Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm watching the episode for the 3rd time tonight. I can't even believe this exists. How did we get so lucky? :swoon:

We're all dead and this is the dream of the doppleganger of a weird tree thing.

Sleep tight.

Edit: poo poo...new page...uhh...

Come back to us, Dougie.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Gatekeeper posted:

But i thought learning TM depended very much on how much money you have :(

It really does. Kind of depressing that Lynch still supports those con artists.

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd1b4zcjaUg&t=10s
:nws:

Good episode, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There's so many goddamn woodsmen outside this convenience store. It really seems like in the ant colony of the Black Lodge, the woodsmen are the drones working for the queen (the glass box spirit that gives birth to the frog roach, I guess?).
Lynch watched a PBS special on quantum mechanics so what we are seeing is not many woodsmen but in fact the probability distribution of one woodsman, much like an atomic orbital.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I loved this new episode but gently caress I was confused by it.

Did "The" Nine Inch Nails summon DoppleCoop back to life?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Raxivace posted:

I loved this new episode but gently caress I was confused by it.

Did "The" Nine Inch Nails summon DoppleCoop back to life?

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Cicadalek posted:

I'm going to make a list of questions I had after this episode so I can come back and see if they ever get answered:

- Ray drives away after the killing but it's interesting that he's aware BadCoop might not be dead, and even so he's willing to try and kill him again. Who exactly is working against Bob that's able to turn the people he hired against him so

Phillip Jeffries. Ray is FBI, apparently?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This epsiode is flying over my head. I'm not as intimate with Lynch's filmography as i'd like to be, but this episode came off as a lot of something comparable to "Eraserhead, but less visually compelling".

I'll have to re-watch but htis feels like a big miss of an episode so far. I'm not done watching but yeah..... eh.

I invite someone to help me explain waht is happening. After evil coop gets shot I lost all frame of reference for what the gently caress was happening. More surreal dreamy poo poo from lynch I guess.

FYI I love the revival so far, but I don't get, at all, this episode.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is the greatest tv show.

Holy gently caress. gently caress HOLY
gently caress
gently caress

holy poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wonder why the woodsman's spell kills a bunch of people but just puts that girl to sleep. Is it a test to see who's immune to it, which determines who would make the best human host for the frog roach?

e: Actually maybe it's just putting them all to sleep. Nevermind.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 26, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"The" NIN

im blown away. im unable to

yeah.

god drat.

god drat.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is the most significant piece of surrealist art.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
This episode also makes an amazing entry point into twin peaks for uninitiated victims people.

This is the genesis myth of twin peaks.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

basic hitler posted:

I invite someone to help me explain waht is happening.

After Coop got shot he was resurrected by hobo spirits.

After that was a NIN live video.

After that was a creation myth presented as an homage to 2001:a space odyssey (the Monolith-shaped window/stargate was a spectacular touch).

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

basic hitler posted:

This epsiode is flying over my head. I'm not as intimate with Lynch's filmography as i'd like to be, but this episode came off as a lot of something comparable to "Eraserhead, but less visually compelling".

I'll have to re-watch but htis feels like a big miss of an episode so far. I'm not done watching but yeah..... eh.

I invite someone to help me explain waht is happening. After evil coop gets shot I lost all frame of reference for what the gently caress was happening. More surreal dreamy poo poo from lynch I guess.

What parts specifically are you not able to glean some meaning from?

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

I wonder why the woodsman's spell kills a bunch of people but just puts that girl to sleep. Is it a test to see who's immune to it, which determines who would make the best human host for the frog roach?

Does it kill people though? Or did they all just go to sleep? (Edit: And I just mean the people that heard things. Obviously the head crushing folks weren't in for a nap.)

I thought the last episode did a good job of wrapping up some loose story lines, but this one just says "figure this out, bitches!"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

what the gently caress

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Baloogan posted:

This is the greatest tv show.

