Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nah, automata is better easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Certainly got a better localization.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Automata would score higher on my scale if the environments werent so grey.

I mean sheesh look at the Bunker :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah I had a blast with P5 but Nier beat it out so far year to date

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
you know it's a really good year for games when Persona 5 comes out and is completely amazing and still manages to only be, like, in the top five of the year.

and we haven't even gotten Mario Odyssey yet

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

PC users: A modder has released a fix for the fullscreen-bug. Currently, when playing the game in fullscreen-mode, the game won't actually run at your monitor's native resolution. There's a more in-depth explanation here, but the TL;DR is that, due to a bug, the game will:
  • Render at the selected resolution (this is why screenshots come out looking fine)
  • Downscale that to the nearest supported resolution on your monitor that isn't in your monitor's native aspect ratio (you can see what I mean by looking in the Windows advanced display settings dialogue on a second monitor if you have one), and then
  • Your GPU or monitor upscales that again to the selected res.
To get the fix, download this file and extract its contents into your game's install directory: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/download/sk_gui/nier_fix.7z

When you boot up the game for the first time after this, there'll be some diagnostics text overlaid on top of it; hit CTRL + SHIFT + O to get rid of it and it'll stay gone even after you restart.

More details from the modder himself: Link

The github link doesn't work any more. Is there a new location?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Here you go.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Hello! I just beat the game today. There's two parts I'm still wondering about.

After you gently caress up machines in the shopping center, the round mask thingy runs away after 2B tries to destroy it. I'm assuming it's the same thingy as Emil's shop? What's the backstory to that? What happened?

Also I either missed the explanation or the Popola and Devola novel didn't specify how other models in different cities caused Project Gestalt to fail. Does it just leave it at that or is there further explanation as to how they caused it to fail?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's emil

For that story, see NIER

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Only one Devola/Popola pair was actively attempting to sabotage Project Gestalt. Once this became known, the other D/P models were looked down upon, exiled and generally scorned because of their association, even though they did nothing.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Sage Grimm posted:

Only one Devola/Popola pair was actively attempting to sabotage Project Gestalt. Once this became known, the other D/P models were looked down upon, exiled and generally scorned because of their association, even though they did nothing.

They weren't trying to sabotage it. The D/P of Nier 1 were working with the Shadowlord and manipulating Nier, but they failed to convince Grimoire Weiss to side with them in the end and so their plan backfired in the worst possible way.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Yeah The only one actually sabotaging the plan was the original Nier because he'd just stopped caring and went and pissed off replicant Nier which ended up causing the downfall or everything. D&P were desperately trying to salvage things afterwards but it just didn't work out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks. I was wondering why everything was so grainy and crappy, then I read the OP.

This may be spoilers / explained later, but when 9S was killed without black-box-recovery they restored him from a pre-mission backup (and 2B was restored with up-to-date memories thanks to wireless). When 11B was killed on the same mission and her black box was irrecoverable they just left her dead. Is there some reason why they sometimes restore/rebuild androids and sometimes they don't?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Keep playing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Nina posted:

Yeah The only one actually sabotaging the plan was the original Nier because he'd just stopped caring and went and pissed off replicant Nier which ended up causing the downfall or everything. D&P were desperately trying to salvage things afterwards but it just didn't work out.

I feel like this was Yoko Taro's way of spackling over a bad plot point from the first game. Devola and Popola ended up doing the exact opposite of what their goal was for no real reason (or so the game could have a gotcha plot twist) and now he's just decided they were actively trying to sabotage the plan because ??

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Momomo posted:

I feel like this was Yoko Taro's way of spackling over a bad plot point from the first game. Devola and Popola ended up doing the exact opposite of what their goal was for no real reason (or so the game could have a gotcha plot twist) and now he's just decided they were actively trying to sabotage the plan because ??

I never had an issue with that, their actions fit in with the theme of "sentience growing where it's not expected and mucking things up" the first and now second game carries. It happened with the Replicants, which pushed the Devola/Popola models into running overtime trying to salvage a dire situation their creators simply never expected to happen. Plenty of time for stimuli to bring about sentience, cause them to form emotional attachments to their village and drive them to make bad decisions around that conflict of interest.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm unsure of what they mean by going against their mission, then. The way I thought was that they explicitly told Nier he had to defeat Noir, complete with fake legend, even though that's in no way helping them. Then when he finally goes to attack the Shadowlord (great name by the eddy guys, totally makes him seem like the good guy) they stand against him, because they want Weiss to fuse with Noir, and call him a traitor. It just makes absolutely no sense when you try and map out their intentions, and feels like really muddled writing, so as a band aid they decided the two were somehow rebels.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I have no recollection of when it's stated they actively sabotaged anything. As far as I saw it just failing to fulfill their mission counts as going against their purpose in other androids' eyes

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Nina posted:

I have no recollection of when it's stated they actively sabotaged anything. As far as I saw it just failing to fulfill their mission counts as going against their purpose in other androids' eyes

I think that's what was also said in the novel after they open up the tower for 9S.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Alright, now that I know most of the things I wasn't sure about were all original Nier stuff, I have another question.

