Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cheese-cube posted:

You buy electricity you dinguses. Unless you live with your parents then they are going to be annoyed that you're increasing the power bill whilst squirreling away fantasy currency which has an effective value equivalent to one tenth of the cost of the power bill.

And nice hash even gives you a profitability calculator, showing that it's the other way around. I think it's even linked in the OP.

You might want the GBS thread my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

cheese-cube posted:

So if I understand this right ya'll have expended a not-insignificant amount of time to earn less in a week than you'd usually get for an hour of work at min wage?

Maybe 15-20 minutes total? And I usually spend some time every week futzing around with my computer.

Installing nicehash takes like 5 minutes, maybe another 5 getting an account on coinbase, and I screwed around with GPU settings for a while. That's really about it. Nicehash is literally a "START" and "STOP" button.

Like, I understand you have this weird rage about people running a GPU and taking advantage of people willing to spend money buying funny money, but for most people here there was very little cost and very little effort.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

cheese-cube posted:

You buy electricity you dinguses. Unless you live with your parents then they are going to be annoyed that you're increasing the power bill whilst squirreling away fantasy currency which has an effective value equivalent to one tenth of the cost of the power bill.

I can't tell if your just dense or trolling.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

craig588 posted:

I spend thousands of dollars a year through Amazon.

:pwn:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

xthetenth posted:

You buy electricity in direct proportion to the money you extract from libertarian fantasies, as you extract the money. You then turn it into gift cards or similar that has actual value greater than the electricity you paid for. At this point it isn't, so you've stopped, and you've got a bit of burrito or etailer money.

For me personally it's more of a nerdy interest, so spending a few hours reading about all these crazy ideas is entertainment.

Im torn about posts like yours dissuading others from looking into this, because on the one hand it's true you can gently caress yourself very easily if you believe in TO THE MOON. On the other hand, gently caress maybe I'd have some bitcoins right now.

I don't think my dumb 2012 self would've bought mining rigs but Who knows. I was flipping diablo 3 items at the time so this crypto stuff should've been right up my alley. I made some profit from selling amulets and poo poo, so virtual money turning into real money wasn't weird to me , it was fun.

As long as you don't put your inheritance in this, I really don't see the harm, just check you're coming out ahead.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You can buy lots of household things on Amazon now, he is the reason retail is dying

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe he's the guy who bought the 44 1060s at 1.5x MSRP and is now pissed because he thinks all you fairweather miners are ruining the payouts.

I still can't believe that guy bought 44 1060s *now*, signed a lease for 2 warehouses with a 3rd on the way, and he paid above MSRP to boot.

Where do they make these people?

Edit: Actually, I think I'm confusing 2 different people who bought insane amounts of cards this late in the game, but they're probably twins separated at birth, so... confusion understandable.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 26, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Maybe he's the guy who bought the 44 1060s at 1.5x MSRP and is now pissed because he thinks all you fairweather miners are ruining the payouts.

I still can't believe that guy bought 44 1060s *now*, signed a lease for 2 warehouses with a 3rd on the way, and he paid above MSRP to boot.

Where do they make these people?

California

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

For me personally it's more of a nerdy interest, so spending a few hours reading about all these crazy ideas is entertainment.

Im torn about posts like yours dissuading others from looking into this, because on the one hand it's true you can gently caress yourself very easily if you believe in TO THE MOON. On the other hand, gently caress maybe I'd have some bitcoins right now.

I don't think my dumb 2012 self would've bought mining rigs but Who knows. I was flipping diablo 3 items at the time so this crypto stuff should've been right up my alley. I made some profit from selling amulets and poo poo, so virtual money turning into real money wasn't weird to me , it was fun.

As long as you don't put your inheritance in this, I really don't see the harm, just check you're coming out ahead.

Honestly if you aren't putting money in with the expectation of getting it and more back, then whatever. You have your fun and you do you.

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can buy lots of household things on Amazon now, he is the reason retail is dying

Millenials!!!!

Is that actually the case, because that's even funnier given power prices.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

xthetenth posted:

Is that actually the case, because that's even funnier given power prices.

Nah, just making a joke about crazies. I almost put Florida instead.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PerrineClostermann posted:

Nah, just making a joke about crazies. I almost put Florida instead.

