Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Beat: Twinkle Star Sprites - I had this nulled for awhile, and then I saw people playing this in the Combo Breaker Mystery Game grand finals and gave it another shot. Pretty entertaining competitive arcade puzzle game, if you can get past the cutesy theme.

Beat: Neo Turf Masters - It's a golf game but it has some interesting flair to it. I went through the four courses, though I'm not going to say I did great at them.

Beat: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - Proud of this one, it's been in my backlog for a long time and I've always wanted to beat it. I made a couple attempts at this game awhile back but this time I got through. I don't know what I can say about this game that hasn't been said a million times at this point, but wow. What a game. The world is well thought out and links together in interesting ways, but it doesn't bog you down with exposition either. Even the respawn mechanic makes sense thematically. A lot of the game mechanics can take some getting used to, and the corpse recovery mechanic adds a lot of tension to the early game. Even basic enemies pose a threat early on, though after min-maxing your character and their equips the PvE becomes a little bit easy, except for some especially brutal segments (Seath with his "crash the game" breath and invisible platforming segments gave me lots of trouble). I tried a bit of PvP, and though it was hard to find matchmaking at times (given how old this game is) I had fun with it when I was able to find it. I'm not going to bother with NG+, but I will probably play DSII (which I already own) and DSIII when I get the chance.

Null: Castle Crashers - Kind of been sitting on this one thinking I'd play it co-op at some point, but I'm unlikely to want to organize that for this game. Not really crazy about the way they do beat-em-up gameplay. Attacks feel kind of stubby, movement feels kind of slow. Art style is nice though.

Null: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy - This seems to have a bit of a cult following but as far as I can tell it's basically a meme game. Really ambitious in that it has a ton of wacky game mechanics, but is also incredibly janky. Weird translation issues, hard to read UI at high resolutions, and generally lacks any sort of polish. Even has Half Life 2-era Source Engine loading screens. I like the idea of being able to hack everything, but the hacking minigame is not really that fun or good. Played for 30 minutes but I'm going to pass on this one.

Null: Binary Domain - I nulled this once before and decided to try it again, I think someone in the thread had a good experience. The gunplay just felt weird to me with both a gamepad and m+kb. Voice commands are a neat gimmick, but this game just doesn't seem to be for me.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

dhamster posted:

Beat: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

Congrats on beating Dark Souls. I also finished it relatively recently, after bouncing off it a couple of times. It's astonishing that it manages to live up to its lofty reputation.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I have a massive amount of games to work through. I play a lot of games, but I don't finish them. I currently have 116 games- to be fair, I was gifted most of them.

http://backloggery.com/Sociopastry

This list doesn't include the f2p games on steam.

Right now I'm trying to work through Dark Souls and Halcyon 6. I usually play a couple games at a time because my ADHD riddled rear end can't pay attention to something for that long.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

dhamster posted:

Beat: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - Proud of this one, it's been in my backlog for a long time and I've always wanted to beat it. I made a couple attempts at this game awhile back but this time I got through. I don't know what I can say about this game that hasn't been said a million times at this point, but wow. What a game. The world is well thought out and links together in interesting ways, but it doesn't bog you down with exposition either. Even the respawn mechanic makes sense thematically. A lot of the game mechanics can take some getting used to, and the corpse recovery mechanic adds a lot of tension to the early game. Even basic enemies pose a threat early on, though after min-maxing your character and their equips the PvE becomes a little bit easy, except for some especially brutal segments (Seath with his "crash the game" breath and invisible platforming segments gave me lots of trouble). I tried a bit of PvP, and though it was hard to find matchmaking at times (given how old this game is) I had fun with it when I was able to find it. I'm not going to bother with NG+, but I will probably play DSII (which I already own) and DSIII when I get the chance.

Whenever you get a chance to (because steam anonymous), i recommend at least going through DS1 at NG+. It might be a simple stat rework in comparison to the changes DS2 and it's re-release did, but if you still remember what you did and how to play, you'll be in Anor Londo in an hour or two, and you'll amaze yourself at how you have improved, especially with the gear and weapon setup you are now comfortable with.

I played the games in order as they released, so It was a pretty interesting journey going from 200 hours logged into DS1, thinking i was hot poo poo, then dying to some hippo monster in DS2 10 minutes in, then learning what mechanics they improved (or messed up) in the next game.

Dark Souls 3 is probably the best in terms of mechanics. Design decisions that should've been introduced a long time ago, were implemented, and it's hard to go back to 1 and 2 because of it.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 19, 2017

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Nulled - Borderlands: The Pre-sequel - I started co-oping this with my brother. We had played through 1 and 2 together and really enjoyed them. It's been awhile since we played the first 2, but neither of us enjoyed this. I'd say we gave it a fair shake at about 4 hours of playtime. You can really tell that it's not made by the same people. It almost seems like a fan game that is trying too hard to be as quirky as the originals. Just not great overall.

Nulled - The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes - I was really hoping this would be workable single player because the online realm is mostly dead or full of idiots. But it's just not good by yourself and coordinating my life to play consistently with 2 other people would be annoying.

Nulled - Payday 2 - Not really a beatable game to begin with, but I was not a fan of this game. Claims to be a heist game, but usually devolves into "shoot off wave after wave of cops as you wait for a drill to go through the vault door."

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Beaten - Maize - I got it with humble bundle monthly and thought i would look see what it was about. One of the best story based fps puzzle games i have played, shame its not got much replayability due to the fixed stpry.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Beaten - Risk of Rain - :toot:

Okay I mean I just beat the final boss with Acrid after lots and lots of tries, and I need to go back and try the other characters I've unlocked. Huge thanks to Spelunky for training me how to move and play in this kind of game - and of course, Risk of Rain itself is lots of fun? For once the timed stuff didn't bother me in a game, and I get a big kick out of getting new items.