The humans have gone extinct. Who made the YoRHa project then? Who's receiving all the Level-SS classified info? At first I thought it was just the commander trying to give other androids a reason to fight for but then it turned out the commander was also a pawn. I *think* the Red Girls have something to do with it, what with the fact they have backdoors in the human server on the moon but I don't know.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's never explained in the games. You've got to watch a play for that. :v:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

rear end posted:

I think that's what was also said in the novel after they open up the tower for 9S.

That's never stated, no. All that it mentions is that "due to the actions of Popola and Devola models from another town" humanity went extinct. It never states intent, just that their actions hosed everything up. They didn't want that to happen, but it did, and they were in charge of the one thing keeping the project together.

I dunno where everyone's getting the idea that Nier's Popola and Devola tried to gently caress the whole thing over. It's always been pretty obvious, especially with the perspective of the novel in Automata, that they knew their duty and were trying to balance keeping the Replicants unaware of the whole thing while also kinda starting to get fond of them after so long. Like in Automata, there's only so much you can keep telling yourself "they're not really people" before you start to crack.

The intention in sending Replicant Nier after the Shadowlord was that the Shadowlord would wreck him, or that Weiss would remember who he was and guide Nier to his purpose, but both of those hosed up tremendously because Nier is stubborn and became way stronger than Popola and Devola expected, and the Shadowlord eventually said "screw this" and went to try and do it himself. Which also hosed up.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Sage Grimm posted:

That's never explained in the games. You've got to watch a play for that. :v:

A.. play? Care to explain, please?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

rear end posted:

During the Nier Automata concert there was a set of readings in between songs that gave info on a bunch of backstory stuff, including the creation of YoRHa. The voice actors for 2B and 9S and some of their friends did a reading of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF0y083mMHA

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

rear end posted:

It's not even a play. It's a concert radio play thing.

For the Nier Automata live music performances, Taro Yoko wrote up some short plays to be performed by the VAs, covering things like 9S and 2B's history, A2's actions between her debut play and the game proper, and the founding of YoRHa.

The US VAs recorded a version, so if you're curious... here you go.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

rear end posted:

Alright, now that I know most of the things I wasn't sure about were all original Nier stuff, I have another question.

The humans have gone extinct. Who made the YoRHa project then? Who's receiving all the Level-SS classified info? At first I thought it was just the commander trying to give other androids a reason to fight for but then it turned out the commander was also a pawn. I *think* the Red Girls have something to do with it, what with the fact they have backdoors in the human server on the moon but I don't know.

There's a lot behind why Project YoRHa came out the way it did, but to answer the root of your question; it was developed by the Androids leftover from Project Gestalt. They've been making decisions for "humanity" for thousands of years now.

There's the YoRHa stage play that is partly translated in the game that goes over some of this from A2's perspective, but the nitty gritty of it all comes from that Concert and Talk thing.

I don't believe that the Red Girls have much to do with the very origin of YoRHa but they certainly love the idea and were happy to see a back door was made just for them.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Honestly the red girls don't even seem to plan much. They just love taking every opportunity to mess with the androids

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any limitation on me spamming health potions during boss fights? It seems like only an attack that one-shots me could kill me.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any limitation on me spamming health potions during boss fights? It seems like only an attack that one-shots me could kill me.

Only your ability to avoid getting your rear end kicked while dealing with the quick-use menu and/or the number of healing items in your inventory.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Oneiros posted:

Only your ability to avoid getting your rear end kicked while dealing with the quick-use menu and/or the number of healing items in your inventory.

You can use Change View / Share / whatever it is on the keyboard to change weapons / pods / use items and it'll pause the game for you.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I just got this game on steam. It seems very good, I've just gotten to 'This Cannot Continue' and I am hooked.

How do I become good at fights?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Crasical posted:

I just got this game on steam. It seems very good, I've just gotten to 'This Cannot Continue' and I am hooked.

