Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

drrockso20 posted:

Bokurano is just one of those series that would be almost impossible to adapt for a bunch of reasons

Which reasons, though? They did Ideon and Yamato, and Tekkaman is grim as poo poo; I could see where you'd have to play things differently (like make Zearth not usable in every battle?) but it doesn't seem impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only thing that prevents a series from being in srw is a licencing issue

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanos posted:

It does, and it actually costs less EN in normal ZZ form because the FA ZZ is balanced around being purged for the EN recovery.

Neato. Also cool guy Full Frontal is a really neat addition and I can't believe this game also manages to end the Unicorn story better than Unicorn did.

Good Dumplings posted:

Which reasons, though? They did Ideon and Yamato, and Tekkaman is grim as poo poo; I could see where you'd have to play things differently (like make Zearth not usable in every battle?) but it doesn't seem impossible.

It seems like it'd be a bit annoying with the rotating cast of pilots. But I'm guessing if it ever was in an SRW there would be some way to insert it in as a permanent team member, or otherwise get an upgraded form, without all of the pilots dying.

Tae posted:

The only thing that prevents a series from being in srw is a licencing issue

I was going to say "Also popularity" but then remembered J featured Layzner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

licensing issues, and whether or not the staff care about it. stuff like layzner gets in because the staff are a bunch of old mecha nerds, but we never really get the early 2000s equivalents to shows like Layzner, like Lagrange. I do kind of get the need to represent a broad range of eras, so when they're putting in newer stuff like Cross Ange and Yamato 2199 they need to put in older stuff like zambot too, but at the same time I think they've pretty much milked the '80s/90s show that nobody cares about anymore' well dry so it'd be neat to see them move onto, iunno, Xam'd.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I await the day that Argevollen makes its proud SRW debut and then is never seen or heard of ever again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I await the day that Argevollen makes its proud SRW debut and then is never seen or heard of ever again.
put in m3 so i have an excuse to listen to that ed again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cxeVpViRQs

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

A show so bland and utterly forgettable that I watched most of it and I still barely recognized which series you were referring to.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They have a billion zoids, Betterman, uh...Jinki?

The 2000's has also been kinda milked for most of its IPs.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Nuebot posted:

It seems like it'd be a bit annoying with the rotating cast of pilots. But I'm guessing if it ever was in an SRW there would be some way to insert it in as a permanent team member, or otherwise get an upgraded form, without all of the pilots dying.

Hey, half the pilots die in Fafner and that made it in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

They have a billion zoids, Betterman, uh...Jinki?

The 2000's has also been kinda milked for most of its IPs.
mostly the early-mid 2000s. Meanwhile they haven't even put in G-Reco yet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

G-Reco is the 2010's

Yes, it's almost 2020

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Nuebot posted:

I went with additional slots so I could make him move more. My current strategy is to make him book it across the map, nuke a dude then hide back in a ship until his EN is ready while everyone else mops up. He's already a double ace so I don't want him taking all the kills.

The FAZZ purge is super useful for that! The Gravity Wave Antennae solve all energy problems (unless the problem requires infinite energy in a single turn). Sometimes the biggest challenge in SRW is not getting all the kills with one guy. I'm doing Z3 right now and want to show off as much pre-fight dialogue as possible but its so easy to have Noriko 1 turn every stage. Gotta spread them bops around for Ace conversations!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

The FAZZ purge is super useful for that! The Gravity Wave Antennae solve all energy problems (unless the problem requires infinite energy in a single turn). Sometimes the biggest challenge in SRW is not getting all the kills with one guy. I'm doing Z3 right now and want to show off as much pre-fight dialogue as possible but its so easy to have Noriko 1 turn every stage. Gotta spread them bops around for Ace conversations!

I remember when I was doing Z2 and literally had to reset on some occasions just to have room to cap prebattles with bosses, without even using any special damage boosts like Valor. Granted, Z2 isn't even the hardest SRW, but it's really not built for an enemy to absorb your entire army's damage output most of the time.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Caphi posted:

I remember when I was doing Z2 and literally had to reset on some occasions just to have room to cap prebattles with bosses, without even using any special damage boosts like Valor. Granted, Z2 isn't even the hardest SRW, but it's really not built for an enemy to absorb your entire army's damage output most of the time.

