Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Fangames are a good opportunity to do things Gamefreak wouldn't do because of their philosophy or whatever. Why haven't more people tackled the old joining the villain team idea? I've only ever seen one fangame try, it was called Rocket Red I believe, and I think that one gave up after Pallet Town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

dungeon cousin posted:

Fangames are a good opportunity to do things Gamefreak wouldn't do because of their philosophy or whatever. Why haven't more people tackled the old joining the villain team idea? I've only ever seen one fangame try, it was called Rocket Red I believe, and I think that one gave up after Pallet Town.

Dungeon there are about 20 fan games with that premise. And they're all poo poo.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
I'd like to join in that I'd like to play a join-the-evil-team Pokemon, especially if there are different paths by the choices you make. Like the recent Fire Emblem was trying to do and like KOTOR did. Maybe have you able to start as a grunt with the generic rat Mon to start, maybe upgrade to a lovely poison or dark type after you beat the 'Good guys, etc.

Also I like the one-eyed Tangrowth

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Haifisch posted:

It's swearing written by people who are just doing it to be edgy, meaning they don't have the writing chops to make it flow naturally. Those fuckers.

This is what struck me about the swearing kid in that last update, it made the game seem juvenile.

One of the ironies of maturity is that displays of maturity usually come across as immature. Swearing is a signifier of maturity, but it does not ipso facto make your game skew older, it may just make the mentality behind the game appear childish. There's little as childish as frantically trying to appear like an adult. I could see an alternate universe where the purpose behind the kid was to show that he was actually very childish and trying to childishly look like a grown-up, but the writing behind Reborn has been far too spotty to suggest it was intentional.

As for the fangames discussion those are the things I occasionally praise Reborn for. I like the idea of being set largely in a big city, I dislike every single thing this game has done with it. One of the possible virtues of a fangame or a work of fanfiction is that it can explore different aspects of a setting or look at things from a different perspective to the canon material. The problem is that pulling it off demands a baseline of quality and Fanworks have a notorious and completely justified reputation for being largely crap.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of good hacks, this discussion has been made, but, theoretically, what would be a good hack for you?

Touhou Puppet Dance Performance: Yume no Kakera but with a full translation, Pokemon Sage but finished.

Other than that: Walking pokemon, something a little more in-depth than 'beat league then champion' but not 'please enjoy this cutscene of my self-insert torturing a dude' depth, and just... good feels, I guess? I play pokemon games because I like the idea of going out and being best friends with every sort of adorable fauna that comes my way, which is sort of antithetical to the sort of 'the world is a cruel and awful place, mostly because pokemon' thing that a lot of these fan games have going on.

Also, I really like fakemon.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I've hated how much more dialogue and story GM have added to Pokemon. Every time I get to a new route, I recoil as some jack-rear end comes up to me and just talks forever. Then some legendary Pokemon gets hosed with by some shits in jumpsuits and someone lectures me about morality or something.

My ideal hack would excise that. I wouldn't necessarily eschew story altogether, but keep a little verisimilitude I guess. Every game introduces some new world-ending conflict.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FELD1 posted:

Every game introduces some new world-ending conflict.

This does get annoying.

I think it's kind of nice that SuMo actually tones it down. Lusamine's plan actually succeeds entirely. It's just that the outcome she wanted and got is just... her being stuck in Ultra Space. You only really want to stop her because she's messing with your friends, Lillie and Nebby.

I wouldn't necessarily be against a plot that doesn't drag in legendary pokemon at all, though.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

That's one bit of criticism I have with the storylines newer Pokemon games follow. There's a definite sense of spectacle creep in regards to villainous plots. Once the plot becomes about saving the universe, where do you go from there?

Although I do like that newer games also introduces a mysterious character who is very important to the plot but not the villain themselves (N, AZ, Zinnia and Lillie). But in order for fangames to do this, they need to know how to write an engaging character that people would be interested in... Which as you can see, they have difficulty with that.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zuzie posted:

That's one bit of criticism I have with the storylines newer Pokemon games follow. There's a definite sense of spectacle creep in regards to villainous plots. Once the plot becomes about saving the universe, where do you go from there?

Although I do like that newer games also introduces a mysterious character who is very important to the plot but not the villain themselves (N, AZ, Zinnia and Lillie). But in order for fangames to do this, they need to know how to write an engaging character that people would be interested in... Which as you can see, they have difficulty with that.

