Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

And More posted:

The analysis is extremely shallow, and reeks of "I really wanted to read it this way" to me. Let's start from the beginning then. No way to miss context there.

The entire element of Dougie being unable to go to the bathroom on his own screams dementia to me. They argue that he's behaving terribly, but he is clearly severely handicapped. This is not subtext. We know Cooper wasn't like this before he left the Lodge, and he's sure as hell not doing it on purpose. "He is even rewarded for it by ladies taking him to the bathroom" is just a ridiculous statement, and the woman trying to kiss Dougie is clearly overstepping some sort of boundary. She herself is weirded out by it only moments afterwards.

Mental impairment is certainly one way to look at Dougie's actions, and you can totally argue that his behavior is perhaps a comment on that, at times.

But you know, it's interesting to me - they look at Dougie as a comment on the privileged white man who gets away with everything, maybe even *because* of his mental impairment. I'm not saying they're right, just that it's interesting valid and it doesn't strike me as outright ridiculous; the way for that the article about "Diane's problematic orientalism" did.

This is a dynamic as old as the great Peter Sellers' film "Being There" and the political career of Ronald Reagan. I absolutely do not think it's unreasonable to look at the character of Dougie Jones in this light. And, as the ladies in that commentary point out, Donald J. Trump is sort of the recent iteration of this phenomena. Like Dougie J, Donnie J goes about his business every day and people wonder if he's being clever or if he's functionally retarded or if he's a demonic entity of some sort. Literally. I find analyzing the character of Dougie Jones in a similar light to be illuminating, really. Like Peter Sellers in Being There, most of the time he is something of a perfectly blank canvas onto which people project themselves, largely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
So does every show have weekly "_____ is problematic and toxic" articles? I don't want too many shows and I read even less articles about them, so I'm kind of out of the loop. I've seen so many about Twin Peaks so far that I have to assume it happens with literally every show on TV.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Depends what'll draw clicks at the time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Cromulent posted:

So does every show have weekly "_____ is problematic and toxic" articles? I don't want too many shows and I read even less articles about them, so I'm kind of out of the loop. I've seen so many about Twin Peaks so far that I have to assume it happens with literally every show on TV.

I certainly hope so, given how transparently misogynistic so many network shows and sitcoms are. Not to mention the undercurrents of racism and homophobia.

I think what so many of the people raging on the internet about so-called "social justice workers' is that they either do not believe or refuse to acknowledge that it is culturally impossible to be born and raised in America today without having a certain amount of misogyny, homophobia, racism, and overall fear of whatever is perceived as "the other" as well, which is something often unique to specific communities and locations. Speaking personally, I'm a queer guy and I was raised to view that gay men were all sorts of awful things mostly from the television and movies, even though my mother's a lesbian and my father was always totally open-minded and approving - moreso than my queer mother, ironically.

The point I'm just trying to make here is that I'm of the belief that essentially every single living human being has to grapple with personal prejudices ingrained into their head from an extremely young age, and the best possible thing is to be aware of them and self-conscious of ourselves when we see those attitudes starting to poke. Also, just because you are (black, gay, female) does not AT ALL preclude you from on some level having (racism towards blacks, homophobia, misogyny) of your own to deal with and cope with an acknowledge, on certain levels.

But really, it's hard for me not to view the following as the most dangerous thing of all: privileged white males that are given/achieve a platform who are so deluded as to sincerely believe they are being "repressed" in some way or that "the government doesn't care about them" or tons of other positively insane Richard Spencer-esque rhetoric. That poo poo's seriously hosed.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 25, 2017

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
There was one person who reacted to Dougie-Coop in a realistic manner. The old slot machine lady.
Mean as gently caress, but when she saw he was Mr. Jackpots, she wanted in.
So true to life.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fact that people don't react realistically to Dougie is what makes the scenes funny/weird.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
To add to the things that are being said in this thread, that should better maybe be said in places other than this thread, I offer this perspective on the queer angle of things. The new season is being shown in Russia one day behind the US (on ordinary tv with ads and poo poo) and although I'm not watching it this way, I am tickled by Lynch basically saying "gently caress you and die" to all the talking heads on all the shows on all channels talking about the evils of gay propaganda, through one of his characters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cromulent posted:

Just the popular ones people talk about a lot

loga mira posted:

To add to the things that are being said in this thread, that should better maybe be said in places other than this thread, I offer this perspective on the queer angle of things. The new season is being shown in Russia one day behind the US (on ordinary tv with ads and poo poo) and although I'm not watching it this way, I am tickled by Lynch basically saying "gently caress you and die" to all the talking heads on all the shows on all channels talking about the evils of gay propaganda, through one of his characters.

Not even just through one of his characters, one of his characters who is portrayed by himself

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I read the woman co-worker expecting a kiss as suggesting to the audience that pre-Coop Dougie was having an affair with her. We even meet him paying a prostitute. It's even implied that he might have been an accomplice to Sizemore's illegal activities when he first comes to the meeting. And we've been told at least once that he acted like he doesn't know where he is, what he's doing, or how to do basic things like having "episodes" or this is how he acts "on good days," so it's difficult for me to take a reading seriously that assumes he's got full control of his mental faculties. There's clearly something about the original Dougie that is very off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also the things Dougie has done (mostly before Coop's involvement) that constitute toxic masculinity:

- Cheating on his wife because he can
- Being an absentee father because kids are a snore
- Indulging in hedonistic fantasies via money
- Lying to get ahead of the competition

Are all things he has very explicitly gotten in trouble for, with the latter almost getting him killed in the first 15 minutes he is onscreen, so...

edit: And, yes, Coop has hardly suffered the consequences of any of these things in Dougie's stead, but Dougie pretty obviously wasn't suffering them either and it'd take a hell of an idiot to read that as the show saying that's a good thing

