Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hauki posted:

I used to live in a pretty rural area, and it was quite common to buy like, a quarter of a goat/sheep/cow or something and the dude who owned it would either butcher it him/herself or hire someone to butcher and portion it out based on whatever cuts/amounts his/her friends/family/neighbors wanted. Some people didn't want to deal with that and would only sell literal whole or half animals, and so you'd have to break it down or hire someone yourself and presumably split it up amongst a bunch of people unless you had a giant freezer and a big family. I dunno. Point is, talk to people, there's almost assuredly someone out there willing to sell you some decent meat.

YouTube yo. Scott Rea will reach you everything you want to know about breaking down a piece of meat. I have learned nearly everything useful about meat cutting from his channel. He's a middle aged British butcher that has fully embraced the hipster look, he's nuts and I love him.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheScottReaproject

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davestones
May 7, 2009
I need to make some jerk chicken for a work lunch next month. I've only ever used dried spice powders that you get in the spices rack at the supermarket which don't have much flavour and want to make something more authentic with a bit of a kick. So I'm looking for a spice/paste recipe that anyone would recommend?

I assume bony bits e.g. Leg and thigh would be better than using breast?

Also need to cook some rice to go with it. Was thinking of Hopping John style unless there are any more recommendations that I have never heard of?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

davestones posted:

I need to make some jerk chicken for a work lunch next month. I've only ever used dried spice powders that you get in the spices rack at the supermarket which don't have much flavour and want to make something more authentic with a bit of a kick. So I'm looking for a spice/paste recipe that anyone would recommend?

I assume bony bits e.g. Leg and thigh would be better than using breast?

Also need to cook some rice to go with it. Was thinking of Hopping John style unless there are any more recommendations that I have never heard of?

I've used this recipe from Epicurious with good luck. It's hot but not overpowering, with very rich flavor. The marinade works well whether the chicken is grilled, smoked, or baked.

I don't think the cut of the chicken matters for jerk. Most jerk places buy whole chickens and grill or smoke all the pieces.

I usually make coconut rice with jerk. The local jerk shack makes a rice and beans dish that's kind of like hoppin' john, but it uses basmati rice and coconut.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rice and Peas. It's good poo poo, one of my staples. Recipe's a page or so back.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My parents brought me 2 lb of black raspberries that are about two days from being bad. I'm going to make either a crumble or pie with some. I want to make a reduction or glaze and cook some meat with it too. Suggestions on cut and type?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My parents brought me 2 lb of black raspberries that are about two days from being bad. I'm going to make either a crumble or pie with some. I want to make a reduction or glaze and cook some meat with it too. Suggestions on cut and type?

Pork goes well with raspberries, as does lamb. Pork tenderloin is always good, for lamb I usually go with the leg but chops would work too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Venison goes beautifully with raspberries if you can get it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

People always use a bunch of herbs like parsley, basil, cilantro, etc. in their recipes, but whenever I buy some it always ends up languishing in my crisper until I remember it's there and get grossed out by it. How do people preserve their fresh herbs? Since you have to buy so much of it at a time, I end up with way more than I need.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

People always use a bunch of herbs like parsley, basil, cilantro, etc. in their recipes, but whenever I buy some it always ends up languishing in my crisper until I remember it's there and get grossed out by it. How do people preserve their fresh herbs? Since you have to buy so much of it at a time, I end up with way more than I need.

I think you can store that stuff in a plastic bag that's not closed/zipped shut, in between a couple dampened paper towels.

