Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

double nine posted:

Do creatures in alien containment units need to be one-species only to breed? I've got 2 fishbowls with 2x2 critters and the population doesn't change even after extended trips.

Also I've played too much dark souls because I'm constantly conflating titanium with titanite and it's starting to annoy me.

Are they the only creatures in the big tank? There's a limit of 10 creature per tank after which they stop breeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

wtf they removed durability from the knife, that's awesome.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Digirat posted:

wtf they removed durability from the knife, that's awesome.

Yeah that's actually a genuine, for really reals quality of life improvement. I'm stunned.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I look forward to BBQ knife being a mainstay of my on the go diet without needing to make a brand new one every five minutes. Though I'm still hazy on what the difference between regular and hardened knife is right now except "It does 0.04 more damage per swing".

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Does anyone get any productive use out of the camera drones? Mine just seem to be shark fodder, and the only time I ever accomplished something with one was when I happened to have built the scanner room right above the jellyshroom base and stumbled onto it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Section Z posted:

I look forward to BBQ knife being a mainstay of my on the go diet without needing to make a brand new one every five minutes. Though I'm still hazy on what the difference between regular and hardened knife is right now except "It does 0.04 more damage per swing".

Good question. They should bump the damage on the hardened knife or reduce the number of swings required.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Does anyone get any productive use out of the camera drones? Mine just seem to be shark fodder, and the only time I ever accomplished something with one was when I happened to have built the scanner room right above the jellyshroom base and stumbled onto it.

Sure. I used it to get my bearings in the Lava Zone. But I also used it near some reaper territory to get a better look for things.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hexenritter posted:

Good question. They should bump the damage on the hardened knife or reduce the number of swings required.
That could be nice, though I expect my personal desire for "Will one shot tiger plants, a stationary object you can build a suit that makes you immune to them anyways. Maybe biters too" would be considered on par with demanding a knife kill a reaper in 12 swings or less.

I keep trying to be clever and maneuver by tiger plants when being chased by sharks. Then I remember the ecosystem is a sham and they both exist only to aggro on me and sharks willingly shove their faces into thorn spam that can punch through an entire base.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

Are they the only creatures in the big tank? There's a limit of 10 creature per tank after which they stop breeding.

I've done some more experiments, and I'm starting to think that 4 hatched creatures per tank is the max at the moment. I haven't been able to get any higher than that, regardless of species. And yes, they are the only creatures per tank.

e: this is in a base in the nw mushroom forest.

double nine fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 24, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Just got this game earlier thanks to the sale after keeping an eye on it for a while, man is it cool as all hell.

So far the only thing that's disappointed me is that at first I thought the dive reel was one of those safety wires that yanks you back somewhere, only to find it's just a little breadcrumb trail tool. :saddowns:

Also I got to watch an alien laser shoot down my escape, I went through a stargate onto another neat island, then most of the way through exploring it an alien ghost asked me what I am. Good times.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Yardbomb posted:

So far the only thing that's disappointed me is that at first I thought the dive reel was one of those safety wires that yanks you back somewhere, only to find it's just a little breadcrumb trail tool. :saddowns:

That's exactly what I thought it was, but never got around to attempting to use it. An actual OH poo poo GET OUT item would be pretty sweet, though.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Yardbomb posted:

Just got this game earlier thanks to the sale after keeping an eye on it for a while, man is it cool as all hell.

Does it actually work yet? I tried using it quite a while ago but it was clipping through everything which made it completely useless to find my way back through some caves.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

uXs posted:

Does it actually work yet? I tried using it quite a while ago but it was clipping through everything which made it completely useless to find my way back through some caves.

Doesn't seem like it, I played around with it a little but it went a little crazy going through much of actual caves.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Tried it last night, as coded the dive reel sort of clips though everything and will actually swap directions if you go through a vent and there is a new, faster way out. It's more pathfinding the way out rather than where you've been. It sort of works but really needs improvements

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Haven't played in a couple of updates but the new ping manager and the changes to seaglide power usage are both fantastic, I never used that thing because it used to guzzle batteries but now it's really useful.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Since the last update I seem to take damage while outside of a vehicle while in the lava zone.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
How do you guys find new area or orient yourselves? I keep pointing myself in a direction and traveling out to see what I find but I always end up in areas I've already been. I really wish there was an ingame map I could use.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leave beacons in notable places and use the compass accessory (the seamoth has it built in)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Spaseman posted:

How do you guys find new area or orient yourselves? I keep pointing myself in a direction and traveling out to see what I find but I always end up in areas I've already been. I really wish there was an ingame map I could use.