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 25, 2017

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Cromulent posted:

In a parallel universe there is a Twin Peaks with Debbie Jones and people are saying it's problematic because it implies women aren't as intelligent as men and the only way to succeed is to repeat/follow others.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cromulent posted:

Yeah dude. Literally every single tv show will have some essay long think piece about toxic masculinity or some poo poo. As if any of it matters really anyway.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I mean it's important to criticize this poo poo in media, since it does affect people watching it whether they realize it or not. But there's definitely a vein of clickbait producers that have found you can slap a bunch of Problematic buzzwords onto a headline about Currently Popular Show and generate a bunch of clicks. I don't think that Dougie being unable to use the bathroom without help reinforces any sort of gender policing. If you wanted to go down that route there's stuff to say about how people in the show treat Dougie vs how they treat Janey but even then I don't see that the show is saying "this is a good thing".

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
im rewatching ep 6 and 7 before tonights one and lmao at the book Sonny Jim was reading before bed.

"The Secret of the Old Mill". Good gag.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CJacobs posted:

Also the things Dougie has done (mostly before Coop's involvement) that constitute toxic masculinity:

Are all things he has very explicitly gotten in trouble for, with the latter almost getting him killed in the first 15 minutes he is onscreen, so...

edit: And, yes, Coop has hardly suffered the consequences of any of these things in Dougie's stead, but Dougie pretty obviously wasn't suffering them either and it'd take a hell of an idiot to read that as the show saying that's a good thing

It's not actually the real Dougie they are talking about, though. It's very specifically Cooper as Dougie whom they read as toxically masculin.

quote:

SUZETTE: I don't remember any of them! I've blocked them out, but Adam Sandler movies are where I want to base my argument. But, yeah, anyway Dougie Jones. I couldn't believe that he's following glowing lights and drawing shoots and ladders on all those files and his boss is like, "Let me make sure I look through all of these to make sure you drew garbage on all of them!" And then he's like, "This garbage is genius! Thank you for bringing it to my attention."

MEGAN: Makes me think of all the emails I get from male artists who make bad art asking me to write about them. "Look, I made trash! Reward me now!"

That being said, the authors don't seem to criticise Lynch for creating this character. It's more like Dougie's a satirised version of a pampered Adam Sandler stereotype, and Lynch should be lauded for depicting how toxic such a character is.

(I think the assassins were all sent by the doppelganger. That's like the one thing you can't actually blame Dougie for.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, so they're just idiots, then.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just clicked on the article and the amount of projection is amazing. lmao

WHY DOES NO ONE LIKE ME AND I WORK HARDER THAN DOUGIE :qq:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I dunno, it's downright fascinating to me that this one woman views the character in such a crazy light. If you look at who is talking, it's 'Suzette' who says all the insane crap. I thought the other two had pretty interesting stuff to say for the most part, but yeah I mostly found the stuff that one woman was saying pretty far out there, that someone would take any fictional character so personally.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

This *might* be a problem if Janey-E didn't kick so much rear end that she's basically the best character on the show. Yeah, Dougie's failing upwards, but it's pretty clear Janey-E is the one making most of it work.

Seriously - watch the scene where she tells off the loan sharks. A deconstruction of a toxically masculine mentality if there ever was one.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i tend to consider myself pretty radfem but lmfao whining because you aren't as successfu or well liked at workl as fuckin Mr Magoo is some pretty pathetic poo poo lol

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Those article authors must hate Mr. Bean, the great icon of misogyny.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I bought the vinyl soundtrack for the original series today and it doesn't have James' Song on it. I'm glad they made the right choice.

illumn8d
Jul 24, 2002

If you've ever had someone grab your nutsack in a tussle then yank on it, you'll know why I greased the boys up.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

CJacobs posted:

Not to mention those aren't even something just men do. Just flip those nouns around (her husband, mother) and it still works. Those are just lovely human things.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I bought the vinyl soundtrack for the original series today and it doesn't have James' Song on it. I'm glad they made the right choice.

It came out before S2.

They put it on the Season Two Music and More release, thank god.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Case files

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i like this show

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phi230 posted:

Case files

Mister jackpots :downs:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't wanna be a buzzkill y'all, but there's a 2 week break after tonight's episode :(

There's no new episode on 7/2, which coincidentally is my birthday :smithicide:

So enjoy the new one tonight!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't wanna be a buzzkill y'all, but there's a 2 week break after tonight's episode :(

There's no new episode on 7/2, which coincidentally is my birthday :smithicide:

So enjoy the new one tonight!

gently caress!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh man, that sucks. What's the point of that? I don't understand tv scheduling.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

cptn_dr posted:

Oh man, that sucks. What's the point of that? I don't understand tv scheduling.
I wanna say I read that it had to do with people being on vacation for 4th of July and no one being around to watch it? Which is pretty dumb considering how many cord cutters there are and how many people stream this show anyway, but whatever.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Two weeks? I shudder to think what this thread is going to be like with two weeks of no new episodes.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ugh. Independence was a mistake.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Two weeks? I shudder to think what this thread is going to be like with two weeks of no new episodes.

That all depends on what happens in tonight's episode. I'm not hopeful, though.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

just probate everyone who posts here for 2 weeks

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Turdfuzz posted:

just probate everyone who posts here for 2 weeks

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheMaestroso posted:

That all depends on what happens in tonight's episode. I'm not hopeful, though.
Cinematographer posted this on Instagram, but it's like as cryptic as you could possibly get.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So does anyone know when the episodes go up on Amazon's Showtime subscription?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ohigami oh my posted:

So does anyone know when the episodes go up on Amazon's Showtime subscription?

I don't know if that's different but they go up exactly at 9PM EST on the stand alone Showtime app.