Yeah, i think that dude was in the North East somewhere (NY?) but I might be making that up.

I've made enough for buttcoins to buy me Hollow Knight and the ceremonial lunch after electricity costs, which is hilarious. I'm still like $2/day profitable, but I'm already losing interest. Considering the weird entertainment I got out of this whole bubble and cryptocurrency dumbasses, and that I spent literally zero dollars and like 10 minutes to get everything set up, I can say i thoroughly enjoyed this.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

B-Mac posted:

I can't tell if your just dense or trolling.

First one, then the other, but now the first one. Yeah, I'm dense for questioning the infinitesimally small ROI for an activity that has a non-zero startup cost for investing effort in something that follows the law of diminishing returns and will inevitably (And rapidly) end up with negative returns.

Also the end product is a currency that may as well be worthless. And at some point you'll either be scammed and/or robbed because that literally comes with the territory.

I don't care if you have fun whilst doing all of that, just don't pretend that you're not pissing in the wind.

Edit:

PerrineClostermann posted:

You might want the GBS thread my friend

:lol:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I "made" $9.87 over the past two days and I'm done now. I'm gonna go mow the lawn for the old lady who lives across the street and she'll pay me $20 and give me a coke to drink while I do it so that's pure profit.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Is there a good explainer about what the role of miners will be in Proof-of-stake systems? How much will the computing needed drop?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

TomR posted:

I "made" $9.87 over the past two days and I'm done now. I'm gonna go mow the lawn for the old lady who lives across the street and she'll pay me $20 and give me a coke to drink while I do it so that's pure profit.

What!

Buy 80 lawnmower! Hire 200 people! Now mow mow mow! To the moooooon!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Proof of Coca-Cola system, just pour the Coke onto the yard, person who can kick the empty bottle the farthest gets the entire $4,000 for that day

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Actually seriously I just read this thread for laughs, I never got going. Hopefully my 290 still has value because of this idiocy, my 1080 Ti is here. Go in peace sweet prince, you were a far better graphics card than I could've expected.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheese-cube posted:

First one, then the other, but now the first one. Yeah, I'm dense for questioning the infinitesimally small ROI for an activity that has a non-zero startup cost for investing effort in something that follows the law of diminishing returns and will inevitably (And rapidly) end up with negative returns.

Also the end product is a currency that may as well be worthless. And at some point you'll either be scammed and/or robbed because that literally comes with the territory.

It's all covered in the OP. Don't buy hardware, check if it's profitable, convert to something you can use as soon as possible.

I think a lot of people would doubt that Amazon credit is worthless or a scam. Doesn't really matter now, for most people it's not profitable anymore. but if it was last week you'd be giving up free money (or not if you never use Amazon?).

I'll definitely be running my computer 24/7 again if I can get 50 dollars a week from it again though. It seems crazy to not want free money.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

xthetenth posted:

Actually seriously I just read this thread for laughs, I never got going. Hopefully my 290 still has value because of this idiocy, my 1080 Ti is here. Go in peace sweet prince, you were a far better graphics card than I could've expected.

Oh yes sell sell sell sell. Pretty sure $250 is easy for a 290 right now

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

cheese-cube posted:

Yeah, I'm dense for questioning the infinitesimally small ROI for an activity that has a non-zero startup cost for investing effort in something that follows the law of diminishing returns and will inevitably (And rapidly) end up with negative returns.

Eh $100/month per video card after power is really not bad at all for pretty much zero effort. And you are only going to get scammed or robbed if you are an idiot. I don't even get how its possible if you keep your coins in your wallet and convert to BTC and sell through coinbase. But what do I know, I am obviously an idiot for mining.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

craig588 posted:

It's all covered in the OP. Don't buy hardware, check if it's profitable, convert to something you can use as soon as possible.

I think a lot of people would doubt that Amazon credit is worthless or a scam. Doesn't really matter now, for most people it's not profitable anymore. but if it was last week you'd be giving up free money (or not if you never use Amazon?).

I'll definitely be running my computer 24/7 again if I can get 50 dollars a week from it again though. It seems crazy to not want free money.

