Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

business hammocks posted:

Something like 50% of 15-year-olds report feeling both heterosexual and same-sex sexual desire and say that the best definition of them is neither straight or gay. They're also majority-not white. The future will not be like the past.

I have a hard time believing half of 15 year old dudes want to bone other dudes.

Edit

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Faustian Bargain posted:

FYGM in physical form.

Not so much FYGM as-

I'll be given what I need, by strangers, to save me from a lifetime of paralysis - the rest of you need to get a job with benefits becau

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
While I think the growth of the alt-right and all is a real thing, keep in mind we're a bunch of weirdo Something Awful goons who are kinda connected to it in a roundabout way and pay much more attention to it. I have no idea what 15 year olds are consuming, probably Steven Universe, and the amount of cultural power that alone wields compared to the alt-right is fairly enormous.

Speaking of the alt-right, I was watching the D.C. rally earlier and it's something how half-assed and shallow it is. The speakers, while they definitely believe in the whole hog, just seem really low energy and gassed out. Some of them can appear pretty threatening though, so I don't want to minimize it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

spunkshui posted:

I have a hard time believing half of 15 year old dudes want to bone other dudes.

The question was something like "have you ever felt sexually attracted to someone of the same sex" and not "are you bi," as far as I know. So the takeaway is that kids these days are unwilling (when able to be anonymous) to identify as either exclusively straight or gay. For millennials it was like 20%. Boomers are like 10%.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

spunkshui posted:

It's probably a gross exaggeration that 50% of 15 year olds wanna gently caress other dudes, but a good chunk of them do, and a wider chunk at least can find dudes kinda attractive and recognize some degree of same sex attraction short of wanting to sex them.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
My current theory about the GOP healthcare plan is that they want to pass it ASAP not because they think nobody will notice the outcome eventually, but because they think doing it quietly will make it easier for Trump to take all the credit for it and thus become their easy fall-guy for the extremely damaging and unpopular policy they put forward. The dude has enough scandals and is already violating the emoluments clause, so if they stick enough of their garbage onto him, they think they can dump him and all the political damage with it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They're just ghouls who only care about winning.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Covok posted:

That is why we must be sure that the first words every baby hears from this day onwards is that Trump's presidency was a dumpster fire.

I will gladly carry that torch to ensure the prosperity of our future generations.

Reagan was loved at the time by many democrats as well as republicans because he gave them a message of prosperity and optimism that seemed like a way out of the malaise of the 70s. (White) people genuinely liked him and agreed with his Milton-Friedman economic message. He was a disaster but always seen as great.

I never said he wasn't popular, I said he was a buffoon that enacted terrible policies and was plagued with scandal. Trump is still pretty drat popular with Republicans, even if he doesn't have the charm Reagan did to appeal to Democrats. Reagan had 138 members of his administration be investigated, indicted, or convicted. He had Iran-Contra, EPA scandals, lobbying scandals, Wedtech, and many, many more.

He had enough charisma that the public never turned on him like they should have. Trump does not have this ability and is probably viscerally hated by at least 1/3 of the entire U.S. population, which almost never happens for Republican presidents. Probably because visceral hatred is pretty much only promoted by Republicans towards Democrats.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

My current theory about the GOP healthcare plan is that they want to pass it ASAP not because they think nobody will notice the outcome eventually, but because they think doing it quietly will make it easier for Trump to take all the credit for it and thus become their easy fall-guy for the extremely damaging and unpopular policy they put forward. The dude has enough scandals and is already violating the emoluments clause, so if they stick enough of their garbage onto him, they think they can dump him and all the political damage with it.

They're not this machiavellian - they just want a "win" and enough of them have convinced themselves it's good policy that they wanna do it.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

It's probably a gross exaggeration that 50% of 15 year olds wanna gently caress other dudes, but a good chunk of them do, and a wider chunk at least can find dudes kinda attractive and recognize some degree of same sex attraction short of wanting to sex them.

Its just such a big leap from "I know that dudes good looking" to getting any amount of erection.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

They're just ghouls who only care about winning.

