Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'd love to have seen Showtime's reaction when they saw this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Wow, I never knew this existed:

http://www.lynchnet.com/tp/tp29.html

It's pretty loving dumb and has a bunch of that lame Windom Earle crap.

EARLE
Think of us rear end astronauts.

A crude, hand-painted sign falls into view. It reads: PITTSBURGH, STUPID.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
What do other folks think about my theory that Laura may have been intended to trap BOB within her but Cooper's communication to her across time ("Don't take the ring") interfered and caused her to do the wrong thing, being killed instead. That would really double down on the whole idea of season 3 being entirely the runaway effects of Cooper entering the lodge unprepared.

Clearly her simply being murdered by BOB isn't what was intended because killing her set off a chain of events that let BOB escape the lodge permanently aboard a doppelganger.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have a feeling NiN isn't gonna be the only big name on the show. We aren't even halfway through the season.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone else reminded of the hitchhiker segment from Creepshow 2 with the 4th dimensional space hobos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzHKKo1oKD0

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

cis autodrag posted:

What do other folks think about my theory that Laura may have been intended to trap BOB within her but Cooper's communication to her across time ("Don't take the ring") interfered and caused her to do the wrong thing, being killed instead. That would really double down on the whole idea of season 3 being entirely the runaway effects of Cooper entering the lodge unprepared.

Clearly her simply being murdered by BOB isn't what was intended because killing her set off a chain of events that let BOB escape the lodge permanently aboard a doppelganger.

I think you're wrong because Laura doesn't actually listen to Cooper.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

wa27 posted:

The average human eats 7 frogroaches in their sleep every year.

average person eats 7 frogroaches a year" factoid actualy (sic) just statistical error. average person eats 0 frogroaches per year. Frogroaches Georg, who lives in cave & eats over 10,000 each day, is an outlier adn should not have been counted

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurtofan posted:

:hordes of dark bums come out and ravage your corpse:

They were performing interpretive medical care.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

:hordes of dark bums come out and ravage your corpse:

That sounds like Ugandan tabloid headline.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

The Woodsman trying to get a light from the people in the car reminded me of Kentucky Route Zero, for some reason.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The coolest thing (well there were so many) about the episode is that it makes Laura Palmer more of an active agent, than a victim.

It'd own bones if she comes back and just destroys the poo poo out of Bob.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

And More posted:

I think you're wrong because Laura doesn't actually listen to Cooper.

That's my point. She's supposed to not put the ring on but he tells her not to take the ring so then she does the opposite because she's spent a decent chunk of her life actively rebelling against just about everything.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Music Theory posted:

The Woodsman trying to get a light from the people in the car reminded me of Kentucky Route Zero, for some reason.

For someone so old-timey in his aesthetics and disinterest in modern technology, Lynch is really good at evoking video game feelings.

Also during the entire White Lodge scene it made me realize that all that fantastical imagery with the movie theater is anchored in something he would have experienced as a kid and have great fondness for. It's like if a modern young person used the imagery of video game glitches and VHS tracking lines and fuzzy CRT glow to convey a world outside of our own, and even though it's completely different from the things I grew up with I can still recognize that and share his sense of wonder.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Baloogan posted:

This is the greatest tv show.

Holy gently caress. gently caress HOLY
gently caress
gently caress

holy poo poo.

Knew that the a-bomb would be what would get you off.

Anyvay, the a-bomb unleashed a host of evil spirits from an angry mother god, plaguing mankind. It took years to gestate but eventually infiltrated a young virgin woman tempted by premarital relations through the perfidious influence of broadcast media. Evil can never die, and the only hope is the golden light of transformation after death, sent by a heavenly host who is deeply involved with day to day events on earth.

Confirmation that Lynch is a hardcore evangelical, achieved.

edit: something something helping drifters/poor will get you killed/corrupted

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Modrasone posted:

Now just promise me they'll do a good job of the bit where mother extends her infinite birth tube towards the inside of the nuclear explosion

I like this sentence.
It is a good sentence.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

basic hitler posted:

how are you reading this into a bunch of shots without context or dialogue?