Rather than mess with that, though, what I do is usually use way more fresh herbs in a recipe than called for, because they're delicious, or alternate find recipes that use a lot of whatever herbs you have left over and make that. Like, too much basil? Make pesto. Too much parsley? Tabbouleh. And so on.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can dry herbs in the microwave.
Wrap a plate with plastic wrap so it's like a little trampoline and lay your herbs in a single layer on top of that. Micro-zap it for 10-15 sec at a time until you feel they are dry enough. Seal in some sort of airtight jar and store.
Or you can freeze them in a flat layer in zipper baggies. Then just break off a chunk when you need it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Some are easier to manage than others. Thyme and sage dry well and can be used dry easily. Basil is best fresh, so I usually grow my own. Cilantro is cheap AF here so I just always have some around, same with parsley. One caveat to my method, however, is that we have bunnies, and they eat basil, cilantro, and parsley so we have a weekly turnover of all three in the house.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Unless it's for a garnish, I freeze quite a lot of herbs and they're good

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
The trick I hear for parsley and cilantro is to trim the bottom stems just a little bit and then stand them in a tall glass with an inch of water, cover the leaves loosely with a plastic bag (I use a sandwich bag), then put it in your fridge (make sure it won't get knocked over). I think this works with green onions too, but don't trim the roots. They won't store like this indefinitely, but you can get another week or so out of them.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

DasNeonLicht posted:

The trick I hear for parsley and cilantro is to trim the bottom stems just a little bit and then stand them in a tall glass with an inch of water, cover the leaves loosely with a plastic bag (I use a sandwich bag), then put it in your fridge (make sure it won't get knocked over). I think this works with green onions too, but don't trim the roots. They won't store like this indefinitely, but you can get another week or so out of them.

This definitley works-I typically get a couple of weeks from cilantro and parsley this way.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

DasNeonLicht posted:

This works 100%. I used to only get a few days out of cilantro or parsley but now I can easily push past a few weeks with them.

Kenji tipped me off to using 1qt food containers, like the kind you get when you buy soup from a chinese takeout place. It's way easier since it's reusable and avoids spills (I've knocked over a bagged container before).

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wrong thread

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 26, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Teeter posted:

This works 100%. I used to only get a few days out of cilantro or parsley but now I can easily push past a few weeks with them.

Kenji tipped me off to using 1qt food containers, like the kind you get when you buy soup from a chinese takeout place. It's way easier since it's reusable and avoids spills (I've knocked over a bagged container before).

If you can, get the freezer-safe kind, and get pint ones too. They're tough enough to be a very handy do-everything container.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Thumposaurus posted:

Or you can freeze them in a flat layer in zipper baggies. Then just break off a chunk when you need it.

Put how ever much you think is a serve into ice cube trays and top with water. Drop how ever many cubes you need for a dish into it. Saves having to break off what could amount to uneven chunks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bogan King posted:

Put how ever much you think is a serve into ice cube trays and top with water. Drop how ever many cubes you need for a dish into it. Saves having to break off what could amount to uneven chunks.

I really like this idea for some reason. Sounds good to me, I was always under the impression that things like vegetables and herbs can never be frozen - or at least, when I tried, the vegetables would always end up wilted and soggy and gross.

I've been slow cooking small roasts of pork and pulling it apart to make lovely carnitas/faux pulled pork. Are you supposed to mix the liquid that cooks out of the roast into the pork, or leave it out and save it? I feel like the pork tends to be a little dry otherwise, but it looks like poo poo when I try to mix it in. I've also tried broiling the pork once its pulled, but it often ends up losing its juice and getting weirdly crunchy when I do.

Edit: Also, there's always parts of the roast that end up way juicier and delectable than other parts, and I have yet to figure out why. It always ends up being the "darker" meat that's tastier, I guess.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 27, 2017

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What non-tomato and low-fat sauces are there that I can use on pasta/rice/eggs? Am I limited to pesto and low fat alfredo sauces? I'm also cool with going sauce-less on the rice (Adas Polo style), but it gets boring after a while.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
butter and parmesan or olive oil and parmesan? broccoli di rabe, bits of pancetta?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I made this cucumber and mint salad the other day because it has been hotter than balls. Tonight I was wondering, instead of soaking the red onion what if just shallot? In your opinion what's the main flavor difference between shallots and red onions, ignoring how much 'bite' they have?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

What non-tomato and low-fat sauces are there that I can use on pasta/rice/eggs? Am I limited to pesto and low fat alfredo sauces? I'm also cool with going sauce-less on the rice (Adas Polo style), but it gets boring after a while.

