Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Land Rover temp gauge seems to read quite high, but I think it's the regulator for the gauges causing it, rather than it being an actual cooling issue.

Of course, I completely forgot that if it causes the temp gauge to read high, it will also cause the fuel gauge to read high. Good thing I carry an extra gallon with me!

Landie community in action though, in the time it took me to get the can out and pour it in, a guy in a P38 had pulled over to ask if I needed a hand.

He was scoping out any potential salvage, gotta keep your eyes peeled in the wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Landie community in action though, in the time it took me to get the can out and pour it in, a guy in a P38 had pulled over to ask if I needed a hand.

That's a very Land Rover reaction, isn't it?

*Sees a LR parked by the roadside*
*Stops*
"Hello there, what's broken?"

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

I think my gaming days are over for real now. I can't keep up with hardware.

I downloaded the new DooM today on the steam sale. 78 gigabytes. I did a double take. I might have to move it off my SSD if I run out of space in the future, or if I want to buy a second modern game.

I feel you. Games are getting huge these days. I downloaded Wolfenstein The New Order a few weeks back, ~50 gb, and then found out the game wouldn't start because it doesn't play nice with AMD gpus (I have a 7950).

I guess I'll try again in another few months when I get a new GPU.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

*Stops*

yes, the sky is blue.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So my girlfriend has moved onto a farm recently. The guy that owns it was born on it 70 years ago and is one of those 'make it work' types simply because his way of farming is oldschool and not making fat cash like intensive farming.

Yesterday he was faffing about with his tractor, a 1980 International 784. It's big, old, looks like poo poo and been repaired a million times but still runs hard. 38 years isn't a bad number for a workhorse tractor.

Anyway he was faffing with it saying the gear linkages are getting progressively worse, not shifting all the way and needed to do something about it. I return back to the farm later and find him out front driving about testing his new repair, asking what he'd done he told me the thing has a gated shifter(!!) and that because it wasn't allowing him to shift into gear all the way he simply made the gates longer... It now works perfectly. Bodgetastic.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Defragging just shags your SSD turbo quickly. Don't do it.

gently caress. How bad is it if you just do it once? I ran it after encountering and clearing up this fun bug, but only did it the once. Turbofucked? I just want this poo poo to survive until they pull the plug on cablecard, or the guide updates finally stop.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
It just reduces the available writes, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had the same SSD in a machine for at least 4 years now and it still is at 100% writes available. Its probably had 6 OS reinstalls and runs a handful of VMs that aren't ever stopped. It wasn't even a nice one, since the machine doesn't have SATAIII anyway (HP Microserver N36L).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

He was scoping out any potential salvage, gotta keep your eyes peeled in the wasteland.
I'm actually quite looking forward to the impending Mad Max/Fallout postapocalyptic wasteland. It'll be like living near Rotherham again.

spog posted:

*Stops*
He didn't actually believe me when I said "nothing, I just needed some petrol". Even when it started.

cursedshitbox posted:

yes, the sky is blue.
*Grey

Never buy old machinery/vehicles from an old-school farmer. Jesus Christ. If there's a way to technically "fix" it for free, that's what it'll get.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but I did pick up 323 GTX #4 (or 5?) and have slowly been amassing awesome period performance parts from eBay and Croooober.

Parts so far:
New in box HKS PFC F-CON (piggyback fuel computer)
vintage pre-SSQV HKS bypass valve
original HKS EVC (boost controller)
Boost/EGT gauges in 52mm
Boost/EGT/water gauges in 46mm

I'm still looking for an amber face oil temperature gauge (46 or 52mm whatever), Graphical Control Computer, and maybe the scramble controller if someone knows anyone looking to sell that stuff, even if its random parts.

If anyone wants a white face HKS boost gauge, I have both the 20psi export version, and the 'compound meter' 1 bar Japanese market one. I don't need the 46mm boost/EGT either. The boost is mechanical and the EGT uses a standard K type thermocouple.

ps HKS roolz GReddy and Blitz suck

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
This last week has been kind of crazy for me. I discovered that my good friend of nearly 20 years is my half-brother, DNA confirmed. Before my folks got married, my mom had a child she gave up for adoption.

This is some Hallmark channel poo poo guys. Dude was a groomsman in my wedding.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 25, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

This last week has been kind of crazy for me. I discovered that my good friend of nearly 20 years is my half-brother, DNA confirmed. Before my folks got married, my mom had a child she gave up for adoption.

This is some Hallmark channel poo poo guys.

