Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaal posted:

Actually it would not, there's no constitutional mandate for lifetime appointments at all.

They "shall" hold their offices "during good behavior." There is no other explanation for that clause besides "lifetime appointments, except for impeachment."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. It's a one way ratchet but the only recourse is to exercise political power wherever and whenever you can.

Well the parties could also just shrink the size of the court and boot justices they don't like. That also would only take a majority in both houses.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I agree, especially after the stolen Scalia seat. I'm just not very confident that voters will agree.

It's not voters you have to convince, it's old senators who haven't fully accepted that the Senate of the 1970s is gone.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
https://mobile.twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/879341731493400580

This response made me chuckle.

https://mobile.twitter.com/matthewgruhn/status/879342050705014784

https://mobile.twitter.com/matthewgruhn/status/879342629279813632

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

There is nothing inherently wrong with lifetime appointments to the supreme Court. The idea is that once appointed you are no longer beholden to party or politic and can focus solely on law.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah big, fat nothing burger.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Kaal posted:

Well the parties could also just shrink the size of the court and boot justices they don't like. That also would only take a majority in both houses.

It would require impeachment of the sitting justices.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

That man doesn't know anything.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

There is nothing inherently wrong with lifetime appointments to the supreme Court. The idea is that once appointed you are no longer beholden to party or politic and can focus solely on law.

So hopefully Gorsuch realizes God is a lie, conservatism has failed, and starts applying the law utilizing a present day interpretation based on logic.

right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaal posted:

Likewise unconstitutional. I believe every court shrink that occurred in history simply provided that the next vacacy that opened would not be filled. No court shrink has ever proposed that certain justices would be eliminated.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

That man doesn't know anything.

His lack of knowledge is infinitely more interesting than anything you post in this thread.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

It's not voters you have to convince, it's old senators who haven't fully accepted that the Senate of the 1970s is gone.

Pretty sure they all realize that by now.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

evilweasel posted:

They "shall" hold their offices "during good behavior." There is no other explanation for that clause besides "lifetime appointments, except for impeachment."

Teddybear posted:

I'd argue holding for good behavior necessarily implies lifetime appointments.

That constitutional mandate also applies to all inferior courts, and yet the "lifetime appointment" interpretation only is applied to the Supreme Court. We change and limit the terms of the vast majority of our judges. It's clearly a misinterpretation that could be easily rectified - either by narrowly recognizing that the line is discussing Good Behavior as grounds for impeachment, or by prima facie interpretation that Good Behavior means holding office for 10 years. Either way, there is no bright line there that a determined congress would have to cross.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FlamingLiberal posted:

If FDR, who was insanely popular and had a supermajority in Congress couldn't get away with court packing, I don't think anyone can

Counterpoint: nothing loving matters

FDR couldn't have been elected with a history of rape and fraud, either, but Trump did

The only thing that matters is winning. Win once and lock in future wins.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

SCOTUS will hear the travel ban case.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

lmao

eventually a bomb will drop, at some point, regarding something

can you guys follow me on twitter I can make this prediction too

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Kaal posted:

That constitutional mandate also applies to all inferior courts, and yet the "lifetime appointment" interpretation only is applied to the Supreme Court. We change and limit the terms of the vast majority of our judges. It's clearly a misinterpretation that could be easily rectified - either by narrowly recognizing that the line is discussing Good Behavior as grounds for impeachment, or by prima facie interpretation that Good Behavior means holding office for 10 years. Either way, there is no bright line there that a determined congress would have to cross.

... no, no we don't. I think you might be confusing state and federal judges?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaal posted:

It applies to lower courts too. Literally the only federal "judges" who it doesn't apply to are bankruptcy judges, who (as a necessary constitutional result) have limited jurisdiction and for non-core bankruptcy matters are officially just an advisor to the district court who is making the actual decision, or magistrate judges who are purely official "advisors" to the district courts and handle matters the district judge doesn't feel like handling but likewise can't actually enter a final order on anything.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 26, 2017

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Every judge appointed by the president and confirmed by the senate is a lifetime appointment.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Also, we know lifetime appointments were intended from the Federalist Papers and the notes from the Constitutional Convention.

And no federal judge is ever going to rule against his own lifetime appointment.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

OctaMurk posted:

lmao

eventually a bomb will drop, at some point, regarding something

can you guys follow me on twitter I can make this prediction too

his story got torpedoed, lol

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Teddybear posted:

It would require impeachment of the sitting justices.

evilweasel posted:

Likewise unconstitutional. I believe every court shrink that occurred in history simply provided that the next vacacy that opened would not be filled. No court shrink has ever proposed that certain justices would be eliminated.

Actually it also would be constitutional. There's nothing barring it at all. The judges hold their Offices - but without an Office they have no grounds to stand on for Continuance. This is an issue that has come up many times in the inferior courts. The reality here is that while we think of the SCOTUS as having a firm constitutional role and grounding, the reality is that most of our rules for it are based entirely on precedent that could be easily changed (and often has been in the past).

