Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

Can anyone give some very basic advice on downshifting in manual? I've never driven a car, and so I feel like a mess of arms and legs every time I approach a turn. Heel and toe is one thing, but it feels like I'm struggling with the very basics. Is there some kind of leg strategy I haven't mastered? Some basic order of actions I haven't realized?

Let off gas, clutch, shift, tiny amount of gas, un-clutch. You have to give it gas so that you don't lock up the wheels and skid out of control.

Heel and toe is a method to do this fast. They used to teach double clutching as a technique also.

This is for synchromesh transmissions. For dog box you don't need the clutch.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

to the goon that got his wheel working for Dirt2Daytona on dolphin..

If I pick wheel I don't get a massive dead-spot but now all of the sudden I can't push the gas even though the triggers are mapped and are showing fine in dolphin.. any advice?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

So this is awesome

https://twitter.com/AC_assettocorsa/status/878176623916437504

I'd be happy if any of the vote cars make it, and the confirmed list is good and cool

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

drat that is impressive. Voted Testarossa for obvious reasons.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jehde posted:

drat that is impressive. Voted Testarossa for obvious reasons.

Obviously.

On an unrelated note, is there an Outrun track conversion for AC? :D

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Black Griffon posted:

Can anyone give some very basic advice on downshifting in manual? I've never driven a car, and so I feel like a mess of arms and legs every time I approach a turn.
Every real car I drive is a manual and I kinda feel the same when driving sims. Maybe it's the small pedals of my G25 (or the fact they pivot from bottom instead of top), or it could be the flimsy feeling G25 shifter that feels to me like it needs to be treated really gently, or maybe it's just that I'm obviously missing certain senses compared to driving an actual car. In any case I usually either just drive sequential manual (paddles or shifter depending on car and how much steering lock I'll be using), or in some rare cases I just leave it in auto - sacrilege I know but I play games for fun at the end of the day.

I notice a few racing sims are on steam sale at the moment, I picked up Dirt Rally and already have AC, is it worth grabbing Project Cars at this point? I usually either hotlap or play local multiplayer (I have 2 G25s) but would like to play online multiplayer if I can get a sim that does it better than AC.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Voted 641. Awesome set of cars no matter which one wins, though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Fuzz1111 posted:

I notice a few racing sims are on steam sale at the moment, I picked up Dirt Rally and already have AC, is it worth grabbing Project Cars at this point? I usually either hotlap or play local multiplayer (I have 2 G25s) but would like to play online multiplayer if I can get a sim that does it better than AC.

Seems like most have given up on Project Cars at this point. AC is still hotlapping king, but all the goons have moved onto Automobilista for multiplayer, for reasons.

Dirt Rally is a pro pickup.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Jehde posted:

Yeah it's been on my wishlist for ages so was good to finally get it. I've just noticed AMS is 70% off too so might grab it.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Got myself an Oculus Rift mostly for racing simulators, and it is pretty amazing. Sure, the resolution is terrible and it can be hard to make out brake markers, but the feeling of immersion fully makes up for it. Going up and down the hills of Brands Hatch , Nordschleife, Spa, I often find myself giggling hysterically. 4K Oculus can't get here soon enough.

Eyud posted:

Voted 641. Awesome set of cars no matter which one wins, though.

Ditto. Surely one of the most beautiful F1 cars ever. Such simple lines.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Get automobilista and rfactor 2 instead.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Jehde posted:

Seems like most have given up on Project Cars at this point. AC is still hotlapping king, but all the goons have moved onto Automobilista for multiplayer, for reasons.

About the only good thing with pCARS is the career mode.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

PCars is a bad sim

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Going through the old oval part of Monza at 240-250 kph in a Maserati 250F in VR is utterly terrifying. How in the holy hell did anyone ever do that in real life?

Now to do it at 300+ in a Lotus 49...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Norns posted:

PCars is a bad sim

Yeah but they just paid me another 27 euro, so.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Steen71 posted:

Going through the old oval part of Monza at 240-250 kph in a Maserati 250F in VR is utterly terrifying. How in the holy hell did anyone ever do that in real life?

Now to do it at 300+ in a Lotus 49...

Soften your suspension with the lotus or have your eyeballs shaken out

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Right. I guess I'll have to raise the ride height too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm really considering getting an oculus rift for driving games but I'm not exactly keen on motion sickness and would really prefer to try it first before laying out hundreds of dollars. Maybe trackir is good enough.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Norns posted:

Soften your suspension with the lotus or have your eyeballs shaken out

You can lock the camera to the horizon in the view menu.

Even outside VR I use Real Head Motion to dampen the shaking, with the stiffer cars it's pretty ridiculous (and unrealistic anyway).

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Has anyone looked into doing a fresnel lens setup? Saw a tutorial for it somewhere, which I'm not turning up now, but here's an example:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2009/12/40-gets-you-pseudo-3d-on-the-psp-no-really/

Would be cheaper (and easier on the GPU) to use 3 4:3 monitors, and the lens allegedly adds a dimension of depth. Saw someone on a sim forum added a TrackIR to the system, too.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GhostDog posted:

You can lock the camera to the horizon in the view menu.

