Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

necrotic posted:

Oh, they load themselves?! I thought you had to have something else feeding them, or manually refuel over time. That makes them way more useful than I thought (at least for boilers).

If you suffer prolonged coal shortages then they may eventually run out of power and have no way of fuelling themselves, even when the coal supply returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Evil Thing posted:

If you suffer prolonged coal shortages then they may eventually run out of power and have no way of fuelling themselves, even when the coal supply returns.

Burner inserters don't have any idle power consumption, so they won't run out of power no matter how long the belt is empty.

What can happen though is if you have multiple inserters picking up off the same tile, both inserters will move to grab the same item, and the one that "loses" will still burn fuel. So if fuel is scarce enough, you could end up with a burner inserter running out of fuel that way.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Jabor posted:

Burner inserters don't have any idle power consumption, so they won't run out of power no matter how long the belt is empty.

What can happen though is if you have multiple inserters picking up off the same tile, both inserters will move to grab the same item, and the one that "loses" will still burn fuel. So if fuel is scarce enough, you could end up with a burner inserter running out of fuel that way.

This also happens if you're using red belts or faster. If the belt isn't saturated, the burner inserter moves so slow that it can't grab the item before it moves off the belt, wasting power.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

The Evil Thing posted:

Yeah, I might start going with a small dedicated power plant for coal miners to help that. Obvious it can still fail in the same manner, but prioritizing fuel to that plant would help a lot.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
All of that is too much work. Unless it's fun for you to set up, in which case obviously go for it!

I personally just leave my initial 6-8 coal powered drills alone and use their 50 stored coal as an emergency supply to jump-start as needed. A chest and fast inserter to pick up coal into a chest for emergency use would work just as well. As long as there's some sort of backup coal supply, it doesn't have to be automated or separate unless you want it to be.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Doesn't seem like it would be too much work, really. It wouldn't need to be a big plant. The priority balancer might be overkill but I haven't had a reason to play around with them yet.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I don't understand logistics. How do I get the flying logistic robots to bring me stuff? I already got logistic slots in my inventory, but I don't understand the interface. What's up with the slider below the slots?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Click on a logistic slot and select which item you want. The slider is how much of the specific item you want to have in your inventory. If the amount in your inventory is less than the amount you want, a bot will bring more to you. If you have more then it won't.

e: Assuming that you are in range of the logistics bots, and the logistics networks have the desired item available in them. Bots won't grab stuff off of belts or anything like that, they only move things to and from the logistic network chests.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone have a decent flowchart or tutorial for Bobs/Angels? It's pissing me the gently caress off that critical required tech/materials are buried several tiers down without any indication of where (or in some cases, WHAT) they are.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

GenericOverusedName posted:

Click on a logistic slot and select which item you want. The slider is how much of the specific item you want to have in your inventory. If the amount in your inventory is less than the amount you want, a bot will bring more to you. If you have more then it won't.

e: Assuming that you are in range of the logistics bots, and the logistics networks have the desired item available in them. Bots won't grab stuff off of belts or anything like that, they only move things to and from the logistic network chests.

Actually got it working now, but for some reason you can't request something you already have in your inventory! I had some stacks of copper and requested copper, nothing happened. Dropped off the copper and suddenly the bot started working.

Also did they nerf the logistics system in recent versions? Watching a Let's Play and this dude is talking about building up a logistics system while he's barely on blue science level tech, but in the latest version you need to have five different science packs to get requester chests, which I assume is basically required to have a useful logistics system.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How many full belts of iron plates can one belt of iron ore produce? Is it just 1:1? I hear about mega factories with a dozen belts of iron plates and I'm wondering if that means you've got trains coming in with 12 cars of iron ore at a time or what.

Loren1350 posted:

Here are my lovely pics from the party.

http://imgur.com/a/BGNU3

Cool, but needs more assemblers.

ymgve posted:

I don't understand logistics. How do I get the flying logistic robots to bring me stuff? I already got logistic slots in my inventory, but I don't understand the interface. What's up with the slider below the slots?