Holy gently caress. gently caress HOLY
gently caress
gently caress

holy poo poo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

pissdude posted:

What parts specifically are you not able to glean some meaning from?

Literally everything after coop is shot/the overly long nin video ( i don't like NiN and i skipped it lol)

I dont' understand what the gently caress happens for more or less the majority of the episode. I just wrapped it up and I'm not sure i"m gonna put up with that again unless someone can impart some information here that makes me think it's something that will actually tie back into the main plot of the return series, instead of nearly one full hour of david lynch engaging in masturbatory abstract imagery with nothing but the most superficial and ultimately meaningless connections to anything that's happened so far or will happen.

it honestly doesn't even feel like that was made for Twin peaks. He just shoved it in to pad out an episode.

Baloogan posted:

what the gently caress

I know you're a savant of shitposting in c-spam and gbs but in this thread that's in TVIV can you be useful here?? i'm trying to enjoy the show but this episode was just an artist jacking off onto a canvass as far as i can tell.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

e: Actually maybe it's just putting them all to sleep. Nevermind.

I think, watching it again, they're all just going to sleep

On the other hand, she's the only one who just happens to actually be on a bed, instead of working a diner or on a car

also I gotta rewatch it, but it looked like there was maybe more what the hellsits in that egg? But I'd need to watch again to check

Maybe the whole group of folks listening that night are gonna get frog-roached D:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

basic hitler posted:

unless someone can impart some information here that makes me think it's something that will actually tie back into the main plot of the return series,

Well, a big black tar ball with BOB's face on it came out of Coop when he got shot, and then that same tar ball came out of the monster lady after the nuke thing happened. That's a good place to start.

nopants
May 29, 2004
explain everything to me right now thread. geez

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

I know you're a savant of shitposting in c-spam and gbs but in this thread that's in TVIV can you be useful here??

no

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Danzig died. Cooper should be awake!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

basic hitler posted:

Literally everything after coop is shot/the overly long nin video ( i don't like NiN and i skipped it lol)

I dont' understand what the gently caress happens for more or less the majority of the episode. I just wrapped it up and I'm not sure i"m gonna put up with that again unless someone can impart some information here that makes me think it's something that will actually tie back into the main plot of the return series, instead of nearly one full hour of david lynch engaging in masturbatory abstract imagery with nothing but the most superficial and ultimately meaningless connections to anything that's happened so far or will happen.

it honestly doesn't even feel like that was made for Twin peaks. He just shoved it in to pad out an episode.

I know you're a savant of shitposting in c-spam and gbs but in this thread that's in TVIV can you be useful here?? i'm trying to enjoy the show but this episode was just an artist jacking off onto a canvass as far as i can tell.

You mean besides it seems to be about the creation of the lodges and maybe why the FBI are so interested in these type of cases and what blue rose is and blue cases are?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

basic hitler posted:

How do you see a bunch of explanation for how the Lodges work, which people have been waiting for for 25 years now and were completely wrong about because it's different than everyone thought, and say "he just shoved it in to pad out an episode"? :psyduck:

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is the greatest television show I have ever seen :stare:

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go be too terrified to ever sleep again......

Lanz
May 30, 2013

basic hitler posted:

short version seems to be

- We flash back to the first of the Atomic Bomb tests. As the bomb explodes, we press ever further into the core of the explosion. poo poo Is Trippy. We probably go deeper than the atom itself which has been split into it's subatomic particles

- We witness the entity from episode 1 expel what one might at this time best call "cosmic vomit." Inside this expulsion is a shitton of eggs and one weird rear end rock thing that appears to contain BOB (previously seen as the spectral Woodsmen tear into a comatose Doppelganger).

-ELSEWHERE, we return to the place from episode... 3? I think it was 3. That place with the purple infinite sea that Cooper landed on when he just so happened to fall out of nonexistence and into... some plane of existence. In one of the upper stories of this place is a black and white room with a woman, some otherworldly contraption, and the Giant/?????.