Even outside VR I use Real Head Motion to dampen the shaking, with the stiffer cars it's pretty ridiculous (and unrealistic anyway).

I'm not a fan of the horizon style cams

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
e: wrong thread I suck

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I had to lock my view to the horizon in Dirt Rally, it was the only way I could drive non-pavement tracks without getting nauseous.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Norns posted:

I'm not a fan of the horizon style cams

Yeah, I prefer a more active camera as well - even if it's not realistic I like that it feels more dynamic - but AC's implementation is garbage because there's no inertia/dampening on the camera so you get every little shake 1:1. Of course the horizon lock is implemented just as badly, with them using the world horizon instead of taking the current track horizon (i.e. taking track inclination into account), so going up Eau Rogue the driver suddenly feels the need to check if his feet are still there.

But check out Real Head Motion (on the official forums), it's very easy to set up and you can configure the camera more to your liking.

Edit:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/real-head-motion-1-0-2.4755/

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I'm really considering getting an oculus rift for driving games but I'm not exactly keen on motion sickness and would really prefer to try it first before laying out hundreds of dollars. Maybe trackir is good enough.

For what it's worth: I get horrible motion sickness in some games, like Lucky's Tale where I'm a floaty camera, or when I tried Doom 3 and started walking a bit. Urgh! But today I played Assetto Corsa for five hours without any problems. And that was including very hilly tracks like Nordschleife and Brands Hatch.

But I'd certainly recommend to try before buy. You might also find that the low resolution is unacceptable to you - in which case you'll have to wait for the next generation of VR, I guess.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Everyone come try at least a month of iRacing, it's discounted atm and I'm going to run a bunch of free content Gooncar events.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What settings do you Logitech Profiler guys have for Spring Effect Strength, Damper Effect Strength and Centering Spring Strength? I'm seeing some people online talking about setting them to zero, I haven't really figured out the difference myself.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

THE RELIANT ROBIN MOD FOR AC FINALLY GOT UPDATED. Not much but it works with current AC now at last.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

my heel and toe experiments are working as expected

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

my heel and toe experiments are working as expected

Not heel and toe-ing good enough, the transmission is still in good shape

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yep your transmission should be hosed too!

Reminds me of just teaching myself stick with no knowledge of how to even drive a loving car.

Sim racing owns

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Slickdrac posted:

:confused: Sim versions of racing, setups are an absolute necessity though.

My gripe with setups is more that default setups are almost always god awful safe, slow, and tighter than a racing virgin's grip on a wheel, and there's no default loose and fast setup. I'm poo poo with setups besides adjusting the basics (gear/heat/height) without spending 2-4 hours dicking with sliders and staring at telemetry, even with guides I tend usually to just make things worse, I'd rather take a half decent setup that's harder to control and spend 20-30 minutes getting the handling and finding the marks.

Sometimes I have small sim racing get togethers at my house and some guys who used to race in lower formula come. If I have a new car pack or new sim or whatever one guy will just drive it for 3-4 laps then list out all these changes and the car will drive pretty beautifully afterwards, it makes me sick to my stomach. Like telemetry helps for honing in on tenths of a second but base setups is some old greybeard wizend poo poo.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Speaking of setup, and since I haven't touched the game in ages (too much other sim stuff cluttering the desk to be arsed with swapping it all out) — does AC even offer a decent way to set things up in-game yet, or do you still have to break out Notepad and/or some third-party mod?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I went back to triples after testing a rift, it's just not there imo the resolution needs to be better.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I don't have room for triples but if the low res is really noticeable that would get to me. I'm used to playing on a 25" 1440p monitor pulled basically right to the back of my wheel base with a calculated fov of 49 degrees.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

GutBomb posted:

I don't have room for triples but if the low res is really noticeable that would get to me.

The res is very noticeable. If you want to buy it only as an accessory for sim racing better wait for next gen, at the very least see that you can try before you buy. I love it, but it's really only worth it if you're happy trying out all kinds of experiences and that means room-scale and touch controllers are absolutely required.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ this.

VR is more for the roomscale experience and immersion where you are dropped into a world... If you buy it solely for driving Sims I don't think it's worth it.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Try it if you get a chance. The resolution being good enough is a YMMV thing. I use my Rift almost solely for sims. I even have the touch controllers, but the only use they get is the occasional game of Keep Talking and No One Explodes. At this point I won't even buy a sim that doesn't have VR support.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Best thing you can do is go to Best buy plop down $600 and try it for a week or two. If you are low on high speed USB ports a USB hub from Amazon before you walk into Best buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
On the flip side you have me I guess.
I never play racing sims / games unless I am in VR now and haven't for ages. They need better res and FoV but the pay off is still more than worth it for me. iRacing in VR is just the absolute best to me, I can't even really explain how cool I find it. I've had VR since the kickstarter days so I am not wide eyed and amazed any more, but it just feels right.
I find the low res / fov acceptable and better than looking at flat rectangles a couple of feet away from my face. Looking through corners, glancing to my side to check where others are, looking through an apex and following the line. All that stuff feels more natural to me.