Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was just asking because I didn't know. I wasn't calling you out or anything. Cuusoo was already rebranded into Ideas when I started collecting again so I'm not that familiar with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Ah, good to know. I thought maybe you were annoyed at my use of past tense since Cuusoo is still active (and still Japanese), which I could've easily checked before posting.

For content: found 100 pieces for the Curiosity rover in my old stash. Any tips to clean them up or is water+soap good enough? I'm afraid these old white pieces won't match the new ones I still have to buy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Waltzing Along posted:

60132 is $65.

Different gas station?

On the lego website, it lists the service station as being $120.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

On the lego website, it lists the service station as being $120.

This one? For $90? It's £65 in the UK https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Service-Station-60132

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

duz posted:

They're not the original molds since they don't have the Lego stamp on the pieces. However the quality on them is so high, it very well could be the same factory and they just made two sets of molds, one Lego for during the day and one Lepin for during the night.

Seeing as how this is exactly like they do on other products (VW engines during day, chine car engines during night. Gitzo tripods during day, Benro tripods during night) i am sure this is how Lepin is made as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The I-Brix Kickstarter is back!

Consisting of a board you put underneath the set, and 1x1 bricks that light up, up to 8 inches (20cm) away from the board. So it won't work on the top of your modulars.

Early early bird set is $40 with only 10 lights, and $69 with 20 lights, so it's not cheap, especially with $10 shipping (US only, sorry rest of the world). Maybe this time he'll do it!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
That actually looks interesting.

I have no idea what type of mechanism is used to power the bricks wirelessly. Could there be some radiation concerns?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not unless motorized tooth brushes or smartphones that charge wirelessly concern you, because it's the same basic tech.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

But those are usually on a pedestal rather than about 8 inches away.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

They must have changed it today. It was 120 dollars last night.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ineptitude posted:

Seeing as how this is exactly like they do on other products (VW engines during day, chine car engines during night. Gitzo tripods during day, Benro tripods during night) i am sure this is how Lepin is made as well.

Lepin uses different plastic. I doubt it is the same factory.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
The key seems to be the base which at 10x10x.25 means an awkward fit for large baseplate builds (I think my Sydney operas house is 15x15) or multiple 10x10 plates, like modular connect builds.

Id rather have more transmitters than lights, and the 150 package is where that starts to happen, unless you pay with multiple accounts.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I've dropped my UCS B wing twice and that thing is held together by hopes and prayers. Getting it back together was an hour long ordeal.

The worst one for me is the First Order tie fighter. If you drop it, it will land on the wing edge, which is all a decorative bit of trim that goes flying. And if you drop it hard enough, the whole wing comes disconnected... by ripping out the connection point. Which is impressive design wise but much more annoying to fix.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My cats routinely knock down the Tie Advanced Prototype.

A bitch to put together again. Lost a shooter and one circle plate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Lepin uses different plastic. I doubt it is the same factory.

They could just swap out the molds and use different plastic at night.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ineptitude posted:

That actually looks interesting.

I have no idea what type of mechanism is used to power the bricks wirelessly. Could there be some radiation concerns?

It's an electromagnetic field and they have to stay within FCC guidelines for that so it's probably fine. The field is only effective within a short range, maybe just don't leave your hand on it for hours at a time?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you don't get sick from your cell phone or all the radio waves being pumped through you right now, you should be fine with a lego plate that wirelessly powers some LEDs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So no sending radio signals to my fillings? Aww.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If one of those LEDs fits in a cheese wedge, it fits in a tooth. Be the change.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
More akin to a minuscule version of living next to some high voltage lines.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Vintersorg posted:

My cats routinely knock down the Tie Advanced Prototype.

A bitch to put together again. Lost a shooter and one circle plate.

I wouldn't be that upset if all my cat did was knock them over. Mine likes to chew on any piece small enough to fit into her mouth. She hasn't swallowed any yet, but a few of the thinner pieces now have kitty bite marks on them.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

They could just swap out the molds and use different plastic at night.

Back in the old days the way it worked was that factory managers would run the line for 10 hours on the clock, producing official Brandname products, and then another two hours "off the books" and send that material to the "black market." Once those items hit the market they were more or less impossible to tell apart. These items would carry all the official markings, so it wasnt like they changed out the machines to make the shoes say 'Niky' or 'calwin klein'. China has cracked down on this quite a bit (there was a big push before they got the olympics not to mention their general push to be a more legitimate market place to attract more investors).

The fact that Lepin don't bear the lego mark and pretty much every review always find some disparity in the prices makes me think it's a separate factory entirely.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lepin probably has a hookup with whoever produces the actual lego molds?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not exactly rocket science reverse engineering lego bricks. They all have precise measurements that anyone with any knowledge of manufacturing molds is going to be able to duplicate easily. And even then Lepin fucks it up sometimes, not all their bricks fit exactly like lego bricks. But they got close enough that most don't notice.

