Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I was reading one of the dis board threads about the owner of its sister travel agency and how he's a smug millionaire, which lead to a shitposting match about how he started a travel agency and deserves the cash. I starred wondering why Disney hasn't capitalized on the travel agent market. I don't understand why people use them since I'm a super sperg planner, but I'm surprised that Disney is paying commissions out for other people to sell their product. If people need some handholding and planning, then offer it as an option when calling up to book. You'd think that getting some of the pro tier guest relations people to help people set up trips would give a great and user experience while providing lots of opportunities to upsell. I'm sure there's a reason for middlemen to exist, but I bet Disney owned agencies would bring back a nice bit of revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's what we are just we're rated based on things like call length etc. most every general call comes to us so we can try to Upsell. MDX not working? You'll likely come to us. Problem is, we have such stingy ratings that we can't really plan something and when someon e is like "can I get help with fastpass selections" the answer is no but I'll pass you off to IHD who probably can't talk to you either or bye bye bonus comission check. The worst call we get is "what are the prices" or "I want to eat but I don't know where". Just a total waste of our time. Which sucks because those should be the guests you want to help but alas.

We can get travel agency cards if we want and honestly if/when I leave this job I might try doing something similar to braks since I know all this stuff and I could probably get Disney certified easily (although oddly I guess I'm not right now?)

People still assume going directly through Disney is more than going through a travel agent so that's why they still do it, hence why a lot of stuff we get is one day tickets because they don't want to deal with a travel agent.

Maybe in a year or so I'll write up what it's like here, I just don't know how badly they watch SomethingAwful like they do reddit etc. they actually told us a story about a CM who worked at Epcot in Canada and one time a guest was googling Canada Epcot dresses and found a picture of the CM in costume, but when they clicked it it brought them to her fetlife profile full of hardcore stuff sooooooooo lol.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

People still use travel agents aka me because Disney planning is intimidating as gently caress to people. When you're bombarded with information and all you want to do is take your kids to a theme park, you call in the pros to help you sort it out. No one wants to pay all that money and do it wrong.

I have a friend who paid me $100 just to sell her tickets (which I get commission on) and make 3 or 4 dining reservations for her because she literally could NOT make a decision on her own. That's what I'm here for.

In my opinion, Disney isn't doing that much to make my job easier. I feel like they tolerate us, and sometimes they throw us a bone and help us out, but we're not their priority.

For what it's worth, there is no real Disney certification. They have online training via video modules that you have to complete but if you're any kind of a Disney fan, it's really nothing you didn't already know. My value comes in being a Disney superfan and going to Disney several times a year. It's all about personal experience, really. I only get paid if I sell trips and then the client goes on the trip. I don't charge additional fees. People book with me because I know my poo poo.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 23, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel really bad now for what you must've gone through last year to get me free dining now that I can see from the inside what kind of cluster it is.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Well yeah, I'm saying set up a new department that specializes in basically being Disney branded travel agents. A more white glove service. Agents exist because they do more than just sell product - they give advice and help make the plans. So why doesn't Disney get a slice of that pie and have a team that focuses on that high touch interaction, which is why a plaid wearing guest relations pro is great for the job. Disney just doesn't strike me as the company that leaves money on the table, which is exactly what they're doing. Can they just not compete or is there a reason they may not want to, I wonder...

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It's probably a mixture of not wanting to disrupt the many 3rd party travel agencies sour there that are constantly feeding them guests and preferring to invest in improving parks vs filling them, since filling them hasn't been an issue. Aside from this past year, there's been a rather consistent growth in attendance.

And if other travel agents are anything like my wife, she gets a lot of repeat clients. It would be tough to steal away from the 3rd party travel agents.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

They do have concierge planning agents for Club Level guests. You can send them a list of all your dining preferences ahead of time and they'll set them up for you. They offered to do that for me before when I stayed Club Level at Poly. They basically have the same access to dining that I do so it's not like it's special or anything but people don't know that.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I feel really bad now for what you must've gone through last year to get me free dining now that I can see from the inside what kind of cluster it is.

That's my job.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Braksgirl posted:

They do have concierge planning agents for Club Level guests. You can send them a list of all your dining preferences ahead of time and they'll set them up for you. They offered to do that for me before when I stayed Club Level at Poly. They basically have the same access to dining that I do so it's not like it's special or anything but people don't know that.
Our concierge at the Boardwalk Inn hinted that he could get us into almost anything, just maybe not at the exact hour we wanted.

