Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Johnny in The Room is the purest expression of Mary Sue I can think of.
Sorry I forgot to include professionally published, but you are absolutely correct. Several characters exist solely to praise him, he's great at everything, every obstacle is only created by people not trusting in Johnny being perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

IMO the real meaning of Mary Sue is a character who sweeps into an existing thing and steals the limelight completely and has the characters from the original milieu fawn over them, etc

Most uses of the phrase aren't really correct by that definition. But that's being like a hardliner about how it was used in fanfiction circles I guess it's changed (or devolved depending on your POV) since then, I mean I just used it like that above

it's thanks to maximus landis lord of idiots misuing the term in regards to rey that it spread around the net.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's thanks to maximus landis lord of idiots misuing the term in regards to rey that it spread around the net.

No it's been used all over the place to mean "any character competent in a way a fiction protagonist is, especially a woman" way before that

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

To me, the problem is pacing. In A New Hope, we see Luke block one drone shot with the Force, and then he does the one big shot at the end. He didn't start doing really cool poo poo on the regular until he trained with Yoda, in an entirely separate movie..

Same. The problem with Rey isn't that she's a Mary Sue (she's not), it's just that I think there's nothing compelling about her story. Is she gonna train with Luke and get better? Who gives a poo poo, she's already good enough to beat her darkside counterpart. Is she going to redeem Kylo Ren? I have enough trouble with Darth Vader's redemption, and Ren's body count is even higher already.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Is your namesake a Mary Sue? He's the super rad king of a dying race of magical noble warriors who are the last thing standing between the world and total devastation

Yes, but also it's a name that sounds cool so I stole it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes, and people are far more willing to level that complaint against a female character than a male, despite said female having very little to separate them from other idealised 'overly perfect' male protagonists. Which was my original point, I don't care for the term and even with these competent characters, sometimes that's not the point in a particular narrative.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Same. The problem with Rey isn't that she's a Mary Sue (she's not), it's just that I think there's nothing compelling about her story. Is she gonna train with Luke and get better? Who gives a poo poo, she's already good enough to beat her darkside counterpart. Is she going to redeem Kylo Ren? I have enough trouble with Darth Vader's redemption, and Ren's body count is even higher already.

I wish they really pushed the idea that Ren had his rear end kicked before that fight. Yeah, it's there but they left some reasonable doubt that let people get away with saying Rey's Superman now

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yes, but also it's a name that sounds cool so I stole it.

That's the origin story of my username too

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yes, and people are far more willing to level that complaint against a female character than a male, despite said female having very little to separate them from other idealised 'overly perfect' male protagonists. Which was my original point, I don't care for the term and even with these competent characters, sometimes that's not the point in a particular narrative.

Right. No one calls Tom Cruise's character in War of the Worlds a Mary Sue, despite being much closer to the model. In particular the scene where he's walking by a seasoned mechanic and instantly tells him what's wrong with the car. Or how he's the best boat loader, or how he's the one who notices the birds on the craft and tells the army guys to fire...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My character's name is Darkendo Void, he has a dark and troubled past on his way to surpassing WhaleBot to claim his rightful place as the True Pedant

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kylo ren was heavily injured before their fight and the movie points that out very obviously. he also just killed his dad. he also didn't want to kill her.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Maluco Marinero posted:

Real Mary Sues are bad characters. Boring & irritating, a black hole that taints the realization of other characters by forcing them to orbit. When a character is labeled a Mary Sue they're being called a bad character that hurts the story. I dont think there's any narrative that actually requires a mary sue to pull off....

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There are some but they're bad narratives that really shouldn't be told.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Lightning Lord posted:

IMO the real meaning of Mary Sue is a character who sweeps into an existing thing and steals the limelight completely and has the characters from the original milieu fawn over them, etc

You must be talking about the famous baby 'arry Potter

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dmitri-9 posted:

Except that he frequently makes mistakes, is aware that it's only a twist of fate and no merit of his own that made him the hero, and his friends and allies are frequently better than him at things? (This one is just a pet peeve of mine. I'm not even that much of a Harry Potter fan)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