I'd say they're willing to back off on escalation
DP was about destroying/recreating the universe, but BW1 & 2 were just world domination plots featuring fairly strong dragons. XY was a step up: world destruction plot, but still a far cry from DP's. SM was also about a similar vein at first, but then it transitions to Lillie wanting to rescue her mother and tell her off. Once lusamine steps into the ultra dimension her plans are done, everything after that is for Lillie's sake, not the world's

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
DP managed to pull it off mostly because the bad guy team was really silly and most of the NPC realized that and gave them poo poo for it. It was a world-saving plot but it never felt quite that serious, a good decision IMO.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere on these forums that the guy who did the translation into English was a goon so maybe that was a factor as well; the Galaxy Grunts and Looker managed to lighten the atmosphere pretty consistently.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

anilEhilated posted:

DP managed to pull it off mostly because the bad guy team was really silly and most of the NPC realized that and gave them poo poo for it. It was a world-saving plot but it never felt quite that serious, a good decision IMO.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere on these forums that the guy who did the translation into English was a goon so maybe that was a factor as well; the Galaxy Grunts and Looker managed to lighten the atmosphere pretty consistently.

Douglas Dinsdale was the goon translator from the start until (but not including I believe) Platinum. He's responsible for "I like shorts".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

anilEhilated posted:

Also because most Galactic Grunts don't know what the hell their leader wants to do. And Cyrus even outright admits they're all idiots who're basically in a cult and don't know what the gently caress is going on.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Onmi posted:

Also because most Galactic Grunts don't know what the hell their leader wants to do. And Cyrus even outright admits they're all idiots who're basically in a cult and don't know what the gently caress is going on.

This is true of about half the villainous teams out there.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Team Skull is both the stupidest and the smartest team of the entire series. "Hey, protagonist! I just watched you blast through two other Skull members! I'm not even gonna try to fight you, go right on through, I don't get paid enough for this poo poo."

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"

Given that both Wonder Trading and normal trading exists in this game, we can theoretically get a Pokemon with Cut before we've even fought Victoria back in the last update. And Julia's badge permits us to use Cut right now.

Okay, where did Florinia go to get to the park entrance?

If she got here through that tree, why didn't she cut the tree down for us? Yeah, tecnically it can be implied that Amaria was the one who gave me the Cut HM, but she is the Grass-type gym leader and thus should have a copy of the Cut HM herself.

If she got here through the slums, why were those cops on the other side of the slums blocking me from entering the park? She allowed the cops from the Opal Ward to permit me access to Obsidia in the first place, why didn't she do the same to the cops blocking access to the park?

:psyduck:

Speaking of the cops, if we ignore the two gym leaders and tried to go back here, the cops are blocking the way.

If we cut down that tree directly blocking the park entrance or talk to the gym leaders and get the Cut HM, the main storyline variable advances.

In fact, in advances so far as to completely nullify a lot of the story poo poo from the previous update up to here. This spans from Victoria blocking the entry to the slums, to the Scraggy gang stuff, to the cutscene with Cain and that Oshawott, to those cops blocking the way.

Oh and we can make Pokemon forget HM moves normally here, which is probably why they're renamed TMXs now.

This can be a problem if we used Cut to get rid of that tree guarding the park without talking to those gym leaders to get the HM for Cut in the first place.

Cutting that tree initiates the event where they run off and get caught by the Tangrowth, which means you can screw yourself out of that HM (possibly permanently).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Up to the "Episode 14" release of the game, the Tangrowth actually turned the Obsidia Park into a whole dungeon.

Here's the full-sized map for the now-unused overgrown Obsidia Park.

Here you would have encountered a couple Meteor Grunts and some of the Pokemon normally found in the Obsidia Park on your way to the Tangrowth.

It also made use of the Forest terrain during battles.

Said Forest terrain background actually looked like a background with trees prior to now. Not sure why it got 'overhauled' into an awful-looking bunch of rectangular gradients it is now.

I'll be covering the Forest terrain at the end of this update. The Tangrowth in this version of the game has no special terrain to screw you over, but the Tangrowth you fight in this unused dungeon has the Forest terrain assisting it, and we'll need context to see how bad the fight was before.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Music: Sinister Uprising

The following italicized text is a paraphrased version of the linked cutscene: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147994

Eve, make the Tangrowth work faster before more of those twerps come and jeopardize our plans! It's a miracle those two gym leaders' idea of stopping us were 'run in and hope for the best'.

No can do, it's Level 22. I'm a scientist, not a miracle worker.

Well, while this young lady's here, let's introduce... um... 'ourselves' I guess.

I'm Zero. I'm the big brain leading this operation.

