Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Their wording is trash then (like mine *rimshot*) because quote

Is english their first language? posted:

So we switched out the 8K Dell panel for a pair of Acer 34-inch, wide-aspect 3440x1440 panels

Indicating substitution of a single 8K panel for 2 3440 panels. If it was a single 3440 panel per system it'd make more sense to drop the "a pair of" for "an".

Also, Doom, Prey and SE4, lmao. So not only are they picking resolution setups that historically favor AMD, but also then picking AMD favored titles.

This is a repeat of the Fury X vs 980ti all over again, maybe a little less worse, ohgodlmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

Hands-on: AMD's Radeon Vega Frontier Edition vs Nvidia Titan Xp

Sounds promising, but knowing AMD they probably fudged the demo setup somehow.

Vega FE and Titan Xp have the same perceived performance!*
* with vsync enabled and the display set to 60hz

Once again, AMD shows they have no idea what the gently caress they're doing with the market placement on this card. "It's a consumer card, but oh, no professional drivers, and please don't judge it by the gaming performance."

Also, the fact that AMD is still trying to hide the gaming performance when it launches literally tomorrow, is loving hilarious.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Once again, AMD shows they have no idea what the gently caress they're doing with the market placement on this card. "It's a consumer card, but oh, no professional drivers, and please don't judge it by the gaming performance."

Also, the fact that AMD is still trying to hide the gaming performance when it launches literally tomorrow, is loving hilarious.

According to the article Vega FE does have "pro-optimized" drivers, the catch is they won't get the hardware/driver combo certified by professional ISVs.

So you ostensibly get full performance in pro apps, but Autodesk and friends will tell you to gently caress off and buy a Quadro/RadeonWX if something doesn't work on your VegaFE.

I believe the Radeon Pro Duo (both Fiji and Polaris variants) uses the same pro-drivers-but-no-pro-support model.

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 26, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Hopefully they'll find a way to at least make them useful for cloud gaming or something.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I literally cannot remember the last time an AMD demo didn't give me butthurt. I mean I remember the good ol days existed but I no longer remember exactly when its been so long now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Fortunately for AMD this whole crypto bubble happened at exactly the right moment. Prices are up and stock is down across the board, which means a slightly less competitive environment for Vega to launch into.

On the other hand, if it pops in the next month, RX Vega is gonna launch into a market flooded with 1070s.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I slapped the heatsink portion of an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III on my 1080ti and shoved it right up against two 120mm case fans and it's now sitting pretty at like 72c under synthetic load at max overclock. Turns out there's a lot to be said for sheer fin area and/or copper mass. Somewhat amusingly it now dumps enough hot air right out of the case to make the case metal too hot to touch.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm still salty enough about the 970 lie that Morton's added iodine to me and is mining away and I've got a 1080 Ti in my case that I use on my freesync ultrawide most of the time rather than my XB271HU. Seriously, the ship's sailed on Vega, here's hoping they're competitive next time through with something like they've done in CPUs for threadripper. I could go for some more affordable high end cards.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Asus is really pushing hard into the miner cards segment, which should help with the people who just want to play something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Every time i see the phrase "fine wine" I now think of AMD inflating GPU benchmarks. I blame you, thread.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Craptacular! posted:

Asus is really pushing hard into the miner cards segment, which should help with the people who just want to play something.

This is really dumb of ASUS because that bubble is popping as we speak (check the Cryptomining thread) and by the time this ships it's gonna be too late.

Plus a lot of the new altcoinz are not even mined, because even these idiots have realized maybe wasting so much electricity to prove Joe sent .25 cents to bill in 2013 isn't very efficient, so they mostly want to move to Proof of stake algorithms.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Even if Vega really is between the 1080 and 1080ti in performance, and lets say it has the 1080's MSRP (which would severely nuke AMD's profits)... with Vega's TDP, i think I would still rather have a 1080. gently caress jet engine videocards.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

Their wording is trash then (like mine *rimshot*) because quote

Indicating substitution of a single 8K panel for 2 3440 panels. If it was a single 3440 panel per system it'd make more sense to drop the "a pair of" for "an".