Seriously the only downside to this is that you're propping up libertarian idiots and out of touch nerds' dreams. But they're paying money for negligible time investment, so who cares what they think.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

cheese-cube posted:

I don't care if you have fun whilst doing all of that, just don't pretend that you're not pissing in the wind.

Edit:

You seem to be under the impression that people are buying $2000.06 card rigs to do this. Most of the people are using hardware that they already bought for other purposes. They are just dicking around for fun and to make a few dollars. You are also presuming that people are holding on to the bit coins they receive. I think the vast majority of people here sell what they earn every week.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

No one in this thread is making anything beyond a fuckin pittance. Good job ya'll.

Edit: forgot to mention deprecation of hardware which no one seems to be accounting for, an oversight that's exacerbated by running your poo poo to within an inch of it's life for its life. That drops you to the bottom of those MTBF curves manufacturers release.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 26, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

cheese-cube posted:

No one in this thread is making anything beyond a fuckin pittance. Good job ya'll.

I made $25 over the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

You seem really bothered by people making $5 a day in free money. Maybe you should try giving cryptocoin mining a shot.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

It's not free. People just see promises of free money and leave their reasoning at the door.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You've spent more time furiously posting dumb things in this thread than it took me to setup a thing that made me some money while I was sleeping, that I already spent.

You really should take a look at your reasoning tbh.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

cheese-cube posted:

It's not free. People just see promises of free money and leave their reasoning at the door.

dude poo poo I always leave that at the door what am I missing

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

My card has paid for itself and it generates more money then it uses each month for power. At that point, how is it not generating free money that I would otherwise not have?

Also the only reason people are making fun of others for building these giant mining rigs is because of how late they are to the party, not because the act of mining itself is dumb. The people who spent thousands on a mining rig a year and a half ago absolutely made a crapton of money, more then enough to cover any hardware failures as well as making a really great profit. Like any of the people who got into monero, zcash, or ethereum early made a killing.

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 26, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

cheese-cube posted:

Please justify your posting in this thread while taking into account opportunity cost and electricity/hardware depreciation of the machine you are posting with.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

What!

Buy 80 lawnmower! Hire 200 people! Now mow mow mow! To the moooooon!

rjmccall posted:

look, it's simple. you have a Happy Burger brand fast food establishment, and sometimes kids come in and want their Happy Burger brand Happy Kiddy Burger, which according to the Happy Burger brand franchise operating instructions is supposed to be 4oz of usda utility grade hamburger lightly grilled and pressed into a poppy seed bun with two slices of mild pickle and a slice of tomato and a piece of iceberg lettuce and the name of the kid written on the top in half an ounce of Happy Burger brand special sauce about which the less said the better

so naturally what you do is, you post an ad saying, cooks wanted, please bring your own grill and meat and bun and pickle and tomato and lettuce, we'll supply the sauce

and you get an applicant, and you send him down to the Hall of Cooks, which is a featureless infinite plane that you keep in the unlit basement of your Happy Burger brand fast food establishment. and you tell him to just keep making burgers and handing them up, and if he hands up a burger that satisfies your standards, you'll pay him a bonus, which is $100,000, plus the price of the burger, which is $.50

now the cook can't see too good down there, and he keeps handing up burgers that are more like pickly meatballs with a swastika painted on the side in tomato sauce, but as long as the meat's cooked the health department won't shut you down, so you keep taking them and dutifully handing down briefcases of cash with a few quarters tossed in. and the cook's pretty happy, even after you summarily declare one day that you're only going to pay $50,000 per burger in the future

so the cook calls in a friend, and she sets up in the Hall of Cooks and starts handing up burgers, and now you're getting acceptable burgers faster than you can sell them. so you raise your standards a bit, and you insist that burgers have to be on a bun, and that cuts production back down to a manageable rate. but the cooks are still pretty happy, even after you cut the burger bonus again to $25,000

this goes on for a while, and now you've got a hundred cooks down there, and you've started demanding that they spell out the kid's name correctly, and that's not easy. so now they're not just making burgers to your increasingly exact specifications, they're racing each other to be the first to get the kid's name right. but you're still paying $5,000 a burger, and apparently the cooks are still happy, because more and more keep showing up