Yeah. I'd hesitate ascribing devious stratagems beyond "our party is strong, let's destroy entitlements and gently caress the consequences, our enemy is weak and can't stop us now or in the future".

It's pretty much a conservative blitzkrieg, and the question is whether the Democrats/liberals are 1940 France and fold or 1942 Russia and holding strong/counter-attacking.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JosefStalinator posted:

They're not this machiavellian - they just want a "win" and enough of them have convinced themselves it's good policy that they wanna do it.

They also need budget "savings" to fund their tax reform and other agenda items.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

While I think the growth of the alt-right and all is a real thing, keep in mind we're a bunch of weirdo Something Awful goons who are kinda connected to it in a roundabout way and pay much more attention to it. I have no idea what 15 year olds are consuming, probably Steven Universe, and the amount of cultural power that alone wields compared to the alt-right is fairly enormous.

The 15 year olds are fine. Keep in mind younger generations are much more hardcore consumers of social media, so they tend to be connected to and aware of what is going on politically, AND they tend to be quite vocal about what they think.

For instance, there was a story a few weeks ago where a bunch of high school kids refused to participate in a photo op with Paul Ryan, then called him out for his BS on Twitter afterwards.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think they will also find that the more they tighten their grip, the more star systems(children) will slip though their fingers.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

spunkshui posted:

Its just such a big leap from "I know that dudes good looking" to getting any amount of erection.

In a choice between binding themselves to a specific sexuality or not doing so, why would that leap matter? If there's a gray area at all, doesn't it make sense to avoid labeling yourself until you've had enough life experience to definitively know (if that ever comes anyway)?

Maybe the acceptance of non-binary sexuality thinking allows a more considered approach to this than in generations past where you were either normal or a fag.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
reply is not quote! :rolleye:

brutalistmcdonalds posted:

Speaking of the alt-right, I was watching the D.C. rally earlier and it's something how half-assed and shallow it is. The speakers, while they definitely believe in the whole hog, just seem really low energy and gassed out. Some of them can appear pretty threatening though, so I don't want to minimize it.

I at least, am not so worried about 15 year olds being indoctrinated. A teenager could be, I'm an optimist and believe they are still in the formative stages of their life, and will hopefully hear contrasting views. Adults, however command authority, people will listen to them, even if it is illogical so long as it is what they want to hear. I don't mean to sound BOTH SIDES LOL but that's exactly how it happened (2016). Appealing to a person's tribal id has worked, rather demonstrably lately. Quite well upon the uninformed, who let's be honest, are sizable chunk of America. I am worried more about the Richard Spencer types.

Low-energy and gassed out, I don't think is as important as the fact that there is someone out there in D.C. with the balls to get behind a microphone with confidence, energy or otherwise. I mean, a low energy orator can catalyze a whole knot of high energy zealots who believe thier cause now has a national public voice.

You're obviously not trying to minimize, I just find this a really odd, yes threatening, tectonic shift of the ground we all stand on as Americans.

Okay that was more ofd a diatribe than I expected. :words:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 26, 2017

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

He was born in the 70s, so a genXer. It sucks being the middle generation, so all he's got left is being useless and complaining about millenials not just taking it up the rear end from baby boomers like they did, and liking it too. :argh:

Actually millennials are getting totally hosed by the system, it's just the screamers about how China is going to nuke the USA that are eyerollingly needing slapped.

The rest of that stuff is 110% true - it's just the ones who think North Korea or China is some existential threat to the US. They're idiots.

Also, sadly I am a Boomer. Both parents served in WW II. Employed continually since University, tuition was cheap, etc. I happily pay my taxes and wish education was still as cheap and availabilie.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

The 15 year olds are fine. Keep in mind younger generations are much more hardcore consumers of social media, so they tend to be connected to and aware of what is going on politically, AND they tend to be quite vocal about what they think.

For instance, there was a story a few weeks ago where a bunch of high school kids refused to participate in a photo op with Paul Ryan, then called him out for his BS on Twitter afterwards.