Brought together by the Gorester.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wrar posted:

That's actually kinda awesome but odd too.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Wrar posted:

toplitzin?!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

toplitzin?!

LOL no, Top was not adopted and his parents are good people.

To clarify further this is not a small town thing. I'm from Miami, my folks are from Miami and my (now know) brother is down there still.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wrar posted:

LOL no, Top was not adopted and his parents are good people.

To clarify further this is not a small town thing. I'm from Miami, my folks are from Miami and my (now know) brother is down there still.

Did you both have pendants with half a gold coin on them or something?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

Okay, so how much will it cost me to admit I'm a terrible need and want both these things?

The Up Goer Five (design of the only space car to take us to another world using.only the ten hundred most common words) poster is from xkcd. I glued mine to some foam board.

The Lego Saturn V is like $130 Ameribucks. It has 1969 pieces :v:

Moral cosr? Eternal virginity.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was ogling the Saturn V on display at the Lego store in Chandler yesterday. Isn't that kit pretty much sold out already?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The drone racing league has been playing in the background at work for the past week or so, and it makes me wonder if that might be the future direction of professional motor sports. It's faster and more intense than humans can handle, and the designs can be significantly better because you don't need every control surface centered around a 160lb, 5'10" ballast. Plus, safety only needs to concern onlookers, not the ballast, so courses can be much more dangerous and exciting

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

WipEout will soon be real :awesomelon:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ended up getting the Whirlpool Cabrios for $300 off each, total cost was about $1500 with a 10% discount coupon from Lowes

These things are wicked quiet

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Silverado Day two update: Big loving hammer got the ball joint off the knuckle. Heat and a pair of pipe wrenches took care of the inner tie rod.
Proceeding with drilling out the control arm rivets. hosed up a HF 1/2" bit so I bought a pricey carbide bit. Drilled the rivets, smacked them with a cold chisel to remove the heads but I can't drive the fuckers out. More drilling I guess. Hope the bit lasts.
Lesson learned, just buy new control arms next time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ended up getting the Whirlpool Cabrios for $300 off each, total cost was about $1500 with a 10% discount coupon from Lowes

These things are wicked quiet

Question for anyone in the know. Why are top loaders a thing in the US? Over here in the UK they're seen as antiquated and old fashioned to the point where the only top loading washing devices you can get are designed for places like caravans or boats and are cheap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Question for anyone in the know. Why are top loaders a thing in the US? Over here in the UK they're seen as antiquated and old fashioned to the point where the only top loading washing devices you can get are designed for places like caravans or boats and are cheap.

Front-loaders were a thing here for awhile and now have fallen back out of favour with their uncomfortable predilection for developing mildew and/or leaking.

Since we (generally) are not space limited, stacked front-loaders are also unnecessary.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Those probably don't have the traditional agitator, at least my set of LGs don't, so they aren't really any older of a design then the front loaders. They clean well, don't easily develop odors because you can leave the lid open without tripping over it, and they are mechanically simple enough, fit in the same footprint, really I don't see the disadvantage.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Purely anecdotal but I would imagine machines designed for the US market are generally larger and space is at less of a premium. A large, top-loading machine might cost close to what a smaller, front-loading machine would cost; and the smaller, front-loading machine could be stacked with the dryer if space is at an even higher premium.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Not sure if its still the case but when I bought a top loading HE in late 2013 the front loaders had a $150+ premium when compared against a top loader with similar features.

Also for US vs UK/Europe, isn't it fairly common in Europe to have your washer/dryer under a counter in the kitchen or bathroom (in which case a top loader wouldn't work)? In the US the norm is to have a dedicated laundry room or put your washer/dryer in an unfinished part of the basement.

monsterzero posted:

Seconding this, I was going to do my ball joints in late March but for about double the cost of replacement ball joints I was able to buy a lower suspension rebuild kit from an Amazon vendor that included the entire control arm with ball joints and bushings plus swaybar endlinks and inner/outer tie rod ends. Cleaned up a nasty front-end shimmy I had for the past ~10k miles, I'm sure my swaybar links were nearing the end of their useful life and now I have spare tie rod ends when the time comes to replace them.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 25, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I love my augerless top loader, because it has a ton of space.

I also love that there's no seal to fail and leak water everywhere. Also parts for front loaders are impossible to find and they develop mildew and eat your change in the stupid rubber gaskets and pockets.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LloydDobler posted:

I think my gaming days are over for real now. I can't keep up with hardware.

I downloaded the new DooM today on the steam sale. 78 gigabytes. I did a double take. I might have to move it off my SSD if I run out of space in the future, or if I want to buy a second modern game.

