Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Dramak posted:

Am I just being a bit dense in reading the Chaos codex or would I have to take Heldrakes in a separate detachment if I wanted to run Death Guard. Trying to workout how to fit my existing chaos with the fantastic Death Guard sculpts in the main box set.

No, they can be in the same detachment since they share common keywords since they're all Chaos, the helldrake just has to take not Death Guard as a legion so can't use benefits from anything that only works on Death Guard models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That cardboard box terrain is so silly.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It can't have the Death Guard keyword, but you can give it the Nurgle and Guardians of Death Keyword and take it in a Heretic Astartes, Nurgle, or Chaos detachment along with Death Guard. It won't get any Death Guard rerolls, though.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
That's also how needle poison sniper rifles work in mechwarrior, and in some cyberpunk stuff. It's a really common thing. Only difference with the mechwarrior one is rather than a poison it use a highly radioactive agent.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

108 shots hitting on 3+, wounding on 2+, against a 6+ save is 50 wounds.
S5 vs. T3 only wounds on a 3+ now. Their fancy bolters will ignore a 6+ save so that'd be 48 wounds. If everything works out statistically. Cover would cut that to 40 and catalyst even further.

Congratulations, it took 1350 points to kill like 150 points of gaunts in one turn. :rip:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

chutche2 posted:

That's also how needle poison sniper rifles work in mechwarrior, and in some cyberpunk stuff. It's a really common thing. Only difference with the mechwarrior one is rather than a poison it use a highly radioactive agent.

That's been the sniper rifle description since at least the Confrontation rules in WD 128, which is Rogue Trader era.

Dramak
May 15, 2013
Thanks!

I can live without the re-rolls for most things. Just want my lovely flying flamers on the board.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Thundercloud posted:

That's been the sniper rifle description since at least the Confrontation rules in WD 128, which is Rogue Trader era.

Mechwarrior predates rogue trader but I don't know how far back radium rifles go in it.

But mechwarrior was basically cyberpunk with mechs back in the day, made by the shadowrun guys. So yeah it sounds ridiculous but it's a genre thing.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Why not just use the laser since it is powerful enough to pierce armour?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Endman posted:

That sounds like some Tech-Heresy right here.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Endman posted:

The idea is it's an extremely focused tiny beam that penetrates well but burning a 1-2mm hole in the side of most things in 40k won't do anything

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Has anyone put chaos marine heads on primaries bods? The new death guard are cool but too mutated to fit in with my chaos boys.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

field balm posted:

Has anyone put chaos marine heads on primaries bods? The new death guard are cool but too mutated to fit in with my chaos boys.

My Warriors of Iron use the old metal Iron Warrior heads. Look pretty nice I think.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

chutche2 posted:

The idea is it's an extremely focused tiny beam that penetrates well but burning a 1-2mm hole in the side of most things in 40k won't do anything

They should use a bigger laser.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Those bolt pistols are so much better looking.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010
Are there any good alternative flying bases for Ghost Arks and Annihilation Barges? I checked Litko, but I'm not sure what sizes they use.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
What are the other Primaris models in the First Strike box? I can see the Reivers, but are the others another trio of Intercessors?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Man the new flying stems they made for the Inceptors (and i'm assuming kharadon overlords) are so atrociously bad. A little hole to poke a stick into would've been perfect, but this stupid cradle is incredibly fragile and hard to pose things on. Seems like a major flaw in an otherwise really impressive release, because all the rest of the models' assembly is really well designed, easy to put together while still retaining detail and being relatively unique.

A week's painting managed to produce a sum total of ten finished models. I'm very proud of my amazing progress, and look forward to possibly finishing the whole set some time before the heat death of the universe.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Texmo posted:

Man the new flying stems they made for the Inceptors (and i'm assuming kharadon overlords) are so atrociously bad. A little hole to poke a stick into would've been perfect, but this stupid cradle is incredibly fragile and hard to pose things on. Seems like a major flaw in an otherwise really impressive release, because all the rest of the models' assembly is really well designed, easy to put together while still retaining detail and being relatively unique.

A week's painting managed to produce a sum total of ten finished models. I'm very proud of my amazing progress, and look forward to possibly finishing the whole set some time before the heat death of the universe.

When I first saw them, I assumed they had a ball on the end and got pretty excited.

Apparently the largest ones they use for the Sigmar Kharadron ships do, so that's a kick in the nuts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My brothers have you heard the good word about magnets?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Those bolt pistols are so much better looking.

They are and they aren't. Between the Mk.X armor, bolt rifles, new dread with knees and these new bolt pistols it looks like GW is slowly giving marines a more high tech, sleeker design and while it doesn't necessarily look bad on it's own merits it's not the rough, bulky, impractical, industrial designs the Imperium is known for.

For example compare the old and new backpacks:

Or the new jump packs:

They almost look like they were made by the tau. I worry about where this is headed.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
So I'm trying to get my tau army in shape after the uh... rebalancing of many units.