1) You need to be in range of a roboport (the orange square)
2) The roboport needs to be powered and have at least one logistic robot in it
3) You need a passive provider chest that holds whatever you are asking for (if you want robots to bring you red belts, you need a passive provider chest with red belts in it for them to get the belts out of)
3b) the chest needs to be in range of a roboport (the orange square)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ymgve posted:

Also did they nerf the logistics system in recent versions? Watching a Let's Play and this dude is talking about building up a logistics system while he's barely on blue science level tech, but in the latest version you need to have five different science packs to get requester chests, which I assume is basically required to have a useful logistics system.

the guy in your let's play is probably playing 0.14

in 0.15 they revamped science and increased it from four packs (red, green, blue, and purple (from killing biters)) to seven (red, green, military gray, blue, purple (no longer made from alien artifacts,) yellow, and white (space science))

so logistics bots are quite a bit more difficult to acquire now

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is it worth trying to set stuff up to use solid fuel, or should I stick with coal and rather focus on converting everything to petroleum gas?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ymgve posted:

Actually got it working now, but for some reason you can't request something you already have in your inventory! I had some stacks of copper and requested copper, nothing happened. Dropped off the copper and suddenly the bot started working.

When you request 100 copper, you aren't asking the robots to bring you 100 copper; you're asking them to bring you copper until you have at least 100. So if you have 120 copper in your inventory already and drop/spend 50 units, robots will bring you 30 copper.

And yes, they doubled the number of science pack flavors in the newest version.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
As I said in the previous post, the slider in the personal logistics area is for saying how many of the item you want to have in your inventory. If you set it to 100 and you already have 100 or more widgets in your inventory, the bots won't bring you any widgets. If you go below 100, then they will bring you enough widgets to bring you back to 100.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

ymgve posted:

Is it worth trying to set stuff up to use solid fuel, or should I stick with coal and rather focus on converting everything to petroleum gas?

I think a good idea to do so eventually, at least for your trains, tanks, and cars. It gives a 120% boost in acceleration speed for vehicles (wood and coal give 100% and rocket fuel gives 180%), which helps boost your railway throughput. The amount of chemical plants and oil needed to keep your trains fueled is also relatively small (if you make the fuel from light oil). You'll also need to make a bunch of solid fuel for rocket fuel eventually anyway, so sending some to your trains is just a matter of slapping down some logistics chests.

I wouldn't bother for furnaces or boilers though, I just shove coal into it until I can switch to electric furnaces and solar or nuclear power.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ymgve posted:

You need it eventually for rocket fuel. I always circuit it to make solid fuel out of light if there's a surplus of petroleum.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
So I mentioned it earlier, but this modded game with all of bobs/angels/aai/logistic trains is turning out fantastic as long as I can figure out how to keep my UPS high. I think I need to start UG belting everything soonish.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
There's really no way to move lots of different items between one train straight to another in vanilla, is there? I don't want to connect my two train loops but I'm trying to go train as much as I can this map so I'd rather not use a bunch of logi bots. Right now I have several stops in a row each with filter inserters for a single item, but it's a bit unwieldy. Can anyone suggest a different (no bots) way of doing this or should I just leave it be? The train on the left is double engines that just goes back and forth to follow me when I'm building stuff, the right side refills it with various single loco/wagon trains going in a loop around their own bit of the base.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Why can't you connect the two rail systems?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I'm on mobile, so I apologize for the formatting of this post:

If you place the rails diagonally you can transfer directly from cargo wagon to cargo wagon. Only the train stop has to be on a straight piece of track.

http://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/6jh17a/tip_you_can_use_vehicles_for_near_direct_train_to/djeakqj

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just a heads up, if you set frequency to very low in the new RSO, be prepared to drive for a very long time before you find your next iron/copper deposit. :v:

I was afraid that this rail world start would put the deposits too close so it wouldn't have felt worthwhile to train them, but those fears were definitely unfounded.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
What does RSO stand for?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Resource Spawner Overhaul. It's a mod which alters how coal, iron, copper etc is generated on maps. Most people consider it superior to the built-in map generator.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So pretty much everyone knows about the typical 3:2 wire:circuit build, but I just realized today something else has a 3:2 ratio.

If you can't tell, that's an assembler 1 making circuits and an assembler 2 making wire. This isn't a build you'd use once you're at red belt / early module level but it saves a lot of resources early on for bootstrap builds. Also that green science build will feed 6 assemblers as long as there's a bit more than a full lane of iron plate coming in (side-loading the belt gives a bit extra compression).

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Collateral Damage posted:

Resource Spawner Overhaul. It's a mod which alters how coal, iron, copper etc is generated on maps. Most people consider it superior to the built-in map generator.