My PC is barely below the minimum requirement, I just don't have the love for games that would prompt me to dedicate this kind of money and time to it anymore.

This is pretty much why I turned the Xbox 360 years ago. More that I was too poor to keep up with PC hardware at the time. Now it's totally that I don't care. Caveat is that you have to get used to a controller, and mods are pretty much right out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Land Rover temp gauge seems to read quite high, but I think it's the regulator for the gauges causing it, rather than it being an actual cooling issue.

Of course, I completely forgot that if it causes the temp gauge to read high, it will also cause the fuel gauge to read high. Good thing I carry an extra gallon with me!

He pulled over to help, because he *knows* he's going to need someone to pull over and help him, at any time. Just paying it forward.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

Not sure if its still the case but when I bought a top loading HE in late 2013 the front loaders had a $150+ premium when compared against a top loader with similar features.

Also for US vs UK/Europe, isn't it fairly common in Europe to have your washer/dryer under a counter in the kitchen or bathroom (in which case a top loader wouldn't work)? In the US the norm is to have a dedicated laundry room or put your washer/dryer in an unfinished part of the basement.
Yeah.

Also, power. We don't run 110V here, as a side effect of which there's no such thing as a "dryer outlet", you just plug them in wherever, which means people site them where they want. Most people will put them in a secondary utility room off the kitchen if they have one, but that's more keeping them out the way and the noise down than any particular need to. I'd only expect to find one in the kitchen proper if you were very tight on space.

Darchangel posted:

He pulled over to help, because he *knows* he's going to need someone to pull over and help him, at any time. Just paying it forward.
Mmm, or this was my karma being cashed in for when I've done so, if you're into that sort of thing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Top loaders are just way less of a pain in the rear end. They seem to break less and are easy to fix.
Also European dryers are vastly inferior to superior American dryers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nm posted:

Top loaders are just way less of a pain in the rear end. They seem to break less and are easy to fix.
Also European dryers are vastly inferior to superior American dryers.

...that are made in China.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Darchangel posted:

Even so (though my maytags were musa), the design is just better.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Darchangel posted:

whirlpool are made here in michigan (though i'm sure all the parts are from china)

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think I remember driving by a big whirlpool factory in Mexico. They are headquartered in MI, but who knows where it actually came from.

E: I think it was in Monterrey

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

monsterzero posted:

Silverado Day two update: Big loving hammer got the ball joint off the knuckle. Heat and a pair of pipe wrenches took care of the inner tie rod.
Proceeding with drilling out the control arm rivets. hosed up a HF 1/2" bit so I bought a pricey carbide bit. Drilled the rivets, smacked them with a cold chisel to remove the heads but I can't drive the fuckers out. More drilling I guess. Hope the bit lasts.

You poor bastard. I bought the arms and the job still kind of sucked.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

You know what's really great after being forced to get up a 3AM for a false alarm? Having to work til 3 PM non-stop, then getting home and finding your house at 90*

Yeah, turns out the disconnect box failed, started throwing off sparks and shorted the transformer. Replaced the transformer and box and called the landlord. Gonna have an electrician out here soon to hopefully replace the breaker, because holy poo poo why didn't it trip. :stonk:

Oh, and then finding the R22 system running at 350 Head pressure. Good think I was planning on building a misting system since half the coil is rotted away anyways. And yes, I'm trying to get the landlord to replace the system, because that compressor is toast. Just a matter of time now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Speed Queen supremacy, made in Wisconsin :smug:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was ogling the Saturn V on display at the Lego store in Chandler yesterday. Isn't that kit pretty much sold out already?

Yes, but lego said they are going to keep making it until at least 2018 so it should be possible to buy them at the regular retail price eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Geoj posted:

HE toploaders without a real agitator are trash. They do a dogshit job of cleaning, but my biggest gripe is that the tub seals seem to fail more often than traditional top loaders, which causes leaks and wipes out the tub bearing pretty much immediately. Those are a giant ball ache to replace.

Replacing a front seal on a front load machine is a cinch, at least on Speed Queens. I can do one in about 15 minutes. I've only seen the tub bearing fail on a Speed Queen front load machine twice. One of them wasn't even a bearing failure really. The aluminum spider assembly on the back of the drum that is attached to the main shaft was eaten away completely and the basket was just sitting in the tub totally disconnected. They apparently used an acidic cleaner for washing mop heads and it ate clean through the aluminum spider assembly, but not the stainless basket or tub.

• Locked thread