Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

One of my favorite gameplay moments in the entire series is getting the ricochet shot for the shotguns on the moon base level and then dual-wielding auto shotties to turn the narrow corridors into literal meat grinders.

Same but the u-boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Humerus posted:

Try verifying the files through Steam. It will take a while because the game is so large but if one or two files got weird during download it can cause problems. Also, just for fun, check GPU driver updates. It can't hurt.

Cicadalek posted:

I presume you've googled it but some people found alt tabbing helped. I've never run into the issue unfortunately :(

Tried all of that, had to update drivers just to get the game to run. Oh, and the game would crash whenever I changed mouse sensitivity from the main menu. In-game was fine.

Trying a re-install in probably vain hope, I'll see if it somehow fixes itself or if I can get alt-tabbing to work.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah that U-boat level owned with dual-shrapnel shotties :getin:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I'm finally getting around to doing a Wyatt play through, haven't touched either TNO or TOB since beating TOB right after it came out. Is there any mention of Nazi allies like Italy or Japan in this universe? Is Japan running their own genocidal fascist empire in Asia, or did TNO Nazis destroy them?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sheen Sheen posted:

I'm finally getting around to doing a Wyatt play through, haven't touched either TNO or TOB since beating TOB right after it came out. Is there any mention of Nazi allies like Italy or Japan in this universe? Is Japan running their own genocidal fascist empire in Asia, or did TNO Nazis destroy them?

The Nazis backstabbed everybody and took over everything.

Because Nazis are assholes.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Read the newspaper articles scattered through the world (particularly the ones from the war plastered around the hideout). They give you an idea at what the Nazi's do with their 'friends'.

Regarding the story itself, I feel as though Wyatt is the canonical choice (doesn't he appear at the end of the reveal trailer? Dropping acid?) but his armour upgrades are pretty underwhelming and clearly inferior to the health upgrades you get if you save Fergus. Not sure what kind of trade off they were trying to go for there...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Italy turned on the Nazis and were crushed, while Japan was forcefully occupied by their "liberators" following the defeat of mainland China. There are plenty of news clippings at the Kreisau Circle that explain what happened.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Read the newspaper articles scattered through the world (particularly the ones from the war plastered around the hideout). They give you an idea at what the Nazi's do with their 'friends'.

Regarding the story itself, I feel as though Wyatt is the canonical choice (doesn't he appear at the end of the reveal trailer? Dropping acid?) but his armour upgrades are pretty underwhelming and clearly inferior to the health upgrades you get if you save Fergus. Not sure what kind of trade off they were trying to go for there...

Fergus shows up in the trailer too, with a robot arm. Don't know how they're going to handle things, but they're both in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I remember playing through the U-Boat level one time and there's one corridor where there's at least a half dozen guys shooting at you. I pulled out the dual ricochet shotguns, fired for a few seconds at no target in particular, then realized every Nazi was dead.

chiasaur11 posted:

Fergus shows up in the trailer too, with a robot arm. Don't know how they're going to handle things, but they're both in.

Presumably some kind of choice at the start of the game, unless there's a save file it can read.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course getting hung up on canon doesn't do much for Wolfenstein seeing how it reinvents itself each iteration with only vague references to past events. I mean, Old Blood is a direct prequel to New Order, but it is also a sequel to Return and 09 which means that BJ fought alongside two completely different Kesslers and stopped two different zombie apocalypses between 1942 and 46 as well as an interdimensional invasion.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I choose to believe that the Nazi's, in typical German fashion, are just really driven to complete the tasks they set out to do so BJ has had to show up and wreck Castle Wolfenstein like 6 or 7 times now. Each game is canon.

One thing each successive developer hasn't touched on is whether Hitler is alive or not. After you kill him (repeatedly) at the end of Wolf3D he is never seen or mentioned ever again. Most of the background stories just point at a nameless Furher or Death's Head. Almost like they are hiding the fact that Hitler is dead but are still using him as a figure head.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I choose to believe that the Nazi's, in typical German fashion, are just really driven to complete the tasks they set out to do so BJ has had to show up and wreck Castle Wolfenstein like 6 or 7 times now. Each game is canon.

One thing each successive developer hasn't touched on is whether Hitler is alive or not. After you kill him (repeatedly) at the end of Wolf3D he is never seen or mentioned ever again. Most of the background stories just point at a nameless Furher or Death's Head. Almost like they are hiding the fact that Hitler is dead but are still using him as a figure head.