Also, Doom, Prey and SE4, lmao. So not only are they picking resolution setups that historically favor AMD, but also then picking AMD favored titles.

This is a repeat of the Fury X vs 980ti all over again, maybe a little less worse, ohgodlmao.

I think you're parsing this too finely. They had one 8K panel to demo on, they had a pair of 3440 panels to demo on. Nobody would use dual-3440 for gaming, that's stupid and would put a bezel right in the middle of your crosshairs. That Dell 8K panel goes for a cool five grand, they probably didn't want to buy two of them.

The more interesting implication here was that they actually couldn't compare the results side-by-side on the 8K panel at the same time, which further diminishes the whole "performance was virtually the same between the two, I could Just Tell It!"

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 26, 2017

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think you're parsing this too finely. They had one 8K panel to demo on, they had a pair of 3440 panels to demo on. Nobody would use dual-3440 for gaming, that's stupid and would put a bezel right in the middle of your crosshairs. That Dell 8K panel goes for a cool five grand.

The more interesting implication here was that they actually couldn't compare the results side-by-side on the 8K panel at the same time, which further diminishes the whole "performance was virtually the same between the two, I could Just Tell It!"

I would also bet money that the previous "had v-sync on" (or similar fuckery) idea is actually true.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
gently caress you AMD, just give us some benchmarks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

B-Mac posted:

gently caress you AMD, just give us some benchmarks.

We don't need benchmarks, it "feels" the same as a Titan Xp.

AMD has the most feels per inch.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Watts per feel.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This is really dumb of ASUS because that bubble is popping as we speak (check the Cryptomining thread) and by the time this ships it's gonna be too late.

They're not looking to sell these to you, they're looking to sell them to the same kind of Chinese rig farms that pushed Bitcoin too far out of the realm of the normal person. The reason they don't have any video ports at all is because they're not supposed to be for your hobbyist user wanting to get into mining, you'll keep re-appropriating the gamer cards you're used to. When you decide to sell, you don't dismantle it into parts and try to eBay it to gamers as "used once", you sell the big crate of mobos and GPUs wired together to another mining farm.

This is a sizable enough market segment that simply getting them out of the scene would help at least a little in freeing up supply for consumers.
And ideally the rest of you fuckers just get put against a wall for the amount of electricity you're consuming.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
At this point I'm eager for the release just so we can get this over with. At this point I just want to see where it lands.

I'm increasingly looking at this whole Vega FE thing as not just a way to minimally satisfy their promises to shareholders/customers but also a way to avoid backlash due to the inevitable price cut. They have loudly trumpeted that RX Vega is going to be faster and cheaper in a month, but that's :airquote: "a different SKU" :airquote: so they won't be giving FE owners a 50% haircut over the course of a month.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Arivia posted:

Every time i see the phrase "fine wine" I now think of AMD inflating GPU benchmarks. I blame you, thread.

FineWine™ now means GPU appreciation rather than performance improvement.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zero VGS posted:

We don't need benchmarks, it "feels" the same as a Titan Xp.

AMD has the most feels per inch.

terrible wccft commenters were saying that their systems ran games 'smoother' with Ryzen, despite their lower FPS average and minimum

my warmer, artesinal, smoother FPS.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

FineWine™ now means GPU appreciation rather than performance improvement.

Okay so despite it being like second to last on important things about a GPU, I do appreciate the shroud design on the Vega FE. Looks really nice, IMO.

I'd never buy one, but there's some FineWine® for you.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Cygni posted:

terrible wccft commenters were saying that their systems ran games 'smoother' with Ryzen, despite their lower FPS average and minimum

my warmer, artesinal, smoother FPS.

Eh, I can give this one a pass in some instances as there were quite a few scenarios in which the extra L3 on the R5s helped with 1% framerates vs price comparable i5s and i3s. This could also be attributed to Ryzen just having more threads period and 4 cores/threads no longer being enough anyway.