...That all said, wow! This was a game I installed genuinely not expecting to ever beat it ala Spelunky, and instead - nope! I get to see the credits at least once! :D

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Beaten - Arkham Asymlum/City/Knight

Tried to play AA a few years ago but couldn't get into it. Tried it this time with a xbox controller instead of K + M and it seemed a lot better. The game play and graphics progressed very nicely across all three titles. Knight was probably my favorite. The vehicle/tank portions got a little old by the end but weren't too terrible. I did not collect anywhere close to all the riddler trophies and didn't like how story content was locked behind getting all of them in each game. I only paid like $20 for all three during sales, good games for the price total.

Beaten - Oxenfree

Really, really enjoyed this game. The art style and music were great and the characters were actually very believable. The dialogue between the characters was fantastic. The backtracking was slightly annoying because the move speed was somewhat slow in sections but overall a really awesome game.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 19, 2017

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Beaten- Grim Dawn

This game was hella fun. I'm not usually one for ARPGs, but I really enjoyed this one. I played through it with the DAIL mod on a friend's recommendation and it really made the game shine for me. I like that there's a ton of customization that you can do with your character in a way that I've never really gotten from other games like it. The story itself was pretty good, too. I really liked the Cthonic portal worlds and the like. Definitely gonna play this one again.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Finished: CrossCells
It's no Hexcells but it's still a pretty enjoyable casual puzzler.
Math-based though, so if you enjoy sudoku or something like Everyday Genious: Squarelogic, there's a good chance you'll also enjoy this.
The multiplication parts are tricky at first, as the operater isn't really introduced that well when you have to take into account the direction you are totalling up.
The biggest gripe is really the lack of "just one more level" feeling that Hexcells had, but other than that it's a nice 1-2 hours of puzzles.

Finished: Scarlett Mysteries:Cursed Child
One of the latest Artifex Mundi HOGs. Very polished and fien for a couple of hours of mindless entertainment.

Finished: SquareCells
I guess the developer wanted to make an advanced Picross, but it never really clicked with me, the way Hexcells did.
But grab it at a sale if you enjoyed Hexcells and/or CrossCells, as it's definitely not bad.

Nulled: Streets of Chaos
Cards were added so I gave it a go instead of just idling the cards. I regret losing fifteen minutes of my life to this Mafia Wars kind of thing.

Finished: Sniper Elite 4
Gotterdammerung, it's a blast!
Shooting Hitler, or any nazi for that matter, in the balls, is always a joy, and after not being able to get Sniper Elite 3 to run for more than a few minutes without crashing, SE4 is rock solid.
I haven't tried the regular multiplayer, but Kragger and I have done some co-op missions, and have been having a blast with them as well.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Been a while since I posted. So here are my highlights:

Beaten - HunniePop - 99% Completion - Despite the adult nature of this match 3 dating sim and the overall stigma it has, it is actually a really addictive match 3 game. Ive heard it's like Puzzles ad Dragons on 3DS, which makes me want to get that game.

Playing (Still) - Marvel Heroes 2016 - 24 Characters. One at level 60. All at least to level 30. All non-owned Heroes to level 10. 100+ Hours. 20 dollars spent. I know this game changed significantly recently, but when I want an easy action RPG to play that is fun and I can play with a controller on my couch, I play this one. Game is good, what can I say.

Playing - Path of Exile - 30 hours total - I beat the game when it first came out years ago, but now the game is effectively doubling in size (10 acts) and I only beat it with one class. So I have made a character with each class and an additional hardcore character. Its the best Diablo 2 that isnt Diablo 2 aesthetic wise. Torchlight 2 probably has a closer skill system to D2, but POE is a better game. My only complaint is that it is an online only MMO. I would happily pay 60 bucks to have this on GOG and offline playable.

strategery fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 22, 2017

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Beat: Dead Space - Here's another one that I'd been looking to finish for quite some time, but stopped playing for whatever reason. In spite of how old Dead Space is, it's still a very visually appealing game. I sort of like how it has some consistent visual themes: rows of horizontal stripes, slat and lines stacked on top of each other, glowing lights in the darkness. The monster designs are also quite good, though the enemy variety suffers at times. Some types of enemies get little more than a pallette shift, and some encounters almost feel recycled with some minor variations here and there. I liked how they handled the HUD and menus being a seamless part of Isaac or the game world.

Though it's a horror game it didn't really feel that scary. It was definitely very violent, and there was a lot of body horror stuff going on with the necromorphs, but it's usually shoved right in your face. I didn't usually feel tense because there seemed to be a lot of "tells" when you were in danger or not. The music would usually tip you off to whether an enemy was there or not, and if that wasn't enough, enemies will stand still and roar at you when they show up, giving you ample time to get a couple free shots in. Some areas clearly seemed to be there to help you stock up on resources before or after a fight, and seldom throw in an ambush to keep you on your toes. Even when I was fully caught by surprise, most encounters didn't feel threatening enough to make the game feel scary. Usually I was more concerned about wasting ammo or health than dying outright. Still, the focus on dismemberment makes for some really unique shooter gameplay, though it seemed a little contrived. It can be harder to shoot a flailing limb than aiming in other FPS, but the enemies respond to being cut up in grotesque and interesting ways.