There's a letter in the new series where someone mentions meeting Hitler, with the strong implication he was... less than entirely alive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hitler is probably alive thanks to alchemy. His name is explicitly mentioned in Old Blood in a report about a "failed" assassination attempt on Hitler's life, and Bobby says Heil Hitler on the approach to the London Nautica. Deathshead is over 100 years old in New Order, so I can believe Hitler had his age extended as well thanks to zombie magic.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Old Blood does mention him, there's a couple files where people talk about meeting him. It's where people get the idea that by the time of TOB he's a zombie since he's mentioned to be oddly cold to the touch. I'm not sure what that means, as aren't there a couple mentions of him announcing an end to the war in America in TNO? Either way, it'd have to be a completely different kind of zombification to the one shown in TOB since those zombies are exceptionally hot, bursting into flame and all that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

catlord posted:

Old Blood does mention him, there's a couple files where people talk about meeting him. It's where people get the idea that by the time of TOB he's a zombie since he's mentioned to be oddly cold to the touch. I'm not sure what that means, as aren't there a couple mentions of him announcing an end to the war in America in TNO?

The implication there is that Hitler is either dead as hell or hopelessly ill/rotted and Deathshead is using him as a puppet leader.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Deathshead just wants to replace mankind with an army of robots with brains.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I only played the Old Blood through to the end once and may have missed a few of the notes and doodads; the beginning starts off well but the second act is, as someone else mentioned earlier, just Zombie Bullet Sponge Shooter 5000 and it couldn't hold my interest enough to make me do it a second time. He was brought back as a head-in-a-jar, in a robot, in Wold3D and cybernetic things are clearly within the realm of possibility in this timeline so it's not like they couldn't bring him back. I just got the impression that they didn't.

I guess now that Strasse is dead for real they could pull him out of storage and have him run around again. Frau Engel is clearly being set up as the main antagonist but maybe they have a twist. We can also see a new overweight German milkmaid toady is being introduced as well, who I'm sure will be named Helga von [Something] in line with all the other overweight Germany milkmaids we've killed so far in this series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I only played the Old Blood through to the end once and may have missed a few of the notes and doodads; the beginning starts off well but the second act is, as someone else mentioned earlier, just Zombie Bullet Sponge Shooter 5000 and it couldn't hold my interest enough to make me do it a second time. He was brought back as a head-in-a-jar, in a robot, in Wold3D and cybernetic things are clearly within the realm of possibility in this timeline so it's not like they couldn't bring him back. I just got the impression that they didn't.

I guess now that Strasse is dead for real they could pull him out of storage and have him run around again. Frau Engel is clearly being set up as the main antagonist but maybe they have a twist. We can also see a new overweight German milkmaid toady is being introduced as well, who I'm sure will be named Helga von [Something] in line with all the other overweight Germany milkmaids we've killed so far in this series.

That girl is Sigrun Engel. She's Frau Engel's daughter and she is really not comfortable with this whole murder-happy Nazi thing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

The implication there is that Hitler is either dead as hell or hopelessly ill/rotted and Deathshead is using him as a puppet leader.

Hm, it doesn't strike me as a terribly Deathshead thing to do, he loves his big bulky robots a bit much for something relatively subtle. But I always got the impression that Hitler was dead by the time TNO got rolling, so sometime between '48 when he announced the end of the war and '60, but I don't think they actually say. Is Deathshead actually in charge? He struck me as important but too busy with his science to actually run a country.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oxxidation posted:

That girl is Sigrun Engel. She's Frau Engel's daughter and she is really not comfortable with this whole murder-happy Nazi thing.

Yeah, when She's getting egged on by Frau Engel to use the axe on what looks like Caroline, she looks really hesitant and remorseful.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

catlord posted:

Is Deathshead actually in charge? He struck me as important but too busy with his science to actually run a country.

I don't know if the leadership hierarchy is confirmed anywhere but I got the distinct impression that he was the one calling the shots. The entire war effort and then post-war administration seemed to be centred around his compound. And in the resistance hideout you see his mugshot is clearly at the top of a chart of Nazi leaders, with a few other game characters and some random photos below him, arranged in a typical organization leadership chart.

There also is no mention of other top NSDAP brass such as Joseph Goebbels, Heinrich Himmler, Rudolf Hess or Herman Goering so they're either dead or never existed for the purposes of the game's story. I got the impression that Strasse was an amalgam of of the other party psychos anyway.

edit:

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah, when She's getting egged on by Frau Engel to use the axe on what looks like Caroline, she looks really hesitant and remorseful.
Was she hesitating or just really having a hard time lifting axe, and/or incompetent?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Speaking of Germans, Eurogamer did a breakdown of the censored version of TNO they created to release it in Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hK4Px4O8aE

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Hitler is a Lich, hope this helps

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

So this is all in canon with Danger 5, right?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

what I was gonna post. striding through those cramped corridors with a shotgun in each hand, red hot shards of metal bounding off the walls turning nazis into hamburger. good poo poo. brutal as hell.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't know if the leadership hierarchy is confirmed anywhere but I got the distinct impression that he was the one calling the shots. The entire war effort and then post-war administration seemed to be centred around his compound. And in the resistance hideout you see his mugshot is clearly at the top of a chart of Nazi leaders, with a few other game characters and some random photos below him, arranged in a typical organization leadership chart.

There also is no mention of other top NSDAP brass such as Joseph Goebbels, Heinrich Himmler, Rudolf Hess or Herman Goering so they're either dead or never existed for the purposes of the game's story. I got the impression that Strasse was an amalgam of of the other party psychos anyway.

