Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

One of my favorites is the guy who outsourced his six digit salaried job to a chinese contractor for 1/5 the cost while browsing reddit all day:
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/17/business/la-fi-mo-man-outsourced-job-to-china-20130117

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

I hope they up end the formula. They need to mix it up or end it before it goes all Dexter.

We still haven't had the inevitable "Richard and Monica start dating" subplot, but it seems that even she doesn't like him anymore

Monica and Jared should hook up - they're essentially Richard's mom and dad anyway

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's a good thing the show goes back on break after tonight, otherwise I'd be tempted to watch Preacher before it. To think, a show that's demonstrated a cyclical plot compared to one where they literally blew up the plot that wasn't working.

I'm just thinking back to my thoughts on the first two episodes, thinking we were seeing a "new show," and instead we ended up getting the same old poo poo. :sad:

EDIT: Wow, another Hail Mary save and complete reset of the plot back to the beginning of *last* season, with *no* cliffhanger. How original. gently caress this show.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 26, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm not going anywhere - the ensemble is so strong it can transcend anything - but that sure was a nothing season.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I choked so hard during the smart fridge reveal.

"We're essentially a criminal operation, whose only product is dangerous malware."

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Seeing all those Internet Of poo poo fridges with this on them made that episode:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know a ton about the Internet of Things, but that seemed like a big stretch.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah, the show is still funny to me (and I love the cast, sad to see TJ Miller leave without much of a farewell). That said its not going anywhere fast and this next season will be the last if they don't change anything. Looking back I think the moment the show jumped the shark was when they fired Action Jack and moved out of their swanky new place -- they finally made it to the next tier and then they rolled it back into the house. In hindsight that was clearly a sign that they will always be in scrappy startup mode until the end.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm not going anywhere - the ensemble is so strong it can transcend anything - but that sure was a nothing season.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. It wasn't close to bad enough for me to give up on (especially for 10 half-hours of my life) but it felt like nothing but Erlich leaving really happened. They're apparently rolling in offer sheets, let's get into some new territory next year.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hopefully that last scene means that they've accepted they can't do the garage startup think any more and are now going to be the scrappy underdog funded startup that challenges google Hooli

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

M_Gargantua posted:

Hopefully that last scene means that they've accepted they can't do the garage startup think any more and are now going to be the scrappy underdog funded startup that challenges google Hooli

Until Richard 'unintentionally' sexually harasses a female employee who sues them and they have to move back into Jian-Yang's incubator.

I also love how Jared reveals he's been living in the garage for no reason other than "solidarity" and the general reaction wasn't :3: but rather "whatever" by all present.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 26, 2017

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Until Richard 'unintentionally' sexually harasses a female employee who sues them and they have to move back into Jian-Yang's incubator.

I also love how Jared reveals he's been living in the garage for no reason other than "solidarity" and the general reaction wasn't :3: but rather "whatever" by all present.

Also when he is back in his condo it is full of girls having a good time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This guy fucks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ready player one is a trash book and i hope the movie bombs

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also i hope season 5 is the last season

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Glad we finally get a season with the Pied Piper Gang vs Gavin Belson!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What I'm left feeling is pity for the team. They're there out of Sunk-Cost Fallacy.

I doubt I'll watch next season unless Richard dies or something

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
T.J. Miller accurately diagnoses the show's problem with spinning its tires plot-wise, but also makes it clear that he's definitely unbearable to work with/be around. Filled with shade at Middleditch and outright loathing for Alec Berg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tj-miller-says-leaving-silicon-valley-was-like-a-breakup-1016573

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad they finally admitted weed is a gateway drug to opium

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I thought the episode was going to end with Gavin teaming up a beaten and broken Pied Piper in an effort to retake Hooli.
Redoing the Gavin v Pied Piper feud seems like a lazy way to end a season.
And it was just another episode of Richard almost reaches ruin, but is saved at the last second and probably doesn't learn a lesson.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hell yeah new wu-tang

RIP Anton

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Eh I didn't think Miller was throwing any shade at Tommy MiddleD in that article but drat he sure took a huge poo poo on Alec Berg

E: Gilfoyle's laugh fuckin killed me

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 26, 2017

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Were Erlich's last words "Big head?" Because that's oddly poetic.

I am getting a little tired of Richard's inability to understand basic business theory, especially since he never seems to try to delegate this responsibility--an area where he's clearly not competent--to someone who knows poo poo from Shinola. Russ said it a season or two ago--"You don't know how your loving company works?" And he doesn't. At a certain point, I think he'd get someone on board who at least knows that it may not be a good idea to offer flat rate pricing on data storage when you're using a 3rd party vendor to actually store the data, and they don't charge a flat rate.