Money management was a little weird and took me out of the experience a little bit, though I did like how that gave damage a sense of permanence--you never get a free heal, and paying for health kits means you have less money to spend on upgrading your guy. Upgrades made the game easier in the long run, but also kept me short on cash, continually causing me to feel short on ammo, etc. Which was good, considering the type of game I'm playing. With regards to the story, I was a little annoyed by the twist at the end because it seemed really obvious to me. Maybe "I was hallucinating!" wasn't as much of a cliche back then as it is now, because the only surprise I got out of the ending was that the developers did not expect the player to understand they were interacting with an imaginary character, so they had to spell it out for them.

Overall: very good. Probably not going to play the sequels because I hear they are disappointing, but this was a really nice game and I am glad I went back and beat it.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 22, 2017

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Dead Space 2 becomes a bit more third person shooter but is still a good game. I've only played dead space 3 coop but it was a blast to play with my wife.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
NULLED: Ace Combat Assault Horizon. I always heard these games were good, and finally I get to play one on my PC. I spent a good ten minutes in the tutorial chasing a guy around. I feel like a flight sim should be either completely sim or completely arcade. I've played few games that toe the line between the two. As such, this game just feels like a flight combat sim with very strange controls.

BEAT: Injustice: Gods Among Us. Holy poo poo, I am not a comic book guy at all, and to be honest it wasn't until this very game that I discovered the Green Lantern isn't a Marvel property, and neither is Captain Marvel? Well, anyway, this game is loving amazing. It's a standard Mortal Kombat dial-a-combo kind of thing, but the animation, the models, the environments are all so well done. The story in the game is mostly just excuses to get characters to fight characters they wouldn't otherwise fight, but that's about all any superhero movie is about anyway. I found this story to be more engrossing than The Avengers ever was. This makes me want to go read comics.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

credburn posted:

and neither is Captain Marvel?

Both Marvel and DC actually have separate Captains Marvel! The DC one has I believe always been Billy Batson/Shazam, while the title's one that a few people have had in Marvel, and is currently held by Carol Danvers.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Also there is literally an Injustice comic if you want more of that jam.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

credburn posted:

NULLED: Ace Combat Assault Horizon. I always heard these games were good, and finally I get to play one on my PC. I spent a good ten minutes in the tutorial chasing a guy around. I feel like a flight sim should be either completely sim or completely arcade. I've played few games that toe the line between the two. As such, this game just feels like a flight combat sim with very strange controls.

As a fan of the series, this one was tepid at best.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shadow225 posted:

Also there is literally an Injustice comic if you want more of that jam.

This comic is very good and also very short compared to most comic storylines. Each issue is about 5 minutes of reading, and theres maybe 25 or so per "year" of the storyline and there are five years. I highly recommend finding a way to read it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Summer sale time, and I still had some leftover gift card money from Christmas.

NEW GAME: CrossCells.
NEW GAME: ICEY.

and as is also getting to be traditional for me with these sale purchases, they're top priority.

COMPLETED: CrossCells. It's a very different feeling from HexCells and SquareCells, because it's more Magic Square than Picross. It's still very clever and it ends before it wears out its welcome.

BEATEN: ICEY. I seem to recall reading somewhere that this was made by a Mainland Chinese indie developer to try to make a game that's like a Western indie game. My overall takeaway is "it's pretty OK for a first effort, but everything it does decently somebody else has done better." Specifically: The Stanley Parable, Dust: An Elysian Tail, and Eversion.

... and with those three, if my recollection of how this game was made and targeted is right, means that they did pretty all right. The biggest problem, I think, is that it tries to do the Stanley Parable hostile-narrator trick, but this falls down because the game's setup means that at any given moment the narrator is either the story narrator trying to keep the story on track, a sinister in-fiction character manipulating the main character for their own inscrutable purpose, or (notionally) the devs themselves. It's completely fatal to conflate the first and last, because it means that the narrator spends a lot of time acting hurt and betrayed that you're finding the secrets that they put there. Even without that problem, it still takes you out of the Stanley Parable space and into the Pony Island space, and the Pony Island space just isn't as good.

The 2D brawler stuff was fun enough, though, even on Hard; I needed to do some farming but it wasn't hard to figure out how best to do that—and by the time I needed to, I'd figured out enough of how the game worked that I wasn't disappointed that the narrator didn't notice.

The level design includes enough intentional skips that I'm comfortable calling it "multilinear'< too, which is more than Pony Island can claim.

I've still got a couple bonus areas to clear and I think there's also a True Final Boss as well, and that seems like it'd be worth it.

REVISITED/UNBACKLOG: Stephen's Sausage Roll. I have no illusions that I'll be able to ever finish this, but I did manage to finally work out enough of the mechanics to clear the first world.

REVISITED: Super Mario Galaxy 2. Got all the Green Stars and unlocked the Grandmaster Galaxy! Still haven't managed to beat Grandmaster Galaxy, even for the first star, but GameFAQs suggests I'm close.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: Dishonored 2

Huge fan of the first Dishonored, but this felt ever-so-slightly disappointing by comparison. Don't get me wrong, Dishonored 2 is great, but (by the end of my second playthrough) it was feeling a bit like a chore in a way Dishonored never did.

But there's so much great stuff here. The Blink power is as freeing as it was in the original, and loving with guards continues to be sadistically fun. Whether you're diving onto them from rooftops, mincing them with razor mines, possessing them and walking them into deathtraps, hurling them off buildings or just plain immolating them, it never stops being excellent fun.

Also, while I think Dunwall just about has the edge aesthetically, Karnaca is a downright beautiful Mediterranean pastiche. The whole thing hangs together beautifully, with the dusty slums seamlessly segueing into lush manor houses and squares. The architectural highlight is definitely the Duke's Castle, which is this semi-brutalist/modernist concrete dream plonked in the middle of Neo-Victoriana. It's brill.