You just said the same thing basically. So help me out here, how does this depict the creation of a lodge? I want both of your takes on this, whatever it is.

You are like the most miserable person to have a conversation with about anything!! I remember you used to have brief moments of lucidity between the violent unending spam you used to produce in GBS so somewhere in that brain of yours is the ability to be a cool guy to talk to so please help me out here. I know you like twin peaks and Sorry for being rude at you but buddy come on. I've thoroughly enjoyed this show until now and this crap episode was Obtuse as gently caress even by lynch standards. Please help me out buddy. Maybe join the other guys here and help me connect some dots to this weird dream-like footage with next to no connection to anything that's happened so far. Maybe you can make the exact same claim and help me. You can call me a pleb while you do it just make this masturbatory nonsense make sense for me, because to me it's almost an homage to the Toonami-era animes of days past where the people maknig the show would depict goku summoning the energy for a spirit bomb by grunting and groaning and hoding his hands over his head for several weeks worth of episodes.

and all of you stop pretending this poo poo is obvious because it isn't. It's abstract artsy fartsy poo poo that's begging you to read into it whatever you want and nothing that's aired for the entirety of season 3 has given any credence to these suggestions that I can tell.

lol this is guy

reminds me of the Turturro speech from Miller's Crossing

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

Or she was always intended to be the sacrificial lamb whose death brought together the right people in the right place to banish BOB forever, and Cooper just blew it at the end.

Or maybe the plan was always for Cooper to fail, to let his doppelganger run around for 25 years and then get sucked back in to the Black Lodge, taking BOB with him. At this point, who knows?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I think the only thing we can be sure of right now is that the world would be a better place if middle-class white people would just give a hobo a drat light.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hmmmm, from the original Twin Peaks S2 finale script

quote:

EARLE
Oh, man, what a cheater! Sister Mary Holy Water crams
for finals.
(grabs the rosary and tosses it out the window,
slides closer to her)
Hey, you want to know something? Cooper's birthday is
April 19th, 1956. That means his moon is in Aries. Get
it?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

hmmmm, from the original Twin Peaks S2 finale script

Frogroach is coop confirmed

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i like that the white lodge, which has been roughly described as "good", is still pretty nightmarish to human eyes. it's probably a mistake to perceive its actions as any type of benevolence. rather its inhabitants simply have motivations that happen to oppose the black lodge's and in the particular events documented by the show those happen to be to human benefit. if they were benevolent in the most human sense of the word i don't think they'd create a girl specifically to be horribly raped repeatedly until she was murdered.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Great episode, went full Lynch. Was it shown that the hobos actually took Bob out of fakeCoop? I thought they just sort of revealed Bob, but their ritual was mainly putting fakeCoop back together.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I thought the episode was boring but the CGI nuke was cool I guess

Pretty unbelievable that no one had matches in the 1950s

I know, I know, ooo so arty and edgy oh wow so genius

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
To those who read the secret history do they talk about the testing of the a bomb at all?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

moist turtleneck posted:

I thought the episode was boring but the CGI nuke was cool I guess

Pretty unbelievable that no one had matches in the 1950s

I know, I know, ooo so arty and edgy oh wow so genius

basic hitler sockpuppet confirmed

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Why are people so sure that purple dimension is the White Lodge? We've heard descriptions of the place and it looks nothing like that.

I think it's more likely that the purple dimension is a third, unrelated place (the Gray Lodge?) that serves as a neutral transfer point that redirects traffic between Earth and the Lodges.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I don't necessarily think the laura orb we saw get sent to Earth is Laura Palmer. My theory is that the White Lodge (or whatever the palace looking place ends up being) mass produces 'Laura Palmers' persumably as a response to Bob's presence. IMO this falls in line with what we see in the original run actually, with Maddie Ferguson obviously looking just like Laura AND being killed by Bob just like Laura was. And from what very little we know about the original plans to continue the series I'm pretty sure they wanted to bring in a third red-headed 'Laura', so who knows how many 'Laura Palmers' there could be. Would also fall in line with what we've seen this season with there being some sort of Lodge manufactured Coop double. If they can make multiple Coops makes sense they could make multiple 'Lauras'.