They should have done it to his face. Youths should be edgy and confrontational in good ways.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

And as an addition to my spew,

The ALT-Right, hell yeah goons pay alot more attention to it. It just seems to me that no matter how half-assed and low-energy these titmice get, whatever gains made in audience numbers is multiplied crazily by the internet. On phones in every pocket.

I remember when you had to be at a desk to use the internet :corsair:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 26, 2017

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

SocketWrench posted:

Meanwhile poo poo birds like this are calling cheerleaders kneeling during the anthem a bunch of expletives and demanding they be jailed, murdered, or shipped off to some hellhole for expressing their free speech

Don't quote the entire huge tweet dump, you shitbird.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

JosefStalinator posted:

I dunno, it explains why they have been so willing to cover for Trump and contradict themselves on things they supposedly believed in just to keep him around. They need him to take the blows and salvage their chances at staying around long enough to make their tax cuts and social darwinism a permanent feature.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pander posted:

In a choice between binding themselves to a specific sexuality or not doing so, why would that leap matter? If there's a gray area at all, doesn't it make sense to avoid labeling yourself until you've had enough life experience to definitively know (if that ever comes anyway)?

Maybe the acceptance of non-binary sexuality thinking allows a more considered approach to this than in generations past where you were either normal or a fag.

That's the significance of it, that they no longer think categorically about sexuality. That's a huge and positive change just in a single generation, speaking as someone whose major grade-school analytic tool was deciding how gay something was. Kind of takes out a big element of toxic masculinity in an unexpected way too.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
Just for fun I looked up how german insurance companies are selling foreign travel health insurances to Germans planning a trip to the USA.

https://translate.googleusercontent...AAj0XjikpCfXiFA

Also in 2011, the US was the most popular long-distance destination of the Germans. But in no other country is it so important to conclude an additional foreign-disability insurance as for the United States. Because the United States not only offers enchanting landscapes and spectacular sights, but also in the case of illness, horrendous costs. In most areas of the US, medical care is excellent , but the treatment costs can be 8-10 times as high as in Germany. In order to keep your holiday in good health even in the event of illness, you should first of all conclude an international health insurance for the USA.

But why are treatment and medical care costs so high in the US?

We give you some reasons :

• The research and development costs for medical devices and medicines are extremely high in the USA and are transferred directly to the end product. 
• There are no fixed cost rates comparable to the German fee schedule. 
• Since doctors and hospitals are not tied to prescribed rates (no state health system), treatments can be calculated individually

https://translate.googleusercontent...pTxnbWWoE5xHuZA

Because even small, outpatient treatments can entail very high costs abroad, as reported by our 24-hour emergency center. For example, in the US, a single day in the hospital costs around € 6,000. Our international health insurance system replaces you with medical treatment costs abroad and ensures your return to your home country.

What these insurances do? For 21 euros per trip they transport you back to your home country where you will be treated for free...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Neeksy posted:

I dunno, it explains why they have been so willing to cover for Trump and contradict themselves on things they supposedly believed in just to keep him around. They need him to take the blows and salvage their chances at staying around long enough to make their tax cuts and social darwinism a permanent feature.

They're machiavellian but in a money paw way.

They still think that they can control the monster/the inmates even though all signs are pointing towards no as time goes by.(BTW Goldwater himself said this in the 50s/whatever ancient time so holy gently caress)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rust Martialis posted:

Actually millennials are getting totally hosed by the system, it's just the screamers about how China is going to nuke the USA that are eyerollingly needing slapped.

The rest of that stuff is 110% true - it's just the ones who think North Korea or China is some existential threat to the US. They're idiots.

Also, sadly I am a Boomer. Both parents served in WW II. Employed continually since University, tuition was cheap, etc. I happily pay my taxes and wish education was still as cheap and availabilie.

Die boomer scum!

Really though I hope as you approach retirement you find a young whipper snapper to train up and take your place.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RasperFat posted:

I will gladly carry that torch to ensure the prosperity of our future generations.