There's also two immediately classic levels. The clockwork mansion with its sadistic inventor in the middle is a mind-boggling feat of level design, essentially two or three levels crammed into the same spot that whirr and click between layouts. It all makes spatial sense too, and the first time you duck behind a sliding bookcase and access the grimy back passages of the house full of gears is brill. Then there's the time-shifting cursed house, where you can switch between two eras and engage in all kinds of time-travellin' puzzles. The best bit was, without being nudged one way or the other, I managed to fix someone's sanity by thinking laterally (and fourth dimensionally). Impressively, this managed to change lots of different aspects of the rest of the game - as I'd changed the future so drastically it affected lots of stuff outside of the immediate mission.

The downers are little things that mounted up over time. Much moreso than in the last game I was constantly hungry for Mana potions and generally on the last gasp of Mana throughout most of the game. I didn't feel like I was being particularly OTT with the powers, but if you try for creative stuff like linking minds, freezing time and unleashing rats and so on, you're going to run dry pretty quickly. On top of that the loading took forever on my computer - which is pretty bad for a stealth game in which you're vulnerable and will probably die a lot. I did a low chaos Emily run first, which wasn't so bad as I was careful, but my high-chaos Corvo run was load times city. Got a bit much.

BEATEN: The Saboteur

Really wasn't expecting much from this, and got it for about 20p because of goon recommendations. Glad I did because the game is pretty drat excellent. Sure it's dated graphically, a little janky and doesn't really do anything original - but as a complete package it's boundlessly entertaining. Shooting Nazis is always fun, but shooting them as a sweary Irishman who's constantly shouting "BOLLOCKS" makes it all the more fun.

The whole game has a pulp vibe to it that it never swerves from. Lead character Sean is all but invincible in a firefight, regenerating his health in just a couple of seconds of cover. It means that, while there are stealth systems to work with, by far the most efficient way of completing missions is to run at the Nazis screaming obscenities and gunning down anything with a red armband.

It's not smart, it's not original and it's honestly pretty easy - but it's fun as gently caress and nails the tone. Enjoyed my whole time with the game (albeit playing just the main missions).

BEATEN: Metro 2033 Redux

Really enjoyed this too. Felt like a slightly retro tinged retake FPS, with the ruined industrial background, silent protagonist and real-time(ish) progression through the levels. There were a couple of things I was skeptical about - the constant hunt for air filters sounded like a pain. In the event they seemed to be everywhere, though maybe this was added in the Redux version.

Anyhows, it's beautiful in a grotty kind of way, doesn't go on too long, has an intriguing backstory and surreal weirdness lurking the background. The gunplay against monsters could be a little tighter, but it's easily overlookable. Moved Last Light up my to-play list.

BEATEN: The Turing Test

A pretty shameless Portal ripoff, but one that just about squeaks into interesting territory. Just about. It's 'yer standard how human is an AI story with a minor twist in the middle that works. However, the puzzles are a bit too easy (that or I'm a genius) and have very little opportunity for the player to think outside the box and come up with their own solution. If the devs made a game that was a bit more original I'd go for it, but shamelessly copying nearly every aspect of one of the most iconic games of all time (minus the humour) feels a bit lame.

BEATEN: Costume Quest

Overly simple, repetitive turn based RPG. I think it might actually be intended for under tens. Also I made the mistake of playing this on my Android and the port seems to have been bodged together in an afternoon. Completely lacking any tactics, levelling up, or skill - bit of a waste of time.

BEATEN: Neon Drive

Pretty but hard as gently caress 80s themed rhythm action game. Even on normal it's pretty merciless - two missed beats and it's game over. But I liked the aesthetic and the music, so I got through it eventually. Maybe worth a look if you're really into 1980s kitsch.

NULLED: Brilliant Bob

Bottom of the bargain bucket platformer assembled in Unity. Controls like a dog, full of physics glitches and the intro sequence is a powerpoint presentation. Made it halfway through before realising I was wasting my life and quickly uninstalled.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

New: Assassin's Creed Black Flag, DOOM, Guilty Gear 2: Overture, Bayonetta - Picked up a couple things from the Steam sale. I used to buy up a ton of cheap indie games during these sales, but now I just pick out a few games I'm especially interested in or excited about. Otherwise I find that I take forever to try them, and am unlikely to play them for a significant amount of time.

Null: Hatoful Boyfriend - Basically a meme game. I'm not really that in to visual novel type games, so I dropped this one quickly.

Null: Uplink OS - I gave up on Uplink a couple years ago after ~12 hours of play, but decided to take another shot at it with "Uplink OS," a modernized interface mod. The new UI certainly is slick, and I was engrossed for a short while doing a lot of simple missions in a row, but I started to get annoyed with some of the more advanced hacking tools. Overall it's a fun hacking simulator, but I think it's worn out its welcome with me. Too much staring at progress bars.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Beat: 80 Days. Very good replay value, a single journey takes about 2 hours. I know I'll play this a few more times. The steampunk elements seemed unnecessary though, but the writers probably wanted a bit more diversity in modes of transport for the era the game's set in. Inspired me to pick up the book.

Beat: Her Story. Mysteries are extremely my poo poo. But there isn't much of a conclusion, many questions remain unanswered. The end of the game is literally someone asking you if you understand things better now.

Beat: Metal Gear Solid V. Incredible gameplay (save for that one mission), story is confusing and clearly ends too soon. There's an online multiplayer aspect you can opt out of via microtransactions. What the poo poo. And it's full of cheaters (on PC anyway).

