Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

pacerhimself posted:

Fox News has been pushing the necessity of going to war against North Korea at least since Friday. All of their programs are selling the threat of a nuke or emp, it's just loving sickening.

And yet, when I flip the channel to CNN, they're essentially pushing for war with Russia.

God bless cable news. What would we do without it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I'm right in believing that the whole right wing "EMP" fear mongering is absurd, right? Like from what I've read over the years in order to have a EMP burst large enough to do serious damage you'd basically need to detonate a nuke... and if you're detonating a nuke why the gently caress are you worried about the EMP burst? Its some nonsense they got out of a Grisham novel, right?

The EMP effect of knocking out the power was discovered by detonating a nuke high above the Pacific. So it isn't complete nonsense.

It gets played up because no one would believe that NK has enough nukes to blow up every major city in the US. But a few nukes could be detonated above the US and knock out the power grid.

It is how you get the entire US afraid of NK.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The same test, Starfish Prime from Operation Fishbowl also knocked out a number of low orbiting satellites!

"The Wikipedia article on Operation Fishbowl posted:

Starfish Prime caused an electromagnetic pulse which was far larger than expected, so much larger that it drove much of the instrumentation off scale, causing great difficulty in getting accurate measurements. The Starfish Prime electromagnetic pulse also made those effects known to the public by causing electrical damage in Hawaii, about 1,445 kilometers away from the detonation point, knocking out about 300 streetlights, setting off numerous burglar alarms and damaging a telephone company microwave link (the detonation time was nine seconds after 11 p.m. in Hawaii).

The Starfish Prime radiation belt persisted at high altitude for many months and damaged the United States satellites Traac, Transit 4B, Injun I and Telstar I, as well as the United Kingdom satellite Ariel. It also damaged the Soviet satellite Cosmos V. All of these satellites failed completely within several months of the Starfish detonation

The EMP effect from a high altitude nuclear explosions is serious poo poo. That said, all the fearmongering and saber rattling is just as dumb as it always is.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RedSpider posted:

And yet, when I flip the channel to CNN, they're essentially pushing for war with Russia.

To be fair Russia is actively loving with us and has the potential to cause lasting damage whilst North Korea can do jack poo poo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Eh. The EMP lobby primarily exists to justify expensive missile defense projects which began under Reagan. It's a program in search of a rationale.

Not to say EMP isn't a real thing when you detonate a nuclear bomb. An EMP is a weapon of mass disruption, not a weapon of mass destruction. But at the end of the day, you're still flinging a nuke at the United States.

The go-to source for everything you need to know is here btw:

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1549/1

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1553/1

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

STAC Goat posted:

I'm right in believing that the whole right wing "EMP" fear mongering is absurd, right? Like from what I've read over the years in order to have a EMP burst large enough to do serious damage you'd basically need to detonate a nuke... and if you're detonating a nuke why the gently caress are you worried about the EMP burst? Its some nonsense they got out of a Grisham novel, right?

An EMP is probably the only kind of meaningful attack you could get from North Korea when they only have one or two nukes to use, especially since they probably have problems with accuracy at extreme long range that would mean tossing a nuke at a city would just hit some rural area in California rather SF or LA.

All you need to do for an EMP that'll at least gently caress with a bunch of people though, is get your nuke high in the atmosphere and it'll mess with things for a few hundred miles around.

To be clear though, it would be extremely unlikely for them to even manage that.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Wouldn't them launching a nuke only for the EMP result still have the same MAD effect?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

UmOk posted:

Wouldn't them launching a nuke only for the EMP result still have the same MAD effect?

Yeah, the moment NK launches a nuke, they're pretty much gonna be turbofucked in terms of retaliation. Provided Trump remembers the codes.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, the moment NK launches a nuke, they're pretty much gonna be turbofucked in terms of retaliation. Provided Trump remembers the codes.

So why do these people see them differently than any other nuclear power?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

STAC Goat posted:

Its some nonsense they got out of a Grisham novel, right?

It was the plot of the Red Dawn remake.

I wish they were just as afraid of Kaiju so they'd be flushing our dollars into sweet Pacific Rim robots, but here we are.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

UmOk posted:

its a way of ginning up one nuke into an existential threat

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

its a way of ginning up one nuke into an existential threat

And the story goes that it will destroy everything with a microchip.

So living outside the big city won't save you.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

UmOk posted:

MAD like economics assumes rational actors.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

To be fair Russia is actively loving with us and has the potential to cause lasting damage whilst North Korea can do jack poo poo.

To be fair a war with Russia would end life as we know it on this planet.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RedSpider posted:

To be fair a war with Russia would end life as we know it on this planet.

Yes, so they are a threat we have to actually deal with properly as there are serious stakes involved. The same can not be said for North Korea.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

fishmech posted:

To be clear though, it would be extremely unlikely for them to even manage that.