But, at the end of the day, Richard pulled a Bighead and failed upward. The idea that families and salesmen would fail to do something about a smart fridge whose screen features a mime making an inappropriate gesture (complete with text that removes any ambiguity) is a little hard to believe, honestly, but that's what we're left with until next season, I guess.

I loved Jared's breaking away from the group, his reluctant adherence to the concept of a 2-week notice, his brutal honesty, and then the fact that with less than 24 hours notice, he was able to set up a threesome. Or foursome; it's hard to tell. Fivesum? He did have to cheer himself up. And effortlessly, he just got some chicks. I love it. This guy fucks.

(Gilfoyle's eyes, though... I love that his only handy set of contacts are cat-themed cosmetic lenses.)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

xbilkis posted:

T.J. Miller accurately diagnoses the show's problem with spinning its tires plot-wise, but also makes it clear that he's definitely unbearable to work with/be around. Filled with shade at Middleditch and outright loathing for Alec Berg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tj-miller-says-leaving-silicon-valley-was-like-a-breakup-1016573

quote:

Yet none of them have seen Yogi Bear 3D, so they’re all talking and chit-chattering and squawk, squawk, squawk — but none of them have seen Yogi Bear 3D. So they don’t know that I’ve already done the best thing that I’ll ever do.

I don't... is he saying that Yogi Bear 3D was his magnum opus? That whole interview was just weird and meandering. If nothing else, though, it feels a lot more honest than the interviews he's been giving on late night.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Im glad he correctly identifies jared as being the best.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That episode was funnier than most this season, and the big 11th hour rear end-saving out of nowhere was actually great, but I hope they actually move forward next season. It's clear that they can't mine any more laughs and decent plot with the same set-up. Say what you will about recent Archer, but at least Adam Reed tries his best to keep that show fresh and dynamic every season. I hope that Mike Judge changes direction next season, since that interview says we've probably got two more. I can't take one more season of the same but less funny.

xbilkis posted:

"I didn't talk to Alec because I don't like Alec." Brutal. TJ is very self-aware about the show, and he's pretty sincere about his future goals and how much of the stuff from here on out is going to suck compared to Silicon Valley, but he's almost certainly whitewashing his relationship with HBO executives. I can't wait to hear the juicy responses to that interview.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 26, 2017

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
If TJ is accurate about Alec Berg then gently caress that guy, he's ruining what used to be a hugely promising show. Go watch VEEP or something and learn how to make serialized comedy, because that is what HBO subscribers are paying for. Not this meandering network TV style.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I can't say that this season was bad because it had many enjoyable moments but I think it's fair to say it was very cowardly, hitting the big 'ole reset 3 minutes before the season ends after we had an entire season of false starts and forced returns to the status quo was really silly.

I understand that there was some progress with the company but it's still all so precarious it could be easily retconned in the next episode.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I can't say that this season was bad because it had many enjoyable moments but I think it's fair to say it was very cowardly, hitting the big 'ole reset 3 minutes before the season ends after we had an entire season of false starts and forced returns to the status quo was really silly.

It really bugged me how angry Gilfoyle and Dinesh were with Richard's lying and it was suddenly forgotten as soon as the deux ex machina (funny as it was) saved them.

That's the type of thing that annihilates friendships.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

xbilkis posted:

TJ Miller seems to think that leaving a sitcom at its height is some kind of hilarious Andy Kaufman-esque maneuver instead of something that happens all the time. But yeah, he doesn't owe anybody anything, so good for him for finding his bliss I guess

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

TJ Miller seems to think that leaving a sitcom at its height is some kind of hilarious Andy Kaufman-esque maneuver instead of something that happens all the time. But yeah, he doesn't owe anybody anything, so good for him for finding his bliss I guess

I'd argue the height was the dicks bit at the end of season 1

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Analytic Engine posted:

If TJ is accurate about Alec Berg then gently caress that guy, he's ruining what used to be a hugely promising show. Go watch VEEP or something and learn how to make serialized comedy, because that is what HBO subscribers are paying for. Not this meandering network TV style.

Awkward timing considering Veep just hit a big reset button last night too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo Gilfoyles loving eyes. :lol:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 26, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Henchman of Santa posted:

Awkward timing considering Veep just hit a big reset button last night too.
I hadn't watched this season yet, and just watched episode 1 last night, hated every minute of it but was going to watch the season because it was the last one. Don't know why I'd convinced myself of that. So when it was also announced last night that Veep was renewed for another season, I was all too happy to take that show out of rotation. Good riddance.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

e: ack.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nottjmiller/status/879316563765075969

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
How to come off like a giant loving baby, by TJ Miller.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nah, he owns.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Richard doesn't bother me like a lot of posters but Jared, Guilfoyle and Dinesh are enough to keep my watching by themselves. I would like to see them break new ground next season, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I hope the first scene of next season is them getting an envelope from DHL, and inside are pictures of Ehrlichs sky burial

• Locked thread