Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

All of the 1070s and 1060s are now wiped out on nowinstock except for one selling for $800 lol, I really hope they do go for the 1080 Ti next as being able to get those cheap sometime down the line would be neat.

I thought you were retarded as I run a computer shop and build a few gaming computers a month. Holy poo poo Amazon doesn't have a 1070 in stock! Literally last month I could have my pick at retail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

as the people using the 1080tis for mining are here, im 100% confident we will have a reasonable idea of their reliability after mining. If they start going bad we will know not to buy them used.

some are here, and it would be unwise to assume that a random 1080ti you buy on craiglist was well-cared for. Instead you should consider that it might have been used like this:

amateur homerigging is the norm, especially if you're buying video cards from randos in the middle of a panic-sell; do not assume it is the exception. All that I am advising is caution; don't cream your jeans too quick when used cards start showing up everywhere, especially not if your finances can't afford to basically lose that hardware without recourse

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im running mine in a low noise, not optimized for airflow case. If it doesnt burn out here it wont in the open air milk crate in the picture. Dont buy if it doesnt have a warranty, its very simple.

I know every buttcoiner GPU has been abused, I also have confidence they can take the abuse and if they cant I have the warranty

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 25, 2017

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

"it looks like this unit was run outside of normal operating conditions and as such we cannot provide you with a refund or replacement at this time."

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Djeser posted:

"it looks like this unit was run outside of normal operating conditions and as such we cannot provide you with a refund or replacement at this time."

Normal operating conditions of "normal voltage and under thermal max"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fauxtool posted:

im running mine in a low noise, not optimized for airflow case. If it doesnt burn out here it wont in the open air milk crate in the picture. Dont buy if it doesnt have a warranty, its very simple.

The bitcoin threads always say open milk crate rigs are worse than one in a modern case. Even if you point a big room fan at it. I don't understand how it works though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

QuarkJets posted:

I use GPUs for serious (physics) computation work with CUDA for a living and I run into academics all the time who think they can get by just slapping 4x 1080s (or 980s or whatever) into a server and running them at full-tilt. In my experience they lose about 50% of those cards after a year. Consumer-grade video cards are actually not designed to be used 24/7; their failure rates go way up when you do that, and those failure rates increase further when you pack several them into a poorly-ventilated space (such as a homebrew "computation" box or a mining rig). There are computational-grade graphics cards that are actually designed to survive in a high-load setting, but they cost a lot more

We're talking about statistical likelihood of failure here, so obviously you'll still stand a decent change of finding a 1080 or 1070 card that will work fine for years as a normal gaming GPU despite being abused like that. But if you're normally skittish about buying refurb hardware, like most people are, then buying a GPU used for mining is not for you; think of it as buying refurb with a far higher chance of failure and no warranty. It's a gamble that you stand a decent chance of winning but holy poo poo don't pretend like there's no chance of failure

So to be clear, something like using 8 1080 Tis as compute cards is an idiot trap, and Teslas are the only real answer?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

So to be clear, something like using 8 1080 Tis as compute cards is an idiot trap, and Teslas are the only real answer?

Not necessarily; that setup is being sold as a server that you put in a data center, on a rack mount, where presumably it will be adequately cooled.

Putting that thing under your desk is a recipe for disaster, however

Of these two scenarios, the latter is what cryptomining usually entails

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

I know every buttcoiner GPU has been abused, I also have confidence they can take the abuse and if they cant I have the warranty

Warranties don't transfer. That's the crux of the problem; if you buy a mining card used then you do not have a warranty, and if the card dies after you receive it then you're SOL.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

Warranties don't transfer. That's the crux of the problem; if you buy a mining card used then you do not have a warranty, and if the card dies after you receive it then you're SOL.

warranties do transfer when you buy a card with a transferable warranty like those by EVGA. MSI cards have them and same with if you order directly from nvidia. You dont actually need to transfer anything as the warranty is attached to the serial not the buyer . Edit* ASUS and Gigabyte warranties also follow the serial. None of them require registration when first purchased except EVGA as far as i can tell.
https://www.evga.com/articles/00671/

So i guess you are wrong and it can actually be totally safe to buy a used card from a buttcoiner. I know you have already made up your mind and your heels are well dug in. Its okay, more used 1070s for us

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 25, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Since you're writing a book against all this stuff, I wonder if you've thought of buying any funcoins? You seem to be against mining, from what I've read, but not sure if you think this crypto poo poo has any real future or what

I was previously the proud owner of six Dogecoins, until I reformatted the laptop in question and couldn't be bothered.

