Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's a bad idea to make it a selling-point about how your choices in Game 1 will make an impact in Game 2. It's just not feasible because AAA games are loving expensive and they're not going to wall-off out huge blocks of content before you press Start. Witcher 3 had it easy because your choices in Witcher 2 amounted to a couple of varying conversations and a small sub-plot that hinged on one character's survival. The effect of choices that are span across sequels have to be either token or exchangeable. Ashley and Kaiden have their differences but they must fulfill the same arc, this also happens in the Banner Saga.

The most reactive game ever (Alpha Protocol, yes the gameplay is poo poo) accomplishes its level of reactivity by being ten hours long, but with the incentive for multiple play-throughs. While the Witcher 3 is one-hundred hours long and you'll see every situation in one playthrough, just not every outcome.

If Mass effect 1 was a self contained story and had alpha protocols choices it would have been great but then so would any game because Alpha protocol is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
btw Jack from mass effect 2 was a good character, i'm a sucker for space punk psychopaths and I thought she was the best bit.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

btw Jack from mass effect 2 was a good character, i'm a sucker for space punk psychopaths and I thought she was the best bit.

So disappointed you couldn't recruit her to your team. But don't worry, you can have Kaiden or Ashley back! :what: At least you get the option to kill the fucker who's been openly calling you a traitor for the whole game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Weird Sandwich posted:

I'm late to the Batman Arkham Origins chat, but my favourite weirdly bad thing about the game is that the ending credits are like 40 goddamn minutes long.
It's less than 5 minutes, but the end credits to Shardlight are unskippable and the game has multiple endings so you have to wait through them three times to see them all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Weird Sandwich posted:

I'm late to the Batman Arkham Origins chat, but my favourite weirdly bad thing about the game is that the ending credits are like 40 goddamn minutes long.

The end credits to Rayman: Origins is around 10 minutes long or so and unskippable and the game doesnt give you the "you beat the game achievement" or save until it finishes so you cant just shut the system off to be done.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Let's not forget Mighty Number 9 having multi-hour long credits due to including all bajillion Kickstarter backers.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BioEnchanted posted:

Let's not forget Mighty Number 9 having multi-hour long credits due to including all bajillion Kickstarter backers.

To be fair, it's the best part of the game.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Any part of mighty number nine where you aren't playing it is the best part

For an actual criticism of the game, the animations are loving awful and don't fit the art at all, so everything looks really weird and floppy to me.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Mighty Number 9 is the reason I'm not trying to get my hopes up over Bloodstained. That and the water tit monster.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

scarycave posted:

Mighty Number 9 is the reason I'm not trying to get my hopes up over Bloodstained. That and the water tit monster.

The footage they showed at E3 this year looked awful, it's really slow and generic and the 2.5d graphics look like something out of an asset factory. There's one part in particular where a giant bell falls from the ceiling and turns into what appears to be chunks of delicious milk chocolate upon hitting the ground that made me :ughh: while watching.

e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTVYb6xeUcU

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Jun 25, 2017

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

steinrokkan posted:

Dragon Age I was the best tactical RPG in years (and there have been few better ones since) saddled with possibly the blandest, least engaging fantasy setting and plot ever. Shame that the sequels gave up on the gameplay, the one thing that made the game stand out, and decided it was the world building that made it successful.

My favorite thing about the Dragon Age setting is that that's literally its name, Thedas: THE Dragon Age Setting. They were so strapped for original ideas they couldn't even come up with a name for their world.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm getting back into FFXIV and it does a few things differently (I think, I don't play many MMOs) that I actually quite like. Everything is locked behind the main story quests more or less, even if you out level the quests you still have to do them before you can get to later stuff. There is no reason to buy the expansion(s) if you don't have a character that's completed the base game's story, since you won't even be able to do anything from the expansions until you complete the base game.

Part of this is that the main story requires you to do dungeons and trials (big bosses with no dungeons attached), so the MSQ is impossible to completely solo.