For pasta, I've made black beans spiced like Cincinnati chili and pasta and it was pretty good. Chili, cinnamon, cumin and probably other things I'm forgetting and was too lazy to use. I think cooking with the spices is the way to go - cook the beans until they burst and thicken the bean juice so it coats the pasta better. There's other pasta & bean dishes too such as pasta e fagioli, but those tend to be more soupy.

There's more options for rice. Bibimbap is a good choice and can be fat free, I think I discussed that earlier. Then there's stuff like oyakodon which is sliced onions and chicken simmered in a soy sauce broth, then cooking egg in the broth and serving over rice. I've had a Burmese egg curry before and it was pretty good, but sometimes curry sauces can hide quite a bit of fat so be wary if you're watching that.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Eeyo posted:

For pasta, I've made black beans spiced like Cincinnati chili and pasta and it was pretty good. Chili, cinnamon, cumin and probably other things I'm forgetting and was too lazy to use. I think cooking with the spices is the way to go - cook the beans until they burst and thicken the bean juice so it coats the pasta better. There's other pasta & bean dishes too such as pasta e fagioli, but those tend to be more soupy.

There's more options for rice. Bibimbap is a good choice and can be fat free, I think I discussed that earlier. Then there's stuff like oyakodon which is sliced onions and chicken simmered in a soy sauce broth, then cooking egg in the broth and serving over rice. I've had a Burmese egg curry before and it was pretty good, but sometimes curry sauces can hide quite a bit of fat so be wary if you're watching that.

Thanks, I'll look into this,

hakimashou posted:

butter and parmesan or olive oil and parmesan? broccoli di rabe, bits of pancetta?

and this.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Decided on making brownies, cookies and blueberry muffins for a lady friend of mine. She's honestly been the best recently, and has had my back for this past year. I wanted to thank her by blowing her mind with the most delicious baked goods imaginable. My biggest fear is all this turning out like crap: I promised her I'd drop them off today in the evening.

The three recipes I've settled on are: cookies, brownies and can't decide between these muffins, without the topping and these muffins

Can you guys give the recipes a once over and tell me if they're winner winner chicken dinners, or if there's better recipes out there that you'd recommend?

Update: That being said, I just stumbled upon this recipe for cookies and now I don't know whether to do the ones I originally picked, or these ones. I don't wanna be overkill as I'll have more baked goods than I know what to do with I'll do both since I can dump all the excess cookies and poo poo with my next door neighbours who I adore, and they just got back from holiday so it'll be a nice homecoming gift.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 27, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
These are the best cookies I've ever made:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/the-food-lab-best-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe.html

This isn't really cooking advice, but this is a hell of a lot of sweet, baked stuff, way more than one or two people could possibly eat. The brownies and cookies will keep, but in my experience muffins don't last longer than a day or two before they go a bit meh.

Maybe it would be an idea to swap out one of the things with wine or flowers or a card or something? Or maybe bake something savoury instead of one of the options?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wine or flowers I'll pass on, what kinda savoury stuff could I bake? I also agree it's probably way too many sweet things. I might just go cookes + brownies, but I figured a few blueberry muffins would be super "wow, great job, keep it up" style. And like I said, if I've got far too much to humanly eat, I'll just chuck a bunch of excess at my neighbours under the guise of it being me making it purely for their benefit.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
As someone who used to pig out a lot on sweet food, it's not so much that there's too much to eat, more that too much sweet stuff kind of ruins things. Like, imagine you eat the Nicest Blueberry Muffin Ever, it tastes great, and you're super happy. Now imagine you eat it just after eating 2 chocolate chip cookies and some absurdly rich chocolate brownie, now your brain's just going "SWEET SWEET SWEET" and even the nicest muffin is gonna taste a bit sickly and ugh. You need something to cut through the sweetness, something sour or salty.