Patrol Detachment:

1 commander: 3x plasma rifles, shield generator, 2 gun drones

1 Coldstar commander: double burst cannon, missile launcher, with advanced targeting and shield generator

10 fire warriors with pulse carbines
1 devilfish: 2 seeker missiles

Battalion detachment:

1 commander: 3x missile pod, ATS, 2 marker drones

1 commander: 3x plasma rifles, shield generator, 2 gun drones

1 ethereal

1 crisis squad: 2 with 2x fusion blaster + shield gen, 1 with 1x fusion and 1x flamer, 4 gun drones
OR
1 crisis squad: 3x burst cannon, 6 gun drones

3 min squads of fire warriors
2 missile pod turrets

2 min squads of pathfinders

1 broadside with railgun and 2x plasma rifles, shield gen, seeker missile, 2 marker drones

There's some flexibility there, but I think I'm gonna need Kroots and hounds running around with how quickly people end up in combat.
I can change around the crisis team loadout for anti marine, horde, or tank, depending on who I'm facing, but everything else will stay about the same.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

My brothers have you heard the good word about magnets?

How do they work??

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

The Bee posted:

What are the other Primaris models in the First Strike box? I can see the Reivers, but are the others another trio of Intercessors?

Yup. They are doing 3 boxes of Reivers, Intercessors and Plague Marines and a 6 box of Poxwalkers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Marines sell well...
Tau sells well...

Mar-Tau Marines eminent!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
How the hell are intercessors and hellblasters both 20pts a piece? I realise heavy support Vs troops, but lol if you wouldn't max out on the upgraded plasma guns over bolt 'rifles'. Also lol that hellblaster's power rating is 50% higher.

E: lol sorry, twice the pr

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pidgin Englishman posted:

How the hell are intercessors and hellblasters both 20pts a piece? I realise heavy support Vs troops, but lol if you wouldn't max out on the upgraded plasma guns over bolt 'rifles'. Also lol that hellblaster's power rating is 50% higher.

E: lol sorry, twice the pr
You have to add the points of their weapons too. I think hell blasters wind up at 38 each or something.

The points layout is loving awful.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Senjuro posted:

They are and they aren't. Between the Mk.X armor, bolt rifles, new dread with knees and these new bolt pistols it looks like GW is slowly giving marines a more high tech, sleeker design and while it doesn't necessarily look bad on it's own merits it's not the rough, bulky, impractical, industrial designs the Imperium is known for.

For example compare the old and new backpacks:

Or the new jump packs:

They almost look like they were made by the tau. I worry about where this is headed.

They're supposed to be innovative for the Imperium, and share a lot of design cues with the Admech range. Seeing how they're supposed to be largely designed by Bellisarius Cawl, I dig the Admech stylings from both an aesthetic and lore point of view. I do agree they miss some of that typical Imperial nature - including the baroque nature of a lot of it - but I do like the overall aesthetic.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

That cardboard box terrain is so silly.

Yeah but the mats are pretty cool

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm about to assemble mine and I think I'll keep with the old beakies and backpacks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So are the models in the new starter kits the same as what was sold in Dark Imperium?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So are the models in the new starter kits the same as what was sold in Dark Imperium?

First strike has the new models they just showed off it looks like

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah but the mats are pretty cool

I'm curious about the material/size of them, since the AoS starter ones are little.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The new £50 starter is Dark Imperium minus two sprues and the hardback book.

The new £20 starter is one each of the new Easy Assemble sprues.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Senjuro posted:

Tau plasma doesn't get hot. Now Primaris plasma doesn't get hot unless you nova reactor, I mean overcharge.

The new plasma gun looks like a Tau plasma gun.

There used to be an old rumor that Ultramarines and Tau were battle brothers because of some Emperor thing involving the Tau.

An entire Tau expansion sphere is gone randomly.

No MK9 armor.

Cawl suddenly is able to finish his work.

I call Xenos conspiracy.

By the way, Earthshakers look really good this edition. Also Basilisks can squadron up to 3. Master of Ordinance and Trojans buff artillery. Spearhead detachment exists. Time for an IG firebase army?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

My Warriors of Iron use the old metal Iron Warrior heads. Look pretty nice I think.

I checked out your video, the guy with the horned helmet looks great, like i was imagining. Might grab a few of those dudes off ebay and give it a burl. Old shoulder pads fit the primaris right? Should be easy enough to file off the aquilas i think.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I quickly painted this dude for our first 50pl games

Also those scout guys look like they're wearing space marine high heels lol

Also our club put up two new battle reports, my first games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15G-7_u_Ouo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCQ74qW4U40

muggins fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 26, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thundercloud posted:

The new £50 starter is Dark Imperium minus two sprues and the hardback book.

The new £20 starter is one each of the new Easy Assemble sprues.

Go figure I just bought the Primaris Marines off of eBay for $65. Then again I'd be paying more for models I didn't want.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 26, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone seen multibased tyranids? By that I don't mean a movement tray style, but I mean something like multiple termagants/hormagaunts on a single base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

muggins posted:

Also those scout guys look like they're wearing space marine high heels lol

No kidding the awkward looking legs was the first thing I noticed too.