I guess that's one of the benefits for older games. More time for dialogue.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's not like I'd necessarily want to have to go through 25 combats to take out a boss, though. I have OG for that. Dialogue is nice but if I want to see all of it I'll reload.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Allowing pilots from other series to control Zearth would be a good use for ZZ Gundam's supporting cast.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You could balance Zearth being powerful by having it's pilot revert to first level at the start of every map.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Caphi posted:

Hey, half the pilots die in Fafner and that made it in.

There's a difference there, with Fafner most of those deaths are avoidable in a SRW context, while for Bokurano, well just piloting Zearth will kill the pilot, not to mention there's not really any way to faithfully pull off that show's plot in SRW without causing an absolutely ridiculous tonal clash that would be almost impossible to write around

Plus it's not like Zearth would actually be anything interesting to use as a unit, from what I remember the ugly bastard is barely mobile as it is

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah, Gravity Wave is good but I don't always have the Nadesico available. Or does anyone else do the gravity wave thing?

drrockso20 posted:

There's a difference there, with Fafner most of those deaths are avoidable in a SRW context, while for Bokurano, well just piloting Zearth will kill the pilot, not to mention there's not really any way to faithfully pull off that show's plot in SRW without causing an absolutely ridiculous tonal clash that would be almost impossible to write around

Plus it's not like Zearth would actually be anything interesting to use as a unit, from what I remember the ugly bastard is barely mobile as it is

Wasn't the big reveal that the whole alt-dimensional fight thing was just entertainment for some kind of space god? That's pretty easy set up for an SRW game.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Wait, Bokurano was the current Dragonball arc?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Nuebot posted:

Yeah, Gravity Wave is good but I don't always have the Nadesico available. Or does anyone else do the gravity wave thing?

The energy refill consumable is the second best thing after the Gravity Wave/Hyper Generator. There's not much else that gives you +250 energy and most passive regen items will take way too long to give you that much. Its real boring though!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

The energy refill consumable is the second best thing after the Gravity Wave/Hyper Generator. There's not much else that gives you +250 energy and most passive regen items will take way too long to give you that much. Its real boring though!

Yeah I'll probably just start dumping the armor instead. I'm getting pretty close to the end of the game though, stage 39 and I think this is where I get eva 13 and Mazinger Zero?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Don't forget that any purgable armor parts gives an extra life to the unit. If the FAZZ is shot down, the ZZ respawns in its place with full everything.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Wasn't the big reveal that the whole alt-dimensional fight thing was just entertainment for some kind of space god? That's pretty easy set up for an SRW game.

That was the anime. In the manga it just a weird naturally occurring thing to pare down universes.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Just started Alpha 2, any tips? I know size is broken (or maybe you could say it works too well) so I should focus on big guys in the long run, but other than that I'm going in blind. I'm doing Kusuha's route, if that helps.

(And drat Mazinger starts weak. I'm used to him soaking and dealing good damage but in the first stage the mooks hit him harder than he hits them. Bizarre.)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Pump attack stats to soothe the HP bloat.

X-O series debut: Rinne no Lagrane.

Yeah.

(Returners: Cross Ange and Seed Astray. Yeah)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

please put lagrange in a mainline game

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is there any game in the SRW series where 'stomp everybody with the Supers' isn't the best thing to do?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Is there any game in the SRW series where 'stomp everybody with the Supers' isn't the best thing to do?

Super Robot Wars Neo.

It has a completely different (and IMO better) set of mechanics that own super hard.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

In Alpha 1 all (most?) of the reals get act twice by the end and that was like whoa to me at the time.

edit: oh huh, super pilots get that too but at levels 80-90, a higher level than any of my pilots are ever at when I finish a SRW game, so I didn't know.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 27, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

There are times in SRW3 where Supers felt outclassed by Reals to me. SRW3 is weird in general though when it comes to balance.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
[quote="Davzz" post=""473806944"]

X-O series debut: Rinne no Lagrane.

