Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LEGO Genetics posted:

I'm thinking about Steredenn

I like shmups, but I'm not sure if I love them.

Any goons wanna convince me?

Dunno about Steredenn, but I need to check: you've played Crimzon Clover, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

I played it for it a couple of hours and thought it was decent enough but then got tired of it due to a number of design decisions. There's too many gimmicky weapons, there's a a gimmicky damage mechanic, boss drop power-ups don't feel impactful or are useless and the variation between sessions isn't enough to make you want to play more.

It wasn't terrible or anything and the production visuals are pretty good but it's one of those games where the flaws became apparent after a few hours of playing and I uninstalled and haven't thought of playing since.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BirdOfPlay posted:

This is true but sucks, cause I always had a softspot for Free Radical. I also feel that way about a lot of games. Like Darkest Days isn't even on sale.

That's less "Steam sale sucks" and more "their publisher sucks and will never put the dang thing on sale so I can suffer through it".

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Batttle Brothers yet but just picked this up today and have been playing all day. It's an SPG turn based RPG in a fantasy setting. You equip and grow a merc company, taking contracts, trading goods and doing everything to earn renown. It's a blast and has gotten very good reviews. 25% off.

Wiki: http://battlebrothers.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Brothers_Wikia

Tips and tricks series for those who dont have time to learn it all yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcy_YiPMmfA

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

-Blackadder- posted:

What do you guys recommend for someone who likes metroidvania's with less/limited platforming? I played SotN like crazy but I can never get into pure platforming games.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet has Metroidvania-style exploration and upgrades, but has no platforming because you control a little spaceship. It's also $3 USD atm.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I bought the supermarket own brand version of N++, Pinkman and it's pretty good. Took me about 80 minutes to complete and while it is very similar to N it had a few interesting additions and most importantly, no falling damage. Would recommend for the current price of half a dollar.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Goon opinions on the following?

Tales off Maj'Eyal $2.37
Dungeonsmans $7.49
Wazhack $2.99
Ziggurat $3.74
Zombie Army Trilogy $8.99
Windward $2.49
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons $1.49
Rack N' Ruin $0.99
Stories: Path of Destinies $3.74
Reigns $1.49
Furi $11.88
Domina $4.99

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 26, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Tales off Maj'Eyal $2.37
Dungeonsmans $7.49
Wazhack $2.99
Ziggurat $3.74
Windward $2.49
Rack N' Ruin $0.99
Reigns $1.49
Furi $11.88
Dominia $4.99

ToME has a free edition on its website, so play it there to find out if you love it or not.

Dungeonmans is 100% good goon-made roguelike.

I don't know any of the others, sorry!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

-Blackadder- posted:

Tales off Maj'Eyal $2.37
Dungeonsmans $7.49
Wazhack $2.99
Ziggurat $3.74
Windward $2.49
Rack N' Ruin $0.99
Reigns $1.49
Furi $11.88
Dominia $4.99

Ziggurat is about as good as FPS roguelikes get right now (which is really, really good) and Brothers is a wonderful little puzzle adventure that's going to kick you right in the emotional nutsack. Good picks, those.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

I wonder...if I was to get one transformers game, which one should I get? I am open to other robot games as well. Fall of Cybertron looks great, but there is one by Plat games.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Brothers is great, needs a controller though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Octal posted:

I wonder...if I was to get one transformers game, which one should I get? I am open to other robot games as well. Fall of Cybertron looks great, but there is one by Plat games.

War for Cybertron is, in my humble opinion, the best of the best three - War for/Fall of, and Devastation.

Devastation is fun, but it's basically only an okay-to-good Platinum game, and while I adore G1 I felt the plot wasn't as fun to play through as War for/Fall of.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Octal posted:

I'm a sucker for Gen 1 Transformers and Platinum so Devastation would be my choice.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Octal posted:

I haven't played through any of the other ones so I can't speak to those, but the devastation is way better than it has any right to be as a budget platinum title. It also lets you get pretty dang stylish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAmmYQJbo8I

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

LEGO Genetics posted:

Play Diadra Empty instead. And Crimzon Clover if you haven't already.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

AccountingNightmare posted:

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet has Metroidvania-style exploration and upgrades, but has no platforming because you control a little spaceship. It's also $3 USD atm.