Trying to say an R5/7 had better 1% lows to Broadwell-E 2011-V3 is a bit laughable though.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Dont know what the gently caress Ebay sellers are thinking listing their RX 580 for more than what Newegg is selling them or are they just slow to adjust their listings?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Green Gloves posted:

Dont know what the gently caress Ebay sellers are thinking listing their RX 580 for more than what Newegg is selling them or are they just slow to adjust their listings?

"We are thinking some people are really dumb." "Also, we are right to think that."

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Green Gloves posted:

Huh? I don't see any in stock anywhere.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx580/

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Arivia posted:

My understanding is that this refers to the hardware's potential being unlocked by driver improvements later in it's life. Both sides have inflated GPU benchmarks, but Radeon's driver coding team is so far behind the curve relative to their software that they only begin finding optimization and efficiency gains for the hardware after it's many months after release.

It's tongue in cheek called FineWine because it's a consumer-friendly concept in that you always eventually get more horsepower than you paid for, but it's theoretically bad for the industry because NVidia is always #1 at every launch window just because they have software that's as state of the art as the hardware is.

It's one thing to be Porsche to the other guy's Ferrari, but AMD is like a Ferrari that moves like a slow-motion Porsche because it takes their mechanic a year to realize that if he doesn't fill it with diesel the shuddering stops and the car doesn't spew black smoke.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I saw like three different rx 580 models momentarily in stock for $299.99 + $3.99 shipping on Newegg but I guess they went out of stock again.

I wasnt wrong Nowinstock lists several models last seen today.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 26, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I can't wait for navi, better yields and hopefully timely release date.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Green Gloves posted:

I saw like three different rx 580 models momentarily in stock for $299.99 + $3.99 shipping on Newegg but I guess they went out of stock again.

I wasnt wrong Nowinstock lists several models last seen today.

Right, but they can't keep them in stock, hence the markup on ebay. If you want to buy 10 580s to jump on that sweet sweet bubble and have them shipped to you ASAP you'll need to pay a premium.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

wargames posted:

If the gpu works like a multi die ryzen, it's gonna be a big deal.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Risky Bisquick posted:

If the gpu works like a multi die ryzen, it's gonna be a big deal.

With the higher ram speed of video memory it should be less of an issue then desktop ryzen hopefully.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Lockback posted:

Right, but they can't keep them in stock, hence the markup on ebay. If you want to buy 10 580s to jump on that sweet sweet bubble and have them shipped to you ASAP you'll need to pay a premium.

I havent been keeping track of availability to know how things are going honestly. I just happened to randomly stumble upon these and figured they were now readily available. Maybe I should have ordered one (I sold my r9 390x two weeks ago) they werent sold out instantly by any means.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wargames posted:

wait, vega hasnt even launched and were already waiting for navi?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Cygni posted:

lol based on what we've seen so far, thats a solid yes

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cygni posted:

Yeah, we need it to provide a real upgrade over the pascal we bought after waiting.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

:cool: Waiting for the 90 day window to get closer to closing let me step-up my 1080 FTW2 to the 1080 Ti SC Black Edition. I knew Founders Edition wouldn't be the only choice.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
So there's now a single RX 580 in stock for 171,792huf or $620... that's $300 extra over the launch price and I bet it'll be out of stock by 6am.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Measly Twerp posted:

So there's now a single RX 580 in stock for 171,792huf or $620... that's $300 extra over the launch price and I bet it'll be out of stock by 6am.

At less than $3/day before power costs now, it's just a quick hop, skip, and a...200+ day jump...to profitability!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DrDork posted:

At less than $3/day before power costs now, it's just a quick hop, skip, and a...200+ day jump...to profitability!

I think most miners are more concerned with how long (and how liberal) the free return period is on the trunkloads of GPUs they're buying. I'm just wondering if it'll get to a point where the retailers go "no mas" based on returned products and refuse to sell them anymore, forcing nVidia and AMD to sell directly or strategically partner with their AIB makers.