I like that stuff, what bugs me though is when you get to the dungeon/trial quests the game grinds to a halt if you don't have a team while you wait in a queue for matchmaking. This morning I probably spent close to an hour (combined) in queues for two quests (I was playing a DPS class, not particularly in demand, so longer queues for me) and last night the matchmaking server was down for Europe (launch weekend for the expansion + DDoS attacks) so I was stuck unable to continue the MSQ.

Barudak posted:

The end credits to Rayman: Origins is around 10 minutes long or so and unskippable and the game doesnt give you the "you beat the game achievement" or save until it finishes so you cant just shut the system off to be done.

The credits for Assassin's Creed Revelations are not only 20 minutes long and unskippable but they also have a checkpoint at the start, so if you have the bright idea of quitting the game and reloading so you can do post-story stuff you just get put back at the beginning of the credits.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Is it worth continuing to Mass Effect 2 after Mass Effect? Cause if it's the same elevators, stupid minigame for a series of skills, dialogue options that never match up to the actual statements, bland worlds with lovely mountains and unfun exploration, among god who knows how many other things, I won't bother.

Plot is alright. A bit generic, but the setting helps propel it along. It just isn't worth putting up with so much bullshit.

I'm going through a playthrough of all 3 games with one save, and they get a lot less clunky

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If we're talking about long-as-poo poo endings, I doubt anything can beat the relatively-forgotten game Ghost Master. The Steam version comes with a bonus level and a 'true' ending, where you and all the ghosts you've freed over the course of how many levels flee into some generic light, because your job is done.

What happens is that Ghost #1 slowly floats on screen, does a little goodbye animation, and then floats into said light. Then Ghost #2 does it too, and on and on.

The problem is that there's fifty loving Ghosts that you could've unlocked, so if you were OCD about freeing every ghost on every level, it winds up being at least 20 minutes of float-up-wave-by-float-into-light.

poo poo, that whole game is full of things that drag itself down. I remember hating the shielding mechanic (can't place ghosts in certain rooms unless the shield generator was destroyed, which wasn't always possible), or having to bind ghosts to other things and hope they go where you need them to, or mechanics only working on coincidence (congrats! You made this area Cold, Very Cold, and Windy at the same time! This will encourage people to cross the river, like you need them... oh, wait, the Very Cold thing stopped, so they walk back to where they started!). Ugh, every once in a while I want to replay the game, and I remember all the bullshit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PubicMice posted:

My favorite thing about the Dragon Age setting is that that's literally its name, Thedas: THE Dragon Age Setting. They were so strapped for original ideas they couldn't even come up with a name for their world.

Its like how ASOIF just named its areas north/south/east/west

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MisterBibs posted:

If we're talking about long-as-poo poo endings, I doubt anything can beat the relatively-forgotten game Ghost Master. The Steam version comes with a bonus level and a 'true' ending, where you and all the ghosts you've freed over the course of how many levels flee into some generic light, because your job is done.

What happens is that Ghost #1 slowly floats on screen, does a little goodbye animation, and then floats into said light. Then Ghost #2 does it too, and on and on.

The problem is that there's fifty loving Ghosts that you could've unlocked, so if you were OCD about freeing every ghost on every level, it winds up being at least 20 minutes of float-up-wave-by-float-into-light.

poo poo, that whole game is full of things that drag itself down. I remember hating the shielding mechanic (can't place ghosts in certain rooms unless the shield generator was destroyed, which wasn't always possible), or having to bind ghosts to other things and hope they go where you need them to, or mechanics only working on coincidence (congrats! You made this area Cold, Very Cold, and Windy at the same time! This will encourage people to cross the river, like you need them... oh, wait, the Very Cold thing stopped, so they walk back to where they started!). Ugh, every once in a while I want to replay the game, and I remember all the bullshit.