Children's adventure stories are full of "self-insert" characters, after a fashion, in that they're meant to be easy for kids to identify with and project themselves into. "Regular everyday kids" who are simultaneously chosen and special combine relatability with material for an exciting adventure and also the kind of power fantasy that appeals to kids. Luke Skywalker arguably fits this category, though I don't know if it's a misunderstanding to call it a mary sue.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Tangential to Youtube Intellectuals- are there suggestions for geek culture personalities that are good and not problematic? I quite enjoy game/movie reviews, news, and commentary, but hate running into some toxic chucklefuck. Like, the 'Screw Attack' is as edgy a channel as I give a poo poo to listen to, and that's mostly because Death Battle is neat nerd fantasy fulfilment.

I follow Kotaku, The Know, LGR, Cinemassacre, and Channel Awesome. Pleaset don't tell me LGR, AVGN, and Guy With the Glasses are all Milkshake Ducks.

More on topic: Does anybody else find it cringeworthy the term 'Youtube Intellectual' evokes people like Sargon and not, I don't know... Vsauce? PBS Idea Channel/Spacetime/It's OK to be smart/etc.? Braincraft? Veritasium? Numberphile? Smarter Every Day? CGP Grey? Kurzgesagt? Any of the Green brothers channels? I get so much of my entertainment from Youtube these days, and these channels make me incredibly optimistic of Youtube's capacity for improving education. Only think keeping be believing 'Youtube is a net good for society' :v:

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 26, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JVNO posted:

Tangential to Youtube Intellectuals- are there suggestions for geek culture personalities that are good and not problematic? I quite enjoy game/movie reviews, news, and commentary, but hate running into some toxic chucklefuck. Like, the 'Screw Attack' is as edgy a channel as I give a poo poo to listen to, and that's mostly because Death Battle is neat nerd fantasy fulfilment.

I follow Kotaku, The Know, LGR, Cinemassacre, and Channel Awesome. Pleaset don't tell me LGR, AVGN, and Guy With the Glasses are all Milkshake Ducks.

As far as I know, LGR seems cool, as well as AVGN, though Mike Matei is a total dick. I don't think Doug is "problematic" just an idiot who couldn't run a business well, though I'm sure there's plenty of people who worked for him who have beef.

As for good reviewers, I like Joseph Anderson, he's not political/problematic at all and does really good long form video reviews of games.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

aware of dog posted:

Can everyone just stop using the term Mary Sue in general, it's really stupid to use it outside of the context of self-inserts and fan fiction, and an obviously gendered insult at that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I like Bob's takedowns of Cinemasins's "Everything Wrong With" videos.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JVNO posted:

More on topic: Does anybody else find it cringeworthy the term 'Youtube Intellectual' evokes people like Sargon and not, I don't know... Vsauce? PBS Idea Channel/Spacetime/It's OK to be smart/etc.? Braincraft? Veritasium? Numberphile? Smarter Every Day? CGP Grey? Kurzgesagt? Any of the Green brothers channels? I get so much of my entertainment from Youtube these days, and these channels make me incredibly optimistic of Youtube's capacity for improving education. Only think keeping be believing 'Youtube is a net good for society' :v:
That's what the word 'Intellectual' invokes for many outside of Youtube too. Academic says someone who has progressed within a framework (and may or may not be a dick outside of their field), educator/communicator is someone who is good at taking the ideas of the former outside to the general public, autodidact is someone who has trained themselves outside of that structure, whereas intellectual seems imbued with the idea that they don't need to do any of the above because they are just naturally high IQ individuals and well, actually.

Numberphile and Smarter Every Day have a communicator who isn't afraid to draw on academics and others to tell them what's going on, they make no claim to their own superior intellect.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

JVNO posted:

LGR is cool. Check out his buddy PushingUpRoses btw

WampaLord posted:

Mike Matei is a total dick.

:heysexy:

Who What Now posted:

I like Bob's takedowns of Cinemasins's "Everything Wrong With" videos.