Anyways, perhaps something like this:

http://www.recipetineats.com/spinach-ricotta-puffs/

It's quite straightforward compared to the other recipes, it's quick to make, it's (sort of) healthy and it's salty so it'll be a good contrast to the sweet things.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah that's a drat good point. Ah, I'm just hoping she appreciates the gesture more than anything, and gives all the extra she can't manage to friends or family. I'll definitely make those pastries for myself though, probably another day.

I just want her to know I appreciate her existence, and nothing says it better than a plate full of sweet poo poo.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
There's no denying that. I hope it goes well!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What is a good meatball recipe?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

There's no denying that. I hope it goes well!

Cheers for all your help man.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What is a good meatball recipe?

I like ATK's meatballs, assuming you want spaghetti and meatballs and not swedish meatballs

Meatballs
2 slices white bread(crusts discarded), torn into small cubes
1/2 cup buttermilk or 6 tablespoons plain yogurt thinned with 2 tablespoons sweet milk
3/4 pound ground beef ( or 1 pound if omitting ground pork below)
1/4 pound ground pork (to be mixed with ground chuck)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
1 large egg yolk
1 small clove garlic , minced (1 teaspoon)
3/4 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for pan-frying

For the meatballs:
Combine bread and buttermilk in small bowl, mashing occasionally with fork, until smooth paste forms.
Mix all meatball ingredients, including bread mixture and pepper in medium bowl. Lightly form 2 tablespoons of mixture into 1 1/2-inch round meatballs; repeat with remaining mixture to form approximately 18-20 meatballs. (Compacting them can make the meatballs dense and hard. Can be placed on large plate, covered loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerated for several hours.)
Meanwhile, heat about two to three tablespoons vegetable oil over medium-high heat in 10- or 11-inch non stick saute pan. When edge of meatball dipped in oil sizzles, add meatballs in single layer. Fry, turning several times, until nicely browned on all sides, about 10 minutes, regulating heat as needed to keep oil sizzling but not smoking. Transfer browned meatballs to paper towel–lined plate; set aside. Repeat, if necessary, with remaining meatballs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, I have this sitting in my fridge defrosted:

(Don't ask, my mom stuffed it in our freezer the last time she visited. The butter knife is there for a size illustration.)

What the hell can I do with this tough piece of crap for dinner? No sous-vide setup, but I do have a slow cooker.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

barbacoa. Not the best with round but serviceable.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My go to is to beat the ever-loving poo poo out it with the pointy side of the meat mallet, and then soak in soy sauce and vinegar for a few hours.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Squashy Nipples posted:

My go to is to beat the ever-loving poo poo out it with the pointy side of the meat mallet, and then soak in soy sauce and vinegar for a few hours.

Beat the gently caress out of it and then bread it and make chicken fried steak

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I've used dark muscovado for dark brown sugar in my cookies, it should be alright, yeah? Cause this mix is smelling awfully sugary, like sickly sweet sugary. I'm worried dark muscovado was maybe too strong a sugar to use for dark brown? It's the stuff my mum used to sprinkle in tiny quantities over our hot porridge for breakfast, and it was super sweet. The recipe called for 198g of Dark Sugar, and 99g of granulated (I used golden caster sugar for this)...

Update: Yup, cookies turned out like cardboard. Knew that sugar was fucky when I put it in. It was dry as gently caress when it was meant to be chewy, and I'm 100% sure it's cause of the muscovado sugar.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 27, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
How do I make peppers impart their capsaicin to the rest of the dish? I stewed some serranos with chicken thighs last night and unless you ate the peppers directly you'd never know they were there. If I were frying rice or meatballs with habanero, would it also not be spicy unless you got the pepper? Is this just a matter of not using enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How did you slice them?

Most of the heat is in the stuff that attaches the seeds.