Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Thanks.

Uhh I guess moral of the story is only buy iSi brand whippers. That's pretty terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Feenix posted:

Funny things get said from time to time, but this actually caused me to spit take onto my desk.

Thank you for this.

For content: I see a lot of recipes and stuff refer to Maldon salt for finishing. What is Maldon. Yes I could google, but I like talking poo poo out with you lot.

[edit]

3 things:

1) this is sad. Condolences.

2) Fitness chick's last name was "burger". I love it.

3) Reasonable or not, I always kind of think about what would happen if the blade on my vitamix shot off. I'm pretty sure it would go up, but for some reason, in my imagination, it frisbees, full force, into my gut. For this reason, I don't let my 4 year old watch me at eye-counter level when I make smoothies and poo poo.

Crazy, I know.

When a spinning object like that lifts off it generally goes sideways, not just straight up. My father had a story from back when he worked at DEC in the 60s and 70s, they had a very large platter based data storage device, essentially a massive HDD, used for storing company data. This device could have the platter stacks switched out and occasionally needed maintenance performed on it, replacement of motors, stuff like that. So the thing had a lid that could be unlocked and opened to get at the inside. They were working on it and went off to have lunch and somehow the thing got turned on with the lid open. The stack of platters slowly lifted off from the spindle and then the second it tilted in the air it took off and embedded itself in the nearest wall, they were really lucky no one was in the way of the drat thing.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

I want to use this whip cream chat to inform you all that I "invented" alcoholic whipped cream like a decade ago but it was gross as gently caress so we never made it again. I feel like I should let people know.

I have made whiskey whipped cream many times to great success.

Also, I am now glad I spent the money on a good iSi whipper.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Family Photo posted:

Grinding peppercorns releases flavor.

Grinding salt just makes the salt smaller.

Just buy the salt in the size you want.
I grind salt because I want it really granular on rubs but if I'm stirring it into something I want it ground fine. And I don't want to deal with two different salt supplies so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

Bhodi posted:

I grind salt because I want it really granular on rubs but if I'm stirring it into something I want it ground fine. And I don't want to deal with two different salt supplies so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The thing I like about diamond crystal kosher / maldon is their structure - the flakes are flat and kinda irregular. I think it gives it a nice crunchy "pop." idk buy a box and try a triangle test sometime. Salt is cheap.

I always wonder if I'm iodine deficient though. I guess the answer is to just eat more seafood :)

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

Steve Yun posted:

Uhh I guess moral of the story is only buy iSi brand whippers. That's pretty terrifying.

For real. Dave Arnold has some good things to say about iSi safety and quality control in this episode of his podcast. Starts at about 14m40s.

http://heritageradionetwork.org/podcast/omelets-so-white/

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Family Photo posted:

Salt is cheap.
Someone will always manage to make things expensive though. What do you say? Ultimate Purple 9X Bamboo salt? Sounds impressive, surely worth the price!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I got a Lodge Griddle surface for camping..

I seasoned it per some instructions I found online that seemed reasonable... Vegetable oil, wipe off excess, 325 degrees for 1 hour in oven. Then I turned off oven and let it sit until it cooled.

It came out gummy/tacky.

I scrubbed it clean and am going to try again.

Do you think I left too much oil on? Should I use melted shortening instead? Different temp? Longer time?

Thoughts?

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

Feenix posted:

Do you think I left too much oil on?
Yes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gummy is always from too much oil. Wipe it off so there is only a shine from the oil. If you can see any depth/thickness to the oil, it's too much. It helps to warm up the cast iron which lowers the viscosity of the oil and makes it easier to get a super thin coat on.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Am I good to just use more oil or should I hold out for melted shortening?

Thanks guys! :)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I always just use peanut oil

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Feenix posted:

Am I good to just use more oil or should I hold out for melted shortening?

Thanks guys! :)

Any high-heat neutral oil is fine. I use canola.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

325F seems pretty low to get a good seasoning, too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Schpyder posted:

325F seems pretty low to get a good seasoning, too.

So... higher? What temp then?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Feenix posted:

So... higher? What temp then?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
1 hour?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
As hot as possible, until it stops smoking. Flaxseed oil is best but anything works. Each coat takes about an hour, and I do seven coats.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm of the opinion that for carbon or cast if you worry about it then it'll fail.

one of the few observable quantum constants in our world.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The best seasoning is time and repetition

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Alright so...

Oil.
Wipe well.
400+ for about an hour.
Cool to handle-able temp.
Oil.
Wipe well.

Etc...

Yeas?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

The best seasoning is time and repetition

It's a griddle for a camp stove for 4th of July camping. I just want it easy-ish to work with.

I can give it time and repetition after.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Feenix posted:

Alright so...

Oil.
Wipe well.
400+ for about an hour.
Cool to handle-able temp.
Oil.
Wipe well.

Etc...

Yeas?

