Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would pay 80 dollars to have these games on the Switch. I do not want another hunk of plastic to deal with

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is the most rolleyesin', rear end in a top hat :smug: way to look at this, but I'm cool with not having one of these minis or a VC on the Switch since at this point if I wanted to play one of those games I'd just do so on my RGB-modded consoles. The only notable exception will forever be Earthbound since those carts go for like $200.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

This is the most rolleyesin', rear end in a top hat :smug: way to look at this, but I'm cool with not having one of these minis or a VC on the Switch since at this point if I wanted to play one of those games I'd just do so on my RGB-modded consoles. The only notable exception will forever be Earthbound since those carts go for like $200.

Same, except I have Earthbound and also a flash cart.

Also because you're not getting one for MSRP.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nate RFB posted:

why is an earthbound cart being cheaper than a snes mini an exception

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's cool that the controllers aren't wireless still

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The amount of morons being all "what a HORRIBLE value" at this is hilarious, the games list is fantastic, many of them regularly go for as much as this entire thing costs by themselves:

less laughter posted:

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi's Island
The two missing must-haves are dkc2 and chrono trigger, really. The included stuff is already basically all top tier.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

they apparently just took out a big loan, with the entirety of the development and everything related to it as collateral.

wow can't believe they got a business loan with no collateral.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

To be fair, $80 isn't going to be the cost for non-crazy people.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

The amount of morons being all "what a HORRIBLE value" at this is hilarious, the games list is fantastic, many of them regularly go for as much as this entire thing costs by themselves:

maybe, just maybe it's a bad value because 1) these will be in ridiculously short supply and 2) why not just them on the loving Switch, especially when most if not all of these are on WiiU or Wii already. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why people aren't fans of this

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I have a Wii and Wii U so like. I can play my SNES games on there if i wanted to

I wouldn't have access to Star Fox 2 of course, but plenty of others

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i like how cute and small it is. and also the games but i have them already

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DLC Inc posted:

maybe, just maybe it's a bad value because 1) these will be in ridiculously short supply and 2) why not just them on the loving Switch, especially when most if not all of these are on WiiU or Wii already. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why people aren't fans of this
maybe wait until they release them before assuming they will make the same mistake as the NES classic? Granted it's Nintendo so it's not a guarantee that they'll learn, but with the reduced game list it's likely they'll produce more and for longer.

Also I'm not ready to buy a Switch yet, and a bunch of snes games wouldn't convince me to get one any sooner.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope they do a GBA classic someday because I never actually had one

oddium posted:

i like how cute and small it is. and also the games but i have them already

Which is cuter

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they can rerelease the NES Mini but base it on the toploading one

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Which is cuter

the super fami easily

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

maybe wait until they release them before assuming they will make the same mistake as the NES classic?

lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i could be wrong but at the moment i'm feeling like tenbux for Darkest Dungeon is a really good get. it's super fun so far.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

i could be wrong but at the moment i'm feeling like tenbux for Darkest Dungeon is a really good get. it's super fun so far.

I've heard that the absolute endgame gets kinda hinky but there's a long way to go before that, lots of fun to be had. I was thinking of picking it up myself!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Which is cuter

Ohh I wonder what form factor they would go with for a hypothetical GBA classic. Original, SP, Mini? GBA SP is still probably the best portable ever

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've been playing Kingdom Heart 2 for like two hours now and I haven't done anything yet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
No reason to get mad at the SNES Classic but no real reason to be excited unless you're the type that likes collecting Nintendo memrobelia.

Still, Nintendo have no reason to bother to handle this release any better and also arguing that this is a great value because if how expensive those games usually are is a hilariously dumb argument for multiple reasons

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can confirm that Darkest Dungeon is a good game that will yield many hours of fun before the atrocious final dungeons drive you to quit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The finale of darkest dungeon, the titular darkest dungeon itself, is absurdly difficult and you will likely lose a ton of dudes. Also, once they complete a quest in the dd, those heroes will refuse to set foot inside it again, hence it can require some grinding, especially if you fail and lose some heroes while running it. That said, it's still a fantastic game and the ending is pretty intense, with a great finale to the story.