The very best ICO I've seen yet is EOS.io, which I wrote up here. I told my wife "I should forget this book idea and just start a GiveMeAllYourMoney ICO" but she vetoed it, apparently she has morals or something.

I have achieved the opposite of what my Goldman Sachs shill masters wanted, though: a friend bought £5 of ETH off Coinbase just 'cos she wanted a front seat for the train wreck. Oh dear.

Fauxtool posted:

I know you have already made up your mind and your heels are well dug in. Its okay, more used 1070s for us

This thread is not so much "touching the poop" as "skinnydipping backstroke in an Olympic-sized cesspool".

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I disagree considering none of us advocate hoarding but rather cashing out immediately and never buying new hardware for the express purpose of mining.

Its more like TCC threads where they talk about they doing drugs but "responsibly". "I'm not like those addicts" Is later found heat stroke dead in car too high to unlock the door and live

Thats how im going out, heat stroked under a pile of GPUs

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

everdave posted:

I thought you were retarded as I run a computer shop and build a few gaming computers a month. Holy poo poo Amazon doesn't have a 1070 in stock! Literally last month I could have my pick at retail!

It happened really quickly, if mining is still profitable a week from now I wouldn't be surprised if the 1080 Ti was out of stock as well.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Nah, this thread is more "There are people paying for poop. I can poop and would like to sell it but I don't want to touch it"

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

TomR posted:

Nah, this thread is more "There are people paying for poop. I can poop and would like to sell it but I don't want to touch it"

What if I want to touch my poop but don't want to sell it?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

B-Mac posted:

What if I want to touch my poop but don't want to sell it?

That's when you get mocked.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Not only am i producing the poop, I'm buying other people's freshly produced poop. To the moooooooooon!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Divabot can you look into WAVES and tell me your opinion? I'm legit thinking of buying a hundred pieces at 5 dollars to see what happens. There's no mining and the chrome app is very good for being an early release, it seems like a legit good project, but then again I suddenly became a crypto miner so I don't trust my broken brain anymore

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
:suicide:

This is why you cant buy bideo cards

https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/6j9hwf/bought_too_many_gpus_delimma/

quote:

So here's the story. One month ago I partnered up with 2 of my buddies to start a huge Ethereum mining investment. We went to every Micro Center in New York and cleared all the AMD cards off the shelves. We also purchased cards on NewEgg, Amazon, BestBuy and etc. We had friends and relatives shipped cards to us from out of state. Two weeks ago we finally found a suitable space to run our rigs. It is a warehouse about a 1 hour drive away from where we live. We signed the lease and immediately hired an electrician to do some wiring work. It was not until a week ago that we realized we purchased way too many graphic cards. We simply do not have enough electrical power to support all our rigs. I mean we knew we wouldn’t have enough electrical power from the start but we thought we could just add more power to the place easily but apparently that’s not the case. We have to apply for it, wait for its’ approval and even after it’s approved it is going to be quite costly. So a cheaper and faster solution to our problem right now is to look for a second space which we are in the process of doing right now. But we still have too many cards right now. Currently we’re running around 85 - 95 graphic cards and some heavy duty fans from Home Depot at our current place. We still have about 150 graphic cards sitting around and another 17 coming from California. Assuming the second space we lease will most likely have the standard electrical power available, that will mean we will have to look for a third space. Since time is of the essence right now and we do not know when we will find our third space or even our second space, my partners and I have decided we will sell about 50 – 80 of our graphic cards to minimize our risks.
So here's the problem. When we were moving all the graphic cards to the warehouse, we unboxed everything in order to fit everything in my car. The cards are all mixed up and I have no idea which are 570s, which are 580s, which are 4GBs and which are 8GBs. Anyone who has been clearing the shelves will know that they come in so many shapes and forms. And even if I figure out which one is which, I still have to match them with all my receipts. Anyone have a quick solution to this problem? The only thing I can think of is to sell them in bundles, just grabbing them out at random and putting a flat cost on all the cards instead of marking them up individually. But I don't know will it take long for me to find a buyer this way since it would require them to have a lot of capital at hand.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't he just read the serial? Most of my cards have the model next to the serial

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably isn't familiar with computer hardware

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Who are these people and why can't we watch them in zoos?

eames
May 9, 2009

I guess the car guy could pry the chip packages off the cards and put them in a X99 socket to read the model ID

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The bitcoin threads always say open milk crate rigs are worse than one in a modern case. Even if you point a big room fan at it. I don't understand how it works though.