:agreed:

loving :lol::lol: at every form of media that ever attempted to pass NK off as a threat ever. Hacks and ur-fascists, every one of them.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

Yes, so they are a threat we have to actually deal with properly as there are serious stakes involved. The same can not be said for North Korea.

Yes, and we could start by not deploying troops onto the borders of a nuclear power. You're learning! :keke:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
North Korea isn't a physical threat to the US, true, but they can absolutely gently caress up South Korea, including a good chunk of Seoul, if they decide it's worth the retaliation.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pope Guilty posted:

North Korea isn't a physical threat to the US, true, but they can absolutely gently caress up South Korea, including a good chunk of Seoul, if they decide it's worth the retaliation.

It would be more like a suicide bombing. No matter what your reasons are for doing it, you'll do a lot of damage to something and die from it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Historically, the main reason NK does poo poo like this is to make the US and China send them more food shipments so they'll shut up for a bit. They know that the US, South Korea, and China all regard them as a nuisance but really don't want to invade them for various reasons, so they occasionally make a fuss until someone gives them enough stuff to make them go away for a little while.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pope Guilty posted:

The theory I've seen peddled is their plan is to use a nuclear ICBM to blackmail the US into withdrawing and staying out of Korean affairs. Then they turn right around and start negotiating with the SK left-wing and rich elites to start Reunfication under their terms, banking that the left-wing just want the division to be over no matter what and that the Seoul elites would be willing to sell out the rest of their countrymen to keep their cushy lifestyles. At which point the Kims Win The Korean War.

Still pretty out-there conspiracy theory, but still more plausible than "DUMB AND SO CRAZY BEST KOREA THROW NUKE AT SAN FRANCISCO!"

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/GroverNorquist/status/879088544702181378

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

A flat/poll tax is in fact a regressive tax and is bad. A good tweet.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yes, lying by omission to your child about fundamental aspects of the real world then letting them get embarrassed and mad at society for their subsequent mistake without intervention on your part as a parent so they begin to develop a regressive mindset certainly seems like an effective way to raise them to be a Republican, I agree.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
And then she had no money left over for replacement strings.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Phone posted:

And then she had no money left over for replacement strings.

If she deserved to play guitar she would've been able to afford guitar strings insurance before she ever bought a guitar.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Wait, sales tax in MA is 6.25%. He made a moralizing tweet over $2.18, as opposed to just helping his kid out?

Even that aside, maybe he should be arguing taxes should be included in the sticker price, like the way I hear they do it in sane countries?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Loel posted:

Wait, sales tax in MA is 6.25%. He made a moralizing tweet over $2.18, as opposed to just helping his kid out?

Even that aside, maybe he should be arguing taxes should be included in the sticker price, like the way I hear they do it in sane countries?

Please this as I hate having to mentally add in taxes when looking at prices for stuff at a store.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Loel posted:

:lol: Don't Republicans generally LIKE sales tax? I mean, isn't one of Grover's dreams to eliminate the income tax and make up for it by jacking up sales tax?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 25, 2017

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I think you'll find that taxation is theft, friend.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Faustian Bargain posted:

I think you'll find that taxation is theft, friend.

Doesn't that only apply to rich people?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 25, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
please do not steal my original idea republicans (esp grover norquist): value added fees or VAF for short

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

UmOk posted:

Well yeah, the only way to cause a sizable EMP is to launch a loving nuke at the other guy. Which pulls the exact same response as shooting the same nuke with plans to detonate it lower in the atmosphere.

I.e. the response nukes are probably already in the air before the EMP even gets within a hundred miles of going off.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Off topic, but what do you say to someone who argues that the primary factor that caused the 2008 Financial Crisis was the Fed lowering interest rates?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mr Interweb posted:

Off topic, but what do you say to someone who argues that the primary factor that caused the 2008 Financial Crisis was the Fed lowering interest rates?

'You're a loving idiot' ?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

In 2001? Cause the Fed had been raising interest rates for a few years prior to 08, from a low reached around 2001/2002

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/interest-rate

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKyA2PrSu4&t=8s

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RedSpider posted:

Elect better Presidents.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

UmOk posted:

Because North Korea isn't a nuclear power, and therefore still a possible target for a military invasion that will transfer trillions of America's to the war industry, and for the useful idiots that enable this new war, the endless stream of flag-draped coffins are an opportunity to playact at being a big strong man without having to put themselves in any physical danger while they project all their inner cowardice and shame on the anti-war movement that they will condemn and then blame after-the-fact for the quagmire when it all goes tits up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/25/watch-chuck-todd-ask-bernie-sanders-zero-questions-about-being-under-fbi-investigation-video/

Morning radio going full bore with this. Indisputable proof of media bias! :allears:

Is something big about to break, that they are so desperate they have to try to gin this into a thing? I mean, other than the GOP rushing through super unpopular and deadly legislation via antidemocratic means?