I recommend expanding the roster using a configuration file editor to have like 25 dudes because it greatly reduces the frustration of the game without really reducing the difficulty (you will still have to regularly toss folks into the bar, brothel, etc to recuperate).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

glam rock hamhock posted:

No reason to get mad at the SNES Classic but no real reason to be excited unless you're the type that likes collecting Nintendo memrobelia.

Still, Nintendo have no reason to bother to handle this release any better and also arguing that this is a great value because if how expensive those games usually are is a hilariously dumb argument for multiple reasons
No it really isn't. Even if they were on the switch it'd likely be at minimum just as expensive for all of these games. Unless you're just arguing that it's super easy to pirate these games so it's not worth buying them legitimately, which is an actual argument already made multiple times on sa within minutes of the announcement, in which case no, a legal alternative is a great offering by nintendo. And some of these games are legit the best examples of their series of all time(mmx, ff6, etc).

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I bought Watch Underscore Dogs 2 on the steam sale and the first thing it made me do was steal Not-Wu-Tang Clan's new album so I could mess with Not-Martin Shkreli who was going to buy it, and I don't know how I feel about any of that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SNES mini will outsell the Switch and all other consoles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

These kinds of releases predominantly benefit resellers and scalpers, which make them generally bad because those people are scumbags. The average consumer who actually wants to play these games will not end up paying $80 for this. They will probably not end up paying $150, even.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
There won't be enough in existence to outsell the Switch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if star fox 2 had been released it would have cost the equivalent of like $120 in 2017 Money

$80 seems fair considering you get all those other good rear end games with it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Please you guys, any more mild, low-energy criticism of a Nintendo product and Captain Invictus will have a stroke.

Think of the children.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what, no Blazeon: The Bio-Cyborg Challenge

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would pay 80 dollars to have these games on the Switch. I do not want another hunk of plastic to deal with

You'd get about half the titles for that money, cheapskate.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

No it really isn't. Even if they were on the switch it'd likely be at minimum just as expensive for all of these games. Unless you're just arguing that it's super easy to pirate these games so it's not worth buying them legitimately, which is an actual argument already made multiple times on sa within minutes of the announcement, in which case no, a legal alternative is a great offering by nintendo. And some of these games are legit the best examples of their series of all time(mmx, ff6, etc).

Like, no one that's buying the originals will care about the switch outside of collector's value. The reason they'd usually cost about that much on the VC is because they're pretty overpriced on there too. That being said, it's not an awful deal and I'm not saying that but it's not like these games are rare treasures and this thing is saving people 100s of dollars or anything. These are easy to pirate games that are only remotely hard to get legitamatly because Nintendo sucks at making that stuff available. It's not a bad deal but it's not really a great one either. It is what it is. Goons bitch too much and others defend Nintendo to readily no matter what they do.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yeah guys how dare those IDIOTS not be excited about decades old re-packaged SNES roms in an $80 plastic encasing, them's stupid motherfuckers am i right or am i right?!

some minds are simply unable to grasp what it truly means to be a Nintendo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Nintendo boldly competing with the Xbox "wrong kind of RAM" meme by offering a SNES Mini with the wrong kind of Kong.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

paying $80 for games that are literally over 20 years old, even for a lot of them at once, is pretty insulting while steam summer sale is currently happening

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KingSlime posted:

yeah guys how dare those IDIOTS not be excited about decades old re-packaged SNES roms in an $80 plastic encasing, them's stupid motherfuckers am i right or am i right?!
glad you understand!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Cowcaster posted:

paying $80 for games that are literally over 20 years old, even for a lot of them at once, is pretty insulting while steam summer sale is currently happening

you do not have what it takes to be a Nintendo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it seems kind of similar to going out and dropping a benjamin on a ti-83 to play drug wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The new noclip is good. Square execs not shy about saying how bad they hosed it

• Locked thread