Use the aurora. Anytime you get turned around just surface and look were you are relative to the aurora.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

Well you see. It's "Realistic" that we don't lug around multiple air tanks because a realistic scuba man would not carry multiple heavy tanks... but go gently caress yourself if you bring up that real life tanks have an air capacity reaching untold heights of "At least five minutes"

In actual scuba diving the way players behave in this game would literally kill you stone dead, and not pleasantly.

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011
While I wait for 1.0 to play this again, are there any other survival games similar to subnautica out there to play in the meantime?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Eifert Posting posted:

In actual scuba diving the way players behave in this game would literally kill you stone dead, and not pleasantly.

There is no such thing as decompression / I can hop directly out of a submarine at 1000 meters below.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
Amusing thing for the thread to enjoy. With the new update they changed some of the landmass and part of my base and Cyclops were wedged in solid rock. I was able to unstick my cyclops with lots of of damage and fire outbreaks but not much I can do about the base.

Cant blame em though, early access and all that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

There is no such thing as decompression / I can hop directly out of a submarine at 1000 meters below.
I simply maintain you are wearing a magic future spacesuit which keeps internal pressure perpetually at 1atm complete with it's own air regulator which connects to the O2 tank. It's powered by hopes and dreams.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Lord Zedd posted:

While I wait for 1.0 to play this again, are there any other survival games similar to subnautica out there to play in the meantime?

Diluvion is a sorta submarine steampunk survival rpg exploration thing. No idea how good it is but its 50% off right now and good reviews. Im thinking about it. Has anyone tried it?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Bhodi posted:

I simply maintain you are wearing a magic future spacesuit which keeps internal pressure perpetually at 1atm complete with it's own air regulator which connects to the O2 tank. It's powered by hopes and dreams.

In fairness, given that the usual solutions to real-life diving problems are "go slower" and "wait longer before diving again", trying to model these things with anything approaching realism would probably be terrible for gameplay. You probably could make a good game that presented diving more realistically, but it would have to be something designed from the ground up to incorporate the mechanics in a way that wasn't unbearable (and it would probably involve magical decompression chambers).

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 26, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, real life diving is, well, kind of boring 90% of the time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lord Zedd posted:

I was going to grab Stranded Deep as its on sale right now, but reading reviews, the crafting system just sounds silly. Literally dump everything on the ground. Landless looks like it has more potential, but its too expensive to risk on an early access crafting game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bhodi posted:

It's powered by 02, which is why it needs more O2 at lower levels to maintain 1atm. I'm p. sure this is the actual explanation btw.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I was going to grab Stranded Deep as its on sale right now, but reading reviews, the crafting system just sounds silly. Literally dump everything on the ground. Landless looks like it has more potential, but its too expensive to risk on an early access crafting game.

In a way, I think when you're thinking about "games like Subnautica" you should almost focus more on survival/crafting/exploration games that have a narrative and a goal rather than just the water/underwater part.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

It's powered by 02, which is why it needs more O2 at lower levels to maintain 1atm. I'm p. sure this is the actual explanation btw.

That would be kinda dumb, as you consume more o2 naturally at depth..

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So in an attempt to cool down, I've been treating my live update save as something to poke at in a casual pace and do my best to play like I didn't have mountains of foreknowledge or double checking stuff on the wiki.

Playing like that gave me an invisible roadblock for quite some time. As I was refusing to zip off in the direction of floater island until the game told me about it.

But I forgot that a lot of com transmissions are tied to crafting or building stuff. So the fact I didn't feel the need for a seamoth, prawn, or getting that last scan of a cyclops engine fragment means I had never built a mobile vehichle bay.