- The Giant seems to realize something, and goes to a theatre room that is depicting all of the atomic bomb/BOB stuff happening. He is... rather concerned. He floats up and, in a Zeus like fashion, appears to birth Laura Palmer's soul out of his forehead. The woman from before comes in to witness this, and the Soul Orb that is apparently Laura Palmer goes up through some golden otherworldly machinery (the sole source of color, outside her Golden Soul Orb, in this place) until it is spat out into orbit around earth, slowly drifting down to the planet below, presumably to be born at some point in the 70s.

- Meanwhile, in the 1956, two teenagers are having a nighttime stroll through a desert town. Meanwhile to that, an old couple are accosted by otherworldly "Woodsmen" whose voices are deeply distorted and not entirely human. They, like anyone in their right mind, drive off before poo poo completely hits the fan for them. The Woodsmen continue about their business, with the one who directly spoke with the couple finding his way to a radio station, KPJK (I think that was their call sign?)

- Meanwhile an egg rests in the desert sands. It hatches, a grotesquerie that resembles some sort of insect with the beak of a hummingbird, the rear end-end and legs of a frog and vaguely human hands for the feet of those legs emerges and crawls out through the desert. We follow this one as the Woodsman from earlier speaks a dark incantation that puts the town to sleep, including the woman from before. The grotesque thing from the egg flies up into her window, crawls in, then beckons her to open her mouth before climbing in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jerusalem posted:

This is the greatest television show I have ever seen :stare:

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go be too terrified to ever sleep again......
Make sure to tape your mouth shut so no frogroaches crawl in! :haw:

Lanz
May 30, 2013

wait a second

Look at the arms.

They look... backwards. Thumbs are down, but palms face out in the direction the entity is facing

maybe it's a stretch but, uh... to quote Laura from Cooper's dream: "Sometimes my arms bend back"?

EDIT: No, wonldn't be backwards in that case? It's like the arms are swapped left for right?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

How do you see a bunch of explanation for how the Lodges work, which people have been waiting for for 25 years now and were completely wrong about because it's different than everyone thought, and say "he just shoved it in to pad out an episode"? :psyduck:
how are you reading this into a bunch of shots without context or dialogue?

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean besides it seems to be about the creation of the lodges and maybe why the FBI are so interested in these type of cases and what blue rose is and blue cases are?
You just said the same thing basically. So help me out here, how does this depict the creation of a lodge? I want both of your takes on this, whatever it is.

You are like the most miserable person to have a conversation with about anything!! I remember you used to have brief moments of lucidity between the violent unending spam you used to produce in GBS so somewhere in that brain of yours is the ability to be a cool guy to talk to so please help me out here. I know you like twin peaks and Sorry for being rude at you but buddy come on. I've thoroughly enjoyed this show until now and this crap episode was Obtuse as gently caress even by lynch standards. Please help me out buddy. Maybe join the other guys here and help me connect some dots to this weird dream-like footage with next to no connection to anything that's happened so far. Maybe you can make the exact same claim and help me. You can call me a pleb while you do it just make this masturbatory nonsense make sense for me, because to me it's almost an homage to the Toonami-era animes of days past where the people maknig the show would depict goku summoning the energy for a spirit bomb by grunting and groaning and hoding his hands over his head for several weeks worth of episodes.

and all of you stop pretending this poo poo is obvious because it isn't. It's abstract artsy fartsy poo poo that's begging you to read into it whatever you want and nothing that's aired for the entirety of season 3 has given any credence to these suggestions that I can tell.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 26, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

basic hitler posted:

In 1945, a nuclear bomb test (the culmination of human evil) either summons or creates spirits of the black lodge, as seen spewing out of the mouth of the demonic "mother" creature in the form of smoky goo eggs (this creature seems to be the one that was pursuing Coop in an earlier episode, and emerged from the glass box in New York to eat some Sexy Twentysomethings). The sooty hobos also seem to be brought into being at this time, as minions of the lodge (perhaps they were squatting in the fake town constructed for the bomb test).