Shaun and Jen did a couple of these too

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

I wish they really pushed the idea that Ren had his rear end kicked before that fight. Yeah, it's there but they left some reasonable doubt that let people get away with saying Rey's Superman now

Honestly I don't think it would have mattered. Pain and even injuries are real abstract and difficult to convey without a really obvious gushing wound. Doubly so for nerds who indulge heavily in media where neither really exist at all. It's not surprising that the fact Ren has to pause in the middle of the fight so he can wail on himself to keep going, which is also a bit weird and hard to understand, didn't connect with a lot of people. Really the only thing they probably could have done would be to have some shots, either from Ren's perspective or focused on him, with the generic whining pain noise and blurry pain filters all over it.

edit: I mean I guess they could have had closeups of his face and he's gritting his teeth or something? Like that's the other issue, the general way humans express pain don't really mesh well with the character of Murderlord the Living Hateboner.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 26, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TGLT posted:

Honestly I don't think it would have mattered. Pain and even injuries are real abstract and difficult to convey without a really obvious gushing wound. Doubly so for nerds who indulge heavily in media where neither really exist at all. It's not surprising that the fact Ren has to pause in the middle of the fight so he can wail on himself to keep going, which is also a bit weird and hard to understand, didn't connect with a lot of people. Really the only thing they probably could have done would be to have some shots, either from Ren's perspective or focused on him, with the generic whining pain noise and blurry pain filters all over it.

They had Han blow a stormtrooper off his feet and flung way back specifically to show that the bowcaster will gently caress your poo poo up. I thought it was pretty obvious that Kylo was in a bad way.

Also he was a whiny nerd and you don't need to be anything special to beat a nerd in a glowstick fight.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Also he was a whiny nerd and you don't need to be anything special to beat a nerd in a glowstick fight.

Here I think the problem was Ren doing the most amazing thing ever in the first 5 minutes of the move (freezing the bolt with the Force), which is a great way to set him up as a powerful villain, but is maybe raising the stakes too much.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

WampaLord posted:

Here I think the problem was Ren doing the most amazing thing ever in the first 5 minutes of the move (freezing the bolt with the Force), which is a great way to set him up as a powerful villain, but is maybe raising the stakes too much.

Honestly in spite of that the impression I always got of Ren is that he's just kind of a loser. I mean he's got the goofy overcompensating lightsaber that to me gives the impression of being only barely functional and spends most of his time doing just kind of pitiful poo poo. Then he gets his poo poo wrecked and fights someone else before he fights Rey, who's meanwhile in max motivation mode which is generally where the Force starts being a serious wildcard.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Feinne posted:

Honestly in spite of that the impression I always got of Ren is that he's just kind of a loser. I mean he's got the goofy overcompensating lightsaber that to me gives the impression of being only barely functional and spends most of his time doing just kind of pitiful poo poo. Then he gets his poo poo wrecked and fights someone else before he fights Rey, who's meanwhile in max motivation mode which is generally where the Force starts being a serious wildcard.

Which is why it's weird to show him pulling that off early on. It would be more effective if we slowly realize all his power is projection and he's actually a rookie.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JVNO posted:

Have you thought about Jim Sterling/Jimquisition? He only does videogame stuff, but he's pretty much on the SJW (as in, not being an rear end in a top hat to minorities) boat.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Jim is who the shitlords would lionise if they actually gave a single poo poo about ethics in videogame journalism.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Hbomberguy does half mocking of bad youtubers, half talking endlessly about Videogames. I think he gets more views on his gaming stuff actually, though i'd wager he gets more patreon from the social stuff.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

aware of dog posted:

Can everyone just stop using the term Mary Sue in general, it's really stupid to use it outside of the context of self-inserts and fan fiction, and an obviously gendered insult at that.

Basically, gently caress Max Landis

mary sue is a gendered insult

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maluco Marinero posted:

To be honest I put absolutely no thought into what male protagonists would be Mary Sue fanfic, but honestly it feels like 'all of them' would be only be slightly hyperbolic.

How common is the extremely competent male put upon by extraordinary circumstances, that always seems to make the morally correct decisions in times of hardship. Their flaws if present are typically presented as window dressing that doesn't impact upon their ability to finish their quest/battle whatever it may be.