Maybe different instances of Laura are manufactured 'pure souls' (or whatever the gently caress) meant to draw in Bob, a parasite, presumably because they're ideal sources of garmonbozia. So that's, like, why's Bob wanted to contaminate Laura so badly—she could've been an ideal host

idk makes some sense to me. I definitely don't think we have enough context yet to say anything for certain about what we saw last night though, aside from the fact that it was definitely some freaky poo poo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy gently caress, what did I just watch. I mean, there have been some outlandish stuff that Lynch has made but what the gently caress was that? I'm not even saying I didn't like it, but :stare:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I just want to thank Showtime for giving David Lynch money and 18 hours of television time to fill as he pleases.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
something that's really sticking with me is the idea that Mother lives inside the fiber of everything. I took the incredible explosion sequence as a microscopic zoom into the the atom that the human race foolishly split, allowing mother to release pure evil directly into the world in a way she was so far unable to do. But Mother is the source, and she is primordial, which makes the glass box "experiment" that has the ability to conjure her the Most Dangerous Human Endeavor since the a-bomb.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
So the black lump with BOB's face that the ghost hobos extracted from Dark Cooper... We're calling that the BOB Blob, right? Right?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Killer BlOB

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
yes and i hear he has a law blog

e: also you think he was extracted?? it seems like BOB is what's keeping him alive, so I think seeing his face was just a reminder that it's BOB's power that the woodsmen are harnessing

Poppy Nogood fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 26, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
When he woke up and with the black eyes I think he is now pure Bob.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bobkatt013 posted:

When he woke up and with the black eyes I think he is now pure Bob.

RAW-bert :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just a heads up for people ITT, this image is making the rounds under the guise that it's a leaked screencap of Episode 9:

But it's fake, though a pretty well done fake!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jesus somebody needs to turn down their saturation.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why is everyone calling that thing mother? Am I thinking of the right thing? The naked white bird face that vomited up a stream of bob ejaculate?

Okay so does everyone involved in the art direction think that the mushroom cloud is the part with all the nuclear reactions? Or did they think we as an audience would think that and needed the shorthand of oh this is a nuke, look inside, look how fuckin' crazy it is here. Because it led directly into a scene of a convenience store that skipped forwards and backwards so much I don't understand why they didn't start at a mushroom cloud, then rewind backwards to the double flash nuclear critical pile or whatever on the ground.
So those hobos are a metaphor for splitting the atom yes? They used to be happy plutonium atoms with enriching jobs and now they're, gently caress, don't make me look this up, very angry displaced cobalt hobos wandering around looking for spare electrons or leptons or whatever the gently caress radioactive orphans do to fix their goddamn mass balances. Or "got a light" is just a real fuckin cool way to rub it in that humanity should probably watch what it sets on nuclear fire because look at the consequences. It's the "used enough dynamite there, butch?" of nuclear holocausts.

Whole lotta jizz imagery last night.

That poem was cool and the frog bug was pitiful and gross.

Last night was the oops-all-berries of weird david lynch poo poo.

e: like at the very least the nuke doesn't spring forth a mushroom cloud fully formed. it doesn't start as a tiny mushroom cloud and get larger. It blows out, then the heat rises and the fully formed smoke ball goes up leaving a tail behind.

e2: I'm pretty sure!!!!! Maybe!

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 27, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Why is everyone calling that thing mother? Am I thinking of the right thing? The naked white bird face that vomited up a stream of bob ejaculate?

It's the same creature that came through the glass box in New York and was pursuing Coop while he worked his way back to the real world, which the eyeless woman referred to as her mother.

EDIT: Oops I guess I have a bad memory for otherworldly ladies

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's the same creature that came through the glass box in New York and was pursuing Coop while he worked his way back to the real world, which the eyeless woman referred to as her mother.
Actually, it was Ronette's actress, the one credited as like "American girl" or something who said that. The eyeless woman didn't talk.

But yeah, that's where we get the "mother" name from. There's also a creepy reference to a "mother of all others" in the Secret History of Twin Peaks book, which made me think it's going to be the "big bad" of the series.