Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Irithyll Dungeon, is what it's called. I couldn't remember if it was its own area, or a part of the city of Irithyll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
being an ARC/STR character is about as close to being a wizard as i've ever felt in a video game. throwing beams w/ the HMS, firing off Call Beyonds during an enemy's charge animation, throwing accursed brews and blacksky eyes to finish people off, parrying w/ augur... it's all so good

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it would be interesting to see a souls game balanced around ranged attacks, but idk what that would be like or if it's even possible for that to be good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parrying with augur is much fun that at a certain point I made most of characters have enough points to use it in lieu of a gun

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's incredibly fun. i also have a better feel for the timing than most guns, for some reason.

i did switch to a +0 hunter's pistol to take down maria, though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Dunno if it's been said in this thread yet, but this game is amazing

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's HELLA good

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I want to find every person who ever complained about there not being shields and smack them upside the head

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

There is a shield, its called rolling.

Dec 26, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I want to find every person who ever complained about there not being shields and smack them upside the head

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

There is a shield, its called rolling.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

the research hall is so, so good. is there another souls level that's vertical like that one is? dukes archives, maybe a little bit... maybe latria... sort of earthen peak. well, research hall is better than all of them.

the hollow ... which i like a lot even though its mostly falling off the right branch to land next to some loot. and then the epic final battle with the mushroom kingdom

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
and really the nightmare of mensis cos youre climbing a tower. lothric castle and the library too which is 1 big tower level basically

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
use a shield if u want. i use shields all the time even though i can punch most bosses in the series to death bare handed if i want

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I remember liking brume tower a lot as well because of this

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

I.N.R.I posted:

the hollow ... which i like a lot even though its mostly falling off the right branch to land next to some loot. and then the epic final battle with the mushroom kingdom

I love the mushrooms in dark souls

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

On a larger scale the dark souls 1map was designed vertically. I could me imagining this but i think I remember a Miyazaki interview where he says he prefers vertical design

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sen's Fortress is pretty vertical

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I've gone to the sens basement like once

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i always go down and kill the demons cos i like using boss weapons, they usually have nicer movesets than regular ones. or some interesting feature anyway

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

yesterday I killed a titanite demon in sens and was summoned before I could pick up the demon titanite. then it happened again in anor londo today. I'm a dumb but thanks to the titanite chests in anor londo and snuggly I was able to get the gravelord sword to +5 so it all worked out

on a related note, I think ds1 has the best gesture collection of all the soulsborne games

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bb has cape flourish and contact

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

SciFiDownBeat posted:

on a related note, I think ds1 has the best gesture collection of all the soulsborne games

They're so beautifully animated. Shrug, Look Skyward, and Well What Is It have gotta be my top 3. the Bloodborne gestures are close runners up, theres a great grace to em, but they dont have that extra sassiness. actually, the cape shaking is pretty sassy...

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

They're so beautifully animated. Shrug, Look Skyward, and Well What Is It have gotta be my top 3. the Bloodborne gestures are close runners up, theres a great grace to em, but they dont have that extra sassiness. actually, the cape shaking is pretty sassy...

Even though a variation has been in like every game, for some reason the ds1 Joy (jumping fist pump) still looks the best to me

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

extremebuff posted:

bb has cape flourish and contact

Dust off is my fav

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
plead for life is really fun, especially that japanese player who uses it to iframe through attacks

anyway, i found another boss arena i don't think i've seen before. this one is a giant ritual slab with the hunter's mark in the middle:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the idea that there's more secrets in the chalices that can be found through continued exploration tugs at my mind in the same way i'd like to imagine laurence and ludwig were compelled to drink werewolf blood to get brain eyes.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

plead for life is really fun, especially that japanese player who uses it to iframe through attacks

anyway, i found another boss arena i don't think i've seen before. this one is a giant ritual slab with the hunter's mark in the middle:

thats the yarnham queen arena i think.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The yharnam queen arena has a big statue on the altar, I've seen variants like that but never in Boss arenas. Although the only chalices I ever ran were uhh Isz? The one with blue aliens all over, because it had my fave bosses

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sector_corrector posted:

the idea that there's more secrets in the chalices that can be found through continued exploration tugs at my mind in the same way i'd like to imagine laurence and ludwig were compelled to drink werewolf blood to get brain eyes.

lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

The yharnam queen arena has a big statue on the altar, I've seen variants like that but never in Boss arenas. Although the only chalices I ever ran were uhh Isz? The one with blue aliens all over, because it had my fave bosses

yeah, the base is similar, but i've never seen that hunter rune graphic, so that's new (to me at least)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the alien chalices looked really cool and were full of fun enemies, they also had teleports that would sometimes put you in a secret room. plus the funny aliens are fun

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thinkin about the early bits of the game where you knock on doors and hear a social event going on the other side, and this bizarre maniacal laughter thats at a perfect point between drunk cackling and deeply pained wailing that makes you wonder if everyone inside is having fun or clawing their own eyes out

this game is perfect

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff posted:

thinkin about the early bits of the game where you knock on doors and hear a social event going on the other side, and this bizarre maniacal laughter thats at a perfect point between drunk cackling and deeply pained wailing that makes you wonder if everyone inside is having fun or clawing their own eyes out

this game is perfect

That always freaked me out, it made me think of when they watch the recording in Event Horizon

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

GulagDolls posted:

you have to fight and kill everything

Yeah my gamer tendencies are to not skip enemies. It just feels wrong. I also take forever beating any of souls games :dance:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

extremebuff posted:

this game is perfect
I love the old women who mock and laugh at you.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love the old women who mock and laugh at you.

But enough about your dating life! Lets talk about bloodborne

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

extremebuff posted:

:hfive:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff posted:

Lol

Adbot