By far the hardest part for Lepin is going to be getting the correct part list for brand new sets (which they also gently caress up sometimes).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looking at a review of the Lepin Saturn V, I definitely won't be buying any of their sets. They seem to just put their injection points anywhere. The smooth rounded slopes of the exterior of the rocket were covered in pock marks from the injection.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
I remember hearing a long time ago somewhere that Lego keeps a pretty tight handle on their molds and immediately melts them down when they reach their end of life in the pursuit of brick consistency. I'm sure it's not outside the realm of possibility that a few genuine molds have somehow made it over to China but it seems more likely that the Chinese manufacturers have built their own if they're doing full-scale production. Consistent precision injection molded parts can actually be quite complicated to produce with all the different variables involved but there is also a large amount of experienced and knowledgable talent in that field available in the Far Eastern countries.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DethMarine21 posted:

I remember hearing a long time ago somewhere that Lego keeps a pretty tight handle on their molds and immediately melts them down when they reach their end of life in the pursuit of brick consistency. I'm sure it's not outside the realm of possibility that a few genuine molds have somehow made it over to China but it seems more likely that the Chinese manufacturers have built their own if they're doing full-scale production. Consistent precision injection molded parts can actually be quite complicated to produce with all the different variables involved but there is also a large amount of experienced and knowledgable talent in that field available in the Far Eastern countries.

The exo-suit had a problem where they re-used a mold from the 80's that should have been retired. Basically everyone had problems with the little robot arms staying attached.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone ever get a set and it end up not being what you wanted/expected.

I just got the Silver Champion. It's big. Like really really big. Way too big. I got it for a good price, too. CIB with manual. I wonder if I could trade this for a Medieval Market Village?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I had a similar issue with the grand prix racer set. It was really huge and i ended up taking it apart and cannibalizing it for pieces. Now that I think about it, I've done that with all the technic sets I've bought. I took apart the Jeep type thing I had to make a different car, I took apart the grand prix racer, and I took apart the AROCs truck before I even finished it. With that one, I just wanted more bits and to see what the pneumatic parts were all about. Kind of interesting, but it didn't work well in the design of the truck. It was too jerky and din't work well.

Thinking about the Lepin stuff where people buy out of print Lego sets. Maybe Lego should have a vote on classic sets to bring back. Each year they bring back a few sets that went out of print that people want to buy. Though it would probably just be UCS Millennium Falcons every year.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Haunted House.
Boats.
Modulars.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Haunted House.
Boats.
Modulars.

I own the Haunted House and I still would love to see it reprinted. I'm not sure what would hold Lego back from reprinting "classics" like the retired modular lines and other expensive but retired sets.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, it would piss off scalpers.

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.
Buddy of mine got me a knock-off Evil Dead Ash that just came with a blade to put in his hand, so I built him a housing for his chainsaw blade.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

NickThorn posted:

Buddy of mine got me a knock-off Evil Dead Ash that just came with a blade to put in his hand, so I built him a housing for his chainsaw blade.

Groovy!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I had a missing piece in my Saturn V. Thankfully it was exterior and didn't stop the build. Do I have to pay for replacements or how does that work?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

The I-Brix Kickstarter is back!

Consisting of a board you put underneath the set, and 1x1 bricks that light up, up to 8 inches (20cm) away from the board. So it won't work on the top of your modulars.

Early early bird set is $40 with only 10 lights, and $69 with 20 lights, so it's not cheap, especially with $10 shipping (US only, sorry rest of the world). Maybe this time he'll do it!

He's never successfully finished a Kickstarter campaign, and first-timer hardware campaigns are notoriously bad at production. They're also notorious for getting ripped off by Chinese bootleggers who have a product available at half that price months before any backers get their hardware. And the fact that they don't have FCC certification yet is another problem.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I had a missing piece in my Saturn V. Thankfully it was exterior and didn't stop the build. Do I have to pay for replacements or how does that work?

Double-check all your bags and make sure it just didn't get missed in a corner, and check all around your work area. Chances are it's somewhere and you just missed it.

Otherwise, you can just send an email to Lego's customer support and tell them what's missing, and they'll ship you a replacement for free.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pyroclastic posted:

Double-check all your bags and make sure it just didn't get missed in a corner, and check all around your work area. Chances are it's somewhere and you just missed it.

Otherwise, you can just send an email to Lego's customer support and tell them what's missing, and they'll ship you a replacement for free.

I checked everything. I had a few bags open in the box itself and some loose pieces in the box. It's a fairly big piece.

Weirdly I had a decent amount of extra pieces, around 15+.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Lego has a form you can fill out for missing pieces. They'll mail it out to you for free in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Is there any general advice for printing out instructions for older sets? Does it work well enough to differentiate colors to be worth it?

I recently got my castle and pirate sets from storage at my mom's house and would prefer printed ones to do with the kids.