The PS2 one, Gravenville Chronicles, was pretty bad, but it had a few interesting setups for the levels. One was a military base where the General in charge was in danger of a mutiny from his soldiers, so you have to save him, by luring him into the room with the plans for the betrayal so that he can see them and defend himself. That was a cool level setup but I never got past it due to the game being bad.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

The footage they showed at E3 this year looked awful, it's really slow and generic and the 2.5d graphics look like something out of an asset factory. There's one part in particular where a giant bell falls from the ceiling and turns into what appears to be chunks of delicious milk chocolate upon hitting the ground that made me :ughh: while watching.

All the animations in that video look terrible as well

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Plus, most of the assassins ended up not being that involved.

And for some weird reason beating two of them were a side quest.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Guy Mann posted:

Oh, God, I backed this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got to Meridian in Horizon Zero Dawn, but god that giant bird on the way, the Stormwing, is so annoyingly placed. You practically can't avoid being spotted by it, I got as far as I could in the tallgrass, but then all you can do is run away and hope it doesn't hit you in the back. I liked the walk to Meridian, I like when games do the "Here's a walking tour of most of the world on the way to the capital - now you know what's what have fun!" thing, it gives a good few fast travel points straight up and there were a few interesting sights, but that bird was irritating.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got to Meridian in Horizon Zero Dawn, but god that giant bird on the way, the Stormwing, is so annoyingly placed. You practically can't avoid being spotted by it, I got as far as I could in the tallgrass, but then all you can do is run away and hope it doesn't hit you in the back. I liked the walk to Meridian, I like when games do the "Here's a walking tour of most of the world on the way to the capital - now you know what's what have fun!" thing, it gives a good few fast travel points straight up and there were a few interesting sights, but that bird was irritating.

Do you have the wubwub arrows yet? They're SUPER useful for fighting birds. Glinthawks are especially weak to the wubs

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do, but I didn't want to waste them. They are drat useful though. It's like "What's that little guy? You want to shoot me? But your guns over there now, and the hydraulics that let you do that massive sproing attack are behind that tree!" Also I really liked the sidequest in the mountain to the east, with the docile machines. That was neat, and now I have an idea why the machines have steadily been getting more and more hostile - it may have been that there were more distress calls that steadily died over the eons and stopped calming the machines.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

I do, but I didn't want to waste them. They are drat useful though. It's like "What's that little guy? You want to shoot me? But your guns over there now, and the hydraulics that let you do that massive sproing attack are behind that tree!" Also I really liked the sidequest in the mountain to the east, with the docile machines. That was neat, and now I have an idea why the machines have steadily been getting more and more hostile - it may have been that there were more distress calls that steadily died over the eons and stopped calming the machines.

And I don't remember when you get the thing to tie robots down but that's super useful for stormbirds because gently caress those guys. loving assholes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've got that, but I barely use it. I'll bear it in mind for the birds, I'll try hitting them with the "Blow-off-all-their-bits" arrows, then tying them down to finish them off, but I haven't had to fight them yet so I've just been ignoring them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Len posted:

And I don't remember when you get the thing to tie robots down but that's super useful for stormbirds because gently caress those guys. loving assholes.

You also want to get the upgraded version of it because it has stronger ropes.

Anyway, I've been playing Wildlands and I'm almost to the end and it has really exposed a massive flaw in the game. The premise of the game is that you're taking down a cartel by dismantling various parts of it (broken into the categories of Security, Influence, Production and Smuggling.) Despite the dialog giving some lip service to the idea that you're wrecking stuff for the cartel it doesn't actually change any gameplay. So you really don't feel like you're ACTUALLY taking anything down since everything just remains the same.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

muscles like this! posted:

Anyway, I've been playing Wildlands and I'm almost to the end and it has really exposed a massive flaw in the game. The premise of the game is that you're taking down a cartel by dismantling various parts of it (broken into the categories of Security, Influence, Production and Smuggling.) Despite the dialog giving some lip service to the idea that you're wrecking stuff for the cartel it doesn't actually change any gameplay. So you really don't feel like you're ACTUALLY taking anything down since everything just remains the same.

