, spells, and items that I ended with in BG?

Yeah, you go right into it after you beat Sarevok.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Your BG1 party is directly transported as it is into the starting SoD dungeon. Once you beat that dungeon, your party splits up and a few never return. Looking at you, Branwen. Thanks for bailing with some of my best stuff.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

bongwizzard posted:

Minsc hasn't aged well but he was great when the games came out and I was a kid.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

Minsc hasn't aged well but he was great when the games came out and I was a kid.

I played the games a when they came out but I didn't have a computer so I was mostly just playing friend's saves or just speed-clicking through dialogue to get to the combat. My first time actually following the story was only like 4-5 years ago, so I have no nostalgia fall back on.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Re: Coran and Kivan recruitment in BG1 -- I'm trying to get away from it on my current run because I always pick these guys up. Having two strong archers in addition to a PC that is also good at ranged makes the game too easy .

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Speaking of ranged, Minsc's 2-hander broke while I was adventuring so I made him actually use the composite long bow I bought for him and he's a raining death now. It's incredible.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Eh, even just keeping the "good" magic items you have a poo poo ton of stuff by like 1/3-1/2 way through SoA.

I gain much satisfaction from scrolling down through my hoard of items, its worth the time to edit my save.

Is cheating in bags done with EE Keeper? I used that yesterday to redistribute Imoen's thief skills and to change proficiency points. I'm getting annoyed at my inventory filling up and sending me back to town earlier than I'd like to go. Bags would be handy just to keep my bullets, arrows, and spare weapons organized.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Really turned off BG2

I've played bg1 normal game many a times, got the ee version and beat the game as barbarian this time (new class for me, never had these options before lol)...

So here are some things about bg2, mind you I've only gotten as far as alien's castle of trolls but I left the city because they wouldn't let me cast any spells without obliterating my whole party for casting minor globe of invulnerability (or similar defensive spell).

It all started in the dungeon, the weird conversations above everyone's heads, a mini dialogue that you had to follow or missed what it said, but finally imoen comes and rescues you!! Then you find Janeira and minsc (thought I offed this guy in bg1 lol, I know it doesn't follow to next game, I guess they resurrected him!!).. And so you have a party of 4!

Eventually I get to upper area of first level, imoen takes too much damage an freaking leaves the party!! Literally "oh f this I'm out of here" and I'm down to 3 people, then minsc and Janeira get slayed by the gnomes and I'm left all alone lugging around arrows and bolts hoping for another party member.

I finally make it outside and woot!... Wait why are they taking imoen no wtf I just got her. Stop no we literally just got her!!... Smh and I'm barred from casting spells?!? Half the doors are locked, with the ones that you can open up have enemies that kill you (near temple of helm by docks). It feels like a cheap version of neverwinter nights.

The dialogue between party members is actually a little annoying, but maybe I lost the old lore and fun I had in bg1, experiencing it for the first time and soaking that new knowledge of a game and opening up new encounters, not knowing whether it be friend or foe behind the door..

Argh maybe I need to slow down and soak it in and enjoy thestory. Maybe I'm thinking since I played bg1 so many times I can force bg2 and I'm not treating as an entirely new game, rather a side adventure, you know what I'm saying.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

Is cheating in bags done with EE Keeper? I used that yesterday to redistribute Imoen's thief skills and to change proficiency points. I'm getting annoyed at my inventory filling up and sending me back to town earlier than I'd like to go. Bags would be handy just to keep my bullets, arrows, and spare weapons organized.

Yes, go to the inventory tab and you can add and remove from the entire list of items in the game.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Really turned off BG2

BG2 is extremely generous with healing. The starting dungeon is rife with potions. Use them. You can also rest as often as you want. In general you want to rest a lot to tailor your spell selection for whatever area you're in.

Imoen is scripted to run away when her health drops dramatically to ensure she's still alive for the story cutscenes.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The Cowled Wizards' restriction on spellcasting isn't a big deal. It only applies out in the streets where there's virtually never any actual combat (sometimes a dumb mugger might attack you in the docks but they're nothing) so there's no reason to be casting any spells there anyway. They also give you like 3 warnings and I think you have to leave the area and rest before you can trigger a new warning. And if you have the urge to cast spells at random you can just go and buy a license at the gov't district. You really have to go out of your way to get punished by them.

It just sounds like you just gotta slow down, chill out, and soak up the game for what it is. BG2 is very much a different game from BG1 (in a good way mind you).

Edit: another thing I thought of looking at your post: party members are a lot more developed than in BG1 so you might want to try keeping them alive. While in BG1 there were tons of potential party members that don't have any personality or interaction beyond "hey wanna join my group" "yeah" in BG2 they've got lots of interactions and sometimes quests associated with them.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 26, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, the Cowled Wizards don't even care about the random encounter areas, although they're technically outdoors.
There are some fights that happen in the streets later on, but they don't trigger during the early game.

You really have to go out of your way to piss off the Cowled Wizards enough to send enforcers after you.
Which you should, of course. Good XP, good scrolls to loot.

Also, tbh, I have a hard time reconciling "finished BG1" and "lost party members in BG2's tutorial area". Like, what?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, BG at the start is much, much harder than BGII's opening dungeon. I remember you could easily get one-shot by a random bear before you get to the first town.

I'm playing through Icewind Dale for the first time right now and it doesn't mess around either. I admit I had some trouble with that fight against a billion skeletons and a skeleton mage standing in the middle of the room. One problem I have is my awesome berserker with two-handed sword proficiency can't actually find any decent two-handed swords, he still has the generic one I bought back in Easthaven, so he's useless against some of the undead unless I switch in a magic weapon.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Oh yeah, that's a kinda obnoxious part of IWD. You're pretty much guaranteed a few magical weapons in the Vale, but they might not be ones your guys use. This is especially bad in the EE/with the BG2 proficiency system in place.

On the bright side, you won't really have that issue ever again.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lol that was a copy paste off some insane persons reddit thread. Some of the stuff people post on there is only slightly more intelligible than Lum the Mad

How anyone can not see bg2 as a clear improvement in almost every way is nuts lol

Party banter owns

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was wondering about alien's castle of trolls.

Wizard Styles posted:

Oh yeah, that's a kinda obnoxious part of IWD. You're pretty much guaranteed a few magical weapons in the Vale, but they might not be ones your guys use. This is especially bad in the EE/with the BG2 proficiency system in place.

On the bright side, you won't really have that issue ever again.

Five minutes after posting, I got Kresselack's Sword. That particular issue is solved for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I was wondering about alien's castle of trolls.

Five minutes after posting, I got Kresselack's Sword. That particular issue is solved for the time being.

I just assumed it was a quickly written typo combined with autocorrect from a phone post.