Pretty much. For more details, Sheryl Canter is the best source I've found.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Try to keep the temp between low and medium when you're cooking, high heat and new cast iron tend to = sticking

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm of the opinion that for carbon or cast if you worry about it then it'll fail.
I was gifted a brand new carbon steel pan a while back and just couldn't get an even seasoning that stick like all my cast iron has. I called my buddy who has pretty much always used them and he was like dude who cares just keep using it and it'll be fine. I stopped putting it away and it's just lived on my range ever since and I use it for everything. I'll wipe it down with oil if it needs it or wash it with a wet rag if it needs that. The appearance changes from time to time but it's always nonstick and always ready to party. They are like a codependent girlfriend, the less you act like you care the harder it works to gain your affection.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I just oil my cast iron up and throw it into the oven while it cools after cooking dinner. It helps maintain the season, or so I tell myself. I'm pretty tempted to try to cut one up and see what a good season looks like in cross-section, to be honest.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

I was gifted a brand new carbon steel pan a while back and just couldn't get an even seasoning that stick like all my cast iron has. I called my buddy who has pretty much always used them and he was like dude who cares just keep using it and it'll be fine. I stopped putting it away and it's just lived on my range ever since and I use it for everything. I'll wipe it down with oil if it needs it or wash it with a wet rag if it needs that. The appearance changes from time to time but it's always nonstick and always ready to party. They are like a codependent girlfriend, the less you act like you care the harder it works to gain your affection.
:hellyeah:

Reminds me that I need to get a round bottom carbon wok

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks all, gonna get some organic flax and do up Sheryl Canter's method. Her logic seems sound. :)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don't know if anyone cares, but ThermoWorks is having their annual Independence Day sale. 20% off on red, white, and blue Thermapen Mk4s, and there's a few other things on sale too.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Sorry if I missed Grill Chat and maybe someone can redirect me towards it, but we were just gifted a small O-Grill and while it's nice for camping, I'd like to buy a larger grill for the home, but ideally under $400... is this doable? Also, I'm not very handy, is it a prerequisite to be able to fix your own grill if something in it breaks?

It's a new world to me, I only know Webers are kind of standard procedure... I don't need it to be a huge, 3-tiered beast with the flanking hot plates, but something where I won't be crowding the grill with three to four large-ish items. And gas. I also have a Walmart gift card fwiw.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

zenguitarman posted:

Sorry if I missed Grill Chat and maybe someone can redirect me towards it, but we were just gifted a small O-Grill and while it's nice for camping, I'd like to buy a larger grill for the home, but ideally under $400... is this doable? Also, I'm not very handy, is it a prerequisite to be able to fix your own grill if something in it breaks?

It's a new world to me, I only know Webers are kind of standard procedure... I don't need it to be a huge, 3-tiered beast with the flanking hot plates, but something where I won't be crowding the grill with three to four large-ish items. And gas. I also have a Walmart gift card fwiw.

There's a BBQ thread, they might have better advice than here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

That said, first decide if you want gas or charcoal. Then look for a grill with thick steel walls and a large enough cooking surface. You can find a decent grill for under $400 I'm almost positive. Mine was ~$150 on Amazon and it's perfectly serviceable, operates as a smoker, too.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
Tangential to grill chat:

My new house has an outdoor natural gas line! I've never used a gas grill and my initial research has me underwhelmed.

I'm thinking about buying a crab cooker like this https://tejassmokers.com/Crab-Hi-Heat-Cookers/27 and using it as a wok burner. Am I going to burn my house down/face off?

Is 200,000 BTU/hour overkill for wok cooking? Should I just buy a gas grill with a 'power burner?'

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I am looking for a coffee maker that will turn off its heating element once the coffee level becomes low, ie if the pot is half-full keep it warm, if it's a quarter full then turn the warmer off.

It would also be good if it could accept a filtered water source

Any suggestions?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'm far from an expert (there's a coffee thread full of them) but wouldn't brewing into a thermal carafe be more ideal than putting electricity and trust into a hot plate?

I had this Zojirushi drip machine for years, it would keep coffee hot for well over 12 hours if you kept it sealed. Shame they don't make it anymore, though they have other similar models I can't speak to.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 26, 2017

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

There's a 4th of July deal for the Thermapen MK4 for $79.20. On my Amex I also have an offer for $15 back on any $75+ for any purchase from ThermoWorks -- is there any possibility of a better deal than this popping up in the next year or so?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
No

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
So fellas, I have a dumb idea. My parents got me a nice knife set as a housewarming gift, and the most interesting part of the set is this terrifying peeler with a blade like a combat knife. Like, this thing looks like a Man-Opener. The idea I have is to grill up a nice steak or chicken breast (or maybe sous vide instead of grilling, I've been planning on buying a Joule) and then hacking it up with this dread peeler for a steak sandwich or a pita wrap or something. I'm positive it's sharp enough, but not positive it will work out beyond that. Has anyone used a peeler like this before? If not, why do they even make peelers this brutal?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Without horizontal movement or a concave blade I'd just use a knife.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Doesn't sound like it would work well. Peelers work best on firm vegetables, and a good one can take off butternut squash skin. Just slice the meat against the grain with a knife and you can get it thin and tender enough for a sandwich or wrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doc Walrus posted:

So fellas, I have a dumb idea. My parents got me a nice knife set as a housewarming gift, and the most interesting part of the set is this terrifying peeler with a blade like a combat knife. Like, this thing looks like a Man-Opener. The idea I have is to grill up a nice steak or chicken breast (or maybe sous vide instead of grilling, I've been planning on buying a Joule) and then hacking it up with this dread peeler for a steak sandwich or a pita wrap or something. I'm positive it's sharp enough, but not positive it will work out beyond that. Has anyone used a peeler like this before? If not, why do they even make peelers this brutal?

Picture?