Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

lol, completely loving forseeable, they are interpreting the Scotus partial reinstatement as a near 100% reinstatement and are choosing to interpret the exception as only applying to a single case.

I meant it was weird that Trump's lawyers for his Russia-collusion investigation are giving statements about unrelated political victories to the media, it's a bizarre though perhaps unsurprising crossover into things outside their authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ashcans posted:

As soon as you actually get sick, your insurance company is going to have a 'missed payment', and lock you out of coverage for 6 months so you can die cheaply instead of living expensively on their dime.

I'm not sure that they will go through the effort to try and trick/defraud people into missed payments. They probably won't have to as I'm sure that there is a pretty high correlation between someone's medical expenses and how likely they are to miss a payment because they have no money due to missed work, copayments, and deductibles or simply because wing extremely ill gets in the way of keeping on top of your everyday responsibilities.

It is a near certainty though that these sorts of policies will be effectively selectively enforced to avoid kicking off profitable healthy people.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

It's irrelevant, as they have to score any revisions they made.

Yes, but I want to see numbers. I want to see "moderate" GOP senators unhappy with 23 million more uninsured but happily vote yes for revisions that take it down to "only" 22 million more uninsured, for example.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm not sure that they will go through the effort to try and trick/defraud people into missed payments. They probably won't have to as I'm sure that there is a pretty high correlation between someone's medical expenses and how likely they are to miss a payment because they have no money due to missed work, copayments, and deductibles or simply because wing extremely ill gets in the way of keeping on top of your everyday responsibilities.

It is a near certainty though that these sorts of policies will be effectively selectively enforced to avoid kicking off profitable healthy people.

An easy way is just provide no way to set up autopay and not allow early payment.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Quorum posted:

There's a reason the entire right wing media apparatus is pivoting from "no collusion, no collusion" to "you're the collusion," I suspect.

It went from "is Trump colluding with Russia" as a discussion point for Republicans in private from last year, to "you think Trump is colluding with Russia? That's a CRAZY, baseless conspiracy theoriest invented by the Democrats!"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Covok posted:

Man, calm down.

The minority voice on the SC just pulled a stunt to give their party a "win." They lifted the injuction, but upheld nothing. They didn't rule on anything. All they did was give their party something to celebrate for 24 hours to try and distract from the healthcare debate.

Is it horrible? Is it monstorous? Does it mean those justices should step down? Yes. But we shouldn't lose our heads over it.

why the gently caress is Covok telling people to calm down. Did I fall through a wormhole did Hillary win in this timeline

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Couldn't Trump issue a 24 hour ban every day? No one suing to stop would ever have standing by the time they got to a judge

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/879375637294841857

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/879378588608409600

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Earlier up thread there was some talk about state-based single payer.

You should listen to “The Weeds” if you don’t already, they had a whole episode talking about it. One of the biggest issues is that California, probably the best candidate for such a proposal since its economy is much larger than some countries with single payer, is dependent on a complicated web of federal money that probably can’t be relied upon if single payer were to pass. Because, as we know, republicans would actually be terrified of deferring to states rights if it meant supporting a democratic agenda.

The hypocrisy that republicans would block a state doing what it wants on healthcare, because it would probably be somewhat successful, makes me really sad. But that’s where we’re at.

Although overall I am proud of governor Brown and everything the pinkos in Sacramento have been trying to do to thumb their nose at Trump.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

1stGear posted:

why the gently caress is Covok telling people to calm down. Did I fall through a wormhole did Hillary win in this timeline

What? No. Hillary didn't even win the primary. That was Jeb, remember? Are you feeling alright?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

The party of Economic Anxiety, folks!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Man, any time anything remotely pro-Trump happens, you all lose your heads and doomsay. Have some perspective. The travel ban thing sucks, but it isn't over yet. If you're angry, form a protest group and clog your local airport.

The LGBT sucks a lot, I won't lie. As a bi man, I know how much that will ruin lives. The only solution there is angry protest.

The new Supreme Court is indeed awful and in a just universe it would not exist, but we can't lose our head about things.

1stGear posted:

Because everyone is saying they upheld the traveo ban, but all they did is partially lift the injusture. That's awful, but just a stunt to give the party the first good news cycle in five months.

So, gently caress the SC, but don't lose your heads.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Couldn't Trump issue a 24 hour ban every day? No one suing to stop would ever have standing by the time they got to a judge

There's an exception called "capable of repetition, yet evading review." It's what allows pregnant women to have standing in abortion cases, since they often take longer than 9 months to resolve

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
A focus group of white Alabama men, lulz.

Why not just make it white men from Mississippi at that point, you're 90% of the way there anyway!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Covok posted:

Man, any time anything remotely pro-Trump happens, you all lose your heads and doomsay. Have some perspective. The travel ban thing sucks, but it isn't over yet. If you're angry, form a protest group and clog your local airport.

The LGBT sucks a lot, I won't lie. As a bi man, I know how much that will ruin lives. The only solution there is angry protest.

The new Supreme Court is indeed awful and in a just universe it would not exist, but we can't lose our head about things.