you get curious one day while you're squeezing into your franchise past the giant mountain of rotting discarded hamburgers, and you head down to the Hall of Cooks. the last time you came down here, there were only six cooks, and they were just standing around in a disorganized circle; but now they're organized into these large groups. in one of them, you find your first cook, and he shakes your hand. "remember when we'd just started out and i was lumping up store meat by hand and cooking it on that tiny old george foreman?", he laughs. "that was before figured out cookie cutters and rolling pins." he's standing at a huge professional-grade charbroiler with twenty-four different patties arranged on it; suddenly, in a single efficient flash of movement, he flips them all over. of course, the dull glow of the grill isn't enough in the utter blackness of the Hall, and most of the patties end up on the ground, which you suddenly realize is a lot spongier than it's supposed to be. also, doesn't the ceiling seem lower? you shake it off and head back upstairs to start taking orders, wondering when it'll be the right time to cut the bonus to $1,000

it's been another year. there are tens of thousands of cooks in your basement. you're rejecting burgers for sloppy handwriting. you're rejecting burgers for having too thick a slice of tomato. you're rejecting burgers for excessively clustered poppy seeds. seven months ago, the cooks started building floor-to-ceiling ovens with internal robotics custom-designed for making Happy Kiddy Burgers; now there are whole fields of them, each making ten thousand burgers a second. of course, it's still pitch-dark down there, and the cooks aren't exactly susan calvin, so almost all of those burgers get added straight to the end of the Great Greasy Mountains, but it's amazing how quick they come now. you overhear a few of the cooks talking excitedly about the orders they just placed for massive new ovens from Barbecue Labs. you don't know how any of them can afford this when the burger bonus is only $100

three months ago, you politely asked whether they could start making the adult Happy Burgers, too

for an entire day, all the burgers had your name written on top in poison

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Maybe cheese cube is hungry. Here, have a burrito I bought with crypto. It's a cryptorrito

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Stealthgerbil posted:

Also the only reason people are making fun of others for building these giant mining rigs is because of how late they are to the party, not because the act of mining itself is dumb. The people who spent thousands on a mining rig a year and a half ago absolutely made a crapton of money, more then enough to cover any hardware failures as well as making a really great profit. Like any of the people who got into monero, zcash, or ethereum early made a killing.

P
O
N
Z
I

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Who is running the ponzi scheme here? AMD?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

You've spent more time furiously posting dumb things in this thread than it took me to setup a thing that made me some money while I was sleeping, that I already spent.

You really should take a look at your reasoning tbh.

I should evaluate my reasoning that there's no such thing as a free lunch and that for the situation being discussed you'll get at most a Keurig pod of tartars sauce for an entire weeks worth of effort? Nope sounds solid to me. I'm not saying that you won't make "some" money but it will be gently caress all and eventually with difficulty increases you will end up making nothing.

Just gony requote myself:

cheese-cube posted:

For the record, I'm sitting at home drinking and posting on the internet because it's funny. If I was doing the same but with buttcoins I'd probably already be asleep.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

Please justify your posting in this thread while taking into account opportunity cost and electricity/hardware depreciation of the machine you are posting with.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Yes all of the effort we put in turning the crank to power our video cards. Like lol if you haven't scripted everything.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cheese-cube posted:

I should evaluate my reasoning that there's no such thing as a free lunch and that for the situation being discussed you'll get at most a Keurig pod of tartars sauce for an entire weeks worth of effort? Nope sounds solid to me. I'm not saying that you won't make "some" money but it will be gently caress all and eventually with difficulty increases you will end up making nothing.

A week's worth of the computer's effort isn't the same as a week's worth of your own personal effort.

cheese-cube posted:

Edit: forgot to mention deprecation of hardware which no one seems to be accounting for, an oversight that's exacerbated by running your poo poo to within an inch of it's life for its life. That drops you to the bottom of those MTBF curves manufacturers release.

The only meaningful depreciation of computer hardware is when the next generation comes out. Everything else pales in comparison. Especially if it's still working when you flip it, in which case who cares how it was?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

these dudes are mining theyre just annoyed we're f'ing up their hashes or however this dumb crap works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Your cherry-picking of my arguments does nothing to invalidate them. Also you can't kill me, I'm already dead.

• Locked thread