It's also absolutely gorgeous with a beautiful soundtrack featuring pieces by Dimmu Borgir. The game itself is... unfortunately a bit rough as far as Metroidvanias go. But the price is right for a game that's a lot of flash if not as much substance. I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQSFpKG1les

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

StrixNebulosa posted:

War for Cybertron is, in my humble opinion, the best of the best three - War for/Fall of, and Devastation.

Devastation is fun, but it's basically only an okay-to-good Platinum game, and while I adore G1 I felt the plot wasn't as fun to play through as War for/Fall of.

What makes War better than Fall? I'm watching someone play Fall and they said it's the second best transformer game and failed to elaborate on what #1 is so it's either devastation or the first one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Octal posted:

What makes War better than Fall? I'm watching someone play Fall and they said it's the second best transformer game and failed to elaborate on what #1 is so it's either devastation or the first one.

In my opinion - with the caveats that I don't play many FPSes/like them, and I'm really, really into Transformers - I feel that War for Cybertron is more fun because the gunplay/gameplay feels more fun - the guns work differently, transforming is fun, and plot-wise, I just like the whole sequence of the Decepticons grabbing new crazy power that leads into the Autobots leading the fight to defend their home, with a fun Trypticon-filled finale. I love that you can co-op the entire campaign with up to two friends, I love the flying levels - it feels fast and fun and very arcade-y - and, damnit, I love the variety of characters along with their powers.

So - Fall of Cybertron took all of this and continued it - and it feels like it's more of a linear FPS campaign? Weapons are handled differently in a way that didn't feel fun, you're stuck with one character per segment, and there's no co-op. You HAVE to be Cliffjumper in this sequence, you HAVE to be Swindle in this part. And I mean, I love these guys, but the levels are less fun free-for-alls and instead now they have stealth sequences and more gimmicks and ughhh no thanks. At least the flying sections were great? (Vortex level, Starscream level, hello!) ((Also I am probably the one person in the world who doesn't care about playing as Grimlock. He's cool but i'd rather be a flier or Soundwave, thanks.))

So I mean, I'd solidly rec both of them along with Devastation, but the fine differences between 'em mean I like War for Cybertron best, then Devastation, then Fall of. (And important to note: all three are great with making the transformed forms feel useful and fun, so they're all great Transformers games.)

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Anyone played Panzer Corps? With all the DLC it's €40. I wasn't quite old enough to get much out of Panzer General back in the day, but this looks cool. Is it?

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

True facts about Transformers: War for Cybertron.

I miss this game so much. It had some of the best multiplayer gaming I've experienced in a game. Is there much of a community playing it still? I'll have to redownload and take a look later tonight.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I feel like making a larger purchase this sale - I'm leaning towards Warhammer Total War, or Xcom 2 - whats the consensus on those?

Manifest Despair
Aug 20, 2008

Moreau posted:

I feel like making a larger purchase this sale - I'm leaning towards Warhammer Total War, or Xcom 2 - whats the consensus on those?

I just made a similar decision, and I went with Xcom 2. My friends said Warhammer TW was ok but they were disappointed with it. They had huge boners and endless praise for Xcom 2, plus I prefer turn-based games.

Edit: I also checked out their play-time, they all clocked in 50-100 hours with Xcom 2 compared with 10 or less hours with Warhammer TW.

Manifest Despair fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 26, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Go for XCOM2, Total Warhammer 2 seems to be shaping up as the definitive game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Communist Q posted:

I miss this game so much. It had some of the best multiplayer gaming I've experienced in a game. Is there much of a community playing it still? I'll have to redownload and take a look later tonight.