I never said he wasn't popular, I said he was a buffoon that enacted terrible policies and was plagued with scandal. Trump is still pretty drat popular with Republicans, even if he doesn't have the charm Reagan did to appeal to Democrats. Reagan had 138 members of his administration be investigated, indicted, or convicted. He had Iran-Contra, EPA scandals, lobbying scandals, Wedtech, and many, many more.

He had enough charisma that the public never turned on him like they should have. Trump does not have this ability and is probably viscerally hated by at least 1/3 of the entire U.S. population, which almost never happens for Republican presidents. Probably because visceral hatred is pretty much only promoted by Republicans towards Democrats.

But I don't think there was any revisionism that turned him into republican jesus as time passed. People just always ignored his transgressions and loved him.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CBSSacramento/status/878815870168039425

Jfc

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fun fact, the reason why Muslims don't eat bacon is because it's like cold iron to the Fae, it will make them combust into agony and go straight to hell if they even touch it.

(Brought to you by the Pence for President campaign)

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Somebody should hold a brisket cookout next to a Catholic chuch on lentin Fridays. Lol if they breathe the smoke they go to hell imo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pretty sure that right now Jesus is backing away saying "hey, don't drag me into this shitshow".

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ah bacon, kryptonite for Muslims.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

But I don't think there was any revisionism that turned him into republican jesus as time passed. People just always ignored his transgressions and loved him.

I think one of the biggest factors is that his economic policies hosed us hard long term but saw a short burst of making things better coming out of the inflation of the Carter administration. He destroyed the American working class's future and has never been rightfully crowned with that shitburger in the eyes of the general public.

And revisionism is definitely a huge thing. It's already worked with Bush and that's only like 10 years ago.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SLOSifl posted:

Somebody should hold a brisket cookout next to a Catholic chuch on lentin Fridays. Lol if they breathe the smoke they go to hell imo

Or just a booth filled with free soda, chocolate, and chips (that's got to cover what 50% of catholics abstain from during lent right?)

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rust Martialis posted:

You don't get it maaaaan, how millennials are all doooooomed.

Seriously growing up in the 1970s the odds of dying in a full-on nuclear strategic exchange we're ALWAYS present. You lived knowing there were enough missiles aimed at your city to wipe it off the map multiple times.

Millennial angst over this is stupid, they think the world didn't exist before they got woke or something. It's like the US habit of chest beating about how many casualties they took at some tiny island fight like Bloody Tarawa, to which any European combatant just rolls their eyes.

Millennials: other people had it worse and whined less about it you annoying babies.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Yeah the Nature article is especially terrifying because it provides a map of areas where potentially deadly temperatures might be encountered regularly

First one is with +1°C
Second one is with +3,7°C

That's potentially 74% of worldwide population exposed to potentially deadly heat.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So is there still another major story from tick tick tick guy that's coming or did that turn out to be nothing?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Your Taint posted:

So is there still another major story from tick tick tick guy that's coming or did that turn out to be nothing?

Tomorrow. I've been wondering if it'll be the morning or a five o clock drop, no way to know though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Your Taint posted:

he said monday if trump doesn't leak it himself first

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rust Martialis posted:

You don't get it maaaaan, how millennials are all doooooomed.

Seriously growing up in the 1970s the odds of dying in a full-on nuclear strategic exchange we're ALWAYS present. You lived knowing there were enough missiles aimed at your city to wipe it off the map multiple times.

Millennial angst over this is stupid, they think the world didn't exist before they got woke or something. It's like the US habit of chest beating about how many casualties they took at some tiny island fight like Bloody Tarawa, to which any European combatant just rolls their eyes.

Millennials: other people had it worse and whined less about it you annoying babies.

Should I stay off your lawn?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

It'd be great if I understood what this meant other than it being yellow and a map of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump twitter is using BET hashtag

https://twitter.com/immigrant4trump/status/879127683543814144

https://twitter.com/DuszaLukasz/status/879123292388560896

https://twitter.com/forexpcb/status/879122574906724355

• Locked thread