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

SCOTUS has also limited travel ban injunction to only cover those who have a "bona fide" connection to the US.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I read that completely differently. He's hinting his story is about collusion, doesn't involve Comey, and is coming soon.

Wittes IS the guy Comey told about all his meetings with Trump with "don't tell anyone as long as I'm director" which as soon as he was fired Wittes started to let people know. He's not some rando.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Every single one of these dumbfuck twitterati who try to coyly tease big stories need to get their teeth bashed in.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaal posted:

Actually it also would be constitutional. There's nothing barring it at all. The judges hold their Offices - but without an Office they have no grounds to stand on for Continuance. This is an issue that has come up many times in the inferior courts. The reality here is that while we think of the SCOTUS as having a firm constitutional role and grounding, the reality is that most of our rules for it are based entirely on precedent that could be easily changed (and often has been in the past).

I agree with Teddybear, I'm pretty sure you're confusing federal judges and state judges.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Teddybear posted:

SCOTUS has also limited travel ban injunction to only cover those who have a "bona fide" connection to the US.

What's that mean in stupid person talk?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Teddybear posted:

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/statuses/879346316618461184
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/879347048654483456
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/879344271849132033

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 26, 2017

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Mustached Demon posted:

What's that mean in stupid person talk?

It means that the ban is in place for now unless the person in question had a legitimate and significant connection to the US through family or some other avenue. If you're just showing up from a ban country, it appears that you can be blocked now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Teddybear posted:

This sounds extremely ominous. Didn't the original ban have a specific time period that's already passed?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

business hammocks posted:

This sounds extremely ominous. Didn't the original ban have a specific time period that's already passed?

The court ordered the parties to brief the question of if it already became moot because of that. I keep looking for the actual orders entered, haven't found them yet.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Teddybear posted:

It means that the ban is in place for now unless the person in question had a legitimate and significant connection to the US through family or some other avenue. If you're just showing up from a ban country, it appears that you can be blocked now.

Have they said anything on how this affects Green Card holders or people from third countries (example: my coworker needs to travel frequently to the US from work, and even though she's a born German, one of her parents is Iranian and per Iranian law, she has non-renouncable Iranian citizenship).

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

No Justice retirements announced. Thank gently caress.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fuuuuuuuuck

Kaal
May 22, 2002

evilweasel posted:

I agree with Teddybear, I'm pretty sure you're confusing federal judges and state judges.

Nope, there's plenty of federal judges who have limited tenures, they're just considered "Non-Article III judges". In addition to bankruptcy courts, there's also a variety of tax and claims courts, territorial courts, and military courts helmed by judges without lifetime appointments. And of course magistrate judges, if you want to consider them as well. Not to mention that judges can change Offices or be promoted out of them, despite the nominal "lifetime" duration. I understand that there's an orthodoxy here that considers lifetime appointments to be constitutionally based, but it really isn't. All it would take would be a determined congress to change it. It would go up to the SCOTUS for review of course, but so long as Congress made it clear that it was a political issue, then I think the Supreme Court have little choice but to acquiesce.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Here's the travel ban order: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-1436_l6hc.pdf

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Cool, so effectively we have a religious ban in the US. Neat-o.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Drone posted:

Have they said anything on how this affects Green Card holders or people from third countries (example: my coworker needs to travel frequently to the US from work, and even though she's a born German, one of her parents is Iranian and per Iranian law, she has non-renouncable Iranian citizenship).

Haven't read it, not sure-- I'd expect analysis in the next couple hours.

Kaal posted:

Nope, there's plenty of federal judges who have limited tenures, they're just considered "Non-Article III judges". In addition to bankruptcy courts, there's also a variety of tax and claims courts, territorial courts, and military courts helmed by judges without lifetime appointments. And of course magistrate judges, if you want to consider them as well. Not to mention that judges can change Offices or be promoted out of them, despite the nominal "lifetime" duration. I understand that there's an orthodoxy here that considers lifetime appointments to be constitutionally based, but it really isn't.

Yeah, we're all talking about article III judges here. The whole conversation has been article III judges.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

So hopefully Gorsuch realizes God is a lie, conservatism has failed, and starts applying the law utilizing a present day interpretation based on logic.

right?

Gorsuch never should have been appointed, unfortunately. The court has become increasingly viewed as political and gorsuch is purely on the court for political reasons rather than his ability as a judge.

We can tell by his insipid and terrible writing style that he doesn't belong there, so his opinions and his opinions make him a poor choice imo :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Grapplejack posted:

Gorsuch never should have been appointed, unfortunately. The court has become increasingly viewed as political and gorsuch is purely on the court for political reasons rather than his ability as a judge.

We can tell by his insipid and terrible writing style that he doesn't belong there, so his opinions and his opinions make him a poor choice imo :v:

Yeah but Turtle McFuckerson was pissy the democratic senators were obstructionists. :qq:

• Locked thread