Yeah.

(Returners: Cross Ange and Seed Astray. Yeah)
[/quote]

How is X-O? Is it fun to play without spending anything or is it one where you need to gamble?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Getsuya posted:

How is X-O? Is it fun to play without spending anything or is it one where you need to gamble?
I found it extremely boring across the board...but that was a long time ago and I gave it about as much attention as any other f2p mobile game (maybe an hour?)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Whatever game Big O debuted in was also terrible for Supers. Armour basically didn't work. A Portable is rough on them too because nobody can hit anything and Supers tend to be a size larger than most enemies so they have an even lower chance of doing anything. Supers are generally easy mode, but the difference in actual unit strength is basically nonexistent in modern SRW.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Super Robot Wars Neo.
Isn't everybody in Neo a Super by default?

ChrisBTY posted:

Alpha 1, A Portable, D has all been listed. Though I think Reals only outshine Supers with favored upgrades - on NURs, you can really feel that lack of damage.

Real Balance are rather iffy due to the way Evasion as damage mitigation scales - also I think they've taken some serious hits in modern games for no real reason.

The first big hit is probably introducing Evasion Decay - I do think this is a good change because there really should never be a scenario where you can hit 0% and be completely unhittable, but it really makes them a lot less consistent survival-wise compared to Supers.

Second big hit is probably the nerf of Soul's multiplier from 2.5 to 2.2. It used to be Reals compensate for their general smaller size and lower Base Attack Power by being able to burst with Soul

And I guess this hasn't happened for a long time but the balance decision of Reals being good for "long-battles" because of better EN/Ammo efficiency while Supers chug them like an SUV... well, they don't design units like that anymore.

So you add them all together and it's really hard to justify using Reals from a pure gameplay perspective. Realistically this is SRW so people are just gonna use Gundams because they like them.

I think OG is a bit more balanced because for some reason, it still doesn't use Size Modifiers for anything other than Hit Rate modifiers, so smaller units

Getsuya posted:

Nope! I think literally everyone plays it with some kind of cheat mods because it's just so bad with free units. One of the streams was kinda hilarious because the producer was responding to that criticism and he was all "No you can beat a lot of the game with just free units, I'll show you on the live stream!" and he had to kowtow after failing to do so.

Only play if you want to read the plot - incidentally, I hope someone out there is archiving those because it would be kinda sad if that gets lost when the game eventually ends in the future.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davzz posted:

Isn't everybody in Neo a Super by default?

The Iron Leaguers are literally military AI robots, they just are trying to change themselves by playing sports.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Davzz posted:

Only play if you want to read the plot - incidentally, I hope someone out there is archiving those because it would be kinda sad if that gets lost when the game eventually ends in the future.

Dunno if all of them are in (probably not), but there are plenty of XO's missions transcribed over here. This annoys me to no end, mind, because it's derailing him from reaching actually interesting games like UX! :argh:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

The Iron Leaguers are literally military AI robots, they just are trying to change themselves by playing sports.

That's a surprisingly fascinating idea for a series. How deep does Neo go with that concept?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

That's a surprisingly fascinating idea for a series. How deep does Neo go with that concept?

I will unironically say that Iron Leaguer is one of my favorite anime series. It has a slow burn (the reveal of the true purpose of the Iron Leaguers isn't until midway through the series for example) but it is extremely good at what it tries to do and has a well-developed cast who all manage to get time in the sun and the final 'battle' in the series is one of my absolute favorite in any anime ever and I could rant for days about how good it is.

Neo unfortunately only adapts a single arc involving Magnum Ace and Mach Windy trying to save the Gold Brothers and ties it into DG Cell stuff. I can't blame them because the arc they adapt is the only one that really easily fits into SRW because most of the other arcs do indeed resolve things via sports and it's a plot point that the Silver Castle team prefers clean play and actually playing sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Yeah, I've been told that NEO doesn't really do much with Iron Leaguer plot-wise.

Come to think of it, I think really only Lamune and Ryu Knight got much detail at all. It was really more of a gameplay game IMO.

• Locked thread