Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thats probably a super paranoid take but i mean...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

Oblivion Character look-a-like for president!

friend, i will NOt be voting for bill mitchell

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

anime was right posted:

thats probably a super paranoid take but i mean...

them dishonestly opposing singlepayer like this at least makes it obvious they care about being a part of the dem establishment more than they care about access to healthcare for women.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Remember when everyone poo poo on Bernie for saying that PP was establishment?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Condiv posted:

them dishonestly opposing singlepayer like this at least makes it obvious they care about being a part of the dem establishment more than they care about access to healthcare for women.

iron law of institutions strikes again

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i still laugh at that infographic someone at PP's PAC whipped up that essentially boiled down to "Bernie: Sponsored some poo poo, we guess; Hillary: *detailed listing of any PP-related thing she even so much as looked at*"

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Willa Rogers posted:

there are a few things in play here: the CO single-payer initiative was held the same time as the presidential election, and CO elected dems + "progressive" groups circled the wagon against the initiative; PP throws itself in with bad dems all the time, hence its endorsement of clinton in the primaries; bad dems love themselves some agenda-setting when it serves their needs; and like someone pointed out, with a full-out single-payer system PP would lose its relevance, especially when it comes to the vast majority of its services (hint: not abortions).

granted, the CO initiative never polled well and lost by a landslide, but to what extent that was due to elected pols of both parties (and "progressive" groups) and the local media opposing it, the insurance industry waging a multi-million-dollar ad campaign against it, or the particulars of this legislation is hard to determine.

but it makes me insane when I see lanyards dismiss federal single-payer or legislation like CA's by saying "if people wanted single-payer then the CO initiative wouldn't have failed" or "Vermont tried it and it failed" (no, the dem governor killed it after running for reelection on it, but it was never "tried").

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
I'm pretty sure Hillary has planned some parenthoods, that's for sure.

:tinfoil:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sun-blazing take: support single payer but also making PP a government institution with additional funding

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Like I made it a point to separate PP from it's PAC in that case but supporting CA's single-payer bill being killed is just lovely as gently caress

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

anime was right posted:

sun-blazing take: support single payer but also making PP a government institution with additional funding

that's two things.

we're a one thing party.

the one thing is losing

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/PPact/status/878806170533810176

disgusting. if these assholes are so worried about premiums they wouldn't be supporting keeping them high in california

if they're so concerned about women having good access to healthcare, they'd be clamoring for the singlepayer bill to be given a chance

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Joementum posted:

iron law of institutions strikes again

I just googled this phrase to figure out who came up with it (having seen it from Freddie DeBoer). Check out the first result, from RationalWiki:

quote:

One problem with the "law" is that it sounds good and makes sense of the world for people, but it's pretty much not falsifiable.

[…]

See also

All non-suicidal political parties.
Game theory

lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
instead of threatening planned parenthoods survival instead empower them to be the stopgap where the government may fall short and give them additional government funding, but make it contingent on single payer passing. otherwise they can remain as-is.

win-win

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

none of us are threatening their survival

in fact it appears to be quite the opposite, which is hosed up

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

anime was right posted:

instead of threatening planned parenthoods survival instead empower them to be the stopgap where the government may fall short and give them additional government funding, but make it contingent on single payer passing. otherwise they can remain as-is.

win-win
But money is value and if you devalue planned parenthood you hate women.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
Yeah, I was under the impression that PP would likely receive more in funding via single-payer system.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
you would think the rational wiki people would like the iron law of institutions seeing as it's a restatement of Jerry Pournelle's iron law of bureaucracy which itself is just a stolen version of Michels iron law of oligopoly

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ironstache of Institutions

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PP's primary endorsement is particularly galling bc prior to last year, they'd never made a dem primary endorsement, and chose to die on this particular Hill:

of course, they had absolutely nothing to say about Bob Casey holding a spot on Clinton's campaign committee, nor about her choosing Tim "Choose Life" Kaine as her veep.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Subjunctivitis posted:

Yeah, I was under the impression that PP would likely receive more in funding via single-payer system.

it would but the people in charge of these organizations are all lawyers, doctors and other six figure professionals who are ideologically opposed to single payer healthcare

see also: human rights watch scuttling the Colombian peace deal

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willa Rogers posted:

PP's primary endorsement is particularly galling bc prior to last year, they'd never made a dem primary endorsement, and chose to die on this particular Hill:

of course, they had absolutely nothing to say about Bob Casey holding a spot on Clinton's campaign committee, nor about her choosing Tim "Choose Life" Kaine as her veep.

ya im just genuinely trying to figure out why they're doing this stuff, its weird

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Hillary: "Abortion is icky, but let's keep it safe and rare."

Bernie: "Abortion is a human right."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
you will all be shocked to learn that PP gave $740k to Ossoff's campaign

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

anime was right posted:

ya im just genuinely trying to figure out why they're doing this stuff, its weird

Because like all 501(c)(3) organizations, they're a scummy slush fund?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Willa Rogers posted:

Hillary: "Abortion is icky, but let's keep it safe and rare."

Bernie: "Abortion is a human right."
To be fair most human things are icky.

Have you seen what they do with their food?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Too many old and rusty iron laws. We need metaphorical steel laws, aluminum laws, titanium laws and nylon laws.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

rudatron posted:

Too many old and rusty iron laws. We need metaphorical steel laws, aluminum laws, titanium laws and nylon laws.

carbon nanotube laws to elevate us all the way to space

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol, cecile richards' daughter worked for tim kaine, then for the clinton campaign.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Joementum posted:

you would think the rational wiki people would like the iron law of institutions seeing as it's a restatement of Jerry Pournelle's iron law of bureaucracy which itself is just a stolen version of Michels iron law of oligopoly

I new about the second but not the third

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
"being pro-choice is not being pro-abortion"

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Zoran posted:

carbon nanotube laws to elevate us all the way to space
Yeah but that's what gets you Gunnm style space robot tournaments that get interrupted by a vampire's backflash for months.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/RoseAnnDeMoro/status/879012378108510208

from that article, apparently rendon sees singlepayer as a 2018 ballot issue

gently caress him and gently caress that. he has the votes for singlepayer now and instead he wants to dangle it in front of voters so he can get more votes. then he'll block it again anyway

i loving hate the democrats so much right now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Joementum posted:

you will all be shocked to learn that PP gave $740k to Ossoff's campaign

Bad dem organizations are pretty bipolar, going after Bernie but then giving actual money to guy who is pro-choice.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

etalian posted:

Bad dem organizations are pretty bipolar, going after Bernie but then giving actual money to guy who is pro-choice.

Ossoff is pro-choice?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Lessail posted:

"being pro-choice is not being pro-abortion"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anime was right posted:

uh i just realized, maybe this is why PP, despite having a 100% record for both bernie and hillary, endorsed hillary so brazenly :stare:

i really hope thats not true, bc everyone deserves free access to birth control and contraceptives no matter what

the people that make salaries in PP would be endangered by single payer.

the reason why planned parenthood endorsed hillary is that going against hillary would have gotten you put on the enemies spreadsheet

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

since we're posting songs. https://youtu.be/J_hhy_3LJlY

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Woah I've already found footage of Zuckerberg debate prep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOVJsTc_HMU

this should be matrix program loading

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Horseshoe theory posted:

Ossoff is pro-choice?

he was, but in a genius move to appeal to romney voters buried it on his website and never talked about it or any other issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

he was, but in a genius move to appeal to romney voters buried it on his website and never talked about it or any other issue

why didn't the voters understand how badly we needed to come together and cut government services

• Locked thread