I consider it to be superior because it guarantees a deposit of everything in your initial starting zone. It's especially great with bob's mods since you will have 1 deposit of every early/mid game ore within your initial map scan.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Also good for Angels.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BlueOccamy posted:

There's really no way to move lots of different items between one train straight to another in vanilla, is there? I don't want to connect my two train loops but I'm trying to go train as much as I can this map so I'd rather not use a bunch of logi bots. Right now I have several stops in a row each with filter inserters for a single item, but it's a bit unwieldy. Can anyone suggest a different (no bots) way of doing this or should I just leave it be? The train on the left is double engines that just goes back and forth to follow me when I'm building stuff, the right side refills it with various single loco/wagon trains going in a loop around their own bit of the base.

There's no advantage to splitting off into a second train network. If you do want to transfer stuff, it's still a good idea to not transfer from train to train directly, since if you do you have one train or the other train tied up waiting for their partner to show up so that the transfer to begin. A depot like the one you have works well for that since your trains don't have to arrive at the same time to fill or be filled.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
I finally did it.

I got my There is No Spoon (and incidentally, no time for chitchat, which I never did end up closing on).

Total Run time, 7:30. I was playing until 5:30 AM, just because I couldn't let go, but it was so worth it.

Some major observations:

- While I still prefer a bus based configuration for factories, I had to build a point source procurement for iron/copper to feed many of the science centers. The logistics of trying to set up a bus architecture took too long in some of my failed runs. This because critically useful once science was done, so I could redirect the science and interim materials into Low Density materials and Guidance electronics
- Production modules. Level 1 modules are cheap, and reduce your overall cost by nearly 10%. Additionally, having a dedicated line chunking out prod1 means I could repurpose some to make speed1 modules for rocket parts later
- Buffering. Making sure that nothing is idle gave me a ton of flexibility to grab green and red circuits when I needed surge support. This allowed me to overproduce, and save time later when I desperately needed 1500 blue circuits for yellow science. but also...
- Limiting. I don't need a whole chest full of steel furnaces. Realizing that I could constrain some of my buffers was key to not wasting valuable resources.
- Map selection. I probably chunked through 30 or 40 maps until I could get one which gave me a wide enough space, with large deposits of ore scattered around to support satellite mining facilites.
- Biter base richness none. Was it a little cheaty? Yup. But not having to deal with a defense architecture was pretty clutch. I never shot a single bullet.
- Pre-buffer solid fuel using light/heavy. Rocket fuel is crazy expensive for fuel later, and I don't know that I could have produced enough to make all the fuel I needed with the time I had left. I had 5 refineries turning light into fuel from the second hour on, and being able to gobble all that up in the final push kept my on schedule.
- 4x Prod 3 in the silo. While I was finishing up rocket science, getting 4 prod 3 chips definitely helped with my resources while building the rocket. Total efficiency boost of 40% means I only had to spend 60% of the cost/time to build the final rocket.
- Science farm. I had 40 labs driven by inserters at 8 entry points, which allowed me to get some key research done in minutes, versus tens of minutes.

I watched a couple speed runs which gave me some great insight into how to get your science bootstrapped quickly. In the end, the factory was spaghetti, but was running at full speed all the time, which meant I wasn't losing valuable time waiting for the bus to fill up. And getting some pretty efficient layouts for mining/smelting/production also helped make sure I was constantly getting just in time resources.

Now to go hang out goon island, and get the classic experience.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

That mention of buffering...has anyone here tried setting up automatic overflow storage with a hysteresis-configured switch? (hysteresis = will turn on at one level and turn off at a different level to prevent constant switching back and forth).

I assume this would be via splitters, with wires reading the main belt and controlling the overflow belt such that it will not begin splitting until the belt is detected to be backed up. Overflow belt leads to chest, and then another section of belt starts on another side of the chest and merges with the main belt down the line. Could be throttled by making the belt->chest done with fast inserters and the chest->belt use stack inserters. Not quite sure how to do the hysteresis but I know people have made hysteric(?) systems before.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 26, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

rockopete posted:

That mention of buffering...has anyone here tried setting up automatic overflow storage with a hysteresis-configured switch? (hysteresis = will turn on at one level and turn off at a different level to prevent constant switching back and forth).

I assume this would be via splitters, with wires reading the main belt and controlling the overflow belt such that it will not begin splitting until the belt is detected to be backed up. Not quite sure how to do the hysteresis but I know people have made hysteric(?) systems before.