I'm Eve. I'm the nerd brain who made this PULSE Machine. You put a Pokemon in it and its destructive potential increases a hundredfold! It also gets uglier due to mutation, but what the hey.

I'm Lumi and I'm a lamebrain, I think!

Yes, we are 3 different people in one body. Why, we dunno. Just call us ZEL.

Sorry but your quest will be over here. Take our PULSE Tangrowth and farewell!!

Okay ZEL's VS portrait is owtheedge.png.

Music: Meteor Admin Battle (Original remix of the GSC Champion Battle theme)

And that battle music manages to be even edgier somehow holy poo poo.

The trainer sprite looks nothing like the VS sprite what even is this what the holy gently caress is wrong with everything.

With all of this poo poo coming at us surely the star of this update would follow suit.

Holy gently caress it's the most stupid looking thing I've ever seen this is so stupid and I hate everything and fangames make me want to be dead and so on and so fourth and now it's dead. :geno:

If you're expecting a big showdown between me and this thing, then I'm glad to disappoint you.**

Music: Major Victory (GlitchxCity's Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

Eve: Okay, who had the bright idea not to fight this twerp with our own Pokemon?

Lumi: It was me. Sorry about that Miss Tangrowth.

Zero: Eve, you said this Tangrowth would be stronger in battle as well!

Eve: Actually, its defensive stats have more than doubled thanks to this machine... at the cost of its offensive stats and its speed. And apparently this squirrel's attack ignores defense, so...

Zero: :what: We're taking the machine and getting the hell out of dodge. Enjoy your victory while you can, twerp.

Good thing Enoby defeated that thing so quickly. I was actually getting strangled by that vine. I'm gonna try and forget that when I report to Ame.

* leaves through the south exit.*

Well that was embarassing. I'll just go and wait for you at the Onyx Ward's gym. Bye.

* leaves through the east exit.*

Before we continue on, I really must rant about this thing.

That is seriously Mega Evolution except done with a stupid machine acting as a Mega Stone.

Isn't it already transformed in the overworld map? Couldn't they do something like Giratina with the Griseous Orb and make it so that the PULSE item makes it start the battle already transformed?

You may be wondering how bad it can get if you're fighting it normally without Bide or inflated stats due to trade experience bonuses.

This bad. Don't fight enemies like this normally. You will cry.

As it's Grass/Poison in this form, it takes somewhat decent damage from a STAB Psybeam.

This may be skewed as we have a Level 23 Espurr with Psybeam which is most likely not a thing in a normal blind playthrough at this point.

Speaking of which, the game seems to favor Psychic-types in this part of the game. From 2 of our three rivals' main types being weak to Psychic, the third rival's ace also being weak to Psychic, and now this.

As the Tangrowth went through what is clearly Mega Evolution, its stats are also changed.

Here's Tangrowth's base stats before and after the PULSE mutation:

pre:
Type:            Grass->Grass/Poison
Ability:         ???->Filter (Reduces Super-Effective damage by 3/4)
HP:              100->100
Attack:          100-> 70
Defense:         125->200
Speed:            50-> 10
Special Attack:  110-> 70
Special Defense:  50->160
Total:           535->610
The good news is that its attacking stats are lower than that of a normal Tangrowth, thank god.

The bad news is that in return, its defense stats are raised to ridiculous levels, and with Filter it reduces non-STAB super-effective attacks to the same effectiveness as normal STAB attacks because gently caress you.

I'm pretty sure the main reason its Speed is dropped to 10, slower than a Snorlax's, is to make sure its base stat total is less than 100 more than a normal Tangrowth's stat total, and thus not Mega Evolution. :smug:

The Tangrowth has for each stat 33 EVs and 7 IVs. The 33 EVs are generated from the Pokemon's level times x1.5.

The Tangrowth also has the Calm Nature which boosts Special Defense but lowers Attack.

Take all of that together and the result is this monstrosity:***

For comparison, here's the stats of everybody I've been seriously leveling up to this point:****

ZEL's strategy is have Tangrowth power itself up with Growth and reduce your Sepcial Defense with Acid Spray. This allows it to eventually do massive damage and massive healing with Mega Drain.

This fight's not only a battle of attrition but also a battle where you have to beat the opponent as quickly as possible before the Tangrowth can power itself up enough to wipe you.

(Un)fortunately PULSE Tangrowth is nowhere near as bad as the many other examples like it, since at least you'll probably have either Espurr or Woobat to fill the role of the Psychic-type at this point, so you have something that can deal some damage normally before it can set itself up to kill you.