Because everyone is saying they upheld the traveo ban, but all they did is partially lift the injusture. That's awful, but just a stunt to give the party the first good news cycle in five months.

Does this mean you're going to stop wailing about how "there is no hope!" or is this a more a mood swingy thing?

sean10mm posted:

A focus group of white Alabama men, lulz.

Why not just make it white men from Mississippi at that point, you're 90% of the way there anyway!

That's the point. They barely recognize their white conservative VP but know a bunch of fake poo poo about Comey.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Covok posted:

Are you literally an onion headline

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Quorum posted:

There's a reason the entire right wing media apparatus is pivoting from "no collusion, no collusion" to "you're the collusion," I suspect.

this. i think there is something in the pipeline that will hit soon that they and trump caught wind of and its something bad enough to make them "switch" positions.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamnit where is my wittes-bomb

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This is your latest reminder that Covok is comfortably wealthy and uses this thread to amuse himself between his sizable periods of downtime at work.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

Dead, just like this nation.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Maybe they're holding it off till the sun goes down hoping trump will incriminate himself further.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

End of the day today, maybe

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/879372157700145154

Hannity's on the lookout, don't worry.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ShredsYouSay posted:

Maybe they're holding it off till the sun goes down hoping trump will incriminate himself further.

There is no bomb. There never is.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

This is your latest reminder that Covok is comfortably wealthy and uses this thread to amuse himself between his sizable periods of downtime at work.

How much are we talking? Because my recollection was he was like 23 and had no perspective outside of this election cycle.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Oxxidation posted:

Your fanfiction of me is flattering but inaccurate. Like seriously dude.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Most of these big stories have hit about 5 or 6 in the evening Eastern time, to maximize impact and eyes on the story. Expect then if at all. This guy is fairly reliable wrt predicting bombs.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Oxxidation posted:

Aren't we all? I thought SA was pretty much made up of 30 year old + computer janitors and the like at this point

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Covok posted:

I had my fill of not panicking in November 9th, 2016, thanks

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

So hannity knows what's up and is trying to intimidate wittes over it/ claim he "knows more"? Man, I dunno how anyone is saying it's dead or gonna be nothing with poo poo like that going on.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Earlier up thread there was some talk about state-based single payer.

You should listen to “The Weeds” if you don’t already, they had a whole episode talking about it. One of the biggest issues is that California, probably the best candidate for such a proposal since its economy is much larger than some countries with single payer, is dependent on a complicated web of federal money that probably can’t be relied upon if single payer were to pass. Because, as we know, republicans would actually be terrified of deferring to states rights if it meant supporting a democratic agenda.

The hypocrisy that republicans would block a state doing what it wants on healthcare, because it would probably be somewhat successful, makes me really sad. But that’s where we’re at.

Although overall I am proud of governor Brown and everything the pinkos in Sacramento have been trying to do to thumb their nose at Trump.

Single payer is not a good idea at the state level even if you are California sized, unfortunately. Another big problem would be the inevitable influx of very sick people, which you don't really have as much of a problem with when it's country to country due to immigration and so on. This would likely lead to a feedback loop.

It's simply not worth the risk, if single payer fails at the state level, which would be the likely case, it will doom the federal effort for decades.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So hannity knows what's up and is trying to intimidate wittes over it/ claim he "knows more"? Man, I dunno how anyone is saying it's dead or gonna be nothing with poo poo like that going on.

hannity is trying to imply that witte knew comey leaked his memos to the press, and is trying to imply that it was a felony that witte did not report

hannity is an idiot, of course

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lightning Lord posted:

Aren't we all? I thought SA was pretty much made up of 30 year old + computer janitors and the like at this point

There's a lot of that and also a lot of people with thankless retail backgrounds. I always feel a little out of the loop because my work is both outdoors and quite physical, not to mention poorly paid... :smith: It hurts a little hearing people chat about how people making $60k have wages depressed and such!

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Text of the revised senate bill is out

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Quorum posted:

Most of these big stories have hit about 5 or 6 in the evening Eastern time, to maximize impact and eyes on the story. Expect then if at all. This guy is fairly reliable wrt predicting bombs.

My guess is it's confirmation and more details on the CIA recording of Putin personally ordering his goons to hurt Hillary and help Trump win.

That's why we got the Trump rant this morning. Obama KNEW Russian hackers tried to hurt Hillary, he didn't do anything because he thought she would win, it's Obama who's colluding! Also Trump didn't collude or obstruct!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I wonder how long this is going to take someone to break down into plain English for me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Is this the same Senate bill leaked earlier or is this a new one?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

evilweasel posted:

hannity is trying to imply that witte knew comey leaked his memos to the press, and is trying to imply that it was a felony that witte did not report

hannity is an idiot, of course

The private memo he wrote to himself, that was not privileged or classified, that he then released as a private citizen.

Lock him up.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

No Butt Stuff posted:

I wonder how long this is going to take someone to break down into plain English for me.

It includes a six month ban from getting coverage if you don't have coverage continuously or miss two payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Teddybear posted:

It includes a six month ban from getting coverage if you don't have coverage continuously or miss two payments.

Wow, they found a way to kill even MORE people.

• Locked thread