Ch I B
I B
S BBBB BBB S
BBBBBBBBBBBB S BBBBBBBBB S BBBBBBBBBBBBBB

B = belt
S = splitter
I = inserter
Ch = chest

nothing that complicated, but i have definitely set up belts and inserters to siphon off of a backed up belt

what you do is pick a section of the belt that's behind all of the things that have priority, then read that belt

then on the siphoning inserter or belt, link it to the read belt and set it to enable/disable when the item count is > 2 (one side of the belt) or the item count is > 5 (full belt)

those settings represent a belt that's saturated

this works great for stuff like filling a chest with extra bullets or turrets or miners (from science pack materials) or for diverting surplus raw resources to some other end

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

rockopete posted:

I assume this would be via splitters, with wires reading the main belt and controlling the overflow belt such that it will not begin splitting until the belt is detected to be backed up. Overflow belt leads to chest, and then another section of belt starts on another side of the chest and merges with the main belt down the line. Could be throttled by making the belt->chest done with fast inserters and the chest->belt use stack inserters. Not quite sure how to do the hysteresis but I know people have made hysteric(?) systems before.
Even without hysteresis I've done very simple frequency based control, ie read a belt at the throat of a science branch, compare to the fraction it should be, and shutdown belts on player supply branches if it's below that fraction*6. Can help concentrate production in science areas while you work out better supply.

The sky is the limit with belt switching , you can turn any simple key process indicator into a belt (and power if you're a try hard) switch with huge ease of use implications.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

circuits are cool + good

i started using that crazy item loader circuit where you sum all the items in the chest, divide it by -1 * the number of chests, then output that to each loading inserter and have it only turn on if the number of items in the loader's chest is less than the average

i also made an awesome circuit that counts how many items are in a belt loop, and if there's more than a threshold amount, an inserter starts siphoning items off

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

rockopete posted:

Here's a blueprint for a circuit version:

quote:

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

Red-wire your input signal to the pole, then set the constant combinators to your threshold values (currently set to coal). The bottom row decider will generate the output signal (currently train station = 1) and put it on the pole via green wire (which also toggles the lamp).

Edit: one problem with this blueprint is that it doesn't react well to brownouts - it can start oscillating wildly after a power loss. If that is a problem, you can add a single solar panel and accumulator and just keep it off the main grid.

fezball fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 27, 2017

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i won for the first time and also got my no hands achievement :)

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Just started playing this. I am finally managing to create horrid abominations of industry that also do not clog horribly, only a little.

Anyone got a good circuits tutorial or is it just better to plop into a sandbox and figure it out eventually?

Also, should I mod the game or wait until I get bored of the base mechanics?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Jeesis posted:

Just started playing this. I am finally managing to create horrid abominations of industry that also do not clog horribly, only a little.

Anyone got a good circuits tutorial or is it just better to plop into a sandbox and figure it out eventually?

Also, should I mod the game or wait until I get bored of the base mechanics?

It's best to just do it live. Your first factories are always going to be a mess. It's okay -- you can just pull everything up and rebuild it. There's no penalty for doing so.

I like Resource Spawner Overhaul and RSO radar for mods. These mods change the spawning of resources so you get a decent chunk at your initial base, then new patches spawn far away, and get richer the further from your base they are. It encourages trains. The radar mod just quadruples radar range and energy cost, which goes well with the former.

As far as green circuits go, three copper wire assemblers to two green circuit assemblers is the proper ratio.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Jeesis posted:

Start by calculating the amount of wire you need per second to feed the number of circuit factories you want to build, then how many wire factories you need to produce that amount.
Example:
24 circuit factories * 3 wire / 0.5 seconds = 144 wire / second
144 wire / (2 wire / 0.5 seconds) = 36 wire factories

Next, reduce the ratio of total wire factories to total circuit factories to the smallest terms
Example:
36 wire : 24 circuit -> 3 wire : 2 circuit

Now, design a small factory cell which has 3 wire and 2 circuit factories which takes copper and iron from input belts and outputs circuits to it's own belt, then copy/paste this design n times until you meet your production target. Connect the input and output belts and watch your creation spin up.

Calculating ratios is useful for recipes where some of the inputs are not supplied by the bus, but usually the solution is simply more, and faster.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
And similarly, when you are planning a larger factory for science packs and are trying to calculate the number of assemblers needed for everything, simply build as many as the number of seconds it takes to build the item, multiplied by the number of items you need, so the production works out to 1/sec. That works for all the sub-materials because science pack assemblers always want a single item each so if you build enough of those sub materials them to output 1/sec, that will correctly feed your 1/sec assemblers.

1/sec is a fairly large amount if you're just going through the game. Feel free to divide everything by two and get away with half that. Also, the military, high-tech and production packs output 2 packs per build so you only need half as many assemblers for those.

It's an easy way of doing it, and no math required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

That actually works out to 0.75/sec (blue assemblers) or 1.25/sec (yellow assemblers). But the ratios will still be correct and balanced.