- Aragorn
- Legolas
- Luke Skywalker
- John McClane
- Maximus in Gladiator
- Any Steven Seagal Character
- Any Tom Cruise Character
- Many Denzel Washington Action Characters

Hyper competent is common, not some outlier feminism forced upon movies. Im sure there are plenty more examples I could think of if I could be bothered.

john mclaine has is a lovely father and lovely husband whose wife is super successful in the corporate world and he fucks a lot of poo poo up, I wouldn't say he's super competent

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

WampaLord posted:

Really the true solution is just to ignore Twitter.

Even the good thread favorite youtube intellectuals have some really embarrassingly bad poo poo on their Twitter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Die Hard would be a much shorter film if he was half as over-powered as the average Gary-Stu. Heck his biggest handicap in the movie, being shoeless, is sparked from him feeling ill from the plane journey and being given a folk remedy that he has a go with.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dongicus posted:

Even the good thread favorite youtube intellectuals have some really embarrassingly bad poo poo on their Twitter.

Have any of them pulled an Eichenwald tho?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Which is why it's weird to show him pulling that off early on. It would be more effective if we slowly realize all his power is projection and he's actually a rookie.

He's not a rookie though. His fatal flaw is that he's deeply insecure, not that he's incapable. It's why he fucks up and ultimately lets the group escape Jakuu with BB-8 in the first place, and why he fucks off when he captures Rey instead of hanging around to grab BB-8 as insurance. The Last Order probably could have killed them all at the start and he probably could have grabbed BB-8 the second time they fought, but he has an overwhelming need to prove how big and bad and tough he is. edit: poo poo, even his refusal to kill Rey comes out of his desire to do something impressive instead of doing something safe.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 26, 2017

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Jim is who the shitlords would lionise if they actually gave a single poo poo about ethics in videogame journalism.

This is very true. It's odd to say that I primarily listen to video game stuff from a guy who talks a good bit about ethics in games journalism. It's just that when it's not being used as a cover for harassing women in gaming, the subject is very interesting and not at all shitlordy.

Only thing I should add is that at least on his main podcast, Laura Dale's stuff is edgy in the NSFW sense. She reviews a bunch of very odd and very inapprops games, as in the Robert Yang stuff. It's also the only game hype podcast I bother to listen to, since most of the big podcasts I've seen are either just industry front pieces or are run by verified shitlords like Total Biscuit. Also, there's lots of discussion about lower profile games, so if you are interested in the low end of Steam, they go into some diamonds in the shitpile quite a bit.

His videogame movie podcast (Spinoff Doctors/Movie Boys) is also very good, but you will not find either of the hosts having much nice to say about the very bad video game spinoff movies they review. But it's not mean in the standard shitlord sense, and more in the "How the hell did this poo poo get filmed?" sense. Them savaging Pixels was a thing of beauty.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, it was like, "Whoa, super powerful!" but then he gets depowered later on in the movie.

It's my secret hope that the twist later in the series is that Snoke is just a despot and not a Force user, and only "turned" Kylo Ren as a psychological weapon against Leia and the others.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

aware of dog posted:

And for the record, this includes Luke freaking Skywalker

The guy got extremely lucky in the A New Hope and had Obi-Wan guiding him the entire time and Han had to bail him out in the Leia Rescue (Leia out of the three heroes being the most competent interestingly) and at the end by blowing up the Death Star.

In the Empire Strikes Back he narrowly survived the battle of Hoth wrecking his ship in the process, messed up his training with Yoda and ran off to save his friends and failed leading to Han being frozen in Carbonite and losing a duel with Vader losing his hand.

Only in Return of the Jedi did he approach the broken Mary Sue level with the rescuing of Han from Jabba and even then he had his team backing him up. At the end he hosed up again and nearly succumbed to the Dark Side and only really won because Vader had enough and bodyslammed the Emperor down the exhaust pipe.

Rey on the other hand is like a video game character come to life and succeeds in becoming a Jedi in a couple of days and never fucks up which makes for a boring protagonist.

Rouge One is a better film than the Force Awakens because at least Jyn is an actual character and not just a audience surrogate for little kids.

Intrinsic Field Marshal fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 26, 2017

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Is there a Star Wars equivalent of Godwin's law?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Is there a Star Wars equivalent of Godwin's law?

It probably includes aesthetic evaluation of the prequels.

• Locked thread