The usual intended way to beat it and anything else like it, though, is to lower its stats. Here we can lower its Special Defense with Trubbish's Acid Spray and then kill it before it wipes you.

Later on, we'll encounter Pokemon like this that can also sweep you from the start, where that option becomes less viable. Bide also doesn't work against such foes like it does here since, you have to survive two turns.

Thankfully, if we're smart enough, we can beat them via less painful methods.

For example, we have Perish Song. Okay, you may not even known that the Igglybuff can start with Perish Song, but it's there.

Igglybuff evolves by friendship, which means it can evolve at a reasonable level if you know what you're doing.

And it turns out we can find a Moon Stone in the slums to evolve it again into something tanky (at least for this part of the game).

Also we have Quick Claw, so if worse comes to worst and even surviving to pull off Perish Song becomes impossible, savescumming until Quick Claw procs is your best bet, and is probably still less painful than trying to beat one of these things legit.

There are other ways to cheese these kinds of fights or problematic Pokemon in general, but we'll cover them later.

Now that we've covered the current version of the Tangrowth fight, let's cover the Forest terrain that we would've been forced to fight it in had we've been playing the 'Episode 14' release.

I'll just cover here what was relevant to the fight before it was nerfed while putting all the details of the Forest terrain behind this gif link:

The Forest terrain boosts 3 out of Tangrowth's 4 moves. It makes its Growth move boost Attack and Special Attack by 2 stages each, and it boosts its Mega Drain and Vine Whip attacks by x1.5.

This means that even more so than the current version of the fight, you'll have to cheese it to prevent it from quickly overpowering you.

The only upside to fighting the Tangrowth in the Forest terrain is that you can create the Burning Field terrain using certain Fire-type moves.

It won't cover the Burning Field here, but it basically wrecks the Tangrowth.

Problem is, you won't know that you can do this, especially since you won't even learn that there even is a Burning Field terrain in the first place.

Worse, out of the Pokmeon we can get right now, only Numel and Pansear can learn such moves.

The former has Flame Burst upon getting it, but there's no indication that it can even be obtained at this point, and the latter learns Flame Burst at level 22.

To conclude:

Credit to Panzer Skank's LP of OFF which you should play or read if you haven't yet.

Now that we got that hurdle out of the way, we are going to be collecting some more Pokemans before we challenge Florinia. Should be more relaxing than what we had to go through.

Um...

I hate jinxing myself.

**I had to reduce Ceodore's level from level 20 because otherwise it would have to be hit during both charging turns with critical hits in order to lose 40+ HP needed to deal more than the Tangrowth's 79 HP in the final blow, and that would take a lot of savescumming.

***I created this screenshot by generating a new Pokemon entry via Debug stuff with the PULSE Tangrowth's battle sprite and stats and the normal Tangrowth's menu icon and details.

****The levels for the menu Ebony/Blitzle and Raven/Espurr are lower than the ones shown actually fighting the Tangrowth because those were from an earlier test playthrough.

New Music:

Meteor Admin Battle (Original remix of the GSC Champion Battle theme)

Old Music:

Major Victory (GlitchxCity's Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

Sinister Uprising

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 26, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pokemon Mechanightmare? What the gently caress?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm trying to think if there's an actual pokemon bulkier than this monstrosity and I don't think there is. I mean there are a few special and physical walls that can individually do either of those jobs better but 100/200/160 with Filter is just some stupid nonsense.

Oh look a fully evolved Klinklang that's 10 levels higher than your current level cap :effort:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

No. No no no. NO. No that is just not right. That bulk is just...No!

Like holy poo poo that's just so unfair to the player. I don't give a poo poo if this is a fangame and you're making games for "experienced players" that is just awful to pull. God, fangames are a mistake (says someone who makes romhacks for a hobby).

Argh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
What the hell. From a gameplay standpoint, that isn't something that would exist in an actual game (at least, not counting legendaries) because that would be so awful to fight.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

So one of the problems we keep seeing and discussing is a lack of compelling or even tolerable characters. I can't help but feel like a lot of these would be much deeper if, rather than just trying to write them like the lovely novelists most of these "devs" clearly want to be, maybe they should play as some of these characters in the PTU tabletop RPG system. Actually playing versions of several of my old characters certainly helped me flesh out their history, thought processes, and motivations.