If you're playing on Normal or below:

1. Get and Equip some Offensive Heal and Deadly Heal chips.
2. Just start mashing buttons at random. Things will end up dead and killing enemies will heal any damage you take.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Crasical posted:

Your dodge is INSANELY invincible, and if you time it right you can toss enemies in the air with an attack after a perfect one. Also abuse pod programs and equip your heal chips.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So while I was looking for something else, I found my Xbox 360 and a copy of Nier. The Xbox still had my original save, from May 2010, with 2 hours and 7 minutes played.

I've not played a lot, but I've already had my first shock of recognition -- the library and Popola's office. I knew I'd seen it before, but...

Automata spoiled a lot of the plot points -- um, I think, that is -- but I'm still going to give it a go.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

atholbrose posted:

So while I was looking for something else, I found my Xbox 360 and a copy of Nier. The Xbox still had my original save, from May 2010, with 2 hours and 7 minutes played.

I've not played a lot, but I've already had my first shock of recognition -- the library and Popola's office. I knew I'd seen it before, but...

Automata spoiled a lot of the plot points -- um, I think, that is -- but I'm still going to give it a go.

Going from Automata to Nier is a "Ooooh so that's what it was" experience.
Going from Nier to Automata is like Yokotaro punching your gut over and over and over and

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I started playing this on normal, got through idk, 45 minutes of the tutorial? and died. Then I had to replay the whole tutorial, so I set it on easy, and now I'm honestly not sure if I'm playing a game or watching a movie. I'm reasonably sure I can move my character around, but I honestly don't know if anything else I do affects even which enemies she auto-attacks and kills.

It's... pretty weird. Are these games supposed to be stupid-hard and I just need to replay the tutorial a hundred times until I git gud? (I'm not gonna, I gave up after my tenth or so try on the first boss five minutes into Dark Souls 3; no insult to people who do but personally idgaf about gaming skillz.) Is easy-mode supposed to an active insult to the player, like it was in XCOM 2? Is the balance fine but the checkpointing just dumb as gently caress? I know I just started playing but I'm having an extremely hard time figuring out a) this game and b) if it is still technically a game on easy mode.

maybe i should just watch a LP?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You should just play on normal imo. The tutorial is the hardest part of the game because a lot of the mechanics haven't been introduced yet (and you can't save, which you now know). It's pretty brutal on the harder difficulties. All you can do in the tutorial is attack or counter, dodge, fire your pod's basic pea shooter and heal, but pretty much immediately after you gain access to chip slots and more pod abilities and so on.

edit: And, yes, easy mode is basically just 'button mash and the game plays itself' mode. Normal is the easiest 'real' difficulty setting.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Digital Osmosis posted:

Are these games supposed to be stupid-hard and I just need to replay the tutorial a hundred times until I git gud? (I'm not gonna, I gave up after my tenth or so try on the first boss five minutes into Dark Souls 3; no insult to people who do but personally idgaf about gaming skillz.) Is easy-mode supposed to an active insult to the player, like it was in XCOM 2? Is the balance fine but the checkpointing just dumb as gently caress? I know I just started playing but I'm having an extremely hard time figuring out a) this game and b) if it is still technically a game on easy mode.

You can switch the difficulty back to normal after getting out of the tutorial and being able to save, which you should do as easy mode is basically auto-play mode. Also there aren't any checkpoints, either save often or die and lose an hour or two of progress.

Even on normal the game is rather easy, it's just the early parts where you don't know what you're doing that are difficult, get some practice and upgrades then you'll be fine.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm button-mashing and I'm doing well on Normal. I think the secret is to make sure to mash the 'dodge' button as well as the attack button.
Don't worry about dodging specific attacks or which direction you're dodging in. Just press the button frequently.
(I rebound dodge to left-bumper, because that's easier for me to hit than right-trigger when my right hand is mashing X.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Play the tutorial on Easy. After the first checkpoint i'd suggest going to hard mode if you've played a character action game with a controller before. Even there this game is miles away from any dexterous and consistency demands any Souls (i think my first blind playthrough had a few dozen deaths as opposed to triple or quad digits in DS games), or other platinum games like Bayonetta throw at you, mostly due to its forgiving rpg aspects and dodge godmode. For my 80 hours Hard kept the combat from getting stale or instantly trivial (at least until hacking happened, but that its own thing) which seems to be a common complaint on normal.

Easy mode + auto chips is definitely the option for people who want to content tourist cruise through the game as smoothly as possible while watching fancy spectacle happen. But :lol: at the idea of having incredibly low frustration and learning thresholds and then feeling "insulted" when the game offers a difficulty that skips all that.