That MP scene was totally dead mere months after release, unfortunately. A real shame too since it was really fun.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
When I previously asked about recommendations for Minecraft-likes, I forgot to specify that I was asking about Minecraft-likes with Minecrafts block world style building. I'm trying to find the best out of games that look like Minecraft, Castleminer Z, FortressCraft Evolved, and Block Story, etc.

e: vvv Yeah, I took off Reigns, ToME, WazHack, and Rack N' Ruin.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 26, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Tales off Maj'Eyal $2.37
Dungeonsmans $7.49
Wazhack $2.99
Ziggurat $3.74
Windward $2.49
Rack N' Ruin $0.99
Reigns $1.49
Furi $11.88
Domina $4.99

I'd agree that you should play the free version of ToME first and that Brothers is great but needs a controller - and preferably you should beat it in a single session, it only takes a few hours.

Windward was far too shallow for me, Reigns is a good phone game but it really feels like a phone game and is best played in short, 5-10 minute sessions IMO. Also, a lot of the choices in Reigns are just about balancing the four meters and don't really change anything, only a few choices actually impact the future of your kingdom. It's more of a weird puzzle/story game than actual kingdom management.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 26, 2017

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Moreau posted:

They're both fantastic. If you're a fan of TW in general, Warhammer might be the best of the series. XCOM 2 is also excellent, better than the first IMO. I guess I would say XCOM on the grounds of it being a more popular, mainstream game, but you can't really make a wrong choice here.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Titanfall 2 is as good as Doom but doesn't overstay its welcome.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Krazyface posted:

They're both fantastic. If you're a fan of TW in general, Warhammer might be the best of the series. XCOM 2 is also excellent, better than the first IMO. I guess I would say XCOM on the grounds of it being a more popular, mainstream game, but you can't really make a wrong choice here.

Based on the feedback, I opted to go for XCOM - but I'll throw Warhammer on the wishlist, and maybe look at it come the Christmas sales.

Thanks all

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

strategery posted:

It is admirable how you are okay being completely and utterly accurate

-Blackadder- posted:

Tales off Maj'Eyal $2.37
Dungeonsmans $7.49

Wazhack $2.99
Ziggurat $3.74
Windward $2.49
Rack N' Ruin $0.99
Reigns $1.49
Furi $11.88
Domina $4.99

Bold stuff is good as hell, zombie army trilogy is good but you need to play with friends or you'll get savaged

Just get reigns on your phone; it's way more suited for it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Nier yes or no

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Alan Smithee posted:

Nier yes or no

Yes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Alan Smithee posted:

Nier yes or no

Very yes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Alan Smithee posted:

Nier yes or no
The original? Yes.

Automata? Very yes.

Goddamit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
uhh denovo though

also 3rd party patches what the hell is this pc leftovers

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Palpek posted:

Titanfall 2 is as good as Doom but doesn't overstay its welcome.

I 110% disagree, I thought TF2 was a very bland shooter experience barring one, maybe two levels. It was just more rescinded Call Of Duty.

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:THIS JUST IN!:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

DO NOT BUY DEAD CELLS ON STEAM!!!

It has over TWICE the discount on Bundle Stars. It's at 27% off and using the code RED5 at checkout gets you an additional 5%. On Steam it's only 15%.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Aw man, I bought it on Steam.

Despite being in Early Access, Dead Cells is really good and if you like roguelikes/platformers you should probably play it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I really love metroidvanias but everyone saying Dead Cells is half-complete has me holding off on actually playing the game. I sunk a ton of time into Hollow Knight and would probably want to do the same to Dead Cells.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Han Nehi posted:

I've heard Titanfall 2 has a good singleplayer campaign. Would it be worth $20 for just singleplayer? I have no interest in playing online.

I bought it solely for this. It's less fun and shorter than Doom, but it's still a fun game that I enjoyed. For $20 it's probably just about right but I wouldn't pay more than that since now I'll probably never play it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alan Smithee posted:

Nier yes or no

yasss

• Locked thread