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 30, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stick Insect posted:

Beat: 80 Days. Very good replay value, a single journey takes about 2 hours. I know I'll play this a few more times. The steampunk elements seemed unnecessary though, but the writers probably wanted a bit more diversity in modes of transport for the era the game's set in. Inspired me to pick up the book.

Jules Verne is basically the father of modern steampunk aesthetics but yeah, strangely Around the World is very realistic. Verne's later science fiction writing got incorporated into the story on retellings so most people's image is that.

I love the book although it's strange to see a Frenchman speak so lovingly and detailed about English society. It's the most anglophile book I've read.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright you ready? Here's a whole bunch

BEATEN: Mirror's Edge Catalyst - They got everything wrong. EVERYTHING.

BEATEN: Unravel - Adorable indie game that is shackled to Origin so no one knows it exists. Imagine a really good looking Little Big Planet but replace the bland platforming with yarn puzzles and swinging around.

BEATEN: The Saboteur - Open-world Nazi-punching action game. Someone else reviewed it on this page so just defer to that.

BEATEN: Spaceman Sparkles II - Twin-stick (i think, I played with KB&M tho) bullet hell shooter with crazy good (if repetitive) music

BEATEN: Poi - Went into detail about this game in the Summer Sale thread

BEATEN: Tick Tock Bang Bang - SuperHOT knockoff by Dejabaan set in the Drunken Robot Pornography universe. It's okay. It's not very difficult.

BEATEN: A Normal Lost Phone - Preferred this to Replica, very short but more personal and relatable narrative

BEATEN: Typing of the Dead Overkill - A riot of a good ol time!! Presented as a series of grindhouse films, Agent G and Isaac Washington mow down countless "mutants" using the power of WORDS. if you're at all a good typer you might want to set the difficulty to hard. also, the final boss battle is a bizarre difficulty spike as it requires you to type out word association instead of following prompts, so it uses a different part of your brain (the not-twitchy part) in a situation where a boss is throwing poo poo at you and enemies are running at you

BEATEN: Stories: The Path of Destinies - Went into this in length in the Summer Sale thread

BEATEN: De-Void - I gave this dev the benefit of the doubt with Solarix but De-Void was embarrassingly amateur, with animation-less models being moved around like action figures, and the flattest lighting I've ever seen in a commercial Unreal Engine game.

BEATEN: Milkmaid of the Milky Way - A short but cute point-n-click adventure about a farmgirl that stows away on an alien ship.

BEATEN: Lasercat - Simple room-by-room platformer where you collect keys to free your owl friend. Each key has a bizarre trivia question that is sometimes nonsense.

BEATEN: Gemini Heroes Reborn - Bizarrely competent licensed game, a (short) first person telekinetic action game where you can mind-grab just about anything and throw it, including bullets, and including the people shooting at you. grab people and throw em into a fan, or live wires!! there's a silly narrative that is tied into the Heroes Reborn series that was DOA when it aired. be aware it's large for a small single-A game (20 gig install)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed - Yooka-Laylee: I got 100% achievements, and I'm not sure why. I think maybe I kept wanting it to be better; to bring me back to my N64 collectathon youth. There were whiffs of something great in there, but it was constantly lost in the crap and tedium of everything else. So many things were unnecessary. Had they taken out the side crap (like retro video games that weren't fun, or an entire level where you had to collect things to exchange with a guy to get the things you really need to collect) and focused on the core gameplay, I feel like they would have had a much better game on their hands. In the end, I was mostly disappointed and wished I was just replaying Banjo-Kazooie.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 2, 2017

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Beat: Undertale - A lot to like about this game, and it does a lot of really unique things. The game remembers things, even outside of its saving/loading system. Certain things carry over between playthroughs. Certain events let you skip them the second time you see them. Your choices, especially with regards to killing stuff, have consequences, and Undertale does a good job of making non-violent actions in combat interesting. I saw two of the endings (Neutral and "True Pacifist") and they were both really cool, and broke the game in surprising and interesting ways. Lots of easter eggs and secrets to be found by playing the game multiple times, but I decided to stop at two playthroughs. I don't think I would enjoy doing the "Genocide" run, so I mostly watched the interesting bits of that on Youtube. Anyway, a great game with sympathetic characters.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Undertale is one of those games that I don't know if I'll ever play again, and not because I didn't like it. On the contrary, I liked it a lot. But it had this really clever way of breaking the fourth wall and using actual video game mechanics as a storytelling device, which means that when I loaded it up once to play it again after I'd beaten it the loving flower showed up and was like "Okay but if you restart the game you're going to erase your friends' happy endings" and loving hell if that mass of pixels actually got to me and I immediately closed the game and I haven't opened it since :ohdear:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

As a fan of the series, this one was tepid at best.

When you say "series" are you talking about the DC universe's Injustice thing, or this series of games, or the modern Mortal Kombat variations?

Beat: Steamworld Dig - I heard Steamworld Heist was good, so I thought I'd play through this, first. I thought it was a Terraria kind of game, but it's not. It's really a Metroidvania and not bad, either. I put in a total of five hours into it until I got to the end. There wasn't a lot I missed, some extra stuff if one is wanting to 100% it, but it's not outrageous. In fact, if I put another hour into it, I probably could, too, but I've had my fill.