We'd booked all of our meals in advance anyway, so we never got to test his magical reservation powers.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

It's probably a mixture of not wanting to disrupt the many 3rd party travel agencies sour there that are constantly feeding them guests and preferring to invest in improving parks vs filling them, since filling them hasn't been an issue. Aside from this past year, there's been a rather consistent growth in attendance.

And if other travel agents are anything like my wife, she gets a lot of repeat clients. It would be tough to steal away from the 3rd party travel agents.

If they were serious about stealing that business it would be very easy for them. One strategy would be to offer discounts for using the official service for the first couple of years to get people hooked then backing the discounts out once they get enough clientele.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
EPCOT overhaul rumors are swirling. Lots of exciting things including new countries in World Showcase and Illuminations' successor.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

All those Epcot rumors are exciting as hell. Only thing I ask for is please don't take away my Future World theme. That's how I know I'm in Epcot. :(

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

MK is magical but Epcot is the best park, hands down.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where you guys seeing tumors

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Probably talking about this http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/06/d23-expo-2017-rumors-brave-new-epcot-way-disney-character-5-year-expansion-plan/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ratatouille ride seems to be getting steam and some permits where filed for that plot of land near France hmmm

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Give me a ratatouille ride that's basically just the be our guest part from philharmagic.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

It's not a

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Give me a ratatouille ride that's basically just the be our guest part from philharmagic.

This is my favorite part of one of my favorite rides at wdw.

Is anyone else really afraid that new Disney will take over the park? Classics like lion king, Aladdin, little mermaid, etc. slowly replaced with tangled, Moana, and other new IP. I'm not on the side of "never change the parks!" but I do worry that the things that adults identify with will be swapped out for modern properties to appeal to younger audiences.

I get that that's something that has to happen, but do you guys worry that you'll have less of a connection with the parks if all the things we recognize slowly disappear? Do kids know who Simba and Ariel are without their parents telling them? Do adults without kids associate as strongly with modern Disney films as we do with the films we grew up with?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Unable to find any May the 4th 2017 pins leftover at DHS :(

eBay here I come

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Is anyone else really afraid that new Disney will take over the park? Classics like lion king, Aladdin, little mermaid, etc. slowly replaced with tangled, Moana, and other new IP. I'm not on the side of "never change the parks!" but I do worry that the things that adults identify with will be swapped out for modern properties to appeal to younger audiences.

I get that that's something that has to happen, but do you guys worry that you'll have less of a connection with the parks if all the things we recognize slowly disappear? Do kids know who Simba and Ariel are without their parents telling them? Do adults without kids associate as strongly with modern Disney films as we do with the films we grew up with?

Just got back from Disneyworld with 2 year old nephew and 6 year old niece who both easily identified Simba and Ariel. My parents who took me to Magic Kingdom back in 1974 easily recognized the Tangled section and thought it was cool.

I think Disney has done a good job of combining the new with the old.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Richard M Nixon posted:

This is my favorite part of one of my favorite rides at wdw.

The old properties are still incredibly popular and to my knowledge their merchandise has been a consistent seller.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Oh man.

things
are
happening

Im afraid to tell my friends and family yet cause there are life implications and im worried that saying it out loud will make it not be true

but omg

I have an interview with the Orlando Magic

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I bought a Lion King Magic Band which just came out that is 90s as gently caress, and as a 90s baby I had to have it. Weirdly enough it still applied my AP discount even though I currently don't have an AP.
https://www.disneystore.com/graphic-magicband-magicband-simba-magicband-2-the-lion-king/mp/1431621/1029720/

Also, two more YesterEars shirts on sale now: Typhoon Lagoon and....Sci Fi Dine In?
https://www.disneystore.com/yesterears-limited-release-tees/mn/1029801/

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Ha, remember that not too recently, "classics" like Snow white, Toad, etc. have been replaced by "new IP" like Lion King, Mermaid, etc. The park is constantly evolving. In 15 years, people will bemoan the removal of all the classic Toy Story, Frozen and Tangled stuff.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Richard M Nixon posted:

Well yeah, I'm saying set up a new department that specializes in basically being Disney branded travel agents. A more white glove service. Agents exist because they do more than just sell product - they give advice and help make the plans. So why doesn't Disney get a slice of that pie and have a team that focuses on that high touch interaction, which is why a plaid wearing guest relations pro is great for the job. Disney just doesn't strike me as the company that leaves money on the table, which is exactly what they're doing. Can they just not compete or is there a reason they may not want to, I wonder...

That department is called Disney Special Services and it was spun off from the VIP tour department earlier this year.