But that might require them to have friends, so this solution may be beyond them. :/

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I was about to say "just poison it", but then I realized they added a poison typing to it. Rude.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"This Mega Evolved PULSE Tangrowth isn't unbalanced at all! See, its Attack and Special Attack stats have been reduced (to a stat level that's still equal to or greater than every single one of the Pokemon that you have up to this point)!" -the creators of Pokemon Reborn, who wouldn't know what good game design was if it slapped all of them in the face

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So yeah, welcome to one of the biggest stone walls in the early game. You're underlevelled, it's a fully evolved pokemon that becomes a complete tank and is built to pump itself up and sweep your team, literally the only way it could have been worse would be giving it Synthesis. Also, as you can see, it's Grass/Poison, so what's with all the machine parts? Doesn't matter. Themeing? There's no such thing as a 'Theme' when it comes to designing pokemon, you just slap poo poo on them and that's fine right? See the funny thing is that even Mega's have design in mind, even if it's just "A bigger version of the existing pokemon." God I hate Fakemons of existing Pokemon who don't have any theme or design philosophy behind them.

Raitzeno posted:

So one of the problems we keep seeing and discussing is a lack of compelling or even tolerable characters. I can't help but feel like a lot of these would be much deeper if, rather than just trying to write them like the lovely novelists most of these "devs" clearly want to be, maybe they should play as some of these characters in the PTU tabletop RPG system. Actually playing versions of several of my old characters certainly helped me flesh out their history, thought processes, and motivations.

But that might require them to have friends, so this solution may be beyond them. :/

Actually Rai, these are all their characters from their little Real life RP group.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Onmi posted:

Actually Rai, these are all their characters from their little Real life RP group.

yeah i was gonna say, most of the named npcs we've seen so far have some overly present obnoxious quirk in place of any actual personality and that crops up plenty of times in terrible rp groups

it's like a whole drat game of fishmalks

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
100 HP, 200 DEF, 160 SpD.

Your party is maybe level 20.

This thing is tankier than Defense Forme Deoxys, Mega Slowbro, Mega Steelix, and Mega Aggron. (The latter two by virtue of having gonzo SpD in comparison and higher HP, despite the two Megas having a higher DEF)

And it can heal itself.

And it has Filter.

And this is before the terrain comes into play.

...This is probably just the tip of the iceberg too.

Hoooo boooooy.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

They probably thought they were being kind and merciful by giving it Mega Drain and Vine Whip instead of any of the nastier grass moves.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
And they would have been. If the other two moves weren't Growth and especially Acid Spray.

What actually tears me up about this fight is that if you wanted to present this early on in the game, it might have worked if they would frame it as a puzzle boss of sorts. Keep it in the forest terrain with the aim of getting the burning terrain as the intended solution, but properly allude to and foreshadow that you might need one of a few specific Fire moves, maybe make that required Fire move a TM that you can find without too much hassle, and pepper the area leading up to that with a few Pokemon that can learn the move either from the TM or the very near future via level up.

or you know they could have taken a step back and realized what a horrifying monstrosity they've unleashed upon the early game that spikes the difficulty to an insane level and maybe replace it with a more reasonable boss

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well gently caress. :psyduck:

Really, though, it'd be a smidge fairer for the player if they'd made it, say, Grass/Steel (like you'd probably be lead to believe from it's sprite), if only because having a 4x weakness would make it at least something approaching feasible to beat inside of Reborn's rules without some insane luck.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
MECHANIGHTMARE

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

They probably thought they were being kind and merciful by giving it Mega Drain and Vine Whip instead of any of the nastier grass moves.
That and also the "debuffs" to Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. Their idea of balance is pretty warped.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah i was gonna say, most of the named npcs we've seen so far have some overly present obnoxious quirk in place of any actual personality and that crops up plenty of times in terrible rp groups

it's like a whole drat game of fishmalks
Considering the only characters I can remember are I LIKE EXPLOSIONS, I Talk Exactly Like A Robot, and We Are Multiple Personalities, I think you're onto something here.

It reminds me of what happens to real characters once fanartists/writers get their hands on them. Conveying actual personality is hard, so fancreators just latch onto a few key quirks and let the viewer/reader's imagination do the rest.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Well gently caress. :psyduck:

Really, though, it'd be a smidge fairer for the player if they'd made it, say, Grass/Steel (like you'd probably be lead to believe from it's sprite), if only because having a 4x weakness would make it at least something approaching feasible to beat inside of Reborn's rules without some insane luck.

Honestly I think just getting rid of Mega Drain and giving it, I don't know, Magical Leaf or something would go a long way to cutting down on how nonsense it is. Being guaranteed to go second every turn in a 6v1 is an actual weakness and, assuming no Mega Drain, even with that level of bulk a properly setup team with enough time to get the requisite debuffs going early should be able to reasonably chip away at it.