Beat: Plague Incorporated - Some of the most simple games are so addicting. It's a lot of fun for a quick ten minute game.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Null: Guilty Gear 2 -Overture- - I thought I would like this as a fan of the series, and I knew it was a bit different from the rest of the GG games, but I ended up getting fed up with the campaign. While other GG games are 2D fighters, this one is a 3D action RTS in the Herzog Zwei/Brutal Legend sense, though it came out before Brutal Legend. It's fun to control Sol in 3D, and they did a good job on that, but the game is simply drowning in mechanics. Your character can do pretty much anything a Guilty Gear character can do (moves, specials, roman cancels, bursts, overdrives, dashes, jumps, airdashes...) but is also in charge of commanding units on the battlefield through a somewhat clunky interface that takes you out of the action. On top of that there is a complicated web of interactions between different types of units and structures: each class of unit has several rock-paper-scissors relationships against other units, and different types of units are more or less useful taking out certain structures. The campaign does its best to ease you into how the game works, but it's still pretty confusing and relies a lot on tooltips to teach some gameplay mechanics. I got about halfway through the campaign. Campaign missions seem to like to mix it up with weird objectives, which is what caused me to eventually lose interest. After a frustrating mission with a suicidal AI ally (who loses you the game if he dies) I was given a sort of easter-egg hunt mission where I needed to hunt for different points of interest on a large map, while being forbidden to kill any enemies. I guess it showed off what the engine was capable of, but it just wasn't fun. In terms of story, the dialogue gets bogged down a lot in meaningless jargon specific to the GG world, and some of the new characters are pretty annoying. Overall I decided it wasn't for me.

Null: Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter - Seemed like more of the same after the first game. Wasn't really drawn in by it.

Null: Magicka - Played about two hours but I think I might shelve it. Quirky with some unique game mechanics, but I think I've had my fill of it. Seems best as a co-op title but I don't really want to go through the effort to organize that.

Started: LISA - About halfway through. Pretty fun RPG full of dark humor. Will probably end up finishing this one.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 12, 2017

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

credburn posted:

When you say "series" are you talking about the DC universe's Injustice thing, or this series of games, or the modern Mortal Kombat variations?

Uh, the Ace Combat series. The one they finally put on PC is just not that good.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
I feel guilty that I have all these games and I keep coming back to action RPGS that I have beaten.

Playing : Marvel Heroes Omega 150 hours in. 25 characters ( i only bought 1 with actual money). All characters are at least level 50. I'm going to get everyone to 60 and then see what the actual endgame is.

Playing : Path of Exile I beat this years ago, but now the game has had a ton of updates and is soon getting an expansion that makes the game have 10 acts instead of (i think) 5. I didnt remember how the skill tree worked at first, so I am not playing my original character. Ranger level 26 at the moment. I have a character in each class.

Elder Scrolls Online (PS4) Oh god, Ill never finish any new games now.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: HITMAN: Season One

Loved it. It's an effortlessly cool combination of puzzle, stealth and action packed with imagination. Above all that it's a hilarious comedy as well, with the best deaths being the most funniest and ironic. There's something really satisfying in the way you get tasked with killing these horrible 1%ers in darkly funny ways, usually by turning their own passions and flaws against them. Best deaths in my opinion were yoga-ing someone to death, scaring someone by pretending to be the ghost of his Mum, a poisoned vegan birthday cake, shooting a plane down with an antique cannon, exploiting someone's OCD to drive them nuts and hacking an AI surgeon to go bananas and turn the patient, my target, into a pin cushion.

Got a couple of regrets: I was seriously skeptical of the episodic release format but now I really wish I'd picked it up at the start. I replayed each level a bunch of times, but there's the sense that it'd be much more satisfying if I had a month to really learn each environment inside and out. Also, I came in just in time for the final 'Elusive Target', which hosed up by mistake in about 30 seconds and now can never retry.

The only real flaw is a twitchy 'subdue' button that occasionally had me thumping a victim in the head and drawing guards from all around. There's also the menus, which I think do an online check each time you bring them up. There's a 10-15 second wait each time you bring up the save menu, which really adds up given them myriad ways you can gently caress up.

I hope IO get Season 2 out now that they're independent, though I'm going to play Blood Money for the first time soon and can't wait.

BEATEN: Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Ended up at a pub a while back that had a SF2 machine in the back. Got drunk and had a great time playing all night, so when I got home late I ordered an arcade fightstick I definitely don't need. Figured I should probably take the opportunity to finally get good at Street Fighter II. Read a couple of articles (and Shoryuken's excellent beginner's book) and did some serious training. So, after 27 years of playing Street Fighter II I have progressed from embarrassing to 'merely' bad. At least I can finally do dragon punches >70% of the time now.

Played a bunch of matches on Fightcade and got my butt kicked (though I won once... possibly because of lag), but I'm getting my butt kicked in a constructive manner. Counting it as beat because I finished the game with every character (on the easiest setting but still) and got the Akuma fight at the end.

Incidentally, it still totally rules and the gameplay doesn't feel at all dated. One of my GOATs.

BEATEN: Sengoku 3

Scrolling beat-em-up I assume came with the Neo-Geo Bundle on HB a while back. It's alright. Typically nice SNK animation for the leads and enemies, but backgrounds are digitised pre-renders and a bit bland. Fighting system is alright though, it's all about mixing up quick and heavy attacks to get a decent combo going. Completel oval office of a last boss though.

BEATEN: Streets of Rage 2

Another scrolling beat-em-up, but probably the best one of all time. Had a kinda fun time playing it. Started with a friend playing co-op, but he couldn't stick around so I went through the last levels solo. The game is much more fun with a friend. Love the constantly shifting and imaginative levels (secret elevator in a baseball field! tropical beach! Gigeresque Alien hive!) and, obviously, the totally bangin soundtrack. Not such a fan of the cheap bosses and the loving jetpack enemies. Still, you can see why it's a classic.