At least, that's how I understand the idea behind them is. I haven't seen how it works out in practice.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lincoln posted:

Ha, remember that not too recently, "classics" like Snow white, Toad, etc. have been replaced by "new IP" like Lion King, Mermaid, etc. The park is constantly evolving. In 15 years, people will bemoan the removal of all the classic Toy Story, Frozen and Tangled stuff.

Realistically we should just be happy that the company is willing to wait until there's a certain level of actual excitement before they bring things into the park. We never got areas or attractions for Black Cauldron, Home on the Range, or Chicken Little, thank god.

The only thing I can really think of in that vein is the weirdly long Pocahontas segment in the HS Fantasmic

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Boxman posted:

Realistically we should just be happy that the company is willing to wait until there's a certain level of actual excitement before they bring things into the park. We never got areas or attractions for Black Cauldron, Home on the Range, or Chicken Little, thank god.

The only thing I can really think of in that vein is the weirdly long Pocahontas segment in the HS Fantasmic

You mean like Avatar? :v:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Lifetime Gross (domestic):

Black Cauldron: $21,288,692
Home on the Range: $50,030,461
Chicken Little: $135,386,664

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

And yet while earning a lot of money, what is Avatar today? The story isn't compelling, nobody remembers characters or events. It was a visual feast that has not aged well. One time spectacles do not make good permanent attractions that will be around for decades.

Goon take: avatar is hot garbage.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
While movie Avatar was forgettable and more of a showcase of visuals, from what I've gathered about the parks, Pandora has no real reference to anything specific from the film and is more of a "look what we can derive from this world" feel.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I see Pandora as wayyyy less "This is Avatar land" and way more an amazing land that takes place on the same planet as the movie and shares a conservation message with the park.

(And just so happens to be constructed and operational for the upcoming four sequels)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Exactly. If the sequels somehow flopped they could easily convert it into any other fantasy-nature land and it would still be a fantastic area. It just works and they did a great job, the fact that it's based on Avatar is practically irrelevant.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
They seem to be showing Avatar on a constant loop on the resort tvs. I watched like the last 1.5 hours or so and .... it really works in conjunction with park.

I rode FoP before seeing it, and I was so excited to watch the part where Jake tames his banshee and what not. And all the night time stuff in the movie made me mad I wasn't able to get a FP for river journey (and my boyfriend objected to waiting in standby).

But then we went back to Pandora at night (after seeing the movie) and I was disappointed that the flora wasn't as extensive as in the movie. I wanted more glowing plants and animals. And Im sad there was so much artificial light. But I guess they have to keep the park well lit for the guests.

If they really do go through with many sequels, and the visuals of the movies become more well known, then the park will do gangbusters.

Part of why Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade work so well is that they are great places to just sit and be. I felt that way about Pandora at night.

They gotta make a version two of the shoulder banshees that interact with the environment at various spots... they could charge twice as much and still sell out.

Also omg the food at Satuli is amazing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think it may be for the better that Pandora has opened over a year before the next sequel is predicted. It gives it a long time to prove itself and stand alone without risking a potentially bad movie becoming an albatross around its neck.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
Well then, that's 20 minutes I don't have to budget while at MK

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it may be for the better that Pandora has opened over a year before the next sequel is predicted. It gives it a long time to prove itself and stand alone without risking a potentially bad movie becoming an albatross around its neck.

When the land was first announced it would have opened after the original release date for TWO sequels.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Trump's team wants to write the speech without Disney's input. Cthulhu have mercy on us all.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Zero One posted:

When the land was first announced it would have opened after the original release date for TWO sequels.

The patented James Cameron billion dollar movie machine doesn't just spit out works of art over night.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BlueBayou posted:

Also omg the food at Satuli is amazing.

I was underwhelmed when I went. I got the beef bowl and the beef was cold and dry. I covered it in the vinaigrette dressing from the side salad and it got better though. The rice was good though. My dad, who is congenitally afraid of all foods, ordered a cheeseburger bun off the kids menu. It came with house-made chips that were rock hard and covered in paprika, plus a delicious bowl of grapes.

Halfway through our meal some people sat down next to us who had no idea what their food was. They stopped a cleaning person who explained it was Na'vi food, American style! What's a Na'vi? Um, Avatar food. They burst out laughing at Avatar food and left. I can't say I blame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Haven't been to avatarland yet, but I'm afraid of Disney thinking/tourist being of afraid to try the strangely prepared food(I got a couple of family who refuse to try tapioca bubbles) and thus dumbing down the food, which I think they done in other parts of the parks(pure conjecture though). Ex regular ol burger just called a banshee birger. Though maybe the Cameron has a clause in the licence that they can't mess with his vision.