In another realm (apparently the white lodge), the giant receives an alarm about the situation, and goes to his theatre to investigate. Seeing the face of Bob within a dark orb that was spewed by the mother, the giant responds by amassing positive energy from within himself, from which emerges the soul that will become Laura Palmer. Laura's soul is sent to Earth. It is unclear what that soul gets up to in the twenty-some year span of time before Laura is actually born, but Laura's intended role as a counterpart to Bob explains why Bob was so fixated on claiming her before her untimely death.

Years later, one of the evil eggs hatches into a frogroach, and with the help of the sooty woodsman lulling the town to sleep with a poem, it crawls into a sleeping girl's mouth. This is probably bad news.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

You are like the most miserable person to have a conversation with about anything!! I remember you used to have brief moments of lucidity between the violent unending spam you used to produce in GBS so somewhere in that brain of yours is the ability to be a cool guy to talk to so please help me out here.

:catstare: i don't even post in gbs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

basic hitler posted:

how are you reading this into a bunch of shots without context or dialogue?
You realize you can tell a lot from just visuals, right? I mean obviously you don't.

And there's a ton of context. It's called the entire rest of the series and Fire Walk With Me.

lol, just stop watching dude. It's obvious you aren't into the story the show is telling.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

In 1945, a nuclear bomb test (the culmination of human evil) either summons or creates spirits of the black lodge, as seen spewing out of the mouth of the demonic "mother" creature in the form of smoky goo eggs (this creature seems to be the one that was pursuing Coop in an earlier episode, and emerged from the glass box in New York to eat some Sexy Twentysomethings). The sooty hobos also seem to be brought into being at this time, as minions of the lodge (perhaps they were squatting in the fake town constructed for the bomb test).

In another realm (apparently the white lodge), the giant receives an alarm about the situation, and goes to his theatre to investigate. Seeing the face of Bob within a dark orb that was spewed by the mother, the giant responds by amassing positive energy from within himself, from which emerges the soul that will become Laura Palmer. Laura's soul is sent to Earth. It is unclear what that soul gets up to in the twenty-some year span of time before Laura is actually born, but Laura's intended role as a counterpart to Bob explains why Bob was so fixated on claiming her before her untimely death.

Years later, one of the evil eggs hatches into a frogroach, and with the help of the sooty woodsman lulling the town to sleep with a poem, it crawls into a sleeping girl's mouth. This is probably bad news.

thank you, this helps a bit. thank god.

Baloogan posted:

:catstare: i don't even post in gbs

not anymore maybe but pre-cspam you were a prolific shitposter. if you can't rememeber, that would make sense but i bet a lot of people ni that forum would remember you for it. Nevermind about you though someone actually posted something helpful

You realize you can tell a lot from just visuals, right? I mean obviously you don't.

And there's a ton of context. It's called the entire rest of the series and Fire Walk With Me.

lol, just stop watching dude. It's obvious you aren't into the story the show is telling.

Actually I enjoy it quite a bit, but this episode was loving nothing like anything in the show or fire walk with me. sorry I'm not ~*on your level*~ or w/e :shepface:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Basically,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JplmZGzweVc

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

not anymore maybe but pre-cspam you were a prolific shitposter. if you can't rememeber, that would make sense but i bet a lot of people ni that forum would remember you for it. Nevermind about you though someone actually posted something helpful

BOBoogan

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm still a little confused by it myself (A lot of my impressions while watching were pretty close to what Lanz posted so I think I'm on the right track at least) but I'm not sure how this episode was not like anything else in the show to you basic hitler. Like, in your opinion, what was so fundamentally different about the presentation of the Black Lodge sequences in the first few episodes of this season? Or at the end of season 2?

It seems similarly abstract to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Well that was both excellent and unsettling.