BEATEN: Titan's Souls

Minimalistically tricky boss rush game where one hit = death for both you and the 17 bosses. The skill comes from uncovering each bosses' weak point and timing firing your one arrow into it. I enjoyed it, though it was loving frustrating at times. For every time I executed a perfect chain of dodges ending with a pixel perfect shot there were 30 times where I got whomped with no recourse. Then there was the slightly unsatisfying moments where I randomly shot the arrow and happened to score a win.

I beat every boss in the game and unlocked the secret final boss and full ending, so it must have been doing something right for me not to give up in annoyance.

BEATEN: Space Channel 5

Still funky after all this time. I used to be pretty good on this back in the day, so I was pleased to see it pop up at courtesy of Steam Randomizer. Took me a couple of tries of the first level to get my rhythm down, but I quickly got back into the swing of things. It's a rhythm game that's entirely based on sound cues rather than visual bars and so on, so often the best thing to do is look away from the screen to get the timing right. Aced most of it, but the reverse directions final boss nearly finished me off. Will play Space Channel 5: 2 soon as I've never had a go.

NULLED: S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

Bought this in the Steam sale and was really psyched for it. Installed the fan-fix mods and a graphical upgrade and then played it and... it was terrible. Enemies are bullet sponges that I couldn't hit and the game just seemed janky and dull. I really tried to like it, and I figure it's got to have something going for it if it's got such a rabid fanbase. But after three or four hours I wasn't having fun and refunded it.

NULLED: Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams

Had this lying around and thought I'd give it a whirl as I liked Alpha 3 on the Dreamcast back in the day. Feels like a proof of concept more than a proper Street Fighter - character selection is back down to eight and they don't even have their own stages. Finished it as Ryu and Sagat and decided to shift focus to Alpha 2 whenever I can get hold of a copy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've beaten so many games since the last update that I can't really do synopses of them, just ask me sometime in the Steam thread or something if you want an opinion

BEATEN: Lost Legends: The Weeping Woman - Grade: Hidden Object Game
BEATEN: Mother Russia Bleeds - Grade: Decent
BEATEN: Rochard - Grade: Decent
BEATEN: Small Radios Big Televisions - Grade: Decent
BEATEN: Princess Remedy in a Heap of Trouble - Grade: Great
BEATEN: Quantum Conundrum - Grade: Decent
BEATEN: Tengami - Grade: Just Okay
BEATEN: OneShot - Grade: Good
BEATEN: Stories Untold - Grade: Decent (if not for the bugs, it'd be Good)
BEATEN: Submerged - Grade: Decent
BEATEN: The Magic Circle - Grade: Good
BEATEN: Maize - Grade: Eh
BEATEN: Kero Blaster - Grade: Good
BEATEN: Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal - Grade: Good
BEATEN: Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth - Grade: Decent

UP NEXT: Unbox: Newbie's Adventure, Dead Space 3, Crysis 2, SEUM: Speedrunners from Hell, Red Faction: Guerilla, Mainlining, Monochroma, Pang Adventures, Pharaoh Rebirth+, Headlander

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

I've beaten so many games since the last update that I can't really do synopses of them, just ask me sometime in the Steam thread or something if you want an opinion

BEATEN: OneShot - Grade: Good
BEATEN: Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal - Grade: Good

I'd be interested in your thoughts on these two games!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on these two games!
Since this is the "games beaten" thread, be aware there are spoilers here: With OneShot I was given Undertale comparisons going in, and there are a couple of similarities, but for the most part it's its own thing. It's much more obviously a game made in RPG Maker, for starters, although there is no combat but instead of puzzles, some of which involve passcodes, some of which involve using inventory items. The hook of the game is its meta nature, the game addresses you by your name (which it deduces through some method, it guessed mine correctly) and you basically are the god of their world. The main character talks to you a lot, looks to you for guidance at times. You save the game by sleeping in a bed, which closes the game. When you re-open the game, you'll often see what the main character is dreaming about. Sometimes a mysterious character talks to you through error messages. You might need to search your computer for a file sometimes. That's the kind of experience you can look forward to, which I'm all about.

Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal takes the "diner dash" style of time management and puts it in a hospital. It's a casual game but it is very hectic! As patients filter in, you send them to various stations where they will then need further aid, sometimes in the form of bringing an item to them, sometimes in the form of a Warioware-style microgame (bear in mind when I say that, each one is introduced one at a time across various levels so it's not like an actual WarioWare experience of bombarding you with random stuff). The challenge is in getting three stars on each level, which will involve chaining a lot of outpatients at the exit line, but if patients don't have a gold heart (ie perfect treatment) their lifebar will slowly drop, even if they're in the exit line. And any time a patient is not being directed or helped and is just sitting around, their health bar begins to dip. So the challenge, then, is in managing your time effectively, since your character walks around on screen from area to area, and every step can matter if multiple patients are dipping.

What separates Hearts Medicine from the usual casual fare is that it throws its effort into dorky but ernest storytelling. Every level has a cutscene that furthers the plot, and it's every much the type of story you'd see in a medical drama: romance at work, sad backstories, a life on the brink with a miraculous last-second diagnosis, all that stuff. Again it's dorky but it gives the game a fun trapping to it that makes you want to keep playing despite the fact that the general gameplay loop never really changes (but rather increases in complexity over the course of each ward). From my understanding, the developer takes the same approach with their other series, like Delicious which is about food and Fabulous which is about fashion.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thank you!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Finished: Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink & Dark Parables: Rise if the Snow Queen
Standard Hidden Object games.