This is assuming, of course, that the slate of mostly middling pokemon we've been saddled with thus far are even capable of executing such a game plan.

EDIT - And obviously the real solution is to redo the entire encounter from the ground up with less stupid stat distributions and other unfair BS but I want to at least try to be charitable to the idea that their crazy design decisions could be not quite so crazy with just a little tweaking rather than an intense overhaul :colbert:

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 26, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

You know, I almost thought it was a Grass/Steel type and went "Oh so it works because the dungeon before we caught nothing but fighting types. That makes sense it's getting you mons to fight the upcoming mon." But... no. The only pokemon, if we did not start with a fire type, is Numel?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Either we're not going to find out about why ZEL is three personalities in one, or it's going to be explained to us in very full and excruciating detail. No middle ground.

As bad as Uranium is, its plot, characters, dialog, and mechanics don't hold a candle to what I've seen in Reborn. And we're only one gym in. gently caress me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

Either we're not going to find out about why ZEL is three personalities in one, or it's going to be explained to us in very full and excruciating detail. No middle ground.

As bad as Uranium is, its plot, characters, dialog, and mechanics don't hold a candle to what I've seen in Reborn. And we're only one gym in. gently caress me.

I will at least say, we will in fact learn what's up with ZEL.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Love the villain with DID, that's original and not lovely at all.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Theirs must be some lovely tabletop sessions, then. This kinda makes me feel more sorry for them rather than angry that they can't write for poo poo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

Theirs must be some lovely tabletop sessions, then. This kinda makes me feel more sorry for them rather than angry that they can't write for poo poo.

No no it wasn't an actual pen and paper game it was an RP group in the chatroom sense of "I'm going to play a character" and then they handle their fights in a battle simulator. That's also why there's more than 8 Gym Leaders here. Well that and... other reasons we'll get to.

Waffleman_ posted:

Love the villain with DID, that's original and not lovely at all.

Hahahahahahaha You'll wish that was what's going on

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Onmi posted:

No no it wasn't an actual pen and paper game it was an RP group in the chatroom sense of "I'm going to play a character" and then they handle their fights in a battle simulator. That's also why there's more than 8 Gym Leaders here. Well that and... other reasons we'll get to.

I had a feeling that's what you meant by RP. Having been involved with that kind of thing myself as a stupid kid, I can confirm it can escalate into terrible places because you have multiple writing reinforcing each other's bad ideas, while simultaneously trying to match each other. One character with a tragic backstory or being distressed by current events tends to result in other players turning up the angst themselves, until it turns into an edgy, convoluted clusterfuck of a story that no player wants to criticize because they're all friends. Given that, I suppose it's too much to hope for that ZEL got rewrites in the transition to a bigger audience, to get rid of any and all sour characterization they had in their first incarnation...? Not that I can personally speak about DID and how to write characters with it.

But in general, whenever someone writes their story with a lot of people with trait X in it, I get wary that they're only doing it for Cool Points or Karma Tokens and that they don't actually care about portraying it respectfully. (see: Uranium giving the player a NB option, then later making a huge deal and running gag out of a male NPC who wears nothing but a skirt.) I'm not optimistic that Reborn isn't going down that road, between some contextless spoilers I've heard, and that one trainer that was talking about people getting "gypped". But I'm sure actually seeing the story in action will shatter my expectations, good or bad.

Also what the gently caress, those stats on PULSE Tangrowth are absolutely disgusting. It's got Filter on top of those defenses? I have no idea how to balance a game, but I feel like a tank boss is a bad idea this early into the game, since most Pokemon wouldn't have bloomed into heavy hitters by now.

---

On a semi-related note, I wanted to check some early-game things myself. iirc, there were a few questions on why shiny Arbok had a radiation symbol on its body? I mean, besides the Cool Points.

I have no clue if nuclear waste is plot-relevant in the future, but at least it seems there's some backstory of irradiation going on. Great minds truly think alike, or something,

...I also mashed buttons trying to place myself in front of what looked like a door, while running on fast forward, and uh

Actually pretty nice, for something I slammed my face into by accident. I forgot to do any testing on how it worked, though, particularly with any three-ability Pokemon. (If I missed this part in the LP anywhere, sorry for bringing up old news.)

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Onmi posted:

Hahahahahahaha You'll wish that was what's going on

:munch:

Oh my.

• Locked thread