He must just delegate a lot, running a country would surely cut into time that could be spent putting brains in robots. Himmler showed up at the end of RtCW, but I think he's the only historical figure, besides Hitler himself, to show up prior to TNO.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I doubt Hitler (or Himmler) will show up again due to censorship reasons. If MachineGames does go through with making this a trilogy like they've said I can maybe imagine them appearing but in very interchangeable roles to make model/dialogue swapping easy for the censored versions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Paingod556 posted:

So this is all in canon with Danger 5, right?

Nowhere near enough window escapes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Was she hesitating or just really having a hard time lifting axe, and/or incompetent?

Honestly looked like she was hesitating to me, she sure got that axe over her head in a hurry though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just noticed they don't allow the Steam overlay on Wolf09 and screenshotting.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's been that way even before Bethesda had the IP rights and the game was new. Probably has to do with the DOS prompt right before the game starts.

GUI fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 26, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guy Mann posted:

I feel like they're definitely right about the trailer for The New Colossus making a bunch of people (re)discover The New Order by showing off all the crazy alternate history and narrative stuff that they didn't really do a good job marketing when the first game came out on top of striking a chord with all the contemporary concern about Nazism in America.
Huh, I thought the alternate history stuff was pretty prominent? The announcement trailer literally mentions "rewriting history", and the E3 trailer featured New York getting blown up plus Nazi versions of real life history, and every trailer made it pretty drat clear that this was a "The Nazis Won - but let's have a rematch" kind of story. Which is really faithful to what the game actually is. Not sure how much more they could have focused on crazy alternative history stuff than they already did, without being dishonest/making a different game. It's not like it's some super deep stuff, there's just just enough care put into it to not seem completely shallow, though what they do emphasize ties in well with the backstory of some of the characters (Anya/Asylum, London Nautica/English dude, Gibraltar Bridge/Bombate).

Arcsquad12 posted:

Italy turned on the Nazis and were crushed, while Japan was forcefully occupied by their "liberators" following the defeat of mainland China. There are plenty of news clippings at the Kreisau Circle that explain what happened.
Turned on? The only newspaper article I stumbled upon on my latest playthrough was one which portrays it as the Germans in Italy basically just going from defending Italy one moment to blowing up Italians left and right the next.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly looked like she was hesitating to me, she sure got that axe over her head in a hurry though.

Looks like she questions her mother at least, according to this RPS preview:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/19/wolfenstein-the-new-colossus-preview-e3/

I guess we'll see what the real story is this fall! :buddy:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Huh, I thought the alternate history stuff was pretty prominent? The announcement trailer literally mentions "rewriting history", and the E3 trailer featured New York getting blown up plus Nazi versions of real life history, and every trailer made it pretty drat clear that this was a "The Nazis Won - but let's have a rematch" kind of story. Which is really faithful to what the game actually is. Not sure how much more they could have focused on crazy alternative history stuff than they already did, without being dishonest/making a different game. It's not like it's some super deep stuff, there's just just enough care put into it to not seem completely shallow, though what they do emphasize ties in well with the backstory of some of the characters (Anya/Asylum, London Nautica/English dude, Gibraltar Bridge/Bombate).

It's just the impression I got from people who passed over the game when it first came out. The fact that the first level is more grounded and takes place during WWII probably doesn't help, anyone who watched one of those "First 30 Minutes of [x]" videos about Wolfenstein would probably come away thinking it was more like Call of Duty.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's weird that people are down on the first level of TNO because aside from the scripted intro it's one of the better levels in the game from a gameplay standpoint. Plenty of optional areas and you're free to backtrack through most of it if you missed something or want to explre. The asylum level is a bit like this but it's extremely small, and the one right after isn't too bad either despite locking you out of the previous area at one point, but afterwards they start getting more linear, scripted and full of points of no return. Hopefully TNC will improve on this aspect.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guy Mann posted:

It's just the impression I got from people who passed over the game when it first came out. The fact that the first level is more grounded and takes place during WWII probably doesn't help, anyone who watched one of those "First 30 Minutes of [x]" videos about Wolfenstein would probably come away thinking it was more like Call of Duty.
Well, it's kinda hard to market around that, unless you like force the people making those videos to include at least the Asylum intro and a mention early on that there's a reason the weapons include the year of manufacture.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a part of Wolf TNO where it opens up a bit in terms of linearity, and is in kind of a european town setting in daylight, with those mechanical dog things roaming around? I thought I'd played this before but it's really not at all like I remember.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You are probably thinking of Wolf09. TNO has a hub, of sorts, but you travel to and from it at predetermined instances.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The MP40 in Wolf09 is slow garbage. I liked it better in The Saboteur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

The MP40 in Wolf09 is slow garbage. I liked it better in The Saboteur.

I like it just fine, but it gets better when you get a couple upgrades on it.

I've heard good things about The Saboteur, I should pick that up at some point. It's less Weird War but still alternate history, right?