Finished: Under Leaves
Beautiful and relaxing Hidden Object game, though a bit short, in that it takes about an hour to complete it.
Probably not for the color blinds out there, but I'm only guessing here.

Finished: Weather Lord: Royal Holidays
Time/Resource Management game in the vein of 12 Labours of Hercules.

Finished: LEGO City Undercover
I'm a sucker for open world collectathons like GTA, Assasin's Creed etc., and this basically LEGO's version of those games.
15 story missions, lots and lots of stuff to find, a brand new setting using classic LEGO figures and models, new abilities gradually opening up throughout the game, a huge world to explore, and plenty of slapstick comedy and dad jokes.

The game apparently had some launch problems, but I only noticed that through a few crashes throughout my playthrough. Never played two player local, so I can't comment if there are issues in that mode.

It's the first LEGO game I have ever completed 100% and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Edit:
Nulled: Broforce
It was fun as long as it lasted.
I enjoyed playing a lot of the bros, but there were equally as many that was just plain annoying to play, and each time I got one of the annoying ones, like dynamite McGyver, or the pure melee, like Blade or Neo, I knew I would die.
For some, this is probably part of the challenge: to be able to beat a game even against lovely odds. For me it's close to become a chore, where the enjoyment of progression is suddenly lost, and you feel like you are stuck, repeating the same level over and over again.
I liked the feeling when you could work on a level for half an hour and suddenly you had one of those runs, where everything clicks.
But it always felt more like pure luck when that happened, and now it's time to uninstall and say thanks for the 12 hours, half of the regular levels and a few challenges, but I know I won't get any more enjoyment out of it.

Edit 2:
Nulled: Dex
poo poo, I might as well throw this on the null pile as well.
I really enjoyed playing this 2D open world cyberpunk RPG, but somewhere just before the summer sale of 2015, I got distracted by something else, and I haven't touched it since.
I know the game has gotten plenty of updates, added stuff like achievements, cards etc. but I really haven't felt like starting up all over again.
So off you go as well.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 24, 2017

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
The great part of having a summer vacation is plenty of time to play games.
The not so great thing is, when you can't decide what to play, and suddenly end up going through the bundle crap.

Nulled: Kick-rear end 2
A really bad port of a bad movie tie-in.
It's a straight up brawler with 6 special combos, awful voice acting, sluggish movement with a Borderland gfx style and just plain boring.

Nulled: Kill All Melons
Hard (for me at least) pixel platformer.

Nulled: Kill The Bad Guy
A somewhat amusing hitman/assassin puzzle game, where you have to use the environment to kill a target, who moves on a set path.
You can redirect the target by placing obstacles, just don't make it to obvious or he will run away.
I killed the target by sabotaging a car twice (ran into him, using a ramp to land the car on him), a wrecking ball, a dropped piano and electrocuting him.

Nulled: Kill The Plumber
A reverse-Mario in that you are the bad guys and need to kill the jumping plumber by luring him into taking a step/jump in the wrong direction.

Nulled: Kimulator: Fight for your destiny
After the games from Digital Homicide, this must be a candidate for worst "game" on Steam.
Game engine demo levels mixed with live action 4th grade acting levels, in the hope of creating an ironic game that would make Youtube/Twitch broadcasters generate buzz to sell this item.

Nulled: Kinetic Void
One of my first Kickstarters. Made by a goon, that had some kind of melt down when people started criticizing the game.
It's a space sandbox thing, and I have no idea why I supported it, as it's not my genre at all.

Nulled: Kivi, Toilet and Shotgun
Top down shooter, driving a car in the apocalyptic wasteland, killing dudes in leather jackets and buying upgrades. Also really bad.

Nulled: Krog Wars
A Digital Homicide game, this time copying Space Invaders.

Nulled: Massive Cleavage vs. Zombies: Awesome Edition
Babbys first game, with added all-time classics such as quick time events and zombies.
Go watch Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! for better cleavage.

Nulled: Resident Evil 6 / Biohazard 6
Kragger and I were supposed to play this in coop, but I couldn't even get past the tutorial before rage quitting.
What is it with Japanese games and lovely "story telling" and "cinematic experience" where you can't even skip the awful cut scenes and go straight to the game?

Nulled: Spirit Run - Fire vs. Ice
An endless platformer/runner, in the vein of Bit.Trip Runner, only more 8-bit and not so polished.

Finished: Sniper Elite 4 Co-op missions.
So I finished the SP a while ago, and really enjoyed it.
The last part of the co-op DLC mission was released last week, and Kragger and I went through it, shooting Nazis in the balls, and feeling pretty good about it.
We then took on the two Overwatch missions yesterday, where one is the spotter and one is the sniper. Would have loved to have more missions available, but it seems like this is it.
Really good stuff!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fart of Presto posted:

Nulled: Resident Evil 6 / Biohazard 6
Kragger and I were supposed to play this in coop, but I couldn't even get past the tutorial before rage quitting.
What is it with Japanese games and lovely "story telling" and "cinematic experience" where you can't even skip the awful cut scenes and go straight to the game?

I agree that the campaign mode is garbage, but you should try the Mercenaries mode before you hang it up. It's a LOT of fun, especially on No Mercy mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed - Yoshi's Woolly World: A solid successor to Yoshi's Island. I was a huge fan of the cute graphics, and you don't have to deal with a screaming baby Mario ever. A little on the easy side, but some of the special levels are very challenging - especially if you're trying to collect everything. A great experience overall. And if you have young kids, the easy mode makes it great for them to play, too.