Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

google'd again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq6lMXGq61I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9F531J4XOw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

syscall girl posted:

As previously mentioned ITT google does not give a fraction of a gently caress about Pixel or Nexus sales

It doesn't even begin to get on their radar screens
Why even bother making these devices then.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are you asking me to defend this?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Textra is absolutely awesome! Thanks again.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
^^^ textra is great

Combat Pretzel posted:

My extremely limited understanding of goog's sw and hw platform mastery is that :thunk:

Okay so their phones are pilot programs for other companies to latch onto

That's really all I've grokked but they do not need pixel sales money and frankly may not want it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There is no point trying to understand Google as they are autistic and hosed. Glad to hear textra does what you need

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

XDA posted:

While the design remains “almost identical” to last year’s smaller Pixel, with similarly large bezels surrounding the display, 

Oh gently caress me :cripes:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

They better fix the lovely Bluetooth in the next rendition of the Pixel if they expect people to rely on it for headphones

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The Galaxy S8 has Bluetooth 5.0 which has twice the range a s 4.0, but no 5.0 headsets exist yet to take advantage of it...

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

The Galaxy S8 has Bluetooth 5.0 which has twice the range a s 4.0, but no 5.0 headsets exist yet to take advantage of it...

Android nougat also doesn't support Bluetooth 5.0 so it won't even matter until it gets O.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Zero VGS posted:

I don't care about range. I want a more solid connection when it's within 3 feet. Sometimes the connection gets fuzzy when my phone is in my backpack. I don't know why they keep harping on about it working from a block away when nobody loving uses bluetooth like that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Oh gently caress me :cripes:

Boohoo

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't care about range. I want a more solid connection when it's within 3 feet. Sometimes the connection gets fuzzy when my phone is in my backpack. I don't know why they keep harping on about it working from a block away when nobody loving uses bluetooth like that.

Yes, it cuts out for me in my pocket but that's all the phones I've had, not just Pixel.

The extended range, I assume, includes how much of your own fatbody it can penetrate.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Scroogled again :argh:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hello,

Which phone is great right now to buy? This is a very important decision and I want to know which phone works the best for having a good time, and also maybe the phone that I can have the most fun with. Thanks

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Hello,

Which phone is great right now to buy? This is a very important decision and I want to know which phone works the best for having a good time, and also maybe the phone that I can have the most fun with. Thanks

The Galaxy S8/Pixel on the high end and the Moto G5+ if you're on a budget.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Hello,

do you like ram

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, it cuts out for me in my pocket but that's all the phones I've had, not just Pixel.

The extended range, I assume, includes how much of your own fatbody it can penetrate.

Thats odd. Ive never had an issue like that myself. Im a pretty hefty guy and it seems to get through my fat just fine. Not to mention my headphones never lose connection from short distances. The only time ive lost the connection was through the brick wall while being about 25 feet away from my phone while i was working in my back yard and the phone being inside the house.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

My headset seems to work pretty well up to around 30 feet away and through a few walls. The build quality is still lovely, though. I've had two break in the exact same way in less than a year of use, where pressing the play/pause button too hard or just at a certain angle causes it to freak out and skip back/forward through tracks. Also, if that button is somehow sitting the wrong way, you can't turn the headset on or off, so you have to jiggle it to get it to work again. It sounds like build quality is a problem for most Bluetooth headsets, though.

Wireless headphones suck and are good. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

grimcreaper posted:

Thats odd. Ive never had an issue like that myself. Im a pretty hefty guy and it seems to get through my fat just fine. Not to mention my headphones never lose connection from short distances. The only time ive lost the connection was through the brick wall while being about 25 feet away from my phone while i was working in my back yard and the phone being inside the house.

In the city, Bluetooth headphones tend to be pretty flaky. Traffic lights, of all things, seem to cause interference

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Be sure to run out and get your OnePlus 5 ASAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91iyxSzmSAI

Touching OnePlus5 with just one finger causes the 5GHz WiFi to cut out completely

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

vyst posted:

Touching OnePlus5 with just one finger causes the 5GHz WiFi to cut out completely

you're holding it wrong

(you shouldn't be holding it at all!)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

vyst posted:

But you saved a hundred dollars!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

I'm surprised all the RAM doesn't prevent that

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fame Douglas posted:

In the city, Bluetooth headphones tend to be pretty flaky. Traffic lights, of all things, seem to cause interference

Hmm, for me it's always when I'm biking and have the leg with the phone in it propped up on the pedal at a red light... you might be on to something because it could be a combination of my body blocking it plus traffic lights.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

vyst posted:

The drat specs are too high for plebeian hands.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The official forum has a long thread about the issue. It's 90% aggravated users with the same problem, 10% OnePlus white knights, and 100% hilarious

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm, for me it's always when I'm biking and have the leg with the phone in it propped up on the pedal at a red light... you might be on to something because it could be a combination of my body blocking it plus traffic lights.

The lightboard sign recently installed at the end of my street consistently makes Google Play Music skip ahead when I pull up next to it. It's definitely true that environmental interference causes most Bluetooth problems.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hello,

If you do buy a Pixel, make sure to buy it through the Google Store. Don't be like me and not know this and buy a device that will boot loop in a year and the manufacturer and this thread laugh at you when you complain.

(this has not happened to me yet, but I bought my nexus 6p last black friday so i can only assume it will happen within the next six months)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I forget if I already posted this, but I know a few of you were having the same problem with that new Nova Launcher beta + companion app for swipe left for Google Now thing not working. It's definitely working flawlessly for me now after the latest updates (on Pixel XL), so I recommend trying it again!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I don't really care for Google now but I've been using Nova for a while

and Kustom

and Next lockscreen

So basically my phone works as a phone about 85% of the time but it looks sick as hell

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

vyst posted:

Is there a mirror? Can't believe the video is down already.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I don't really care for Google now but I've been using Nova for a while

and Kustom

and Next lockscreen

So basically my phone works as a phone about 85% of the time but it looks sick as hell

I already am a long time Nova fan but this Next lockscreen stuff looks kinda slick, thanks for mentioning it!!!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Mu Zeta posted:

I run into this problem on my street and have with multiple phones and headsets. I'm pretty sure it is because of the gazillion WiFi access points including the Spectrum ones hanging from the lines on the street that I doubt are with at least consumer spec given how far the signal travels.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Blue Train posted:

Yes, the backups will only show for the version of Android installed on the phone

If you clean flashed an 8.0.0 image you should see that backup

Yeah I figured, odd that my old m8 showed up though. Flashing to 7.1.1 got rid of the restarting problems I had with 7.1.2 may & June, and 8.0.0. Pixel is good again.

On another note, my brother and his friends got pixels totally free at Glastonbury, some promotion Google had where you could hand in your 5 year old iPhone and get one.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Goddamn Glasto really is the most bourgeois festival

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any sense using Android 8 beta on a daily driver at this stage?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

No

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I can't understand why you WOULDN'T want to beta-test an operating system on a primary computer / potentially literal lifeline! :downs:

Seriously, even if you're willing to tangle with software weirdness, running anything earlier in development than a release candidate on your phone is a recipe for Bad Times.

Especially when everything syncs back up to Google's (in this case) servers and the sync can be part of the beta-test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any sense using Android 8 beta on a daily driver at this stage?

I'm currently doing this but as stated above there is no sense in it.