I'm gonna be genuinely surprised if the game doesn't end with someone in your agency saying, "Taking down this cartel was only the first step; now a power vacuum in the Drug Trade will cause infighting with the other cartels for that top spot," and then hooks in more sequels where you have to take down three other cartels set in three separate countries that are each the size of the original map.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why does that Bloodstained trailer begin and end with impalement.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

All the animations in that video look terrible as well

Some of them would be tolerable if they were sped up a bit.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

poptart_fairy posted:

Overcompensating for years of having to design games starring Ayami Kojima's gorgeous dudes.

:swoon:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the lighting for that game looks really flat

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leavemywife posted:

Oh, God, I backed this.

My buddy backed Psychonauts 2 and I will never let him live it down. Kickstarter is bad and so are video games.

poptart_fairy posted:

If you have to ask, then it's probably a sex thing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PubicMice posted:

Thedas is just as good as any other random fantasy world name, as far as I'm concerned. Would you like it better if it wasn't an acronym?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Moon Monster posted:

Thedas is just as good as any other random fantasy world name, as far as I'm concerned. Would you like it better if it wasn't an acronym?

Wait, Thedas actually stands for THe Dragon Age Setting? :aaa:

Nuebot posted:

My buddy backed Psychonauts 2 and I will never let him live it down. Kickstarter is bad and so are video games.

Kickstarter has become the best argument against auteur worship and nostalgia marketing in gaming.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Final Fantasy X is set in a world that is trapped in a cycle where a giant monster shows up periodically and kills a bunch of people and they th kill the monster by sacrificing a person who is later turned into the next monster and everything starts over.

This is referred to in the game as a spiral of death.

That world is named Spira.

:thunk:

Action Tortoise posted:

Kickstarter has become the best argument against auteur worship and nostalgia marketing in gaming.

To be fair people seemed to have learned their lesson after the first big wave of Kickstarter revivals were either underwhelming or never happened. Recently the director of Parappa the Rapper tried to Kickstart a rhythm game called Rap Rabbit and it got less than a fifth of its goal because a big name from 20 years ago and a few jpegs of concept art aren't enough to rake in the dough anymore.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It just proves how bad the writing in the main Borderlands series is, because they took that same setting and made it good.

Being an adventure game it has the advantage of telling a story with a bunch of side characters, the two protagonists are a middle manager in the evil corporation and a small-time crook. That's a way more interesting and fun way to explore a setting than the traditional shooter narrative where you have to single-handedly save the day by mowing down a zillion monsters and killing the big bad guy and becoming King Badass.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Jun 25, 2017

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

Please don't tell me psychonauts 2 isn't turning out good. :ohdear:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

scarycave posted:

Please don't tell me psychonauts 2 isn't turning out good. :ohdear:

No, people on this forum are just convinced that Tim Schafer is the Satan of videogaming and its all some giant scam.

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Jun 26, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I kickstart tabletop RPGs instead of video games and picking the good from the bad is a lot easier for those with less chance of failure.

Good:
This is 90% text complete, and you can even download it, or a quickplay version of it, right now! The kickstarter budget is for art, further chapters and playtesting, and maybe setting up a website for third party content!

Bad:
So yah like I was thinking making like Dungeons and Dragons but more freedom and worlds of adventure please give me money so I can think up an entirely generic rules system.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No, people on this forum are just convinced that Tim Schafer is the Satan of videogaming and its all some giant scam.

Not Satan or a scam, but with the way broken age went, he's either not great at planning or with money. Or both.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

It's not a terrible thing in a vacuum but it just perfectly represents how uncreative and uninspired the setting is and as earlier posts pointed out it's funny as hell how for the sequels they threw out the cool tactical RPG gameplay but kept the dogshit setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Tim Schafer taught me an important lesson about early access games with space base df9. I'm still pissed about it.