And you don't get the transmission from pod 19, the lead in to floater island, until you build a mobile vehicle bay :downs: "Okay, I can SORT of understand that as they probably expect a sane person to want a proper vehichle to travel about 1,000 meters you can seaglide in complete safety through?" Then I built a bio-reactor I had no need for on a hunch, and it triggered the signal from a lifepod that, apparently, has a repulsor blueprint. I have no idea what bio-reactors have to do with that though :sigh:

Most of the the pre-cyclops putzing around is still as chill as I remember though, beyond close calls with Reapers just clipping through entire mountainsides with not a single gently caress given as I travel around the aruora. Though even with high capacity tanks I still wish I could bring two auto-stacking tanks. When I'm taking my sweet time in a wreck having already run low on air... It's not "Thrilling" to stop and empty out my pockets so I have enough space to swap out for my second tank. It's obnoxious.

"Oh no, I only have 15 seconds of air left. Can I throw a couple salted fish and water bottles away in time for the UI to stop fighting me on unequipping my old tank :geno:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 26, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bhodi posted:

It's powered by the violent diarrhea you get from switching diets so abruptly, which is why you have to eat a small grocery store's worth every day.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

endlessmonotony posted:

It's powered by the violent diarrhea you get from switching diets so abruptly, which is why you have to eat a small grocery store's worth every day.

The upshot of our volatile metabolism is getting free lemonade from our stillsuit every five minutes. Though I'm pretty sure right not it's tuned to give you quite as much water needed to survive on alone, it's still pretty handy and I wish we could just make a reinforced stillsuit for the sake of convenience.

Joking aside, I've been pleasantly reminded how overall forgiving the hunger system in this game is compared to bog standard "Survival" games. It's one of the things that first attracted me to Subnautica. More so with fish spawns not being super hosed like they were in the past, and I needed a containment tank ASAP because everything within 300m of the lifepod, and my kelp forest bordering base 200m away from said lifepod was gone, including the stalkers.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Section Z posted:

Joking aside, I've been pleasantly reminded how overall forgiving the hunger system in this game is compared to bog standard "Survival" games. It's one of the things that first attracted me to Subnautica.

This has been pretty great too as someone who just got it, it's hard to go a few feet without a peeper or reginald or something else trundling past that I can scarf down when need be, which is a godsend compared to some other survival games.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wish the stillsuit reduced thirst drain rather than giving you water bottles.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

I wish the stillsuit reduced thirst drain rather than giving you water bottles.

But that means not having to stop and click UI buttons. So they would probably make it only save something abysmal like 5% thirst.

See also: Fruit nerfs vs superior but more button presses involved infinite food. Low energy 20/40 value water bottles, vs slapping on several extra power sources to power a single water filtration machine. Solar/Thermal cell charging vs drainy as gently caress moonpool. etc.

That said, I'm very glad all the essentials are some of the most forgiving power requirements in all of sandbox land that asks you to power equipment. While it is annoying that QoL base techs are absurdly power hungry, it is ONLY QoL base techs that mean you can't run your entire base off a literal single solar panel or Bio reactor forever (Oh right, I keep forgetting Bio recharges slow as molasses. Not so hot for crafting binges).

I'm still salty charge fins have zero speed buff though :v: come on man, it's FINS. Even if they "weigh more because battery poo poo" that would still be more than zero.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 26, 2017

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Section Z posted:

I'm still salty charge fins have zero speed buff though :v: come on man, it's FINS. Even if they "weigh more because battery poo poo" that would still be more than zero.

Turns out they aren't fins so much as just charging boxes strapped to your feet like clogs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magmarashi posted:

Turns out they aren't fins so much as just charging boxes strapped to your feet like clogs.

Ah yes. The charge mini stepper. Also coming soon as alternative base power!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Small patch to "Voice of the Deep" is in the experimental build on Steam:

Power Cells have been removed as a source of power for Cyclops, it will instead pull power from the Swim Charge Fins. To cater for this new change, there is now a seat in the Cyclops pilot area along with a small foot bath to tread water in.
You can run on Silent at all times and at full speed as long as you are sitting in the pilot seat. To balance this, the player will need to manually tread the water with alternating mouse button clicks.