Modern cases duct a lot of airflow through them. A big room fan can be bad about extracting hot air.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I'm trying to flip my 1070 for the price I paid for a year ago. Just last month i was ready to let it go for $250. God bless miners

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ahahahahahahaha

Also ethereum took a nut shot to its value and it keeps dropping. I think I'm going to stop mining it in a couple weeks/days since the profit is just too low now. It was a good run !

Ahahahahahahaha

Also ethereum took a nut shot to its value and it keeps dropping. I think I'm going to stop mining it in a couple weeks/days since the profit is just too low now. It was a good run !

Unlesss... maybe I should hold until it becomes as valuable as bitcoin!

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 25, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TomR posted:

"Some anonymous firm in Glorious Peoples Republic of Cryptochina is paying me to poop and there's a farmer's market next door. This is the weirdest loving future."

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Divabot can you look into WAVES and tell me your opinion? I'm legit thinking of buying a hundred pieces at 5 dollars to see what happens. There's no mining and the chrome app is very good for being an early release, it seems like a legit good project, but then again I suddenly became a crypto miner so I don't trust my broken brain anymore

1. Is it an ICO?
YES: avoid it.
NO: it's an ICO, you fibber.

2. Does it satisfy all the following?
* It solves a technical problem that requires decentralised, cryptographically verified tokens (if it doesn't need tokens, they shouldn't be bolted on)
* the tokens are directly usable on the platform itself
* at least a proof-of-concept of the technology verifiably exists
* the idea is even plausible as a business
YES: you liar.
NO: well of course it doesn't, it's an ICO.

3. Does the white paper contain ridiculous gibberish and quotes from loving idiots?
NO: mmm why you fukin lyin, oh my satoshi
YES: “The killer application of blockchain technology is the blockchain itself.“ attributed to "Common wisdom", right after a quote from Ryan X. Charles.

CONCLUSION: every day we stray further from Satoshi's light.

more serious answer: It's an ICO platform that wants to compete with Ethereum. I'm pretty sure that's not "moon", maybe I'm wrong, Ethereum is filling after all. Maybe it's not poo poo technically. It actually passes the tests in question 2, if you think "ICO platform" isn't a BS idea. I wouldn't spend $5 on it myself, but I am definitely not offering investment advice.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ether $295, 25% slide over past 14d. Check your numbers

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

The sad thing is if they had focused all of their effort on just flipping the cards they could have made bank, now they'll probably be selling them off for $75 each in a few months.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They signed a loving lease lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

warranties do transfer when you buy a card with a transferable warranty like those by EVGA. MSI cards have them and same with if you order directly from nvidia. You dont actually need to transfer anything as the warranty is attached to the serial not the buyer . Edit* ASUS and Gigabyte warranties also follow the serial. None of them require registration when first purchased except EVGA as far as i can tell.
https://www.evga.com/articles/00671/

So i guess you are wrong and it can actually be totally safe to buy a used card from a buttcoiner. I know you have already made up your mind and your heels are well dug in. Its okay, more used 1070s for us

NVidia warranties:

quote:

LIMITATIONS OF WARRANTY
This warranty applies only to the original purchases of the Warranted Products from a retailer, mail order operation, or on-line retail store; this warranty will not extend to any person that acquires a Warranted Product on a used basis.

I wasn't aware that EVGA did transferrable warranties, that's neat

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

They signed a loving lease lol

Who approved of this lease in the first place

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe their moms co-signed

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ether $295, 25% slide over past 14d. Check your numbers

spot price: $262.65

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Risky Bisquick posted:

spot price: $262.65

huh. Someone turning an ICO into ActualMoney while the selling's good? I've just seen it drop $5 in 5 minutes on the CoinDesk weighted average. http://www.coindesk.com/ethereum-price/

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Ahahahahahahaha

Unlesss... maybe I should hold until it becomes as valuable as bitcoin!

I haven't seen Nicehash mine ETH once all weekend.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Deth of Eth

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Nahh, it's already bouncing back, like a healthy dead cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Anyone else mining with pascal notice the nicehash miner dropping their memory clocks? My 1080 ti drops down to 5005 from 5500 when I start it.

• Locked thread